• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FF7 was also one guy under massive constraints, as far as i know, with even more text to handle than a SNES game
i remember him even saying that there were points where he was working while unconscious, just woke up to find parts of the game already translated with no memory of doing so
They weren't treated as people back then

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
To add to this, Woolsey's translations were largely criticized and made fun of back when fan translations started being a thing, around the late nineties.

I was not aware they were praised nowadays.
I think that was the "honeymoon period" where Internet folk was at awe with being able to finally see translations that keep true to the original games. But from what I've heard, a lot of earlier Japanese RPGs were pretty basic as far as story and dialog went. I think it should be a give to spruce up dialog during localization if it makes everything flow better. I feel the same regarding anime dubbing. Sometimes a literal translation doesn't "translate" well to English. Sometimes Japanese style of humor or in-jokes doesn't carry over to Western taste. Instead of just going a literally translated route, for the sake of it, it's no crime to chang a bit of it as long as the main ideas and gist are kept intact.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
That was also the era when fan translations shoved in random curse words to make the games appear more "mature." I don't think you really want to take the late 90s' word for anything. Arche fucks like a tiger, anyone?

Woolsey did a great job considering the limitations he was under and two of his translations (CT and SMRPG) are still among my favorite localizations of all time. He deserves to be celebrated.

Duly noted.

I'm still waiting to know if the comments on Byuu's ass on Bahamut Lagoon are actually true.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
A proper localisation needs changes. JRPG's can suffer from overly dry or vapid dialogue if done "accurately", so adding turns of phrase, etc that are recognizable to the reader are preferable.
Ugh speaking of which, I just finished playing Torneko The Last Hope on PS1 and the dialog is dryer than the Sahara! There's zero charm to it. Afterward I restarted Dragon Quest Heroes 2, and it was an oasis. I know not everyone is crazy about modern Dragon Quest localizations but Torneko is definitely NOT an example that works in their favor.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
For Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, accept no substitute.

Atma = canon to me.
RtZQp5n.png

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's what people grew up with.

That said, I think he did a bang up job considering the limitations at the time.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Because changes aren't bad simply because they're changes. Literal translation of Japanese to English sounds really stupid.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt japanese text and dialogues in rpg's still very formal? I remember reading that the japanese scripts for FFXIV for example have none of the personality the english version has.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'll never forgive Woolsey for Vicks & Wedge. He can burn for eternity for that one.

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'm still waiting to know if the comments on Byuu's ass on Bahamut Lagoon are actually true.

I haven't played it in Japanese but the JP wiki Game Catalog makes specific mention of it so it appears to be accurate.

w.atwiki.jp

バハムート ラグーン - ゲームカタログ@Wiki ~名作からクソゲーまで~

バハムート ラグーン 【ばはむーと らぐーん】 ジャンル シミュレーションRPG 対応機種 スーパーファミコン 発売・開発元 スクウェア 発売日 1996年2月9日 定価 11,400円(税抜) プレ...

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Because he did an amazing job.

His work was leaps and bounds ahead of his contemporaries. Outside of Nintendo and Working Designs, nobody else was producing localisations that were even close to the quality of his work during that era.

He understood that localisation was not the same as a rote translation. He imbued his work with personality and charm that the original Japanese work just didn't have. And he did it under utterly insane constraints; both budgetary/timeframe and technical.

Just look at FF7 by comparison. A joke of a localisation in comparison to FF6; and that had all the time, money and storage space in the world to work with!

And honestly? The attempts to relocalise his work are a lesser experience than his original work. I would never want to play Chrono Trigger DS over the original SNES version; the "accurate" translation is dry, dull and devoid of the charm and personality that made his original script a joy to read.

The man deserves all the respect in the world for what he accomplished. Final Fantasy 6, Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger are still beloved to this day, and a big reason for that comes down to the fantastic localisations that Woolsey pulled off.
All of this. Glad to see this thread. Big turnaround from previous threads I've seen over the past 10 years (here and elsewhere, iirc) that shit on him.

Also, OP mentions Celes' name has a connection to space. How so?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
All things considered, it's a fine translation. It's nowhere near the worst. All the mature themes are there and whatnot. I don't like it because all the name changes to all the spells are super annoying to me. And the monsters too. I prefer the uniformity that FF8 and up established with translation overseas.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
All of this. Glad to see this thread. Big turnaround from previous threads I've seen over the past 10 years (here and elsewhere, iirc) that shit on him.

Like "celestial". I never made that connection until now.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Woosley produced far better work than his immediate contemporaries, and he did it while dealing with severe character limits in the text, tight deadlines, and Nintendo of America's restrictive censorship policy. I doubt many (or any) translators today could do a better job than him if they had to work under similar restrictions (take a look at the original Ys VIII translation for a recent example of what happens when translators have to work under an oppressive deadline). Honestly, I find his scripts a bit more lively than the newer Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger translations, although the newer ones are more faithful.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Woosley produced far better work than his immediate contemporaries, and he did it while dealing with severe character limits in the text, tight deadlines, and Nintendo of America's restrictive censorship policy. I doubt many (or any) translators today could do a better job than him if they had to work under similar restrictions (take a look at the original Ys VIII translation for a recent example of what happens when translators have to work under an oppressive deadline). Honestly, I find his scripts a bit more lively than the newer Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger translations, although the newer ones are more faithful.

yup, you can admire the work and the time of the work, and some of the charm of it too, while recognizing that with more time and effort a better and more faithful translation was possible.

and in fact, even when translating faithfully, the GBA version still retained some of Woosley's stuff because it was so good.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Dude is a legend. His work is incredibly memorable which is more than I can say about 90% of modern game writing. Even today I would be instantly more interested in a game if I found out he was a writing consultant on it.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Woolsey was/is the man! He did amazing work given the time/limitations he had.

