• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why are you not going to buy a PS5?

• I have a PC and will play most games there.

Votes: 193 9.6%
  • I have no interest in Sony first party games.

Votes: 223 11.1%
  • I can't afford it.

Votes: 60 3.0%
  • I can't justify another console purchase.

Votes: 128 6.4%
  • I (have) | (will buy) a PS5

Votes: 1,297 64.5%
  • Other, please comment.

Votes: 109 5.4%

• Total voters

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for a revision with a smaller footprint like a slim version in 2-3 years time. Hopefully it's cheaper by then too, but price isn't really a barrier. I couldn't fit the current PS5 into my living room set up as is. Plus my gaming habits have shifted towards indie games which are available on other platforms, there's nothing really enticing to play on PS5 for me at this point so I don't feel like I'm missing out by waiting.

Dec 23, 2017
I've been a huge Sony fan since the PS1, but I'm skipping out on PS5 because I don't want to be tied down to their ecosystem anymore.

I'm trying to focus on PC gaming because I can do a lot of things, like emulation, VR, I can play old games on steam from like 2 decades ago too.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of stock.
Not many games that interest me beyond Astro and Demon's Souls for now.
Ugly. Possibly the ugliest console I have ever seen.
Possible hardware issues and controller analog drift.
Barely any storage

Pretty meh overall, which means I won't get one until another two or three years.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I expected the poll to go any other way. That being said, I already own 2 because I love games and console warring is stupid.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Honestly, I just think it's (ps5) ugly. I'm gonna wait for the next revision. Meanwhile I have a ps4 pro and a series x. So should be fine. .. But if bloodborne 2 comes out tomorrow I'm buying that ugly sob right away.

AristoCat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting Gran Turismo 7 to get one. I tend to play less these days and I already bought a Series X for the games to come and play with friends.

Anjin M

Oct 27, 2017
The Inland Empire
The main reason I went to PS4 last gen was because Microsoft colossally effed up last gen. If Yakuza hadn't gone multi-plat, I might have stayed with PS. But backward compatibility and Game Pass on XSX lured me back.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Waiting until one of the major console manufacturers stop using slave labour before jumping into the next generation. Fuck them for not stopping this shit right away.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I usually wait for the 'pro' versions of Sony machines.

I had loan of a friends machine during Xmas and the current PS5 is such a horrendously huge machine. I want to see how they'll slim it down. If they can.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No interest in their first party, apart from Spiderman (full blown sequel, not like MM). Also think their eco system is deficient interms of crossplay, services and general lack of QoL. No rush at the moment.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Working on a deep PS4 backlog, my PS4 Pro is only like a year old and I've been enjoying the games on that. Really don't see a ton of reasons to get a PS5, other than Demon Souls. Plus, it is near impossible to track a PS5 down, also not sold on how reliable the hardware currently is. So, I'll probably wait for a while until there is a revision or next gen exclusive games I just can't live without.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I wasn't going to buy one, I was going to wait for a slim model, because it's so big and ugly and hard to get. Butttttt, then my friend got one and it was too big for all of his furniture so he sold it to me at below market price, so I have one now.

It's still big and ugly, but opportunity is opportunity.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Probably a dumb reason but the PS4 put me off the PS5.

Cheap build quality plus louder than a space shuttle taking off. Shame cause the PS5 by all accounts fixed these issues but I had just had enough.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
At first I was planning to buy a PS5 soon after getting a Series X back in November, but Sony's first party output up until now hasn't motivated me to buy one yet, and its BC solution was very underwhelming in my opinion, especially when compared to Xbox.

I still want to get a PS5 since I own over 400 PS4 games and would like to replay a bunch of them with improvements, but I'll wait until Horizon 2 and other big exclusives are released, then I'll finally play Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima in sweet 4K60.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I had already planned to Xbox series x for a couple of years as I have long term game pass and the first year of a console us usually not great.

I'll pick one up in a couple if years when initial issues have been solved, there will be deals on any games I want from.the first 2 years and there might be a refined slim version as I hate the way the PS5 looks

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
No good reason to jump ship. Tons to play on my PS4 for now and the foreseeable future, including cross gen games. I might wait for the inevitable slim model. The current SKUs are garish and expensive.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly game on PC nowadays, and I'm super excited to see hopefully more of their first party launch on PC! But the PS5 doesn't seem to be worth investing in right now, in my opinion. There seem to be a lot of issues that I'm not interested in dealing with, along with the under developed OS. I tend to pick up a PlayStation console towards the end of the generation when the revised versions go on sale, but we'll see if they launch more titles on PC.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm waiting a few years (I'm a patient gamer) for the slim revision/price drop. Like I picked up my PS4 during that Black Friday where I got a PS4 slim and Spider-man for $200.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for more games, availability, and hoping for a lower priced version to come out that can fit nicely with my current shelving setup. For anyone that says just rearrange or make a new shelf, in the span of a year my wife and I installed

