• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
I have lost all interest in ranking and scoring video games, it doesn't matter at all. And even if I did, an overly-convoluted system with a foregone conclusion makes it not worth the effort.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not great at ranking stuff for these types of list so while I'll probably put my entry in at some point I'm going to want to have time to actually think through my list and decide on my submission

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I don't look at stickied threads, and I just went and clicked and holy shit that first post is just way too much information for what should be something insanely easy, or just a poll.

Also I don't care about what most people consider GOTY, I have my own and that's enough and I don't really care if the world knows.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm supposed to write something about every vote. Something barely anybody will care about. I'd vote if it was just a list to submit. Maybe that's lazy but I'm not interested in putting more effort into it.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking personally, it's a lot of effort to vote. Having it in a survey format or similar would make it easier.
If you could just give a list I probably would. Not sure why I need to describe why I like a game rather than just give a list.
These plus the thread is super late.
Not sure why you need to write something about your choices when the thread is a glorified list dump. Nobody cares about your reasons and there's no discussion because everyone is too busy dumping their own list.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Why is writing descriptions mandatory? is it because the rule of no writing empty lists?

I feel like there will always be someone writing comments anyway.

If they want quality posts and don't mind fewer then 500 is more than alright.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The new vote system is great but no one should have to explain or write down anything. Just let them fill out their list and be done. There are plenty that will expand upon why regardless. That and unpin that shit.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
There was a pandemic. Not sure how many people had the chance to buy and play a ton of new games.

Hell, even though I wasn't hit too hard economically, I still spent most my gaming time this year playing Destiny 2. So it's not like I have much to contribute.
This has actually been the first time in a quite a while that I had been able to buy and play a ton of new games, with it not being uncommon for lots of people to buy and play more games as a result of not being able to go anywhere or do much else (which has also contributed to ongoing hardware shortages).
I have lost all interest in ranking and scoring video games, it doesn't matter at all. And even if I did, an overly-convoluted system with a foregone conclusion makes it not worth the effort.
Full disclosure, most of my rankings outside of my personal #1 do tend to be pretty arbitrary any given year. I tend to only give more thought to what to place where for the lower-ranked choices as a result of points assignments outlined in the rules, which usually tends not to matter all that much when the overall results do indeed tend to be foregone conclusions.

Last edited:

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Haven't they been getting less and less votes every year?

Also a big chunk of this site is Nintendo fans, so there needs to be more contenders from them to get people to vote.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I ignore stickied threads, and I'm never going to sit there and type out a justification for why I voted the way I did.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'd do it if I could just make a simple list, but they want to you write blurbs and things and I don't care enough to put that kind of effort into it. Just seems silly.

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
This has actually been the first time in a quite a while that I had been able to buy and play a ton of new games, with it not being uncommon for lots of people to buy and play more games as a result of not being able to go anywhere or do much else (which has also contributed to ongoing hardware shortages).

A lot of people I know lost a fair bit of their disposable income.

A lot of others (with fair degree of overlap) have to spend more of their 'free time' caring for their kids, now that they don't got to school or have after school activities.

Between the loss of money and time, a lot of people lost gaming time, they didn't gain it.

Just my anecdotal experience.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
- I'm trying to ignore anything to do with "voting" after the last year.

- I never check pinned threads.

- My personal winner doesn't stand a chance and I don't care whether it finishes third behind the two obvious forum favourites.

- All the rules and formatting leaves me exhausted and help take the fun out of it.

- I've done it already on a smaller forum where my post will actually be seen and maybe even acknowledged.

- It's almost March, why's it so late?

- I'm old and am happy to just sit back and shut up, I don't need to give my opinion on everything and don't need to hear most others either.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In past years you were only required to write a comment for one game, but this year the rules were changed so that you have to write a comment for *every* game... which is more effort than it's worth for me.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
We have a GOTY thread up? I missed it entirely.
And yeah, I must confess, the last thread or two I looked at that were set up as a vote had a lot of rules and formatting, and it seemed a bit exhausting. Wouldn't a poll through SurveyMonkey (complete with open text fields for commentary) be much easier for everyone?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The thread went up like a month later than usual and I think a lot of people just didn't care at that point

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never vote because I rarely play games the year they are released.

For example, I'm going in order with the Assassin's Creed series and am only up to Black Flag.

Nov 7, 2017
like almost every year the winner is whatever sony or nintendo has released

as a mainly pc gamer i couldn't really give a shit

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a combination of it being so late and having to do a write up for every game on the list. That's fine if people want to do it, but honestly is too much work just to vote.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tbh it's mostly laziness for me. The requirements to make a valid entry just makes me not want to.