He made the games charming and added some of the most memorable lines from that era.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
He kept the tone playful while keeping each character's personality distinct.

"Run, run; or you will be well-done!" conveys Kefka's malicious glee, "I work for the Empire now, but don't worry; I won't gorrote you!" is a joke that could only work with Shadow's sketchy reputation, and "Not a word of this o shrouded one." Is one of my favorites.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying "why are the wright brothers so celebrated for a rickety wooden plane, instead of bashed for not making a carbon fiber jet?"

His translation is so full of personality and even today, even manages to stand head and shoulders above a lot of contemporary work.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I worked with / for Woolsey for years. He's a great guy. He's got a quiet sense of humor that I think served him so well in his translations.

Curaga FTW

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
He was great at localizing intent without being beholden by the literal translation. I feel like that's why a lot of contemporary JRPGs creep me out today, they are translated way more literally.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
From what I recall he was a one-man translation hire where communication (via Square Redmond) was very difficult with Square Japan. He was able to use some creative freedom to translate phrases that might have sounded really weird to a US audience, so in a lot of ways he was like the Carl Macek (Streamline Pictures founder: Akira, original Cagliostro dub, etc) of JRPG video games in the early '90s.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with a lot more details, but I respect the hell out of the guy.

Wasn't Macek responsible for Macross' localization into Robotech and subsequently Harmony Gold squatting on the former franchise? If so, that sounds like an insult.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Woolsey text: "That's Shadow. He's slit his momma's throat for a nickel."
Faithful Japanese Translation: "That's Shadow. He'd do anything for the right price."

It just doesn't have the same "oomph" as the Woolsey translation. There's just something more ruthless about it.

Oct 26, 2017
To add to this, Woolsey's translations were largely criticized and made fun of back when fan translations started being a thing, around the late nineties.

I was not aware they were praised nowadays.

I haven't paid attention to the scene since the early 2000s so until I read this thread I never knew it had turned a corner.

Faithful Japanese Translation: "That's Shadow. He'd do anything for the right price."

It just doesn't have the same "oomph" as the Woolsey translation. There's just something more ruthless about it.

Would probably be better without referencing US currency, but yes.

I'll never forgive Woolsey for Vicks & Wedge. He can burn for eternity for that one.

Not being a Star Wars dork isn't a crime

Last edited:

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

the GBA translation actually got this one better
"He'd kill his best friend for the right price"

give shadow's storyline a little bit of foreshadowing in that regard. the original translation makes him sound like a sociopath instead of just a mercenary

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Woolsey did an amazing job considering the time and limitations that he had at the time. Not only was he able to manage an insanely tight schedule and adapt to local content & marketing considerations, he also injected tons of personality onto the characters. He did what good professional translators do: He adapted the game, gave it local flavor, and made it appeal to the target audience.

Most of the fan-translation patches proclaiming to have "more accurate" translations are usually awful, completely devoid of any flavor or personality. They read like what you would expect a machine translating Japanese text to output, not like what you would expect a native English-speaker to sound like. Playing the FFV SNES English patch made me realize just how dry, unnatural, and boring a translation can be. And I was completely appalled that the characters referred to the flying dragon-type creature as "Hiryuu", instead of converting that name to something more English-sounding. Pro translators would never do something like that, even if it's not pristinely 100% faithful. This is why this creature is known as a "Wind drake" or "Wyvern" in the official releases. See how more natural that sounds?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Woolsey was the first translator at Square that made translations feel natural and alive instead of the translation you might find in a foreign appliance's manual. His contribution to translating is not in specific changes, but simply the quality of the translation itself. You only have to play the games he translated (like FFVI and Secret of Mana) versus the ones he didn't (like FFIV or FFVII) to realize the huge disparity in care and quality.

You spoony bard!

*Out of Woolsey knowledge*

I'm afraid Woolsey didn't translate FFIV. :)

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Localization can be hit and miss, love or hate. Personally, FF6 just *worked*. And so did a lot of Working Design titles. Others less so.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Im portuguese, we call the Earth, Terra, so when i played FF6 seeing her name, made her look like an important character. If she was called Tina i would probably not even remember her.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
People seem to assume localization = 1:1 translation or how closely the translation matches source material.
While it is important in some cases, I'd argue Woolsey's work on the SNES era FF's and other games popularized the genre in the west by not doing 1-1 out of (cultural) context translations. Since the 32 bit era and memory not being an issue, we've had a lot of 1-1 terrible/mediocre/forgettation translations of Japanese JRPGs that no one remembers, yet somehow people still remember Woolsey's whimsical translations and 'adapations' of the source material for the SNES games.

I also recall memory restrictions put a lot of limitations towards a straight 1-1, including foricng him to shorten some text passages, and names like Ultima became Atma.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Wasn't Macek responsible for Macross' localization into Robotech and subsequently Harmony Gold squatting on the former franchise? If so, that sounds like an insult.

I was referring to Macek's localizations for a variety of films- most of which have a ton of charm (and certain creative liberties) that I like a great deal. I've never waded into the whole Macross/Robotech/Harmony Gold mess.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017

Well, a Japanese speaker would read Celes as Ceres, which is a dwarf planet. Either that or celestial, as mentioned.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
At the time, you couldn't really be picky. Working Designs did good work, Nintendo (Earthbound) & Sega (Phantasy Star IV) had their moments, and Ted Woolsey's scripts were fun. But then you had stuff like Breath of Fire 2 which is scarcely intelligible at times. I really liked a lot of Enix SNES JRPGs, but their translations weren't the best (Robotrek was dreadful IIRC).