• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You actually do though!

My wife is a big girl, and thanks to the general attitudes of people like you, has to have her blood drawn at almost every doctor's appointment and get examined "just to check some things."

Blood sugar? Normal.
Cholesterol? Normal.
Blood pressure? Normal.
Any signs of diabetes or other chronic illness? Nope.

Every time she gets a new doctor, it's the same thing. But the world is full of morons like yourself that mistake thin for healthy and fat for sick. I bet when you meet someone that loses weight, you tell them "you look good!" not "you look healthy!"

FOH
Wait I'm confused, you blame non medical people for making doctors do blood tests on risky patients?

Last edited:

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Body positivity is a great thing, and as a musician I can say that yes, her weight will (and probably already is) negatively affecting her voice. Ultimately, it's all up to Lizzo what she does. No sense in calling someone out on something they are definitely already aware of.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
Does Lizzo even talk about her weight, beyond calling herself "thick" (which fucking everyone does these days)? She's just out there singing fun pop music, leave her alone and let her do her thing.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
"Why do i have to care? Why is it my job to care about her weight?"
- - a person very concerned about her weight

Mar 10, 2018
Body positivity is always a good thing. No one should feel ashamed of their body.

However, if one has the means - as Lizzo clearly does now - one should strive to get in shape. But it's her body, so it's really no one else's business.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who Lizzo is beyond the google image search I just did, but we've had prominent big women in music for decades if not longer, and I thought we had all agreed they are awesome. Aretha, Etta James, Big Mama Thornton, fucking Adele... big women in music are fucking great, and making such a big deal about their bodies being big is the opposite of appreciating them as people.
The world needs big women in music. They have changed the course of music for decades...if not millennia

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You actually do though!

My wife is a big girl, and thanks to the general attitudes of people like you, has to have her blood drawn at almost every doctor's appointment and get examined "just to check some things."

Blood sugar? Normal.
Cholesterol? Normal.
Blood pressure? Normal.

Every time she gets a new doctor, it's the same thing. But the world is full of morons like yourself that mistake thin for healthy and fat for sick. I bet when you meet someone that loses weight, you tell them "you look good!" not "you look healthy!"

FOH
I would encourage you to encourage your wife not to let that bother her or to blame the doctors; medicine is all about risk. Not every at risk patient gets the same diseases, but they are statistically at a higher risk.

So you test, because early detection can be HUGE.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Jillian asks why is it "her job" to care about Lizzo's body. It's not, so she shouldn't have made the additional comment. She should have just moved the conversation on, but now Jillian will have to apologize to save her brand.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, no one would should be telling their sons and daughters that Lizzo is the ideal body weight

So then Jillian was right to say that Lizzo's body is not what she should be celebrated for?

but for fucks sake let her live and for damn sure don't wish debilitating illness on her when she hasn't done anyone wrong.

1) Jillian didn't bring up the topic of Lizzo and her body.
2) Who wished an illness on her? Lol

Where's the daily talk show hosts telling the president to eat a salad and run some laps?

Where is the talk show host saying Trump's body should be celebrated? Where are the masses yelling "toxic" everytime someone says he is fat or looks like he could have a heart attack at any minute?

Oct 27, 2017
Body positivity is always a good thing. No one should feel ashamed of their body.

However, if one has the means - as Lizzo clearly does now - one should strive to get in shape. But it's her body, so it's really no one else's business.

Why? What additional worth does being in shape accord you?

How fat or thin a person is shouldn't even come up in conversation, it's typically not relevant.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Not up to me to comment or single out any individual's body. But as someone who cares and has lost multiple family members to diabetes/dialysis and shit, we as black people have to address our heart disease problems and all the other things that come with our diets. Its one of the reasons why I don't really complain about veganism and all the trendy diets so many people partake in.

no

Black Americans are not the people responsible for the ubiquity of unhealthy, processed foods in the nation, nor are black Americans responsible for the systemic veneers of poverty which have left most black folks without the capability to purchase and eat healthier. Nor should black folks be singled out in the limitation of their cultural comfort foods (soul food, southern, etc) when America itself can be singularly identified by its attachment to comfort foods through the lens of hundreds of cultures.

