• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Fewer people care about voting for GotY this far out from GotY season, the thread is stickied, and the huge OP makes it seem too daunting for some people.

I'd wager these are the three primary reasons.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Really don't feel like typing an essay explaining why I chose each game. It's a personal top 10 so why should I have to justify and convince others of my choices? Just let people drop their lists and move on.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Don't know about anyone else, but the past few months quarantine fatigue has really set in. I'm barely managing sufficient enthusiasm/energy for work and home life stuff. The idea of putting that much mental effort into doing a write up for each game, which no one will read, is just too much for me right now.

Maybe if it was more of a discussion I'd get caught up and motivated, but as someone pointed out earlier it's just a giant list dump.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Pinned/ stickied threads on forums always do the opposite of their intended purpose for me, they're pretty much invisible.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think I played enough 2020 games to have a solid opinion on the matter. I would be voting popular games or based on my preference and not based on the quality of the game.

So casting my vote, would only contribute to make the GOTY list more meaningless / popularity contest. Which is one of the problems these type of lists have.

This is me. The only 2020 releases I've played to completion were Ori and...that's it. Everything else was an older release purchased at discount, a backlog title, a GamePass title, or I didn't bother to finish (Doom Eternal I quit on the last level, Wasteland 3 I'm waiting for patches to clean it up).

Edit: Looking at the formatting requirements needed to make the games searchable on ERA, it's more effort than I'd honestly put into thinking about ranking games in any given period of time outside of my early 20s.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I've put off doing it because the new voting system is rubbish and it's a pain to have to add reasons. I don't understand why reasons are required when basically no-one will read what I put anyway.

It also seems way too late this year, 2020 has been and gone.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
As the OP of the Soundtrack thread, I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place when it comes to thread stickies. It's either "the thread is stickied, so no one sees it" or "the thread is not stickied, so it immediately falls off the front page and no one sees it."

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
1. Forgot it existed/hadn't already been done
2. Never notice it nowadays
3. Too much effort
4. Didn't care enough at the time
5. Overall GOTY is obvious
6. Don't care one bit right now

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I missed it because it was stickied, but also I'm just not that passionate about 2020 games.

I completed 6 games in 2020. One was a fun, little indie game that hardly anyone's played (Lithium City) and wasn't even nominated (I know that I could vote it in anyway). Three were enhanced or remade versions of older games (FF7R, TMS#FE Switch, and P5R). One was a 2019 game (Luigi's Mansion 3) and one was a PS3 game (Siren: Blood Curse). I played some other games that came out last year that I didn't finish like Hades as well as some older games, but yeah, I just don't feel like it's worth the effort of making sure I vote correctly according to the thread rules or write a description for each game, when I wasn't that excited about 2020 games & I don't even know if I could come up with 10 new games I played.

And well, I know how this works. The final Top list is just going to end up looking like every other GotY list that your average gaming website put out.

If the system was more automated and just had you pick several games from a list (or write-in your own), make sure the order is correct, and hit submit, I'd be more likely to participate next year.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I had no idea the rules and formatting had been changed so popped in the GOTY thread to see what all the fuss was about. HOLY SHIT.

I've had medical procedures more fun than trying to sift through that OP. The constant threatening language and red text is the cherry on the cake.

I don't blame anyone running a mile from that thread.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
2020 was an incredibly mediocre year for games, and an incredibly terrible year for most everything else, so I can see why there isn't much enthusiasm.

Of my top 10 only half actually came out last year, and while Crusader Kings 3 and Microsoft Flight Simulator are truly great... there's just not that big emotional swing behind them.

In past years you were only required to write a comment for one game, but this year the rules were changed so that you have to write a comment for *every* game... which is more effort than it's worth for me.

Oh, yeah, this too. Very odd change to make.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
It's not hard at all. It took me 2 minutes. I hope TLOU2 wins it sure as hell deserves it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
- No interest in trying to "sell" a game in essay format to an audience who only cares about mainstream AAA(A) and AA indies anyway.

