• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I didn't even check I your because I don't think my favorite games stand a chance in a vote.

Paradise Killer is my game of the year but I don't think it'll be winning any votes.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, is the result really all that meaningful in general?

Honestly I think it just came way too late. It doesn't even close until March and I think a lot of people have moved on mentally. Also, and this is a much more general thing, I think the community has grown more fragmented and distant in the last few years. The reasons why can be litigated endlessly but I think people just care less about having their voice heard here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I keep putting it off. This is the first year where I'm not even sure I played 10 new games, so it's just gonna be "here are the 10 games from 2020 I played in my order of enjoyment". Maybe I'll do it now.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Takes too much work and "what game that came out in this year is your favorite?" isn't that interesting and feels kind of outdated compared to how people game in 2021. With how large evergreen titles are, GAAS, longterm multiplayer, MMOs, retro gaming, etc people are playing tons of titles that are spread over many years. I gamed for thousands of hours in 2020 and I'm not even sure what game I played actually released in 2020. Plus there's the whole money thing.

I'd find a yearly thread on people's favorite games that they just happened to play in the last year more interesting. Not interested in the "prestige" of GOTY style stuff.

It's the OST vote that saddens me, it's been getting less and less participation each year on era I feel, and now it's struggling to reach 50 posts!

I stopped paying attention to OST votes on the old forum when Xenoblade wasn't allowed to be considered in the year it released in NA because it won in the past. Rules like that and taking away people's voting power sucks and I don't know if ERA has changed the rules much.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I did play a lot of games last year, but not many from 2020. I'll vote for XC:DE.

TBH and really honest... I couldnt care less for GoTYs.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's stickied.

Honestly I feel like 95% of people just subconsciously completely ignore the entire stickied section.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the requirements to write out explanations for each are ridiculous. Way too much effort for something that doesn't really matter. Ain't no one got time for that

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The GOTY thread seems kind of intimidating to me, there is a lot to do there haha. Well done though, much respect to everyone running it.

Also this year was just weird, I don't even know if I could do a GOTY list. Everything was weird this year for me.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still have 3 more games to get through before Saturday when I make my final decisions. I took a peek, and I don't think what I'd consider my Top 5 will be in the final Top 5 of Era at all. The results will be predictable and boring. Just give Naughty Dog the award already.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to just gloss over sticky threads. It's a habit I've had for years of browing forums. The funny thing is that when I do browse a forum that doesn't have sticky theads, I still instinctively tend to gloss over the top few results expecting them to be.

And, I'm not ready to vote for any game of the year for 2020 both because I've not played that many 2020 games and because I tend to let things sit for a while before judging. And the requirements for posting just makes me think that my contribution isn't really worth it. I'd be happy talking about my favourite games that I played in 2020, but not the best 2020 game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As long as all the people lagging behind eventually get in there and vote for Ori & Hades, I don't care when they vote.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I keep honestly forgetting about it and haven't had time to put a list together. But in previous years from like 2017-2019 I just haven't played enough games and haven't wanted to make a 2-3 game list, maybe others feel the same way.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Takes too much work and "what game that came out in this year is your favorite?" isn't that interesting and feels kind of outdated compared to how people game in 2021. With how large evergreen titles are, GAAS, longterm multiplayer, MMOs, retro gaming, etc people are playing tons of titles that are spread over many years. I gamed for thousands of hours in 2020 and I'm not even sure what game I played actually released in 2020. Plus there's the whole money thing.

I'd find a yearly thread on people's favorite games that they just happened to play in the last year more interesting. Not interested in the "prestige" of GOTY style stuff.
Really I'm just here for the lists that articulate why they loved a bunch o' games, so that last thread idea is actually one that would get me the same sort of content I imagine.

At this juncture, the actual results as such mean little to me outside of seeing what surprises sneak into the top 20.

As an aside, the GotY vote can give an idea of what games you missed that you might enjoy, I remember the old forum having some fun post results with users being able to get lists that gave them 10 titles they might enjoy as well as the user affinity which showed ten users with tastes similar to your own so you could wallow in your own tastes.

I stopped paying attention to OST votes on the old forum when Xenoblade wasn't allowed to be considered in the year it released in NA because it won in the past. Rules like that and taking away people's voting power sucks and I don't know if ERA has changed the rules much.
If only I hadn't helped it towards its 2011 win!

I'm actually not sure if you can vote for the definitive edition this time around either

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
If it's more complicated than just clicking a button in a poll thread then I'm probably not going to bother.

It seems counterintuitive, but I honestly think part of it is because it's a pinned thread. After I see it once, I subconsciously put it on ignore after that.