Promoting general health within the black community (and all communities) is certainly ideal, but there are systemic and cultural drivers at play that make Black Americans' unilateral "solution" to this - and many other issues - an unreasonable expectation.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
She promotes being happy, confident and active as someone overweight. Some of the audience feel inspired and start to feel better about embracing it as who they are.

It's not like they don't know it's an issue so some could be running low at best with the stigma it has. Getting some "btw your life could end much sooner" talk doesn't help with that. If you can't feel good about yourself right now how are you supposed to care about your future self? Then you see someone like you saying "actually nah, fuck it" and enjoying being who they are and having a good time and putting a smile on their face. Which makes you feel better about yourself. Which gives you some confidence about yourself. You know, the thing that will help you go out more. Risk being seen more. Put yourself in a position where you want to do this for yourself because you love who you are more.

Saying this as someone who if they breathe in a little can easily pass as someone that typically goes to the gym despite rarely setting foot in one. You wouldn't tell a friend who was down about their weight that they should hit the gym because they'll die soon, you'd comfort them and tell them they're alright and it'll be ok. You motivate people by making them feel better, not reminding them of the bad parts about them that they'll always be more aware of than you could be.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018
This started off so well.
You can treat your body however you want - again, it's no one else's business but your own. But speaking from a common sense standpoint, you should really make effort to get in and stay in shape. Lizzo isn't doing her heart any favors, especially when she hits her 50's +. I've had to personally witness what obesity does to family members, and it's very destructive, physically, financially, etc. And the U.S. healthcare system doesn't do any favors in that regard. This has nothing to do with physical appearance, if that's your assumption. No one is saying Lizzo or anyone else needs to look like a supermodel. I just think that you should really take care of your body, especially if you have the financial means to do so. And if you don't happen to be in ideal physical shape, then you should still feel good about yourself nonetheless.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
no

Black Americans are not the people responsible for the ubiquity of unhealthy, processed foods in the nation, nor are black Americans responsible for the systemic veneers of poverty which have left most black folks without the capability to purchase and eat healthier. Nor should black folks be singled out in the limitation of their cultural comfort foods (soul food, southern, etc) when America itself can be singularly identified by its attachment to comfort foods through the lens of hundred of cultures.

Promoting general health within the black community (and all communities) is certainly ideal, but there are systemic and cultural drivers at play that make Black Americans' unilateral "solution" to this - and many other issues - an unreasonable expectation.

Not once did I blame us for societal issues so miss me with that. We can control what we control but pretending we're all helpless doesn't help anybody. My folks were pretty damn broke but everybody from my grandma on down religiously made sure all of our meals had a few vegetables in them. To this day I will get lectured if I'm caught eating a meal of nothing but like starches and meat or whatever. It can be done.

Edit: I'll add that being fat isn't really the problem. I'm sure my grandma is "obese" but today's standards. But she's pushing well into her 80's with a pretty sound mind because of her diet, I'd like to believe.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
From my (Linda) decades of challenging the pervasive "fat is bad" rhetoric, I know that every time I assert that the problem for fat people isn't their bodies, but abuse from society, bigotry fights back. It's not just the outright haters who populate the comments section, but worse, the self-righteous who see their stance as caring. It's all about health, their argument goes, not bias.
No, it's not. Intent does not negate impact. You cannot wage war on obesity without waging war on the people who live in those "obese" bodies. Moreover, the dignity of a group should not be contingent on whether its members are deemed healthy, eating "right," or exercising regularly. It should be obvious, but weight stigma does not reduce "obesity"—and health care should be about self-care and promoting the health of the person in all its forms.
Focusing on weight—or health behaviors—puts the burden on the individual, deflecting attention from the more pernicious problem: systemic injustice. Conditions in the places where people live, work, and play affect health outcomes to a much larger degree than health behaviors, which, all told (including eating, activity and other behaviors), account for less than 25 percent of differences in health outcomes. While health behavior change is valuable, to truly improve public health, we can work harder to create an inclusive society where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to create a good life for themselves. Combating fat-phobia needs to be part of that agenda.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
You actually do though!

Blood sugar? Normal.
Cholesterol? Normal.
Blood pressure? Normal.

