• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always say to myself that i will bother to make a list but i never do.I just don't care enough i guess.

But maybe i will because i really want to vote for TLOU Part II.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Most of us have mentioned our GOTY at one point or another. Formal voting is not something every body cares about.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a combination of:

- People tend to procrastinate
- The formatting requirement is a nightmare

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Because of the bullshit requirement of an explanation, don't feel like doing that for all of my picks.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This thread is kinda toxic. I'm fine with people not caring about GOTY polls, but the smugness is quite something to behold at times, and the idea that taking 3 minutes to type a brief comment explaining your choices is "too much effort" is... well, I suppose it explains why Era is the way it is, heh.

The games I'd want to push (Ori and Tell Me Why) don't have a chance anyway
It might not win #1 but it's still worth voting to push it higher in the list

- The formatting requirement is a nightmare
...Literally how? You type in a title and the software picks it up for you.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like most of the games I played last year unfortunately. The list of games I liked that actually released in 2020 is pretty low.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the point.
Not only is the audience here skewed more toward consoles, so results will be fairly inclined that way, it also only works for folks who played a lot / all "important" 2020 games, which isn't likely to be true for a lot of people. Most folks will just vote on the games they played, which is just not particularly interesting since it ends up on in a small subset of games, typically larger scale. In a user vote where everyone is playing different things, just doesn't mean much as an "Era" goty, when many people won't have played some games picked.

As for the past few years, I've spent the year playing over games that span 2 decades. Of the 2020 released, I've played probably only 7 or 8 games.
I rather see individual people's opinions than a pool of everyone here

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I voted but I dislike having to write descriptions. It's not like there's a lot of discussion going on in the thread and I doubt anyone gives a shit what I wrote. I know I scroll past all the thousand-word screeds and just look at what people are voting for

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I just looked at the voting thread after seeing this one and yeah, the rules look overwhelming to me. It might very well be a lot simpler in action, but I can't help but feel overwhelmed.

Also, not to nag, but seeing a big fat warning in orange in the op does not seem welcoming and is a huge turn-off for me, but that's just a personal quirk.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Still writing mine. I'd planned to get it done early this year... but life had another ideas. The delay was good because I got to play two 2020 games I wouldn't have finished in time otherwise.

(I always like the GotY threads because I often end up checking out games I might have missed otherwise, especially indies.)

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Takes too much work and "what game that came out in this year is your favorite?" isn't that interesting and feels kind of outdated compared to how people game in 2021. With how large evergreen titles are, GAAS, longterm multiplayer, MMOs, retro gaming, etc people are playing tons of titles that are spread over many years. I gamed for thousands of hours in 2020 and I'm not even sure what game I played actually released in 2020. Plus there's the whole money thing.

I'd find a yearly thread on people's favorite games that they just happened to play in the last year more interesting. Not interested in the "prestige" of GOTY style stuff.
This is where I'm at with it as well. GOTY means nothing to me but, I would be super interested in a thread where people just wrote about there favorite game(s) they played last year because, yeah, it would probably include alot of games from prior years as well as ongoing games that people have been playing on and off for a few years.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Because sticky threads are the worst thing in the world. Everyone has been trained to gloss right over them for years.

I hate sticky threads.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
lol at all the people saying the voting thread is too difficult.

You literally type in your game, click it from the list and the forum does the rest for you.

Super difficult....

You need to justify every game.

Sometimes I don't even want to explain why I like something because it's kinda personal.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care about that kind of stuff

Nov 2, 2019
1. The formatting nonsense.
2. It's almost March and we're STILL talking about GOTY 2020? Figure that shit out in January.
3. It's personally not pleasant to try and remember what games I played while home in the first half of 2020 living in fear from a pandemic.
4. I never look at stickied threads.
5. I personally don't put too much thought into GOTY awards. I do like a drama and meltdowns though.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I always check the results, but I really think it's too much work.

I mean, things far more important IRL are voted everyday and they're nowhere as convoluted as this, so...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've started to feel like I was buying games solely for Game of the Year (both on this site and beyond) and not because I actually wanted to play them there and then, and my experience was soured as a result (As an example, Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghosts of Tsushima are two games I got at launch I just did not vibe with at the time).

There are plenty of 2020 releases I want to play, but on my own time and terms.

In general I've also found I prefer more nuanced discussions than basic lists and popularity contests. Someone making a thread about how much they love a game, or sharing it in an OT, or posting about it on Twitter even if it's just two sentences, is more appealing than an arbitrarily numbered list.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
my tastes are so divergent from what is the agreed upon good on this forum that i just don't even bother lol

not a lot of great discussion comes from these lists anyways.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I straight up just don't have the time or, accordingly, desire to undertake what I see as an unnecessarily demanding and lengthy voting process. I don't begrudge the mods for keeping the current requirements in place if they don't mind the depression in voter turnout that appears to occur as a result, and there are arguments to be made for making it high-effort enough to vote that the voter pool is limited to those who are so truly passionate about their votes that they're willing to put in the time and work to make them count, but yeah, I personally just don't have time for all that. Not for me, that's all.

Deleted member 59261

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 16, 2019
It's really not hard to vote. Just enter the game you want and click. Maybe the huge opening post scares people off? It's not like you have to make an extremely involved GOTY list. In my list I had five games with practically only a sentence after each.

It's a bummer that there are so few people voting. ResetEra as a crowd usually have a good taste in games. Indie games like Cuphead, What Remains of Edith Finch and Celeste I probably never would've tried if it wasn't for their high placing in their respective GOTY-lists. I usually buy games when they have been recommended by this place and are on sale.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
The formatting was too much of a chore to take the time to post my favorites. All the red warning text and complex formatting...I just kinda was all like....nope. Good luck. They should of just put out a template with the games listed and you delete or add in text.

Oct 25, 2017
In general I've also found I prefer more nuanced discussions than basic lists and popularity contests. Someone making a thread about how much they love a game, or sharing it in an OT, or posting about it on Twitter even if it's just two sentences, is more appealing than an arbitrarily numbered list.

I think both voting lists and something more personal can be great. I think the mistake the GotY thread makes is it is trying to be too perfect by covering too many preferences/feedback. In the end I think it suffers from "perfect is the enemy of good" with all the well intentioned rules. IMO GotY voting on a message board should really try and cast as wide of a net as possible by being simple and straightforward. OTs and personal threads better serve this community for detailed discussions.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
The formatting requirement is... bad.

If it was just "write your ranked list" or something, maybe I'd do it.

But also I just don't feel super passionate about many games from 2020. I loved Spider-Man: Miles Morales, it'd be #1 with a bullet.

Beyond that it's very shaky hand, "I pretty much enjoyed my time with this I guess"

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Way too complicated to vote. I'm not reading a ten step guide and trying to do all that formatting on my phone. Is there a reason it's not just a poll?

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've done it for years but I'm too lazy to do the whole formated thing to make sure the vote counts and a whole description. I also don't want to be yelled at about loving TLOU2 the most.

trailmix16

Oct 26, 2017
Are people posting their goty's in another thread? I see this as like two questions: are people posting in the official thread so their favorite game can win, and are people posting their goty's to bring awareness or just reflect on them?

i usually like reading the goty thread to find out niche and missed out games

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I thought 2020 was a pretty lousy year for gaming. I spent most of the year going back to old titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.