• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say angry... more like mildly annoyed but I put 120 hours into the game finished all the trophies on the PS4 and then see that there is a better version with all the music and additional content releasing less than a year later. They really hosed their PS4 fanbase here.

It is releasing exactly a year later. I would love to play the changes on PS4 too, and it is not out of the realm of possibility it will happen sooner than later.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Every platform has all the content from Destiny 1 and I believe Destiny 2 will be even across all platforms in September. Also those deals were announced as time limited at the time.

Every platform has the content for Destiny 1 "now". Wasn't the case at launch and still isnt the case for Destiny 2. You can add asterisks if you want but he couldn't think of any and I gave him literally one of the biggest IPs of the generations.

Those were timed exclusive deals. That content eventually came to the other platforms.

DQ11S isn't even out yet. None of us even know how it will shake out in the future. There is nothing indicating this content is or is not going to be ported unless you have some info there?

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that an enhanced port of a game that came out last year is hardly equal to the amount of games that switch DOESN't get
Ace combat 7
Street Fighter V
Monster hunter world
Resident evil 7
DMC 5
Kingdom Hearts anything
Assassins Creed
and a whole lot more...

What I'm saying is in an ideal world other platforms would get these updates... but in an ideal world Switch would have these games in it's library. We don't live in an Ideal world do we?

What you posted has nothing at all to do with this thread or anything about the content relating to it.

You just sound upset that Switch doesn't have ports that X1/PS4/PC have.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Every platform has the content for Destiny 1 "now". Wasn't the case at launch and still isnt the case for Destiny 2. You can add asterisks if you want but he couldn't think of any and I gave him literally one of the biggest IPs of the generations.

DQ11S isn't even out yet. None of us even know how it will shake out in the future. There is nothing indicating this content is or is not going to be ported unless you have some info there?

I agree. I was just pointing out that the exclusive content in Destiny did/will eventually reach all platforms. I hope it's the same with DQXI because I had a phenomenal time with it on PC. Just have to wait and see.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony threw money at Bungie for exclusive content for a set period of time. They were minor things at first like cosmetics, but then PS would get exclusive exotics, strikes, etc. Not exactly something most people remember fondly in regards to Destiny/Bungie.
Exclusive strikes and weapons. But nothing like DQXI since it was DLC and had a defined exclusivity period announced with the release.
Yea thats not whats happening with DQ. If SE had announced a timed exclusivity deal there would be far less negative reactions.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. I was just pointing out that the exclusive content in Destiny did/will eventually reach all platforms. I hope it's the same with DQXI because I had a phenomenal time with it on PC. Just have to wait and see.

I hope the content eventually makes its way to other platforns. I wouldn't expect it until after 11S on Switch exhausts its sales potential though. Otherwise I dont see why Nintendo would bother publishing it.

Yea thats not whats happening with DQ. If SE had announced a timed exclusivity deal there would be far less negative reactions.

Destiny 1&2 fits what you said in that post. 2 still doesnt have all the content available on other platforms. We dont know whether the 11S content will be on other platforms but given its not out yet its too early to be freaking out imo.

Games launch on new platforms with exclusive content all the time. That's the whole point of trying to get you to buy it there instead of a cheap $20 copy or getting it used.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The persecution complex is the belief that people are only upset because it's on the switch. I can assure you most folks are just upset that they can't get the improvements in their version of the game. Even if they can't add the new content because Nintendo paid for it they could add the new QOL features to the older versions of the game.

If you want to talk about not wanting stuff to go somewhere else seeing switch folks who are absolutely against Square back porting the new content just so they can claim to have the best version of the game is the example I would use.
Ho I'm sure there is, but I didn't see it myself versus the example I give so assume it's at least happening a bit more.
I even went on one or 2 Nintendo centric websites. Probably missed it.

Also lots of people complaining say they'd never get screwed by SE anymore and go buy FF7R soon.
What kind of message is that ?
What if at some point the same happens again and a version of FF7R is released on whatever other platform with a few add-ons ?

And really, it was known since A LONG time, that this version would have extra content, probably before release of the 2 others. Just not to what degree.
Not SE's fault if people assumed : "it's gonna be the 3ds in HD with maybe the 2D mode and that's it".

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm mostly just mad at myself for being unable to wait for the Switch version and buying Dragon Quest XI for PS4. Oh well. If the Switch version goes on sale, I'll probably buy the game a second time.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Ho I'm sure there is, but I didn't see it myself versus the example I give so assume it's at least happening a bit more.
I even went on one or 2 Nintendo centric websites. Probably missed it.

Also lots of people complaining say they'd never get screwed by SE anymore and go buy FF7R soon.
What kind of message is that ?
What if at some point the same happens again and a version of FF7R is released on whatever other platform with a few add-ons ?