FOH

I'm very glad your wife is healthy. She has very good genes and her body is resilient. Not everyone is in the same boat and I doubt the majority of people are in as healthy. The doctors are "checking some things" for a reason. All their teachings and training have taught them about factors that lead to health issues. They are simply following that training.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Are people watching the clip? It's the host who first brings up that people are "celebrating Lizzo's body". Jillian's response was to that ridiculous statement and she wasn't wrong in questioning it. The idea of "celebrating Lizzo's body" is idiotic.

But then she also went on to talk about Lizzo's weight, which puts her at fault as well. She should've left it at "it's none of our business".

Mar 10, 2018
She promotes being happy, confident and active as someone overweight. Some of the audience feel inspired and start to feel better about embracing it as who they are.

It's not like they don't know it's an issue so some could be running low at best with the stigma it has. Getting some "btw your life could end much sooner" talk doesn't help with that. If you can't feel good about yourself right now how are you supposed to care about your future self? Then you see someone like you saying "actually nah, fuck it" and enjoying being who they are and having a good time and putting a smile on their face. Which makes you feel better about yourself. Which gives you some confidence about yourself. You know, the thing that will help you go out more. Risk being seen more. Put yourself in a position where you want to do this for yourself because you love who you are more.

Saying this as someone who if they breathe in a little can easily pass as someone that typically goes to the gym despite rarely setting foot in one. You wouldn't tell a friend who was down about their weight that they should hit the gym because they'll die soon, you'd comfort them and tell them they're alright and it'll be ok. You motivate people by making them feel better, not reminding them of the bad parts about them that they'll always be more aware of than you could be.
Exactly this.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
We're celebrating that she has self love and self worth, and her being big won't stop that. It's not like we're all "you're fat, that's so awesome."

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine calling doctors morons for doing a health check on a new patient. How fucking dense do you have to be.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
1) 99% of the people making these comments don't actually care about the person's health more than likely, so... There's that.
2) Are we celebrating Lizzos body? Sounds like a strawman. Last I checked she quitting Twitter because of how toxic it is.
3) Some douche being a douche isn't going to get people to say that health is completely unrelated to body weight, because that's not true. But it doesn't mean that person supports the asshole insulting people in public.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand (and as someone who has struggled with my own weight) I think everyone should aspire to be the healthiest version of themselves.

On the other hand, it's no one else's business how one treats/cares for their body and health.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
You're either okay with body shaming or you aren't. I agree with the main idea of your post regarding "concerned" people, but I find it silly to get mad at someone and then do the exact same thing.

Except that thin people aren't systemically, socially, politically, medically and economically oppressed by the fatphobic society we live in.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
I like Lizzo's attitude she's clearly comfortable in her own skin.
But if someone were to say someone of her weight is "unhealthy", are they wrong in saying that? I don't perceive that to be fat shaming if people point out the unhealthy diet that can lead to obesity.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
1) 99% of the people making these comments don't actually care about the person's health more than likely, so... There's that.
2) Are we celebrating Lizzos body? Sounds like a strawman. Last I checked she quitting Twitter because of how toxic it is.
3) Some douche being a douche isn't going to get people to say that health is completely unrelated to body weight, because that's not true. But it doesn't mean that person supports the asshole insulting people in public.
Wasn't that after she harassed a DoorDash employee and got backlash for that? And then she got off Twitter? I guess that would count as her quitting due to toxicity...but it would be weird if the thread became about that instead.

