• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Edit: I am black so of course I'm not trying to generalize the black community as I'm asking why some people are and am using Talbert Swan as an example.

So we all know about the disgusting news of Cosy being released. But the thing that shocks me is people in the black community actually celebrating it and propping him up like he's some sort of innocent victim and hero for black people. I mean Bishop Talbert Swan was a person I used to follow and respect for speaking out against racism and he posted this nonsense:

And he also liked tweets that said the whole thing was Cosy being unjustly accused by Karens or whatever nonsense.

Cosby has dumped on the black community as shown here: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adamserwer/bill-cosby-pound-for-pound. People like Talbet Swan who has no problem calling out people like Canadance Owens should know better than to defend and celebrate Cosby. It's really disheartening and disgusting actually.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
So we all know about the disgusting news of Cosy being released. But the thing that shocks me is people in the black community actually celebrating it and propping him up like he's some sort of innocent victim and hero for black people. I mean Bishop Talbert Swan was a person I used to follow and respect for speaking out against racism and he posted this nonsense:

And he also liked tweets that said the whole thing was Cosy being unjustly accused by Karens or whatever nonsense.

Cosby has dumped on the black community as shown here: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adamserwer/bill-cosby-pound-for-pound. People like Talbet Swan who has no problem calling out people like Canadance Owens should know better than to defend and celebrate Cosby. It's really disheartening and disgusting actually.
People in that community have the same issues as any other community when it comes to abusing women, that's why.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
E5JayxjWQAAVGE-

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's extra hard dealing with role models being shitty when you weren't given the opportunity to have role models in the first place. Cosby was one of the first black people on TV and that meant a lot to people.

Like other celebs, he also has very good PR which is how he was able to suffer no consequences for like a decade after the first victims started coming out.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I saw people of all races defending cosby, and trying to defame the victms, saying some horrific shit like they took it willingly, and cosby told them what he was doing and they agreed, etc. Had to stop reading.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Same reason Black people celebrated OJ. It's simply a celebration of a Black man defeating the system that oppresses so many of them. Whether or not he's guilty is irrelevant.

Not that I speak for Black people. That's the last thing I should do.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's similar to OJ being not guilty even though he was obviously guilty as fuck. The justice system has been unbalanced for so long, any black person beating the system is a win in some people's eyes, even if the person is guilty.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its because he has contributed so much to black folks being visible in mainstream media. From his stand up to his movies to Fat Albert and of course the Cosby show. He is easily one of the most prolific black entertainers around and I think its probably hard for lot of people to cope with the reality that their beloved hero is actually a sexual predator.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Same reason why black people celebrated OJ

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't take Rape seriously. Both men and women, but especially men.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
Cause the worlds sucks and people can be petty and ignorant. Some people think he is innocent but most are just using it to push their agenda regardless.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
People are I'm denial and don't believe he did it. Also some bullshit conspiracy theory that the rape allegations came up because he was going to buy ABC.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just black people defending Cosby. He was pretty damn close to a national father figure not so long ago, and people don't want to believe that someone in that position is capable of what he did.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
same thing as OJ. the pd brutalizes black bodies and people see exoneration (eventhough this isn't that) and examples of that.

I honestly don't blame them. I understand why they don't trust evidence the LAPD or Philadelphia PD presents.

They're not the problem. The PD is the problem

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I get the OJ comparisons, but a big part of this is that some people just refuse to believe women when they say they were raped. Even when it's dozens of women by a guy that would get a drug that was a date rape drug before anyone used that term, and that was later banned for its abuse, from a gynecologist who's since had his medical license revoked.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Mysogyny + celebrity nostalgia + a history of black men actually being railroaded on phoney sexual assault accusations (and other crimes) providing the internal justification for their mysoginistic views.

There's never a shortage of people defending male celebrities against such things, regardless of race.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the OJ comparisons honestly. Cosby assaulted black women too.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Pieces of shit come in all skin colors. There are people of all kinds happy he is out because simply believing victims of rape and abuse is too hard for them.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I was under the impression that he had lost favor with the black community at large for his 'be more like white people' comments over the years prior to the rape stuff? So it's surprising, or did I misunderstand?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get the OJ comparisons honestly. Cosby assaulted black women too.
There's that, plus Cosby has dozens of accusations against him from many years while the OJ case was focused around one incident. There's also no clear LAPD racism angle for Cosby as a result.

