• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I am not ok with it. I barely buy games for the switch. The price is absolutely why.

A shame because there are many games I want to play but I just can't justify the price.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So don't buy the games! You come off close minded, trying to make people feel bad for what they want out of entertainment. Some people that are so proud of not paying $60 for a game...were day one buyers of the WiiU, and the NES/SNES Classics...it's selective criticism.

Some of you even PRE-ORDER games like Anthem or Avengers!

If you aren't buying the games, then what's the problem?? It doesn't make you better than anyone, and the snobby and repetitive way these type of threads come up every day, only serves to close people's minds to much better arguments whenever they see a similar thread title.

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019
In my country (Brazil), people that have a Nintendo Switch (and buy their games) are considered rich. That's because:

1 - The console cost 515 US dollars. (But hey that's not big news, every console here is expensive as hell, 847 US dollars for XSX and 884 for a PS5)
2 - Nintendo games costs 55 US dollars (maybe, that's lower than in your country, however the minimum wage here is fucking 202 US dollars)

As Nintendo 1st party games does not devalues, that's a big problem here.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I dont think many people are okay with it , just not much of a choice . You want Mario Odyssey, BotW, Splatton, Metr-NOT YOU!-, you have to pay it . Or dont. Nintendo knows someone will buy it eventually . Patience is a great thing to have in this industry

plow

Oct 28, 2017
It's basically why i haven't touched my Switch in a year. It's collecting dust. BOTW is still 60€ here....it's nearly 4 years old.

Iggelich

Aug 31, 2019
Essentially you're upset that other people value things different than you. It's fine to be upset about the prices, but if you tell other people that they need to value things the same as you, get ready to face backlash.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Why do we stop at video games? Shouldn't 30-40 year old movies, music, books etc be offered for free at this point?
Bad take since those are usually way cheaper now than when they were released. Specially books. You can find lots of books for free because they lost their copyright. Look for sherlock holmes collections in amazon kindle. The books are there for free.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You have every right to be against this shit but Nintendo's are the deaf ears. As long as they sell games, and even they don't sell them, their pricing policy will not change.

Someone has to sue them for this. But even then I don't expect any changes.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
So, why do we still accept these practices? Why there are people that think this is ok and supports this?
There's no reason to why WE should accept this.

Why do you care what I do with my money? There are some games I dont care paying that Nintendo tax, there are other I dont agree and I dont buy them. But at the end of the day is up to anyone decide if it is worth the money or not.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Because they don't stop selling.

The rare nintendo missteps do get price cuts. But even there nintendo would rather have a smaller price cut to give the impression that their games have a certain "value". Iwata made it clear in the past that they don't want to do anything that'd devalue them.

I just buy the games I really want, safe in the knowledge that I could sell the game on for fairly close to the price I paid for it if I ever needed to.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
If you don't like Nintendo's practices, particularly with regard to pricing, your best bet is probably to abstain from purchasing their games until you are able to find them at a price that is acceptable to you. This is what I do and it works well. Things I want enough to pay full price for, I do- otherwise I wait for sales (which sometimes takes a while due to the market not getting flooded with each release, and dropping the price of games by $20 within weeks, but Black Friday sales and the like are always reliable).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What's with this reply? Are you trying to silence me.
No I'm asking you for what do you want ERA to do about. Your thread post sounds like a call to action...so what is the resolution to that issue ? You seem to have a issue that the games are selling despite the prices...so what are we to do about it ?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Who is we? Era isn't the arbiter of what value games should or shouldn't hold relative to the time of their original release. The market decides that, and the market has decided it's okay with spending $60 on ports of old Nintendo games. You may not personally like it, and that's fair enough, but some of you need to stop trying to make this into a bigger, more insidious thing than it actually is.

If you don't agree with their pricing policies then don't buy their products.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
So, why do we still accept these practices? Why there are people that think this is ok and supports this?
There's no reason to why WE should accept this.
I'd love it if Nintendo reintroduced something like the select lineup as well priced their ports lower but that's not gonna stop me from buying some of those games if I find them enticing because it'll be the first time I'm gonna play some of those.

Oct 25, 2017
They're just running a very profitable business.

Don't buy their games if you think they're ripping you off.

Nothing's going to change as it works for them.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The Mario collection was priced ok. $60 for three Mario classics made sense to me. $60 for a Zelda game I've always heard was bad is a no go.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Clearly a lot of people aren't okay with it, but what are they going to do about it?

These games are going to keep selling in the millions so why would Nintendo care what a minority of people think?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You might be ok with games losing their value quickly but I can't imagine anyone would prefer an industry where everything is so worthless that it cannot keep its value.
Are you gonna come after collectors paying ridiculous prices for old games next?
And as Other M showed 10 years ago, Nintendo games that are shit can lose their value very fast as well.
You're complaining that Nintendo releases too many good products really.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I don't mind Nintendo's pricing at all. I have zero reservations about buying a Nintendo game day 1 because I know it won't be half off in 2 weeks. Nothing more annoying then buying a game then it hits a big sale in the first month cause alot of publishers are on a race to the bottom proce structure.

At this point I avoid most new titles until a price drop due to this, sucks missing out on the hype launches but not going to waste my money like that.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Nintendo has a rabid fanbase willing to buy overpriced and cheap ports, that's why they can get away with this.

I fully support every publisher charging more for their ports on Nintendo Switch.
A huge amount of the sales come from the casual players that don't care or know any better and not the rabid fan base. Unless you want to tell us that the rabid fan base multiplied by 3 because MK8D has sold 3 times as much as the Wii U version.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why not? they're just video games. the limited availability thing sucks but games being $50-60 instead of $30-40 eh

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Vote with your wallet.. I own Skyward Sword for the Wii so Dophin Emulator is a much better choice compared to the overpriced HD port.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We had a very similar thread to this just two days ago and will be locking this for the same reason.

www.resetera.com

Why does Nintendo always get a pass for their policies?

Some of Nintendo's policies I think off the top of my head are: - Ports of Wii U games costing full price (with slight QoL improvements and resolution bumps). Sony, Microsoft and other third parties remaster and port their games to newer systems, often at a cheaper price. - The same digital...

This thread is likely only to lead to platform warring and not facilitate any worthwhile or meaningful discussion. As such this thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.