• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I find it weird people are spinning the complaints as console warring. I played the game on PC but I have a PS4 and Switch as well, still upset because I'll have to buy and re-play the game again not that long after the original release to play the extra content... when they could just patch it in to the existing versions (or sell it as DLC).

I wanted to support the series by buying at launch, but if this is how they're going to do things I'll just hold off on buying the next game until the definitive edition is out.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Whys so many peoples caring about the music now all of a sudden? I saw almost nothing but trash talk for the music before and how basically " theres only 10 tracks and they're all 5 second loops!!" Orchestral modes not gonna magically add more tunes and lengthen 'em soooo??

SE has always been saying that Dragon Quest sells poorly in the West, and if we wanted to see the series continue getting localized it needed to sell well this time. The future of DQ was riding on the sales of 11!

So people bought DQXI on PS4/PC, and I think it did above expectations IIRC. The music was the most requested change.

Then 6 months later they offer a better product, and now won't even give a straight answer if the orchestrated music will come out as DLC. Nobody is asking to get it for free. I think offering it as a 9.99 add on or whatever is reasonable.
This is a great point and yet another strike against the cruddy "buy X so we'll localize/make more in the future!" junk publishers spew.

Did PS4/PC version of DQ XI exceed expectation though?
I bought it for half the launch SRP just 3 months after launch.
It's also missing from SE discussion of their latest quarterly financial report.
Also with Nintendo publishing this version, hopefully DQ will receive the marketing effort it deserves.
The same can be said for maaaaaany games released in that time period. Both huge sellers and not.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I think it's only fair if SE offers the music and voice pack as paid dlcs for the platforms currently released. Switch will always have that handheld feature for those who uses it.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it weird people are spinning the complaints as console warring. I played the game on PC but I have a PS4 and Switch as well, still upset because I'll have to buy and re-play the game again not that long after the original release to play the extra content... when they could just patch it in to the existing versions (or sell it as DLC).

I wanted to support the series by buying at launch, but if this is how they're going to do things I'll just hold off on buying the next game until the definitive edition is out.
We've seen this stuff before. Why not wait to see if it is announced as DLC closer to the Switch release or sometime after before everyone jumps on the complaining bandwagon.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whys so many peoples caring about the music now all of a sudden? I saw almost nothing but trash talk for the music before and how basically " theres only 10 tracks and they're all 5 second loops!!" Orchestral modes not gonna magically add more tunes and lengthen 'em soooo??

Many many people here were lamenting the shit quality of the midi tracks, and I say this as someone who found the music in DQ11 okay.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We've seen this stuff before. Why not wait to see if it is announced as DLC closer to the Switch release or sometime after before everyone jumps on the complaining bandwagon.

Uh people are just reacting to announcements. If Square Enix didn't want this negative reaction it should have announced DLC for the other platforms along with it.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I've played my PS4 from 5 states away with Remote Play. Worked great. And I'm not a "PS Gamer". I have a Switch and I'm double dipping. It's just Switch only owners always want to justify their "on the go" lifestyle and push it like any other lifestyle is not cool or something.
You can't really believe that remote play is nearly as flexible as just running the game natively on the system

Elshyguy

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
User Banned (1 day): System wars.
Because is not on Playstation. Is as simple as that. Let's say the switch and PC version dropped first and Sony six months later announced the definitive version with 8bit mode, orchestrated ost and all the goodies. People would simply assume that SE released the definitive game on the PS4. No complaints. But since it is on the switch and god forbids another platform that isn't the PS4 gets good stuff or Nintendo and Microsoft try to get exclusive content. We revolt.

Playstation fans are just that petty. For some reason. They are like that. Some things never change.

edit: another example is how people reacted to MS buying Obsidian. When Sony got Koijima Productions it was fine and dandy but when MS dared to have a good reliable studio then they were at fault and obsidian sold out. Yet another example is when Ninty saved Bayonetta. So yeah, no one has the right to have good games but them :/

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because is not on Playstation. Is as simple as that. Let's say the switch and PC version dropped first and Sony six months later announced the definitive version with 8bit mode, orchestrated ost and all the goodies. People would simply assume that SE released the definitive game on the PS4. No complaints. But since it is on the switch and god forbids another platform that isn't the PS4 gets good stuff or Nintendo and Microsoft try to get exclusive content. We revolt.