And really, it was known since A LONG time, that this version would have extra content, probably before release of the 2 others. Just not to what degree.
Not SE's fault if people assumed : "it's gonna be the 3ds in HD with maybe the 2D mode and that's it".
The first announcement of extra content beyond the voices was in December at the Jump Fiesta. Before that it had no announced exclusives. So no we have not known for a long time.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that there are actual people defending exclusive dlc content for a single platform is laughable and stupid. Sony, microsoft do that too and it's stupid and anti consumer.
Stop defending corporations.
If you think just cause you got the game late then you're somewhat entitled to bonus exclusive content while dismissing the complaint about other people versions, you're a pathetic console warrior.
No dlc should be platform exclusive, especially one that gives non-straight relationship in a game with a straight only one.

Give the other platforms players the choice to buy the dlc.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there are actual people defending exclusive dlc content for a single platform is laughable and stupid. Sony, microsoft do that too and it's stupid and anti consumer.
Stop defending corporations.
If you think just cause you got the game late then you're somewhat entitled to bonus exclusive content and dismiss the complaint about other people versions, you're a pathetic console warrior.
No dlc should be platform exclusive, especially one that gives non-straight relationship in a game with a straight only one.

Give the other platforms players the choice to buy the dlc.

Real talk: in about 6 months to a year after the switch version is released, they'll announce that this "new version" will come to the other systems. Of course they are not going to discuss it right now since they want people to buy the switch version. If they announce "oh, btw later on it will come out on PS4 later" it burns into their switch sales now.

Like, y'all got to wait a few months and it probably will come out in other systems (though not as DLC).

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The first announcement of extra content beyond the voices was in December at the Jump Fiesta. Before that it had no announced exclusives. So no we have not known for a long time.
It was definitely known before that, before the western PS4/PC release. Maybe not officially but I remember people dismissing it as probably being Mario hats and stuff

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It was definitely known before that, before the western PS4/PC release. Maybe not officially but I remember people dismissing it as probably being Mario hats and stuff
Lets not move goalposts and say definitely known means people making guesses. There were no extra features announced for the Switch version except for the NA/EU enhancements until December. No one had any way to know just how much extra content they were going to add into the game. Instead you had Square telling people to support DQXI on PS4/PC to guarantee additional DQ games.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Lets not move goalposts and say definitely known means people making guesses. There were no extra features announced for the Switch version except for the NA/EU enhancements until December. No one had any way to know just how much extra content they were going to add into the game. Instead you had Square telling people to support DQXI on PS4/PC to guarantee additional DQ games.
I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying I remember the conversations from before December. Because I remember seeing folks trying to decide if they were gonna buy it on PS4/PC or wait. I went back and looked it up and it turns out it wasn't anything officially announced, but reports from shareholder meetings in summer 2018.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
2020: FFVII R Episode 1 is released
2021: FFVII R Episode 1 R is released
2022: FFVII R Episode 1 RR is released
2100: FFVII R Episode 2 is released
I know this is a joke, but this is probably closer to the reality than not. RR is the mobile port ;P

I'm not mad at SE, I'm more mad at myself for preordering the digital version of the PS4 version., thinking I would have the time. I got a good 10 hours, but sitting in my office chair in front of my TV for 100 hours just isn't something I can do anymore.

Playing on the train, plane, or lying down in bed is much more doable for me now. The fact that the Switch version has better music and more content is just icing on the cake.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It seems like Nintendo payed or made some kind of Deal for the orchestrated Soundtrack because Sugiyama would never accept his soundtrack to be released in the west like that.

As for the rest of the content: Well, I expect to have extra stuff for waiting much longer as well as having to pay full price.

It's also something Square said they would do before the PS4 version was released. It's just that people downplayed it and thought it would just be the 3DS stuff. A good portion of users even wanted this game to just be a 3DS upport because they were concerned the Switch could even run a PS4 down port.

The discussion surrounding this version really did an 180° once it became apparent that Square was actually putting in some effort to this version.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: platform wars
It's because it isn't on their precious Playstation platform.. For some reason people don't seem nearly as upset about Persona 5 Royale doing the same exact thing with charging $60 for an updated re release, at least DQ XIs has allot more changes and is being offered now as a a portable experience to change things up.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly just mad at myself for being unable to wait for the Switch version and buying Dragon Quest XI for PS4. Oh well. If the Switch version goes on sale, I'll probably buy the game a second time.
Pretty much the same. I'm not even really mad though... I just don't know if I can play through the game again so soon. Kinda like P5 Royal. That one makes even less "sense" to me since it's coming out on the same damn console (like P3 FES did), but whatever. I'll likely pick up DQ11 again on Switch when it drops to like $40 or less.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's because it isn't on their precious Playstation platform.. For some reason people don't seem nearly as upset about Persona 5 Royale doing the same exact thing with charging $60 for an updated re release, at least DQ XIs has allot more changes and is being offered now as a a portable experience to change things up.