- Popularity contests bring out the absolute worst in people, as evidenced by (media sourced) GOTY-season Era.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Too much effort. And I keep forgetting about it because it's stickied and I never pay attention to stickied threads.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't even play any 2020 games. Last new game I bought was..... Resident Evil 2 Remake? Usually, there's at least one or two games per year I'm interested in and FF VII Remake was supposed to be that game, but it got Nomurad to oblivion, so no votes from me this year.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost March, who really cares about GOTY anymore
Also, i got a headache looking at the new formatting system in the OP of the sticky thread, I wouldn't bother even if it was December

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
A) It's almost March. Who gives a shit about GOTY this far into the following year.
B) the rules to vote are completely fucking stupid.
C) I don't give really a shit about GOTY in general. I don't rank my "*insert thing* of the year" lists. Can't do an unranked list here.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I really enjoyed some games from 2020 but it just seems like a hassle and ultimately not worth it when we already know who the winner is going to be.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Because game awards are useless. I am honestly surprised by how dedicated certain people in this forum are about tracking goty awards.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Number of votes are almost the same as last year a week before deadline I think. At least half vote in like the last 4 days. I do expect lower turnout this year though because forums are dying.

Edit: ~900 votes week before deadline with nearly 500 votes coming in the last week. This year there were ~500 votes week before so I suppose there is a sharp decline but voting was delayed by almost 2 months on top of forums dying so yeah lol.

Last edited:

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like I've played enough of the big releases in any given year to feel like I have a good opinion of what should be GOTY, and I know TLOU2 will win anyway (which I also haven't played).

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I didn't know there was a thread until now.

I'll go in there, and make Hades my GotY pick. Only played it along with AC: NH.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
1. 2020 was a mediocre year for games (and a horrendous year for everything else)
2. Era started their GOTY voting extremely late and added pointless rules
3. TLOU2 will win anyway, so it makes no difference

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe I'm lazy, but the actual process of voting seems way too involved. Like the OP has a seven-step guide just for casting your vote, and you also have to justify each pick. And there's all these rules so that my votes could be disqualified for any number of reasons. Its just too much work for me to want to care about voting.

I feel like just having a strawpoll or something would result in a lot more people bothering to vote.

Also its way too late in the year to be talking about GOTY.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Because an anything of the year award from resetera is about as prestigous as a golden cleric award for best priest.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It takes too much effort to follow all the rules laid out to get your vote counted. It's making what should be a 20 second endeavor take like 10 minutes.

Jan 10, 2018
As for me:

1. I don't care about the ranking of games. I honestly find it quite impossible say that one great experience is better than another great experience.
2. The OT is like a wall of text with rules, pictures and what not. Those kind of threads turn me off in general.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
People treat the GOTY voting too much like a contest when its about putting your personal GOTY list into words that you can look back on later. Its a neat way to keep track of how you felt about those games in (almost) the year you played them. Its also nice to read what other people have written and might get you interested in other games.

I can see the keeping track of votes getting dropped next year in favor of just a general thread to write about your favorite games of the year but someone would compile a number eventually anyways so idk lol.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Combination of it started really late, most people mentally filtering out sticky threads and not having played enough/specific games

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I know for me, I just don't really care about GOTY stuff. First, I'm very slow at getting around to games--I prefer waiting and buying games when they're cheap--so I don't even have ten games I put on the list. Secondly, and there's no gentle way to phrase this, GOTY feels so predictable and routine it's hard to expend time voting for something whose conclusion is both foregone and personally uninteresting. Like, I know TLOU2 will win, why participate in the song and dance? To maybe see a game I played rank top ten, maybe? Like, that ain't worth the time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Well, i've barely played anything released in 2020. I have a huge backlog to catch up to, while at the same time i'm waiting to get my hands on a PS5 before starting up on TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and Miles Morales, as i would rather not play them on my Pro.

Regardless, i probably wouldn't vote either way since creating a post and explaining all the choices would take too much time and feels like a chore.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol at all the people saying the voting thread is too difficult.

You literally type in your game, click it from the list and the forum does the rest for you.

Super difficult....

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
It looked like a lot of effort for something that I don't really care about. I love playing games but I don't really feel the need to explain why I enjoyed one game more than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.