• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
What TLJ did right was the way it handled Reylo. It didn't look at it as some sort of ship but instead brought up a very realistic connection two characters connected by the force would feel and then had both characters move past that.

Then JJ Abrams came back and smashed those toy figures faces together going "NOW KISS!!!"
One of those characters moved past it.

But I recall us making Kylo drunk force calling Rey jokes for two years.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
as somebody who very much liked zutara and reylo, i often like the idea of a romantic bond building out of one initially fraught with tension, if not outright hatred. moreover, I think i enjoy the notion of the heart prevailing over logic, and the idea of a connection between two characters becoming progressively harder to suppress even as their relationship should by all rights be growing worse. it's very darkly romantic.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Sasuke and Sakura relationship has always been patently ridiculous to me. And I say that as someone who has followed the series ever since I was a kid. Even as a kid I sat there and looked at Sakura fawning over Sasuke and just never understood it. He is just such a class A weapons-grade dick like 90% of time in the series. And yet she still hangs on his every word. Meanwhile you have guys like Naruto who are actually nice to her and she completely ignores them in favor of the guy who is regularly abusive towards her.

Though I will say that the Boruto anime series is doing a really good job of giving him the Vegeta treatment. Taking a guy who was basically pure evil and a monumental dick and turning him into somewhat of a family man.

Oct 25, 2017
as somebody who very much liked zutara and reylo, i often like the idea of a romantic bond building out of one initially fraught with tension, if not outright hatred. moreover, I think i enjoy the notion of the heart prevailing over logic, and the idea of a connection between two characters becoming progressively harder to suppress even as their relationship should by all rights be growing worse. it's very darkly romantic.
The TLJ / Pride and Prejudice parallels are apparent.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just spitballing here -- I think it has something to do with vulnerability being a powerful and even sexy thing. Vulnerability from a normally defensive (even offensive) person offers the starkest contrast.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
It's not. That's basically any femme fatale. Hell, it basically defines Batman's two most lasting love interests.

I feel like there's a subtle difference when the roles are reversed. The appeal of the Femme Fatale seems to be less focused on changing the Femme Fatale and more about the Femme Fatale not just having all of the socially unaccepted interests but reveling in them, allowing the protagonist to do all the things that a socially acceptable character wouldn't do. I mean does Batman ever seriously try to help Catwoman reform? Or does he tell her she should reform and when she inevitably goes back to crime he sorts of sighs wistfully and says "oh well, it's just who she is" while remaining completely open to returning to the relationship?

Femme Fatale is used to let the protag play in the taboo without committing to it. Bad Boy is usually used to make the protag seem more special as only they are the one that's able to temper the Bad Boy's ways. In that sense, I feel like the Damsel in Distress is the closer analog to the Bad Boy than the Femme Fatale is.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bird with a broken wing scenario.

They thing they're the ones that'll be able to change them.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I mean does Batman ever seriously try to help Catwoman reform? Or does he tell her she should reform and when she inevitably goes back to crime he sorts of sighs wistfully and says "oh well, it's just who she is" while remaining completely open to returning to the relationship?
Depends on the story. But yeah, I see where you're coming from. I can't really think of examples where the male protagonist "reforms" the female character in the same way.

Xin_Eohp

Apr 28, 2018
Cause Rian Johnson couldn't handle an interracial relationship in Star Wars. Reylo wasn't even a thing until The Last Jedi. It was always ReyFin to me.

Finn/Rose isn't interracial ? Abrams is so much better by completely abandon her and introducing "randomly" a black woman in her place in IX i'm sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now imagining an alternate power rangers where Zordon has the hots for Rita Repulsa and tells the power rangers to try to convince her she's doing bad things.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
They are popular with girls? Honest question.

I always thought those relationships are popular in their respective fandom because both Star Wars and Naruto are written by men and their target demographic are boys.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
1. Rian Johnson has nothing to do with his.

2. Reylo was definitely a thing before The Last Jedi.

every single thread everything wrong with the world is rian johnson's fault
like what the fuck am i reading

Ok... so what's the stop the Fin and Rey pairing in TLJ just because some fans saw it that way? Are these fans the ones making the movie? Sure, I'm also a fan and saw it differently, but the way the movie played Fin and Rey in TFA suggests there's something there. It's not some random shit that we made up. There were no hints of romance between Rey and Kylo in TFA. TLJ forced awkward sexual tension between Rey and Kylo...

Finn/Rose isn't interracial ?

And it was awkward and badly handled. Just like Rey and Kylo. Need I remind you the minority characters were thrown into some weird side quest.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Zutara was just fans lazily going "water and fire are opposites omg" while ignoring characterization and what is actually happening on screen.

That mystic water "maybe it can heal you" scene was quite romantic. I actually didn't mind Zutara because it was way more interesting than vanilla Aang Katara relationship.

There was tension and conflict, and Zuko was one of the best written characters in the show so it could've worked in a way. They could have explored Katara's guilt too there for example, etc.

