• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

botossi

Oct 27, 2017
I lot of valid comments already but adding my point of view... sometimes it feels also that developers lack ways to open various worlds within their own IP. Taking as a good example Nintendo... despite having a Mario legacy, they took from Mario, Captain Toad, Luigi Mansion, Yoshi Island and others.

Now, as a bad example also from Nintendo: they tried, in some degree, expanding Zelda universe with some bizarre game from that little seller if I'm not mistaken, but we never had a original Zelda only game, that I remember off..

Usually, an old franchise, has so many potential new IP from charismatic sidekick characters but it is not all "profitable" to invest in such risk universes.

I'm one of those that are always looking forward to new games from my favorite franchises, but after more 30 years gaming, always expecting something new (I'm looking at you Pokemon Co)!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's impossible to know if people are obsessed with old/existing IP instead of brand new IPs. You can start a thread saying that you wish Sega would make a new Phantasy Star and find people willing to discuss the premise because they know what Phantasy Star is. You couldn't start a thread a decade ago saying you wish Nintendo would invent Splatoon before they know what Splatoon is. And threads that are just "I wish X company would make a brand new IP" lose steam fast.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
I have to say I very much prefer new IPs. The problem is that it is quite rare that a new IP manages to build the necessary lore and such to be immediately likable to the fanbase. But we have actually got quite a few even these. I don't mind some new approaches to old IPs mixed in, but yeah, definitely get your point OP and agree.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine we all want fresh new experiences, but what's to discuss?

It's easier to talk about potential sequels to existing games we love, and can relate to.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you don't want to go through the whole world building aspect over and over. There are often tons of interesting stories to explore in worlds that already exist, and it can be exhausting going through "And these are the religions in this world, and this is the different kingdoms and their politics...." spiel that you inevitably get with every fantasy series for example.

It's not that the world building is bad, but rather so many series are so generic that you can sub in parts 1:1, but you have to put up with the game explaining it all to you anyways.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Exposure Effect: people will always have a natural preference for that which they recognise over that which they don't. It's why successful IPs are so valuable - good or bad people are more likely to engage with them and this goes with everything. The vast majority of people would rather watch a bad film with actors and settings they recognise over a good film which is totally new to them.

This is true of everything.

Because new IP hasn't been amazing this gen.

It's not surprising that people prefer the next God of War or Doom.

Is it that new IPs aren't genuinely as good or, being that people generally show a natural bias towards what they know, isn't it possible that new games are likely to come under greater scrutiny as people are more likely to overlook or excuse flaws in things they already know and love (as we all do with things we have an emotional pre-disposition toward)? DOOM 2016 is a great example, in that it was both a good game and it managed to recapture what people had loved about the series in the past. It promised a chance to have more of a thing you already loved - it's a very persuasive enticement and its one that original IPs can't bank on.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Because new IP hasn't been amazing this gen.

Other than Bloodborne and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn, most new IP this gen felt ok.
They are well made (mostly) but didn't really stand out like last gen's BioShock & Mass Effect, not even close.

Anthem, Destiny, Evolve, The Division, Watch_Dogs, The Order 1886, The Evil Within, Days Gone, Death Stranding, No Man's Sky etc. these are the biggest new IP this gen that I can think of, and none of them are mindblowing.

It's not surprising that people prefer the next God of War or Doom.
And in this example God of War basically is a new thing just using an existing series.

Jan 19, 2018
I guess I'm the minority, but I get excited for new things a lot. For example, this year, two of my favorite games were Blazing Chrome and Demon's Tilt. Both are kind of paying homage to older games (Contra and Alien Crush respectively), but they feel like new experiences.

