• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Noticed today that Shadow Tactics had Mac/Linux versions but none available on the Epic Games Store. But these ports are available on Steam.

Ditto for games including:
Everything
Ape Out
Arkham City GOTY
Arkham Asylum GOTY
Torchlight

It would be nice if I didn't have to use Boot Camp to access these games.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Because Epic Store doesn't support Linux. And I have no idea why there are no Mac games because client is on Mac.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do those games have 64bit mac versions? the last macos update broke compatibility with 32bit software (now most of my steam games that were playable before are unplayable), maybe that's why epic is not offering the mac versions of those games.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Add it to the list of reasons Epic launcher is inferior and not just another button, really stinks hopefully you can find those games for sale on steam or anywhere else they have the version you need and play them there when you can.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Epic bought rocket league and then they stopped updating their native Linux version. Even though Tim loves to rail windows he doesn't seem to care about any alternatives.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
do those games have 64bit mac versions? the last macos update broke compatibility with 32bit software (now most of my steam games that were playable before are unplayable), maybe that's why epic is not offering the mac versions of those games.
Sure, but not everyone has upgraded to Catalina, so why punish them? Steam just adds a big warning for all the games that are broken.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but not everyone has upgraded to Catalina, so why punish them? Steam just adds a big warning for all the games that are broken.
yeah it sucks, i agree.
but from their point of view they probably think most mac users are on catalina so unless a game has been ported to 64bit there's not much point in selling it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those Mac ports may have had different publishers IIRC (Aspyr, Feral etc), this is an issue that has existed on Steam too so it's not unique to Epic.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
yeah it sucks, i agree.
but from their point of view they probably think most mac users are on catalina so unless a game has been ported to 64bit there's not much point in selling it.
Well then maybe they should pay as much attention to the Steam hardware survey as much as they do to Steam wishlists cause that's just not true.

Ganado

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those Mac ports may have had different publishers IIRC (Aspyr, Feral etc), this is an issue that has existed on Steam too so it's not unique to Epic.
As far as I know there is only one game that didn't use SteamPlay and that was Black Ops Mac Edition, which is not longer available for purchase.

doodledude

Oct 29, 2017
This is a problem with games on GOG as well. I play the Xcom series on Mac on Steam but even though the series is now on GOG the Mac versions aren't. Aspyr and Feral don't seem interested in releasing non-DRM versions of their Mac games

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Some platform ports are published by different companies, so from a legal perspective requires new negotiations.

Still doesn't excuse no Linux client for Epic Store though.