How do you people type this lame console warrior shit without cringing.

The P5R announcement thread was full of people complaining, by the way.

Jul 3, 2019
Seems like its just cuz Nintendo is publishing it. Make it worth their while to release it after it already came out a year ago on a very popular console. Got to get more interest in it.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Well, as it happens right now, and most probably in all the future too, the only thing that you can do if you wanna play dqxis is to buy a Switch.

If your goal is to enjoy that, than yeah buying a Switch is a much more productive thing to do rather than whining all the time and lmao-ing in message boards :P
I'm lmao-ing because you sound ridiculous. It's 2019. Give the fans that supported your game the orchestral soundtrack patch at the very least.

"Buy another console bruh" I'm yodelling

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
If as I understand it to be the case, Nintendo paid for the orchestrated music, you aren't going to see it on other platforms. Square is too cheap to buy it, or they already would have. I don't think you will see another version of DQXI for quite awhile, and the developers have moved on to DQXII. I love how PS4/PC players think they are "entitled" to something Square didn't even pay for ... just because

XB1 players should be the ones pissed. They aren't getting ANY version of the game

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
How do you people type this lame console warrior shit without cringing.

The P5R announcement thread was full of people complaining, by the way.
There was allot less complaining and vitrole compared to whenever DQ11s comes up for some reason. I own both Ps4 and Switch and primarily play on PC so I don't care what platform a game comes out on. I just noticed RE is very heavily Playstation biased and DQ11s seems hated because it is Switch only.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm lmao-ing because you sound ridiculous. It's 2019. Give the fans that supported your game the orchestral soundtrack patch at the very least.
SE couldn't license the orchestrated music from sugiyama when the game first came out. i'm sure they would have loved if this massive, big-budget, polished game they made had the best possible music, but the composer who owns the music didn't allow it.
i'm sure for this version, they (and/or nintendo) paid quite a bit of money to convince him since they expected a return on their investment. to expect them to pay the same amount to license it for the old versions too and give it for free is not very realistic. even as a paid download, i'm not sure if it's good business since not many people will buy music dlc for a year old jrpg.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
If as I understand it to be the case, Nintendo paid for the orchestrated music, you aren't going to see it on other platforms. Square is too cheap to buy it, or they already would have. I don't think you will see another version of DQXI for quite awhile, and the developers have moved on to DQXII. I love how PS4/PC players think they are "entitled" to something Square didn't even pay for ... just because

XB1 players should be the ones pissed. They aren't getting ANY version of the game

I would be more than happy to pay a reasonable price for DLC, as a PC gamer. Not having the option sucks.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There was allot less complaining and vitrole compared to whenever DQ11s comes up for some reason.

This Is definitely not true.

The P5R complaining went so far that every single major thread concerning the game ended up having a Mod Post saying that port discussions are not allowed anymore.

The complaints about DQXIS are pretty much only in the initial thread as well as this one.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There was allot less complaining and vitrole compared to whenever DQ11s comes up for some reason. I own both Ps4 and Switch and primarily play on PC so I don't care what platform a game comes out on. I just noticed RE is very heavily Playstation biased and DQ11s seems hated because it is Switch only.
Era PlayStation based? Come on now. The main reason why people haven't complained about P5R as much as with this is weirdly because we all expected something like this to happen. I'm low-key glad it wasn't a Vita remaster because that'd be the Atlus thing to do. Plus, P5R seems to be something much more substantial than the additions here.

The lack of orchestral music was one of the biggest complaints of DQXI back when it launched, only to tell you "well buy another copy and possibly another system if you want it!" is very shitty when it could be just patched. That's on Square being some cheap fucks if it's true that Nintendo managed the licensing of the music, though.

Oct 26, 2017

Well it's either that or stop complaining and just play the PS4 version, even with it's MIDI soundtrack. Not sure why Square Enix is supposed to add in content for a game that came out 2 years ago and isn't selling much anymore for free or even really DLC. Pretty sure the reason why the Switch version even has the orchestrated soundtrack is because Nintendo paid for it, seeing as they're going to be publishing out of Japan

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
From what I've been able to ascertain, the music director is a big fan of Nintendo. Perhaps he gave them a deal he didn't want to give Square? Either way, the music is the least of the improvements to this version of the game

