• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing research for my Naruto Gaiden video. (Because doing Naruto videos gets me views for some reason) One thing I've noticed about these kind of relationships.

SasuSaku
Zutara from Avatar
Reylo from Star Wars
The Twilight relationships
(What else is there besides these relationships, I need examples for my video)

One thing I've noticed is that they have very prominent female fanbases if twitter is anything to go by. Not saying there aren't male fans of these kinds of pairings. (Remember Psycho Mantis?) With these kinds of relationships, it's because of "All Girls Want Bad Boys" trope. Because somehow they think they can "change" them? (Into what I wonder?) One unfortunate fact I've noticed about shipping is that a lot of it tends to be self insertion.

but yeah, I need examples.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I'm doing research for my Naruto Gaiden video. (Because doing Naruto videos gets me views for some reason) One thing I've noticed about these kind of relationships.

SasuSaku
Zutara from Avatar
Reylo from Star Wars
The Twilight relationships
(What else is there besides these relationships, I need examples for my video)

One thing I've noticed is that they have very prominent female fanbases if twitter is anything to go by. Not saying there aren't male fans of these kinds of pairings. (Remember Psycho Mantis?) With these kinds of relationships, it's because of "All Girls Want Bad Boys" trope. Because somehow they think they can "change" them? (Into what I wonder?) One unfortunate fact I've noticed about shipping is that a lot of it tends to be self insertion.

but yeah, I need examples.
Do you have a channel? Link please

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Cause Rian Johnson couldn't handle an interracial relationship in Star Wars. Reylo wasn't even a thing until The Last Jedi. It was always ReyFin to me.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
For Sasuke/Sakura, I'm not really sure it's the relationship between the two rather than Sasuke's initial popularity among Naruto fans, for his "edgy", dark nature, and I would say Kylo Ren share some of those traits as a character, and it can be attracting for a certain audience.

There was a thread here about Adam Driver attractiveness on ERA a few months ago, and some people were posting about his role in Star Wars and how Kylo dark side was appealing to them, so maybe something related to that rather than the relationship with Rey (which has always been confusing, always felt like it was a brother/sister relation rather than a loving one, no matter that kiss on the last episode).

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
tvtropes.org

Draco in Leather Pants - TV Tropes

Where Ron the Death Eater is taking a good character and making them evil, Draco in Leather Pants is when a fandom takes a controversial or downright villainous character and downplays their flaws, often turning them into an object of desire and/ …

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Whoever even thought of Kylo and Rey being a couple are the people I will thank for ruining the Sequel Trilogy for me.

Okay not "ruined" but made me dislike the whole thing very much.

I just don't see how the two could ever work as a couple, especially after rewatching TFA.

But people seem to like it. And I'm no expert on relationships so what do I know lol.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Why are boys such fans of action movies when if they'd just be traumatized if they got into a real gun fight?

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Sasuke ended being what do you will expect him to be, an absent father and distant husband.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
darcytimesmall.png

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Because of the cool action scenes? Not really sure what you were going for with this analogy
Exactly. Because action scenes are cool. Dark bad boys are intriguing and sexy. Stuff that is dangerous or even stuff that would just be terrible to live with in real life is really fun if it's fictionalized.

It's as simple as that.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
There's nothing inherently special about those relationships. The guys are just portrayed with very confident, very powerful, very clever, very mysterious qualities, which coupled with a strong visual design (nothing gets put on screen by accident) means they're just sexy.

You don't see any girls fawning over Harley and the /real Joker/, it's always sexy Leto Joker or some idealized, unexistant version of the character that amounts to " sexy bad guy with an attitude".

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the idea is that it's something of a sexual power fantasy, in that the girl is so desirous that she can even change the bad boy's broken heart. That's how I remember some Reylos explaining it anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
When does Rey try to "fix" Kylo? Still looking for someone to produce some evidence within the films themselves of that (TFA/TLJ).

She gives him a chance to prove himself and when he doesn't she pulls her saber on him, bails out to help her friends, closes the door on him, leaving him brooding and alone.

She physically fixes him in TROS but my take on that scene was her healing him was more about her stabbing an unarmed opponent and stopping her slide toward the Dark Side.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When does Rey try to "fix" Kylo? Still looking for someone to produce some evidence within the films themselves of that (TFA/TLJ).