That doesn't mean I don't get excited for big sequels. I'd kill for Forza Motorsport 8 and the next Mario game can't come soon enough.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Because people already know they'll like it, or want a continuation to a story or characters they were already invested in. Seems pretty obvious; weird question

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy sequels a lot so I don't get the obsession with either sequels or new IP, just give me good games.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nostalgia is a powerful emotion. It's natural for people to be fond of things that they know and love. It's why most people have a favorite restaurant that they go to regularly, or that favorite pair of jeans that they wear all the time, etc.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
This does bother me particularly with Sega discussions about so called neglected franchises. One of the things that was special about Sega in thier heyday to me was the amount of times they put out something I didn't know I wanted. I'd just be asking for new Streets of Rage and Golden Axe but then they'd surprise with Panzer Dragoon, Nights, Jet Set Radio etc. It would have been impossible to do both.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
You like something, you want more of it. Seems simple enough to me?
Doesn't mean we don't want cool new games as well.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
People here like to speculate...
It is easier to speculate about something that you already know than imagining something completely new.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
That's the way entertainment currently is. Movies, music, you name it. I don't understand it either. I would much rather have something new.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not understand how the concept of wanting more from a universe you love is so alien to you and others, OP.

I'll take a healthy mix of both new and expanded.

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because being an new IP means absolutely nothing in termes of quality or interest.

I wouldn't care for the game if ND made a racing games after TLOU Part 2 for exemple, even if I played and liked all of their games.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
What if I want both :O

You're an outlier. Most people, given two things, will instinctively try to choose one instead of wanting both, and unfortunately the trend (it obviously doesn't apply just to gaming either) has clearly been to choose "stick with what's safe and that you remember liking once upon a time" rather than "take a risk in the hopes of expanding your horizons and viewpoint". Nostalgia isn't always bad, but we need more risks

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
"Why are people more excited for things they know and love vs things they may or may not like"
Yeah, I mean... it's this. These aren't even mutually exclusive either. People can be, and most likely are, excited about new things, but it's just far easier to be excited about things you already know you enjoy. Because there is a precedent.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the same OP I don't really understand it either. I was there when most of these old games originally came out and while I love and enjoyed them and maybe sometimes like to play them again I'd much rather see newer IP's and more new creative games. Like I went through a nostalgia phase of kickstarting a load of old game remakes, but when I played them I realised they were too similar to old games and didn't really like that or want that.

I'm disappointed with the Final Fantasy 7 remake. The original is probably my favourite game and yet I don't want to replay it with a new coat of paint. I'd much rather play through a new FF with a new story where I don't know what is going to happen. It seems like new IP's don't have any chance any more though.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the same OP I don't really understand it either. I was there when most of these old games originally came out and while I love and enjoyed them and maybe sometimes like to play them again I'd much rather see newer IP's and more new creative games. Like I went through a nostalgia phase of kickstarting a load of old game remakes, but when I played them I realised they were too similar to old games and didn't really like that or want that.

I'm disappointed with the Final Fantasy 7 remake. The original is probably my favourite game and yet I don't want to replay it with a new coat of paint. I'd much rather play through a new FF with a new story where I don't know what is going to happen. It seems like new IP's don't have any chance any more though.

So...Just wait for FF16. It's not like "wanting more Final Fantasy" is something new.

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
The analogy that popped into my head is food. I make an effort to try new foods, recipes, and restaurants regularly, and I find new things I like often enough that it's worth seeking out more new things to try. However, when I get a craving, one of those late-night gotta have it NOW kind of cravings, it's going to be for something I already know I love.

I'm always up for developers coming up with new IPs. See my avatar, for instance. I bought a PS4 solely to have the ability to play H:ZD, having never played another Guerrilla game. But if you ask me generically "what games are you excited to see announced" it's going to be those cravings. New Metroid, new Bayonetta, and more Aloy too please I hope it's coming!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I like new stuff too, but no new IPs have been better than Mario or Zelda in their respective genres so I tend to ask for those. I'll take new 3D platformers as well, but none of them have surpassed Mario in over 20 years. Mario has historically given me the better game than the dozens of new platformer IPs that have come since.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I think Skate is a bad example, because nothing came out to replace the series once it was shelved.