Playstation fans are just that petty. For some reason. They are like that. Somethings never change.

I played DQ on PC and I have a Switch. I am annoyed at the additions being potentially Switch exclusive.

Get your console warring bullshit out of here.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Many many people here were lamenting the shit quality of the midi tracks, and I say this as someone who found the music in DQ11 okay.
Ya that was the thing ta rage about at first but personally I saw it shift to those other things. Like I'm sure thats still a thing but just from when I jumped in it seemed the conversation had changed. I enjoyed the soundtrack an felt nothing was off about it in the default midi form.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Playstation fans are just that petty. For some reason. They are like that. Some things never change.

edit: another example is how people reacted to MS buying Obsidian. When Sony got Koijima Productions it was fine and dandy but when MS dared to have a good reliable studio then they were at fault and obsidian sold out. Yet another example is when Ninty saved Bayonetta. So yeah, no one has the right to have good games but them :/
You drive one of those vans plastered with bumper stickers, don't you.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Not all of the complaints are console warring, but when people are trying to argue that the Vita is as viable a portable platform with PS4 remote play as the Switch is by itself, it's clearly evident that there are PS4 owners out there hat are reeeeeeeeally stretching things.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The same can be said for maaaaaany games released in that time period. Both huge sellers and not.

Just from JRPG, I don't remember this was the case for Nier Automata, Octopath or Xenoblade 2.
Granted the latter 2 are Nintendo published games, but JRPG with good legs or those which has surpassed sales target don't experience massive price cut just 3 months down the road.
Even niche title like Ys VIII didn't drop that fast.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
releasing the game with a midi version that is inexcusable by today's standards and we paid full price for that,

Paying for this was your fault. I would not even consider buying the Switch version if it had this embarrassing midi music.

Anyway, it seems the composer has the rights to many iconic DQ compositions and don't wanted the real music with the game, because he wants to sell CDs or something. It would not surprise me if Nintendo and Square paid to get this music in the Switch version (which is kind of sad, because the composer seems to be horrible person).

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Do we know Nintendo didn't straight up purchase this content or it's (temporary or permanent) exclusivity?

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
There's an astounding amount of people here blaming early buyers for this blatantly greedy business practice, as if we should have known that an industry-standard feature would be arbitrarily held back until they felt like releasing it exclusively with a new version of the game.

Again, I have a switch. I don't care about platform exclusivity, if I wanted to play DQXI again I would. It's the fact that these dudes are calling it a feature to include something that was already finished, recorded, and done, and making us buy a whole new copy to right something that THEY got wrong.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is heated about the 2D mode from what I gathered, but the gimped OST.

Some want the music, some the 2D mode, some the new quality of life features like faster fights, some the extra content and characters.

I don't think square cares much about some angry people on the internet, it's very common that late ports gets exclusive extra content, or some games have platform specific content at launch.

The Switch version will probably outsell all the other versions in the west, that all did not sold much anyway.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Some want the music, some the 2D mode, some the new quality of life features like faster fights, some the extra content and characters.

I don't think square cares much about some angry people on the internet, it's very common that late ports gets exclusive extra content, or some games have platform specific content at launch.

The Switch version will probably outsell all the other versions in the west, that all did not sold much anyway.
The preponderance of replies are about the music, which was a travesty in a modern game.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I can't feel angry at all about this. I enjoyed my time with Dragon Quest XI.
Maybe the Music part is a bit of a bummer.

Oct 27, 2017
About 40 hours into my play through on the ps4 version (had the game since launch but kids/work so don't play much) and definitley won't be double dipping so will hold put hope that at least the extra character stories might become available at some stage. Not too worried about the rest of the features

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).
i wouldnt because i got to play the version first. i mean there are always going to be a "better" version down the line but the game being on a certain platform first is still what counts most in my eyes.

i bought dq11 on 3ds and im double dipping

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exclusive content for a multi-platform games is bullshit, no matter what game or platform it is. We're in a world of easy patches and updates, it's a big middle finger to the fans.

The only reason a game company would do this is for mone- ah.