She gives him a chance to prove himself and when he doesn't she pulls her saber on him, bails out to help her friends, closes the door on him, leaving him brooding and alone.

She physically fixes him in TROS but my take on that scene was her healing him was more about her stabbing an unarmed opponent and stopping her slide toward the Dark Side.

You're trying to apply logic to shipping

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I do like how the newer Boruto episodes have portrayed Sasuke. I like him way way more than I ever did since I first saw him.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Because the ship has conflict which makes it more compelling to watch unfold.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, fuck Sasuke. But second, to answer your question - there's generally something alluring about "bad boys" in fiction, for all sorts of reasons. Cuz they're hot, cuz they're mysterious, they're flawed, interesting, it's romantic when someone not nice is only nice to one person, etc. The list goes on and varies for different characters and different gals. But mostly, it's just fun to imagine dangerous things in a completely safe setting. Yeah these dudes are awful and the idea of anyone being literally in a relationship with them would be fucking horrifying, but in the safe play pin of your brain you can very specifically imagine your own scenarios where it'd never cross your personal lines. And it's not always about "fixing" them -- personally, when I consume shipping media with "bad boys" I prefer they keep as much of their flaws as possible while still having whatever relationship they're in work, it's more interesting that way and I don't self-insert when shipping anyway.

Why are boys such fans of action movies when if they'd just be traumatized if they got into a real gun fight?
Lol, yes basically this.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Zutara was just fans lazily going "water and fire are opposites omg" while ignoring characterization and what is actually happening on screen.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Because people love to perpetual the "I can fix him. He's a broken soul, I can totally bring him back and he'll fall in love with me forever. I don't care what terrible shit he's done." mentality.

It's toxic and not healthy at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe boys would like the same thing, but the reverse is in short supply. I can't think of many hot women antagonist for the hero to want to 'change' in fiction.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Whoever even thought of Kylo and Rey being a couple are the people I will thank for ruining the Sequel Trilogy for me.

Okay not "ruined" but made me dislike the whole thing very much.

I just don't see how the two could ever work as a couple, especially after rewatching TFA.

But people seem to like it. And I'm no expert on relationships so what do I know lol.

Forget about TFA. After what he did in TLJ, he should have been dead to her. Kylo Ren not being the main villain of the final installment of the trilogy is the biggest missed opportunity in the history of Star Wars. Yeah, bigger than the entire prequel trilogy. There, I said it. Cause Adam Driver is a fucking fantastic actor, and with good writing, he could have had a total breakdown on the level of Azula in Avatar: The Last Airbender. This alone would have made up for all the mistakes the first two films made, IMO.

But instead they chose to prioritize the Reylo shippers, for some reason. And so Rey fell for a dude who nearly killed all her Resistance friends a year ago, and sanctioned killing, like, 10 times as many people as the OG Empire with that one shot from Starkiller Base. So much for their groundbreaking female protagonist. (I'm totally not still pissed about this or anything, nope. Definitely not.)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Zutara was just fans lazily going "water and fire are opposites omg" while ignoring characterization and what is actually happening on screen.
Basically. In the first season, there were only two characters to really ship Katara with (not counting Jet), and Aang is younger and bald, so... Zuko wins by having (slightly) more hair and being older.

Maybe boys would like the same thing, but the reverse is in short supply. I can't think of many hot women antagonist for the hero to want to 'change' in fiction.
It's not. That's basically any femme fatale. Hell, it basically defines Batman's two most lasting love interests.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You missed Vegeta and Bulma OP

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Oddly enough my parents are the same too....

Anyway fuck Sakura

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bad boys are more interesting than goody two shoes.
I guess there's also the fantasy of fixing or at least taming him.

I feel like Sasuke/Sakura was always planned.
Zutara was kind of "Wat?"
Reylo was absolutely out of nowhere and I hated how it dominated Star Wars tweet feeds to the point I quit Star Wars over it. I can't even understand the mindset behind this because it also makes my brain itch in bad ways.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what you can often see while browsing fanfiction and doujin, I'm don't know if it's specificaly a girl thing. While you do do often see those ships ( you asked for other example, you can add draco/hermione for example ),I feel like you can often see the same for BL ( thought I wouldn't know if the public is actually women or men, so maybe it does is a girl thing ? ), with ships like sasuke/naruto, Midoriya/Bakugo, harry/draco.