It's last of us 2 though...that is 2020's GOTY

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about lists in general and certainly not about a GOTY one. That being said, out of curiousity I clicked on the stickied thread (they really do become invisible huh?) and good lord that voting format! So, you mail a pinprick of your blood and a lock of hair to a PO box and then you get a ballot delivered by a magic owl and you have to fill it out by the light of a full moon and I stopped reading after that. Wow.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty out of view when it's stickied.

I used to run a message board. Ironically stickied threads almost always die on a vine. It makes sense - if it's a topic people are actually interested in there's no need for a sticky because all the replies will push it to the top. Stickied threads need to be stickied because the vast majority a posters don't care about the topic. That's the reason my eyes always skip past those topics. That's also why creators of popular threads should never want their topics stickied. It's a death sentence.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people I know lost a fair bit of their disposable income.

A lot of others (with fair degree of overlap) have to spend more of their 'free time' caring for their kids, now that they don't got to school or have after school activities.

Between the loss of money and time, a lot of people lost gaming time, they didn't gain it.

Just my anecdotal experience.
Understandable. Personal circumstances will result in significantly variable experiences, even with sales figures being what they are. I could be better off in all of this nearly a year into it (what I can commit to this hobby being one of the few bright spots), yet acknowledge that many others have it much worse.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't think I played enough 2020 games to have a solid opinion on the matter. I would be voting popular games or based on my preference and not based on the quality of the game.

So casting my vote, would only contribute to make the GOTY list more meaningless / popularity contest. Which is one of the problems these type of lists have.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I clicked into the thread to see how to enter what games I'd like in the GOTY stuff... and the voting process was so much I stopped reading it halfway through.

I don't care that much about what games I think are GOTY

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I used to run a message board. Ironically stickied threads almost always die on a vine. It makes sense - if it's a topic people are actually interested in there's no need for a sticky because all the replies will push it to the top. Stickied threads need to be stickied because the vast majority a posters don't care about the topic. That's the reason my eyes always skip past those topics. That's also why creators of popular threads should never want their topics stickied. It's a death sentence.
Exactly why I never wanted the annual "Most Anticipated" threads I'd work on to be stuck up there 😄

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I don't care about lists in general and certainly not about a GOTY one. That being said, out of curiousity I clicked on the stickied thread (they really do become invisible huh?) and good lord that voting format! So, you mail a pinprick of your blood and a lock of hair to a PO box and then you get a ballot delivered by a magic owl and you have to fill it out by the light of a full moon and I stopped reading after that. Wow.

*The owl flies in through the window bathed in the light of the full moon. She lands on her perch and unfurls her talon releasing the magic scroll. The witch at the desk takes it and recites the incantation to unlock the scroll. She reads it aloud. "The Last of Us Part 2."*

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I always vote last minute.

The thing is though I vote just because I can, not because I actually ever really care what goty is, here or anywhere else. I watch game awards because I like the E3 part of it.

Plus to top it off it's kinda boring when you already know what will win, its much more fun in competitive years.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Well, this thread made me go vote. I just always never really look at sticky threads most of the time, not even sure why honestly.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
like with everything in life, i'm just gonna cram my list at the last minute

i don't care so much about who wins or not, since this is and always has been a popularity contest, but i'm still interested in seeing potential surprises making the top 20 anyway. if even one more person checked out outer wilds and enjoyed it because of seeing it in the top 10 of last year's community vote, it was worth it for me to have it on my list and contribute to that.

as for this year's low vote turn-out, everyone else has pretty much pointed out the most obvious reasons: the new formatting, the late timing, and 2020 being a suck-ass year in general for a lot of people

calder

Oct 25, 2017
*The owl flies in through the window bathed in the light of the full moon. She lands on her perch and unfurls her talon releasing the magic scroll. The witch at the desk takes it and recites the incantation to unlock the scroll. She reads it aloud. "The Last of Us Part 2."*

Whew, thank you for taking the time to read the full process.

Honestly I'd vote for TLOU2 if I bothered to vote so I guess the system works! Thanks to all the hard working magic owls who put that thread together.

Oct 31, 2017
Lol be my guest, it's a good ass expression.

cb017806ace9e294c2b775fcee7b85e5.jpg

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The rules requiring you to write a bunch of text in order to vote turn away most people. Which is why the rule was implemented, to control who was voting.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first time I ever voted but I can agree with a lot of the sentiments here. I almost didn't vote because of the hoops.

Just let people make lists. Why do they need to explain why they voted for something?

It's also obvious what game is going to win anyway. I only voted to maybe get my favorite game in the top 10 somewhere, but even that's probably wishful thinking.

It was also SUPER late. Why is it almost March 2021 and we're having a vote for GOTY 2020? This needed to happen months ago.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
maybe because most people wait for sales before buying anything so they won't know what their GOTY is until years down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.