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
SE couldn't license the orchestrated music from sugiyama when the game first came out. i'm sure they would have loved if this massive, big-budget, polished game they made had the best possible music, but the composer who owns the music didn't allow it.
i'm sure for this version, they (and/or nintendo) paid quite a bit of money to convince him since they expected a return on their investment. to expect them to pay the same amount to license it for the old versions too and give it for free is not very realistic. even as a paid download, i'm not sure if it's good business since not many people will buy music dlc for a year old jrpg.
The midi soundtrack was a big concern even before the game came out and It would be great if they at least gave their fans better music, for posterity if not good will. I'm not familiar with how licensing music is handled but those versions aren't going anywhere. It's up to them I guess.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The midi soundtrack was a big concern even before the game came out and It would be great if they at least gave their fans better music, for posterity if not good will. I'm not familiar with how licensing music is handled but those versions aren't going anywhere. It's up to them I guess.
usually the owner of the music licenses it out for a very specific use. it's not going to be a blanket "use this whenever and wherever you want". i'm just speculating since we can't know the details, but most likely in this case sugiyama has been paid to license the orchestrated music for the switch version to be released worldwide. that's it. in order for SE to be able to update the ps4/pc versions or offer it as DLC, they'd have to work out another deal with him. since they couldn't do it for the game's launch in japan or year later for the western localization*, i really don't see them doing it now, when the game has sold 95% of what it'll ever be able to sell and when you consider that the realistic number of people who would pay buy dlc for a single player game 1+ year after release is pretty small.

*for DQ8 for example, the japanese version didn't have orchestrated music but the western localization did, meaning that's something they might have considered for XI as well but were unable to do.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Well, if Square paid for the music you will eventually see it as DLC, or an updated version for other systems down the line. If not, you won't. So guess the best answer is wait and see ...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI is being compared to a barebones and rushed game? You might as well say that for every single game that later had an "enhanced" version released.
There's normally an upgrade path at least, not having to buy it on another system where it looks and runs like crap.
Most of these editions -on PC at least- are often made available for free to thank existing players for their support.
If it's difficult for you to even commit the time to play through these games, then maybe they just aren't for you anymore.
Fuck off with that attitude.
Well, firstly because there's a way to make all those people NOT pissed off: offer the S version as an upgrade DLC for PC/PS4 players.

Square seems to really like doing this shit to their players, though. PC/PS4 players of FFXII are still left without a job-respec system and gambit tabs, the Switch/XB1 versions of FFX|X-2 didn't include the PC version's boosters (even though the PC's Esc menu was implemented in them anyway), etc. Anything to encourage people to double dip.
I'm not sure if they do it intentionally, or if they're just really bad at post-release support for their games.
I'd honestly be leaning toward incompetence rather than malice in this case, considering how quick they are to abandon their games and don't fund patches (NieR:Automata remains unfixed on PC).

Then again, they're also doing things like pulling The Last Remnant from sale on Steam three months before they released a "remastered" version on PS4. It's now been ported to the Switch, but remains unavailable on PC.
In a perfect world this game releases on all plattform, at the same time with all content - sadly this wasnt possible with XI for multiple reason. They still delivered the best possible versions for every initial release - be it for the japanese release in 2017, the initial PS4/PC western release in 2018 or the upcoming Switch release in 2019.
The problem is that this is 2019, everyone is online, and most games are moving toward a GAAS model.
People expect developers to support their games now. If they're adding content to DQXI it should be available to DQXI on all platforms, not just one of them.
How many other examples can you think of this generation where developers continue development on one platform and not all the others they released their game on? There are a few other examples, such as DmC: Definitive Edition, but it's not a common occurrence and people are right to be upset.
I'm personaly used to games getting improved versions I mean why are people not annoyed at P5 the Royal ?
They still have to buy a new game for new contents. No cross save either.
People are annoyed at the way Atlus is handling Persona 5 Royal.
There's not as much ire because Atlus fans are used to paying over the odds for everything they do, and because it's not being released on another platform with the new content being unavailable to PS4 players of Persona 5.
This release looks like it'll perform and look perfectly fine though. It's not exactly a MK11 situation here :P
dqxi-pc-aqjji.png

I doubt they're targeting anything more than 30 FPS on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

'Give the fans that supported your game the Orchestral soundtrack patch at the very least"

Now it's my turn to lmao. Good luck convincing Square to fork more money to Sugiyama to allow that to happen :P

Oct 26, 2017
dqxi-pc-aqjji.png

I doubt they're targeting anything more than 30 FPS on Switch.
Yeah and...? The port looks reasonably close to the PS4 version and 30 FPS is fine for a game like this, especially when that's the same as the framerate on a considerably more powerful system. It's not a game where you need the utmost responsive controls

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now it's my turn to lmao. Good luck convincing Square to fork more money to Sugiyama to allow that to happen :P
i really think a lot of this confusion and annoyance over the music comes from people not understanding how DQ music ownership or licensing music in general works.

SE doesn't own DQ music
they need permission to use it, orchestrated or not
permission to use music is usually given in a case-by-case basis