There are no quality skateboarding sims available, and there's an audience for them.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Someone who likes mint chocolate-chip ice cream has more interest in that flavor (and the ability to share that enjoyment with like-minded people) than a theoretical new flavor. Not knowing if they like that new flavor means they can't make a real connection with others about it. A "good" flavor is more appealing than an uncertain/undefined flavor, whether it's an individual or a group.

Not meaning to sound snippy, but that's don't want new things or won't enjoy new things when they experience them, but "a bird in the hand" is an idiom for a reason. I totally relate to what you're saying though, especially when people settle into particular brands rather than a game style/genre.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Yeah, but the POSSIBILITY of something new to love! You already know you like that old thing, why not hope to find something totally awesome and new to love in addition!

New IPs can be either good or bad. It's unknown.
Old IPs can also be good or bad, but the bad ones we forgot and just don't talk abou it. That's what makes you think there is a bias towards the past.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Also who are these hypothetical people who only obsess over sequels that OP is rallying against? I'm sure they exist, but why do they need to be called out like this?

This thread feels a little like grandstanding about OP's superior taste, talking down to others for their own.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Look at this way, because for many of the games we grew up on or just enjoyed when we were younger, we are not certain we will see one of them again. So when we do, we are going to certainly be more excited about it.

For example, where I didn't 'grow up' on Wild ARMs, I enjoyed it in my younger days. It is one of my favorite RPG IPs. Alas, it is a series we will probably never see a game in again. But if that changed, of course I'm going to be damn excited, more than a new IP I have never heard of before or sure what it will be about.

I may give the new IP a shot as well, nothing is preventing me from doing so. But the here and now I would be much more excited about the (hypothetical example) WILD ARMs being released because I thought I would never see one again.

There is always going to be new IPs that will be released, but a game in a series we thought would never see the light of day again, a series that I loved, is most certainly going to make me more excited.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
For me it's because franchises I loved either stopped at one or two entries or its gameplay and/or story could be rereleased on modern hardware for more wider audiences. Sometimes it's because hardware limitations of "Ye olden days" means that games that are "good" could be made even better with a new coat of paint. Sometimes it's because I know of the art and game direction of an established IP and want to see it iterated upon.

Everything is derivative anyways, so something "new" is really just the skin it wears.

Look at this way, because for many of the games we grew up on or just enjoyed when we were younger, we are not certain we will see one of them again. So when we do, we are going to certainly be more excited about it.

For example, where I didn't 'grow up' on Wild ARMs, I enjoyed it in my younger days. It is one of my favorite RPG IPs. Alas, it is a series we will probably never see a game in again. But if that changed, of course I'm going to be damn excited, more than a new IP I have never heard of before or sure what it will be about.

I may give the new IP a shot as well, nothing is preventing me from doing so. But the here and now I would be much more excited about the (hypothetical example) WILD ARMs being released because I thought I would never see one again.

There is always going to be new IPs that will be released, but a game in a series we thought would never see the light of day again, a series that I loved, is most certainly going to make me more excited.
This is how I feel too. Several of my favorite old franchises like Golden Sun, Breath of Fire, Wild ARMs, Star Ocean, etc are either stuck in gacha land mobile bullshit or other bad titles, with no one replicating the formula.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well it's hard to get excited about "something" that may come and be totally new, because you have nothing in your mind to be excited about, really.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Didn't get a ton of new ips that hit this gen, ps3, 360 era seemed to of had more luck. Also, it would seem as game development costs have gone sky high, publishers are reticent to double down if a new ip doesn't become huge out the gate. Last gen games like Assassins creed, Uncharted got killer sequels, blew up and became iconic series. This gen, stuff like The Order, Sunset Overdrive we're dumped after the first game despite showing potential.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
There's no point in discussing things we don't know about. It will only be ideas and everyone has drastically different views of what a good and bad idea is. I didn't know I needed a Switch until it released.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
People grow attached to game worlds and characters, just like they grow attached to places and people in real life.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Because I need a remake similar to RE2 Remake for so many games:

Chrono Cross
Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Breath of Fire IV
and many more

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they have a super conservative taste and score low on openness to experience. I think it's a mistake and creators are throwing their talent away by creating samey games over and over.