I mean, I get it. Why would people buy it on the Switch when they could have got it on the PS4 or PC months ago? Add some exclusive content and you've got double dippers on top of the new comers. Maybe sell a few Switch's in the process.

It's just disappointing for those who aren't going to double dip. The same disappointment x person had for x game having exclusive content on x console.

Exclusive content is fine if the platform holder pay for it.
Just like how VR portion for Ace Combat is exclusive to PSVR

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. This is how much people actually care about music/soundtrack in video games.

ResetEra Game Soundtracks of the Year 2018 - Voting Thread

4 flipping pages of votes.

I mean really, there was a lot of chatter about DQ11's music before the game came out.

Here's a 12-page thread about an orchestral mod for the PC version: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pc-dragon-quest-xi-orchestral-overhaul-music-mod-is-released.70552/

Another 19-page thread on a potential orchestral mod for PC: https://www.resetera.com/threads/dragon-quest-xi-orchestral-music-pc-mod.67359/

On top of threads about how the soundtrack is poor (as opposed to purely about midi vs orchestral as above), and on top of plenty of posts in the OT and in other threads about the game's music.

So I'm not sure where this notion that people never cared about DQ11's music being midi came from, or what a soundtrack of the year thread has to do with anything.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Paying for this was your fault. I would not even consider buying the Switch version if it had this embarrassing midi music.

Sure, now it's the consumer's fault, not the company's.

I bought the game because I love DQ, and have played every single one in the series, in spite of XI's awful sound quality. SE shouldn't take advantage of their fans like that, I don't know what you are trying to defend here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

I bought the game because I love DQ, and have played every single one in the series, in spite of XI's awful sound quality. SE shouldn't take advantage of their fans like that, I don't know what you are trying to defend here.

What's wrong with XI's sound quality? It's the same quality as X's.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
TBH if the ps4/pc version sold well in the west I think they would compromise and announce that they would update the game.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I am simple when it comes to this game. As long as the soundtrack is midi I am not buying it.

The moment the orchestral version is updated (and I don't mean as DLC) or a definitive version is released on PS4, it's an instant buy.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
I am simple when it comes to this game. As long as the soundtrack is midi I am not buying it.

The moment the orchestral version is updated (and I don't mean as DLC) or a definitive version is released on PS4, it's an instant buy.

You are being delusional if you think Square Enix is updating DQ11 PS4 soundtrack without considering DLC. Especially considering that Sugiyama is intense with permissions around his work and usually that means royalties/buying the license to his work.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just to look at Square Enix's track record for late retail Switch ports with extra content.

Have extra content that was backported
  • World of Final Fantasy: Maxima (as paid DLC to PS4/PC, not Vita)
Have extra content that remains unported
  • I am Setsuna
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace
  • The World Ends with You: Final Remix
No extra content
  • Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

wasa-b

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kamurocho

How is the notion of "fault" even involved? Year after release, we get a new release on a separate system with added content. Well, I think I should be furious that they changed anything. Fuck you Squenix for listening to players' feedback and polishing the game were it fell short.

If you're such a fan, I can only imagine how, hypothetically, salty you had to be if you owned PS2 and heard about IX being DS exclusive...

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
If you're such a fan, I can only imagine how, hypothetically, salty you had to be if you owned PS2 and heard about IX being DS exclusive...

...What? What does that even has to do with anything I said?

No, I wasn't salty about DQIX, as irrelevant as this is for this conversation.

I used the word "fault" because I was replying to the guy before me who said it's my fault (???) cause I bought the game with the midi soundtrack.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm annoyed because I put over 100 hours into the game and I'm not done it. I put it down for a few months after credits rolled and am now slowly chipping away at that postgame. By the time I'm done, in half a year S will probably be out. And I'll want to see that new content, so it sucks that I can't just buy DLC or something.

I'll probably end up playing S a while into the future, and largely do 2D mode to shake things up. But it's frustrating to miss out on all that stuff.