But that speaks a lot about the quality of the writing in ATLA. Most shonen are vastly inferior compared to it.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cause Rian Johnson couldn't handle an interracial relationship in Star Wars. Reylo wasn't even a thing until The Last Jedi. It was always ReyFin to me.
Uhhhh.... actuall-
Nah, people were on Reylo from day one. And if Finn was being set up with anyone in TFA, it was Poe.
.... hmm, never mind.
I was SO SALTY that it didn't break that way. From what I read, so is Oscar Isaac a little bit.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Which I don't understand how he can be both when his kid and mentee live like 5 minutes from each other. Not to mention continuation of the bloodline he was so obsessed with avenging.

Teach me how my eyes work dad!

in my headcanon he realized the whole thing was not worth it and he probably thinks rebuilding the clan would lead to a repeat (the whole series started leaning too hard on the past repeating itself by the end)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's an allure of loveless characters, or characters who are obstinately against love, and this idea that *you* the viewer can fix them (or some other character can "fix" them through your fantasy).

For instance, April Ludgate in Parks & Rec has much stronger fan following online than Ann Perkins. Ann is beautiful, smart, kind of funny (well.. maybe not..), but April has always had more interest than Ann and i think it's primarily because Ann is so emotionally available in the show, while April isn't. So, not only do more people fixate on April than Ann, but also I think it makes the eventual payoff in relationships better. The payoff of Andy and April is great. But who really gives a shit who Ann is dating from season to season.

I suspect Kylo Ren shipping is similar. He's the dark mysterious character who spurns human connections and emotion, and that seems to naturally draw out people's interest there.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I think creators should stop the lame love triangles and just stick to developing a single couple for a whole movie series. We need more relationships like Yusuke and Keiko in media.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could do a "shit x say" about literally anything. Not sure what this is supposed to prove.
Shippers in general said plenty of hot takes, that's true but Reylos obsession with "virginity/purity/desire/femininity" and others gender essentialism garbage is a thing to behold and taht I haven't see before.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
The characters are fictional, so people can do what they wish, but with how the characters are written the pairings make no sense. The characters are at most friendly with eachother later in the story or they outright hate and try to kill each other throughout the story. I just don't see a character falling in love with another that did all manner of horrible shit to the main character and other people unless there is significant character development and the characters spend A LOT of time with each other.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what you can often see while browsing fanfiction and doujin, I'm don't know if it's specificaly a girl thing. While you do do often see those ships ( you asked for other example, you can add draco/hermione for example ),I feel like you can often see the same for BL ( thought I wouldn't know if the public is actually women or men, so maybe it does is a girl thing ? ), with ships like sasuke/naruto, Midoriya/Bakugo, harry/draco.

I think Yaoi and BL is mainly marketed towards women not necessary to men in the LGBT community. I don't know much about the story telling, but one of the themes like rape and abuse is somewhat common because a lot of women read these stories project their relationship experiences onto the characters' or they relate.

I think it might be similar here. The bad boy characters if you think about it, represent many negative aspects of masculinity broody, showing little emotion, cold, depending on the character violent, etc. Perhaps many viewers(shippers) insert themselves into to the female characters.

I said that it makes little sense, with how the female characters might be written, would never end up with these characters, but I don't really think that is the point. Like what others said it might be more like a power fantasy. Also, the characters usually are physically attractive, so why not ship the female character with hot male character.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just didn't want the Skywalker bloodline to end man give me some peace.

Oct 27, 2017
A romance filled with tension between two conflicting characters is a lot more exciting than two friends falling for each other. Also, the bad guys in question are often hotter than the good guys. Like, it's not hard to see why people prefer zuko over aang's little bald ass.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm concerned that a bunch of dudes are telling other dudes why women ship bad boys with anyone.
One, only the bad boys in the majority of media have character worth a damn. For example, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Riley Finn vs Spike. Theres a reason the majority of fans hate Riley and it ain't cause he's the good guy.

Second, it's not like we only ship bad guys with women. A lot of slash ships have a troubled soul in them.
Third, who's saying we don't identify with the bad boy?
I could write an entire essay about real life victims, non con fic, h/c and the redemption arc. Its complicated.

Edit: Guys once again, 99.9% of male on male fanfiction is written by straight middle aged women, since I'm see people discount this because it also occurs in slash/yoai

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Let's continue the Skywalker bloodline with the help of the Palpatine bloodline!

Surely nothing could go wrong.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Middling teenage romance centered around the idea of "I CAN CHANGE HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM!"

It's a revalidation of compromise on the traditionally dominate party done in order to sustain the relationship. They could literally dominate the world, but they chose not to because "their love was greater than their ambition".

It's also usually a terrible pipe dream that leaves both parties miserable. Say what you want about the Sasuke/Sakura stuff, one of the things that Bort gets right is showing just how loveless of a relationship it is.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
a9a4fabf15c607d2b6fddb75231b5041.gif

Meh Finn was a clown, maybe if his role didn't get trolled and he was actually a Jedi like in the trailer

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why the bad boy trope in particular is appealing but it's not like the "hot evil woman" is a rare interest in male targeted romance. Or the variant where a woman is less than charitable towards the protagonist initially.

Sometimes the moral and personal complications just make it more intersting.

It's not a 1 to 1 analog obviously but I don't think it's that out there.