• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sasuke/Sakura was always planned.
Zutara was kind of "Wat?"
Reylo was absolutely out of nowhere and I hated how it dominated Star Wars tweet feeds to the point I quit Star Wars over it. I can't even understand the mindset behind this because it also makes my brain itch in bad ways.
I don't know about Sasuke/Sakura being planned. There's NO WAY Kishi looked at that and said "yeah, I got something here."

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about Sasuke/Sakura being planned. There's NO WAY Kishi looked at that and said "yeah, I got something here."
well Sakura wasn't even his character until his Editor told him to make her one, no wonder he didn't know what to do with her. She simply didn't belong

Though he definitely planned Naruto and Hinata right at the start ;d

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well Sakura wasn't even his character until his Editor told him to make her one, no wonder he didn't know what to do with her. She simply didn't belong

Nah. Too many Naruto and Sakura implications during the series.

I don't buy the whole "red herring" thing either.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Because:

A) Movies decided that only villains get to be sexy and dress good.

And,

B) Most of these sexy (relative to the shippers anyway) villains tend to be glorified. Kylo Ren, despite his evilness, is still a thousand times more likable, pitiable and humanised than his real life fascist equivalent would be.

Luka

Oct 25, 2017

Looking back I don't think Kishimoto had anything planned.

"Yeah so it's about a orphan ninja with a demon inside him. Also The main villain is an evil princess named Kaguya but I won't introduce or forshadow her until the last 20 chapters out of 700."

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kishi didn't plan shit. Remember Kaguya?

Well that was 650? chapters later I don't blame him

Anyway he did plan stuff just made changes on the way, having a Editor definitely helped

d6ewwwt-cfbee191-6f33-4cd0-a235-5ec2e7d8acc3.jpg

Just sucks Kishimoto' can't write romance

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
tvtropes.org

Draco in Leather Pants - TV Tropes

Where Ron the Death Eater is taking a good character and making them evil, Draco in Leather Pants is when a fandom takes a controversial or downright villainous character and downplays their flaws, often turning them into an object of desire and/ …
My fiancé and I just rewatched Chamber of Secrets, and Draco calling Hermione a mudblood made me realize something. There's SO many fics shipping Draco/Hermione (because of course there are). Yet they conveniently brush aside or ignore that Draco just calls Hermione the wizard n-word regularly in canon.

I mean, I get the bad boy thing, and I guess a lot of the fics are AUs or whatever, but come on now: it's like shipping a POC with a white supremacist who calls them slurs all the time. That's a whole lot worse than some brooding bad boy being rough around the edges.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018

It was to a point where Sakura only got parents (unlike almost everyone had a one) because of the Road of Ninja movie because without them she wouldn't have no reason to be there, it's kinda awkward

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well that was 650? chapters later I don't blame him

Anyway he did plan stuff just made changes on the way, having a Editor definitely helped

d6ewwwt-cfbee191-6f33-4cd0-a235-5ec2e7d8acc3.jpg

Just sucks Kishimoto' can't write romance

I think those were early drafts he discarded.

Sasuke was added because the story wasn't going anywhere so they suggested giving Naruto a rival.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
My fiancé and I just rewatched Chamber of Secrets, and Draco calling Hermione a mudblood made me realize something. There's SO many fics shipping Draco/Hermione (because of course there are). Yet they conveniently brush aside or ignore that Draco just calls Hermione the wizard n-word regularly in canon.

I guess a lot of the fics are AUs or whatever, but come on now: it's like shipping a POC with a white supremacist who calls them slurs all the time.
Yeah Draco is a shit head in canon, amazing how fans headcannons can completely change a character.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Reylo was definitely a thing after TFA
Reylo was only a "thing" because people will ship what they want.

