• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've mostly cleared my PS5 games so I wanted to go back to my backlog of PS4 titles on the system, mostly due to the fidelity improvements in some titles and faster load times.

I guess I was spoiled with the Xbox consoles, but as I understand it, (checked YT and Sony's pages) you need to manually download the saves from the settings menu or use a USB drive? It's not automatic like Xbox consoles?

While not a huge issue, from a UX perspective very lacking here. Especially when I was able to get seamless cloudsaves from my 360 digital tiles on my Series X. I really hope Sony makes this more seamless.

What about for PS5s, are the cloud save seamless across multiple signed in PS5s?

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Little things like this make me really appreciate the user experience on Xbox consoles.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sony really needed to take a cue from Microsoft on this and homogenize the ecosystem. Dealing with PS4 stuff can just be clunky as all hell with different versions and cloud saves and everything. On Xbox it just works and that's it

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Sony really needed to take a cue from Microsoft on this and homogenize the ecosystem. Dealing with PS4 stuff can just be clunky as all hell with different versions and cloud saves and everything. On Xbox it just works and that's it
This stuff works with Xcloud and PC as well I heard.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
PS5 cloud saves autosync across multiple systems. That they haven't done it for PS4 saves is weird. Maybe in their next firmware update.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
The "best" thing about it is the save limit.

I have 90gb+ of space but I had to delete saves because I had reached the number of saves in the storage.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The "best" thing about it is the save limit.

I have 90gb+ of space but I had to delete saves because I had reached the number of saves in the storage.
Oh, right there's a limit. What a bummer. Sony really needs to up their services game. Especially if you're a plus member.

I honestly don't care about free games anymore--I have enough! Improve the services.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
• Download PS4 game.
• Start up game and realize I have no save file.
• Settings, download save file from PS4 cloud storage.
• Wait for minutes for weird "preparing to download" thing.
• Save finally downloads.
• Play game.

Every fucking time.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
• Download PS4 game.
• Play game.

Every fucking time.
Man, that is awful UX.

I may just keep my PS4 connected for legacy stuff.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 cloud saves autosync across multiple systems.

That's useful, because I have five PS5s.

five-ps5s.jpg

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
• Download PS4 game.
• Play game.

Every fucking time.
Or you could be like me who for years didn't have PSN+. I bought it months before the PS5 came out thinking that my saves would just auto upload to the cloud. The only saves that were in the cloud were from the times I had PSN+. Everything in-between is lost forever. Shame on me for thinking this shit was automatic.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've mostly cleared my PS5 games so I wanted to go back to my backlog of PS4 titles on the system, mostly due to the fidelity improvements in some titles and faster load times.

I guess I was spoiled with the Xbox consoles, but as I understand it, (checked YT and Sony's pages) you need to manually download the saves from the settings menu or use a USB drive? It's not automatic like Xbox consoles?

While not a huge issue, from a UX perspective very lacking here. Especially when I was able to get seamless cloudsaves from my 360 digital tiles on my Series X. I really hope Sony makes this more seamless.

What about for PS5s, are the cloud save seamless across multiple signed in PS5s?
But... how did you do previously on PS4 if you had a backlog from it ? It hadn't changed.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
But... how did you do on PS4 if you had a backlog from it ?
Do what?

I only had one PS4 the entire generation. Never needed to use cloud saves until I got my PS5. I set everything to cloud save and had PS plus since PS3 uninterrupted.

For Xbox, I had an Xbox One S, then got a One X, then Series X. Everything was seamless when I upgraded.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do what?

I only had one PS4 the entire generation. Never needed to use cloud saves until I got my PS5. I set everything to cloud save and had PS plus since PS3 uninterrupted.

For Xbox, I had an Xbox One S, then got a One X, then Series X. Everything was seamless when I upgraded.
And the transfer was automated from the PS3 to the PS4 ?

Because here you can only chose to copy multiple titles in one selection with manual download, but only the upload can be automated.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The Plus cloud is unreliable too... my brother started Shenmue on PS5 and he had a one year old save on the cloud. Gladly I have the PS4 Pro where he played the last time and I've uploaded the new file since, for some reason, the cloud still had an old save.

This is why having the ability to make manually backups of saves are so important and PS5 games don't permit to do that. F**k Sony for that decision...

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
• Download PS4 game.
• Play game.

Every fucking time.
Just download all your PS4 saves at once then?

I dunno, I find it pretty easy to use. The only problem is, unlike the PS4, there's no quick download/upload option when you press the Options button on a game, so you have to go into the settings menu to manually download/upload saves.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
And the transfer was automated from the PS3 to the PS4 ?

Because here you can only chose to copy multiple titles in one selection with manual download, but only the upload can be automated.
Not talking about uploads versus downloads. I'm talking about autosyncing. PS4 doesn't do this. Nor is it supported in the PS5 with PS4 games. Sucks.

It's very disappointing compared to the Xbox consoles. It spoils you lol.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Sony's PSN services are laughably bad. It's one of the main things that pushed me to go with Xbox for this gen. Xbox Live in 2011 was better than PSN is a decade later.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's PSN services are laughably bad. It's one of the main things that pushed me to go with Xbox for this gen. Xbox Live in 2011 was better than PSN is a decade later.
I think it comes from their focus. MS is going whole hog on services.

Sony still is very tied to the traditional "boxed" model of gaming. Meaning selling games standalone. Yeah, they have Plus and Now, but GamePass/XCloud seem way more integrated into Xbox and they support devices outside of the Xbox.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just download all your PS4 saves at once then?

I dunno, I find it pretty easy to use. The only problem is, unlike the PS4, there's no quick download/upload option when you press the Options button on a game, so you have to go into the settings menu to manually download/upload saves.
I got stuck on an insanely long "preparing to download" thing when I last tried downloading them all. I eventually just gave up and started doing it piecemeal.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
• Download PS4 game.
• Play game.

Every fucking time.

Don't forget the step where you get asked which save to keep after starting it without one created a new save file!