And, also:

if they're really teasing Jasper as a new party member, which is how I interpreted some of the trailer, I can't see that being before postgame so it would suck even more to have to replay almost all of the game just to see the new stuff

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the notion of "fault" even involved? Year after release, we get a new release on a separate system with added content. Well, I think I should be furious that they changed anything. Fuck you Squenix for listening to players' feedback and polishing the game were it fell short.

you have no clue what your talking about. The music being changed is a huge issue and should be in all versions.

wasa-b

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kamurocho
...What? What does that even has to do with anything I said?
You support the same point with bits like "taking advantage of their fans". That's childish, unless you firmly believe that SE had plan to go with new soundtrack all along for Switch and purposefully went with half-baked soundtrack, which it didn't given the development timeline.

Switch owners who don't have PS4 waited (are waiting, actually) a year more than PS4 owners; will get improved content and suddenly it's a travesty. It's not. And I am not debating here, whether this should be released on PS4 or not, which I think it should, but the very fact whether it is released or not, should not be regarded as a matter of "fault", "taking advantage" or "issues".

I'm also a Persona fan and would be happy to see improvements when and if Persona is ported on Switch, even if it wouldn't be backported to PS4.

The music being changed is a huge issue
No, the music being changed is not a huge issue, it's a huge improvement. That's the point here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why are some of you so mad?
Probably because platform-exclusive content is bullshit.
In this day and age, there's no reason this couldn't be made available as a content update or DLC for the other releases of the game.
It's not like the PS2 days or earlier where they have to manufacture new discs and put it out as a completely new release.

Just buy the game on Switch, problem solved
Ah yes, of course, everyone just happens to own a Switch and feels great about buying the same game again on another platform for no good reason.

Maybe Nintendo paid for it. Square Enix doesn't own the music
Then this release just got a whole lot more problematic if they are supporting Koichi Sugiyama by giving him more money for the soundtrack.

Exctly. Let's not forget, people act like these when it's the other way around. See Remake 2 for instance.
There's platform-exclusive content in Resident Evil 2?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
You support the same point with bits like "taking advantage of their fans". That's childish, unless you firmly believe that SE had plan to go with new soundtrack all along for Switch and purposefully went with half-baked soundtrack, which it didn't given the development timeline.

Yes, that's what I believe. And if you think it has something to do with development time you should think again, cause the orchestral soundtrack was ready and released on CD by the time the game first released. That's what I am complaining about, I don't care if the Switch version has extras, that's only natural since it came after, but it's unfair that the PS4 got a subpar soundtrack considering that the orchestral version was already done, and now they include it in the Switch version like it's some kind of extra that they have been working on since; it's not.

I don't know how hard it is to understand a simple argument like that, so I'm gonna leave this discussion right here. I just think we as gamers should be always getting the best possible product at the time we pay for it, if you disagree and think it's okay for companies to cut content just to charge us more for it later on, than we will agree to disagree.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's what I believe. And if you think it has something to do with development time you should think again, cause the orchestral soundtrack was ready and released on CD by the time the game first released. That's what I am complaining about, I don't care if the Switch version has extras, that's only natural since it came after, but it's unfair that the PS4 got a subpar soundtrack considering that the orchestral version was already done, and now they include it in the Switch version like it's some kind of extra that they have been working on since; it's not.

I don't know how hard it is to understand a simple argument like that, so I'm gonna leave this discussion right here. I just think we as gamers should be always getting the best possible product at the time we pay for it, if you disagree and think it's okay for companies to cut content just to charge us more for it later on, than we will agree to disagree.
The reason that the orchestral version of the soundtrack isn't in the PS4 version of the game has entirely to do with Sugiyama being a stubborn old coot. There was no grand plan by Square Enix to force people to double-dip on the game specifically because of the soundtrack.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The reason that the orchestral version of the soundtrack isn't in the PS4 version of the game has entirely to do with Sugiyama being a stubborn old coot. There was no grand plan by Square Enix to force people to double-dip on the game specifically because of the soundtrack.
Most likely, Nintendo fronted the bill to Sugiyama here

wasa-b

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Kamurocho
I don't believe anyone argues that "gamers" should get the best possible product at the time of purchase, but we aren't since more than 10 years. However, I don't see this amount of frustration when DLC is prepared already when the game is launched. This thread has childish console wars vibe and I don't believe this is being discussed for "gamers'" sake.

Yes, that's what I believe.

BTW. From what you're saying, you agreed to buying a half-baked product, that you know is lacking, from the company that you believe purposefully did not release the best product they could for you to enjoy so I'm really striving to understand your rationale.