• a new kitchen extension (wiring, backsplash, cabinets, lighting, pot rack, shelving, island)
  • dug out a 12' wide pit to install a fire pit and gravel feature
  • dug out and laid a concrete foundation for a shed, and installed said shed

So it's not for lack of ability. I don't want to. The console should fit my life, not the other way around. PS4 and Pro were physically beautifully designed consoles that fit a wide variety of setups, I don't know why Sony lost their way.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I do plan on getting one. But most of my gaming time nowadays is on Switch. It's just easier to play in small bursts on a break from work, or while sitting on the couch with my wife while we watch some mindless tv. We only have one TV at the moment as well, and I always feel bad taking it up with the PS4, so it's not getting a lot of use right now.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'll get one once the big games come out.

But right now? No point. Spiderman isn't going anywhere.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Now if we compare the PS5 results

67 percent 'have' or 'will buy'

To the "Why are you not buying a Series X" results

37 percent 'have' or 'will buy'

Then I think this more or less shows that Era is basically a microcosm of the gaming world at large.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Now if we compare the PS5 results

67 percent 'have' or 'will buy'

To the "Why are you not buying a Series X" results

37 percent 'have' or 'will buy'

Then I think this more or less shows that Era is basically a microcosm of the gaming world at large.

Also one of those two put out all of their games on PC.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
My digital purchases (PS1/2/3) not carrying forward from PS3 pretty much cemented my decision to change my main platform to PC.

Enough of the Japanese franchises I care about (Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Katamari, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Persona, etc.) are all on PC now, so it's not such a sting. I don't mind waiting for timed exclusives, I would always feel burnt when I bought something on consoles and it later comes out on PC with higher resolution, framerates, etc.

Many of the more recent Sony exclusives are more western-style games like LOU2, God of War, Days Gone, etc., and those just don't appeal to me as much as console games. I do have a Switch because it has the kind of quirky Japanese stuff and turn-based JRPGs that I want on consoles.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll get one in a year or two once they are more readily available, and there are a bunch of PS5 exclusives out that I can't wait anymore to play, plus price drops for the current batch of PS5 games. If somehow that also means I can get black version, that's even better, but not really the deterrent at this point.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Not really interested enough in their first party stuff. I'll def get one eventually when there is something i need to buy day one but I would rather wait for the PC versions. FF16 though might make me get it sooner, though I might just wait for the "slim" version

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Apex runs fine on ps4 and demons souls still feels great on ps3. Also like using any hard drive I want to expand the storage.
We'll see in a few years time when it's
a) cheaper
b) better designed and hopefully smaller
c) working properly

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Also one of those two put out all of their games on PC.

Yes, which is factored into the decision making when answering the question asked in the thread title. Also represented in the poll options.

- Most Japanese games that matter are either also on Switch or Xbox at this point

What are the Japanese games that don't matter? Do they know they don't matter? If not you should tell them so they stop production.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I have next to no interest in what Sony is offering nowadays. I still feel a bit burnt on buying a PS4 as their offerings were pretty weak there, so no chance I'm buying a PS5.

They just don't produce interesting games any more.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably get one down the line to play the upcoming Final Fantasy releases if the timed exclusivity is too long for me to wait out.
But other than that I personally don't have any interest in the Sony first party offerings, with the exception of Astro Bot.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I'm honestly just not interested in a PS5 (or Series X for that matter)

I dunno, maybe it's just getting older but I'm totally content with my Switch and midrange laptop. I already have too many games and not enough time to play them. I'm trying to avoid doing what I did last gen which is buy every console and just continuously grow the backlog.

I have accepted that I'm not going to play every amazing game that comes out, and I will probably miss some gems on the PS5, but I think I'm fine with that.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for a mid-cycle update. The current one is just huge. I would maybe reconsider if a must-have game comes out exclusively for it, but I don't know what that would be at this point. Happy with my PC at the moment.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I will buy one down the road when GoW2 comes out. My PS4 became an exclusive machine once X1X came out. So there is no strong desire to pick one up right now.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
It seems likely that Sony games will come to PC after a year of delay or so. And it's rare that I play games earlier than that anyway. I would buy a PS5 if this wasn't the case though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Not getting 1 currently as it's just annoying, but will get one soon-ish, new God of War will be when I really go out my way to get 1. I'm just working through the backlog until then.