Seemed clear to me that they were setting up a Fin Rey thing that became one of the many things to get fucked over with the change in directors.
One of the first memes from that movie that I remember was Rey saying "this is my boy friend Fin ... and this is my boy friend's boy friend Poe". It was def a thing were as Reylo was a thing like Zutara.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Draco is a shit head in canon, amazing how fans headcannons can completely change a character.
I mean, Draco changes and becomes more sympathetic and terrified as he gets deeper and way over his head with Death Eater stuff in the last two books. I can understand him changing for the better.

But that doesn't mean he should be shacking up with the person he was calling a wizard slur. Just...come on now.

Oct 25, 2017
I scratch my head at Reylos, and even understood the appeal until it was actually acted upon. That gross ass kiss.

EC47nLKXoAEM8ss.jpg

But I don't think I've ever seen anyone express that sort of thing toward Sakura and Sasuke.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
He killed all of her closest friends and then when they had a kid he dipped. This is before abusing the hell out of his future son physically and emotionally.
On the one hand, you're absolutely right.

On the other hand, "tsundere for his own wife and kids" Vegeta is absolutely amazing in DB Super. I love that aspect of his character, and his relationship with Bulma in Super is awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Cause Rian Johnson couldn't handle an interracial relationship in Star Wars. Reylo wasn't even a thing until The Last Jedi. It was always ReyFin to me.
Reylo was a thing by some fans after TFA. People just ignored them until TLJ made a case. And it worked, but then backed off from it.
And TLJ ended with her shutting him out and the potential for another interracial relationship.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I get the bad boy thing, and I guess a lot of the fics are AUs or whatever, but come on now: it's like shipping a POC with a white supremacist who calls them slurs all the time. That's a whole lot worse than some brooding bad boy being rough around the edges.
Let's not forget all the woobification of Snape who was a wizard nazi.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Reylo was only a "thing" because people will ship what they want.

Seemed clear to me that they were setting up a Fin Rey thing that became one of the many things to get fucked over with the change in directors.
One of the first memes from that movie that I remember was Rey saying "this is my boy friend Fin ... and this is my boy friend's boy friend Poe". It was def a thing were as Reylo was a thing like Zutara.
okay yeah, if that was the case I misread the first post. I totally agree that TFA gives no space to Reylo. But the fandom was there it didn´t magically apearred with TLJ.
I was never Finn Rey because I was FinnPoe ride or die, but TFA build them more than it builds Reylo.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me, I just want to see platonic relationships. Everyone falling for each other gets boring.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a selection bias maybe? And maybe it's not that "girls" like these types of relationships, but "girls that tend to become fans of things" that like them?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Are those not the more popular ships?
Sorry, I meant that it's not in short supply for male-centric media. And you are correct, those are the more popular ships. At least from a writer's perspective. I don't know who male fans like to ship Bruce with. :P

Oct 25, 2017

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
But that shit took a while like Vegeta really didn't accept Bulma/ trunks until mid Buu saga

Sasuke's redemption is in boruto
Bulma was never the weak damsel that waited around for Vegeta like Sakura did.

She consistently went after Sasuke, but she was still independent and capable woman instead of mopping around wondering when her love will be returned.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
OP, it's a garbage trope but if you really want to go down this rabbit hole then check out the Black bellied CEO stereotypes women oriented CNs seem to love.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant that it's not in short supply for male-centric media. And you are correct, those are the more popular ships. At least from a writer's perspective. I don't know who male fans like to ship Bruce with. :P

Ah. I'm sure there's a few examples. I just couldn't really think of any at the top of my head.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I can't speak for the other couplings, but I've come to understand that ReyLo is popular because Adam Driver is attractive.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Sasuke got his Jotaro power-up in Boruto. he's now the MC's mentor and an absent dad.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
What TLJ did right was the way it handled Reylo. It didn't look at it as some sort of ship but instead brought up a very realistic connection two characters connected by the force would feel and then had both characters move past that.

Then JJ Abrams came back and smashed those toy figures faces together going "NOW KISS!!!". Because I assume the studio expected it would get a positive reaction.