It's not even subconsciously with me. I look at a pinned thread once to see if I'm interested and then I click the "ignore thread" button so it doesn't clutter up my view from then on.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Having to write down fucking sucks ad remembering which games came out etc, so you need to research or read other posts, which takes a long time.

Just give me a click to vote option.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The new vote method isn't all that hard in practice, but yeah, I won't deny it looks like more effort than it is worth at first.

Voting threads shouldn't start with a terms of service style post you have to read carefully. It's not that serious.

Speaking of which, I personally think they should drop the "give a reason for every game" rule. There will be plenty of people who are passionate about their picks and still gonna write something anyway, so let other people just post their list and be done with it.

Last but not least, as mentioned, this year's thread took longer to get posted, so it's kinda mustard after the meal as we say in Dutch.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's hard for me to describe why I think a game is GOTY for me, instead of a simple list. If we could just do lists, I would vote.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Really have no interest in voting especially with the voting criteria.

I just posted a blog instead.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got upset at no "most anticipated games 2021" thread. Besides, as already mentioned, it is harder to follow all the guidelines YoY.

Oct 31, 2017
tbh, I think ending it in March is a good thing as it is much easier to catch up on early 2020 games during the year than it is to catch up on November releases or October releases.

Maybe the community is just smaller. It's still a big forum with lots of sub-communities and I've checked threads like the AEW one just to see what people are talking about, which is a lot of fun. But a ton of people have been perma'd, and whether or not I agree with each one, it's amazing looking at old threads and seeing a bunch of "Banned" "Banned" "Banned." I'm not looking to litigate anything, but I don't know if the number of people who join the forum outweighs the number of bans.

Maybe they do and people simply have less interest than previous years or the board really is more fragmented or some people did the first year only, or the first two, and then just tired of all the guidelines for making a GOTY list. I know about the thread but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I got upset at no "most anticipated games 2021" thread. Besides, as already mentioned, it is harder to follow all the guidelines YoY.
The funny thing about this thread is that half of the top 10 never get to release in the year, probably more than ever in 2021

Not saying it shouldn't be a thing for those who want it mind you.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find the will to vote in there. Besides, not interested in games of the year or anything of the year.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
  • The thread was kinda late
  • My brain mentally skimmed past it in the pins after a while
  • I haven't played that many 2020 games anyway
  • The games I'd want to push (Ori and Tell Me Why) don't have a chance anyway, no matter how highly I would praise them, so why waste the effort

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Right now there's only 500. Is the result meaningful with so few votes?
The result from a forum isn't meaningful period. All it does is capture the game that was well-liked and played by the largest number of people. A blockbuster always wins as a result. You basically have the equivalent of a Marvel Movie as GOTY every year. This year will be The Last of Us Part II. When it comes to media awards they are at least discussing what their GOTY is, making arguments to support that, and maybe even having others try it out to formulate as cohesive opinion.

I don't usually participate seriously because I don't play enough games a year to. For example, I haven't played Ghost of Tsushima or Spiritfarer or past Episode 2 of Kentucky Road Zero.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The OP looks intimidating and overly complicated, even if it's not. It's feels like a terms of service agreement for something that should just be a quick and fun community activity.

It should be as simple as writing out your top 10 games. Nothing more, nothing less. If people want to write up something about their games, go for it. But saying you need to do that to have your vote counted will just push people away from doing it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It seems counterintuitive, but I honestly think part of it is because it's a pinned thread. After I see it once, I subconsciously put it on ignore after that. I put in my votes, but I've forgotten about the thread's existence. I think pinned threads should only be for things like rules, resources, etc., but that's just me. I'll immediately notice a thread if it's part of the first page's non-pinned threads though.
This is 100% why. I get why certain threads get pinned but pinned threads are 100% ignored. Unpin in and more people will participate because it will be constantly bumped on the thread list.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The whole concept of best anything in a subjective medium is just stupid to me, so I don't vote or care. I also immediately ignore all pinned threads.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I usually vote in them but I don't much desire to this year. Not sure why. I think part of it is because the voting system doesn't accurate represent what the people of Era consider the best games, it's more like the most popular games of Era and which games the most amount of people played. It's also a lot of effort to write about ten games. Then you see those games get completely ignored in the tallied results for the previously mentioned reason, it makes it all feel pointless. I'm not sure there's a better way to run a GOTY on a forum, though.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Too much effort, and the voting thing is a pain in the ass to fill in on mobile. I wrote all my nominations and got partway through adding stuff on the checklist, but then I got to a game that wasn't on it, and I literally couldn't add it in on mobile, so I just gave up trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.