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
User Banned (permanent): misogyny, account in junior phase
I can't stand Lizzo. I think she is being used as a passive aggressive dig at black women, a caricature that the dominant class pretends to find appealing, knowing full well how embarrassing many of us in the black community find her. And our embarrassment doesn't stem from her weight, our community embracing many beautiful and strong black women whose weight wasn't considered ideal: Aretha Franklin, Esther Rolle, Queen Latifah, Etta James..
So when people pull that bullshit argument to the effect of, "you don't like her because of her weight," give them a history lesson. We don't like her because she's a minstrel act and gladly parades her buffoonish ass before the public eye for whatever dollars white daddy throws her way. The idea of young black girls looking up to her makes me want to vomit.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
There is a nuanced discussion to be had about having positive self image and confidence versus a societal acceptance of unhealthy individuals, but most of the time it's just body shaming. Honestly, unless somebody is clearly unhealthy and their body is being glorified it's probably best to just be glad for the person that they feel good about themselves - that's what is important. If people were saying "man Lizzo is very overweight and that's what people should aspire to look like!" (Or the same with grotesquely skinny people), THAT's when we can say hold up.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sad thing is I used to have that mindset in similar discussions here. I've had close family members die to obesity related things but was taking my frustrations from that and attacking 'fat' in general. It's obvious when you step away from that and as linked above everything naturally supports it as a consequence. Just wasn't seeing the double standard until I compared it to how I'd comfort a friend with that issue.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
User Banned (permanent): misogyny, account in junior phase
I can't stand Lizzo. I think she is being used as a passive aggressive dog at black women, a caricature that the dominant class pretends to find appealing, knowing full well how embarrassing many of us in the black community find her. And our embarrassment doesn't stem from her weight, as our community has embraced many black women whose weight wasn't considered ideal: Aretha Franklin, Esther Rolle, Queen Latifah, Etta James..
So when people pull that bullshit argument to the effect of, "you don't like her because of her weight," give them a history lesson. We don't like her because she's a minstrel act and gladly parades her buffoonish ass before the public eye for whatever dollars white daddy throws her way.
Straight up fact I was going to say the same thing

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Gonna post this for saying Lizzo seems unhealthy
ENx8OSZWwAIPZu7

While I agree with the general statement of the message, I do call bullshit on their claim that they're not able to dance for a three or four minute song, despite allegedly being able to run three miles several times a week. :p

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Not a fan of the current trend of normalizing obesity. Shaming isn't the solution, but I don't think blanket accepting is either. Lets be clear, I don't care about your body or how you treat it. If you're happy and living life to the fullest then more power to you. I can still have an opinion though. And I'm sorry, but being an average person and weighing over 250 lbs isn't some body type hand you've been dealt (remember, I'm talking about your average person, not the exceptions) that just happens to only affect Americans and not the rest of the world. The whole "that's just my body type" narrative is bs. Just be honest with yourself that this is the lifestyle you want to live.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
you would think that if she really cared about overweight / obesity issues in america she would target factors that actually contribute towards it and not a pop singer

Just off the top of my head some examples of this that you can't actually change by being mad at performers

- food insecurity
- workplace stress (funny how stress is an indicator for weight gain, which I guess body shaming is supposed to offset in some people's minds?)
- lack of access to regular health care due to cost

GalacticToast

Oct 25, 2017
Except that thin people aren't systemically, socially, politically, medically and economically oppressed by society.
Right. So....what? I never argued anything to the contrary. It's fine to try body shame people if they're thin? I think Jillian Michaels was incredibly stupid in her comments. She definitely needs to mind her own business. That doesn't mean that I'm going to body shame her for body shaming someone else.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
A third of the entire population is obese by BMI standards. A third. Those people should be get famous like anyone else without a bunch of people catching feelings about it and becoming armchair doctors.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not a fan of the current trend of normalizing obesity. Shaming isn't the solution, but I don't think blanket accepting is either. Lets be clear, I don't care about your body or how you treat it. If you're happy and living life to the fullest then more power to you. I can still have an opinion though. And I'm sorry, but being an average person and weighing over 250 lbs isn't some body type hand you've been dealt (remember, I'm talking about your average person, not the exceptions) that just happens to only affect Americans and not the rest of the world. The whole "that's just my body type" narrative is bs. Just be honest with yourself that this is the lifestyle you want to live.
Appreciate that 'normalising obesity' isn't fat people existing and being visible, it's systemic injustices.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Lizzo's attitude she's clearly comfortable in her own skin.
But if someone were to say someone of her weight is "unhealthy", are they wrong in saying that? I don't perceive that to be fat shaming if people point out the unhealthy diet that can lead to obesity.
Being overweight or obese puts people at risk for certain health conditions in the aggregate but Lizzo is an individual woman and her health is her business and her doctor's.

Status
Not open for further replies.