On the other hand, I think Cosby is far more culturally relevant than OJ was and was viewed as more "safe" due to the nature of his work (and years of bullshit moralizing directed at other black folk).

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
No community is a monolith. For some people, not some black people, Bill Cosby is a tv and American cultural icon. Also, not everyone, again not just black people, don't read up on all the details of his abuse.

And please watch yourself when you start trying to read the mind of the black community.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, I've been seeing white alt-right douchebags on Twitter "defending" him too. But they're only doing it to fight "cancel culture" and not because they actually care about the topic at hand or think that he's innocent.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
There are multiple factors, some of which include:

- Some just straight-up believe that he is innocent (this can be attributed to nostalgia on the Cosby TV character)
- Spite for how the justice system has been rigged against minorities since inception
- Some who really don't think that what he did was all that bad or egregious
- Some that believe he is set up by white women (a-la Emmett Till)
- Some that just don't take the entire situation seriously and just don't really care either way

basically, not every Black person thinks the same and has the same opinions on subjects. We are not a monolithic hivemind.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Partly because some people just don't give a fuck about women and survivors of sexual assault.
That sentiment infects people of all races unfortunately .

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It's a mix of not giving a fuck about the survivors and feeling as if they should defend Cosby no matter what because he's black. I've also seen some of my friends say it's a conspiracy or some shit

All stupid ass reasons

And also, black people aren't a monolith. We have our own thoughts and feelings like everyone else

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this constantly needs saying, but Black people aren't a monolith. It just so happens that some people can't accept that a symbol of black positivity was actually a gigantic piece of shit.

edit: also Bishop Talbert Swan is also a gigantic piece of shit, so I'm not surprised he'd be defending Cosby. Just another example of toxic masculinity from the pulpit. He's tough on racist bigotry. But homophobia and rape culture? That's a different story…

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I would not expect by default any man of any ethnicity to take accusations of rape with the seriousness they deserve. But this is probably too misanthropist to be a fair judgment tbh.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its kind like how people were happy that oj got away with it even tho they knew he was guilty but because he was black it was like some kinda fuck you to the judicial system.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
not Black so I'll speak to why many others still support him and that's

a) decades of nothing but stellar PR
b) "America's dad"
c) sexism

Apr 21, 2018
You have to have some REAL cognitive dissonance if you think 70+ women would make this up and that that phone call evidence of Cosby agreeing to pay for his victim's education is anything but damning.

Some SERIOUS cognitive dissonance. Like needing therapy.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
A mix of love for Cosby, hate for women, not believing in the Me Too movement, distrust for the legal system, and a dash of conspiracy (ex: Cosby was going to by NBC and they didn't want that.)

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I really don't like the framing of this thread.

I'd really like to know if the OP is speaking from the position of a Black person ?

How close can we get to saying black people suck without getting banned: an experiment.

I am black and that's why I am asking why people in our community specifically are defending him when he's shown he's willing to throw us under the bus.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Why do some in the white community celebrate Trump

Not that far off tbh, he bragged about sexual assault and was celebrated for it by a decent amount of people. He was elected into office even with all this shit out in the open. Pretty on point example

Theres a lot of reasons tbh, but every person is going to have different ones

Conspiracy. Some think he was entirely set up (this is wrong obviously)

Disregard for women overall (The US Rape Culture is surprisingly resilient even post MeToo)

Denial (He spent a lot of time being a role model and genuinely breaking boundaries for black entertainers and business, that's hard for people to let go)

The actual misappropriation of Law (some actually are just highlighting the Mispractice of law and are pointing at the system being able to correct itself despite it being for the worst subject)

Community (Some individuals do tend to back anybody who's black regardless of misdoings simply because this world is so damn oppressive torwards us, it's basically a defense mechanism despite it potentially being to their detriment)

Just to be clear, I think Cosby is a POS

Nobody in this thread should be thinking this is some standout example with black people and that his support is uniform in the community

Every group of people has problematic figures that get discussed within the convo in regards to support

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I am black and that's why I am asking why people in our community specifically are defending him when he's shown he's willing to throw us under the bus.

I will agree with you on that

I always found his support odd when this all started due to all his bullshit he's said about us as a people. Def didn't deserve that shit

Fucking dickhead talking about respectability and pants and he was out here assaulting women, what a goofy shit

Status
Not open for further replies.