• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
« On purpose »

Evidence needed

Uhh, why else would have they done it if the score was already done and they are using it now, less than one year after the original release?

Whatever they supposedly had to do to convince Sugiyama now, they could have done earlier, so yeah, on purpose or lack of care.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
User Warned: Derogatory language.
This is anti consumer why wouldent people be mad? This further instills why there is hardly any incentive in buying a game day one or as a pre-order. Why buy a game to show support when the said company will gladly do this and jip you of the best content they can offer?

You'd think they have learned their mistake on Rise of the Tomb Raider but history repeats.

That's not PC or PS4 owners fault you could not get the Switch version out the same time. FROM Software had the Solaire amiibo available for Switch owners Of Dark Souls Remastered but they didn't conceal modes or extra content or different music as a make up as to why DS Remastered was last to be on the Switch.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, why else would have they done it if the score was already done and they are using it now, less than one year after the original release?

Whatever they supposedly had to do to convince Sugiyama now, they could have done earlier, so yeah, on purpose or lack of care.

The original release was in 2017 and didn't have Draconian mode, or VA, or a bunch of other stuff the western versions had.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

This is implying Square-Enix was even one of the parties that convinced him, which isn't confirmed. Nintendo is publishing this game.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The music, dual audio, and gameplay changes like the increased Speed should all just be regular updates for the other versions and announcing all of that for a new version not even half a year after the NA release is real shitty on Square's part.

It's coming out a full year later, though. And Dragon Quest is always going to be focused first and foremost on the Japanese market, where the originals have been out for 18 months at this point.

Wouldn't it have been better to not have to wait over a year for DQXI in NA/EU? Of course it would have. If you want to be mad about something, be mad at that, not this "half a year" thing.

I swear people in this thread would lose their shit if they were more familiar with the Japanese games market. Yo-kai Watch games come out in July and then superior versions come out in December. Not even six months, the horror.

Yeah at least they could have pulled a Capcom and said beforehand lol

They did!

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).

If I played the game last year, it would be last year's news. There are enough other games to play.

That late ports of games get some extras happens very often, and the older version seldom get the extras.

Especially the music could be problematic to add to older versions, because there are licensing costs, so give it for free could cost a lot of money, selling the music would look weird.

The new storylines are probably integrated in the game so to play them you had to play again. And people on other platforms are probably done with the game anyway.

From a business perspective there is not much initiative to bring these additions to other platforms. I think it's sold not mediocre anyway, despite published on multiple platforms. And honestly, most people I know that love DQ waited for the Switch version anyway.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
As someone who didn't buy Dragon Quest XI, I'm absolutely purchasing the Switch version. I'm actually not a big DQ fan in the first place, but this version seems like a fitting hand held rpg romp.

Feb 2, 2019
The real question is why people care that much about that game ? I think it's more about fake outrage than real controversy. The game didn't deserve all the attention imo, especially when you know who's behind the soundtrack.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
As soon as we knew the Switch version was coming later than the rest, I figured there was a chance for additional content to be added to that version and decided I could wait until it was ready before choosing a version. And if the Switch version turned out to be identical, by the time it came out the other versions might be discounted. It really pays off a lot of times to be patient, instead of having to get big games right when they launch.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Who here who bought the PC or PS4 version is actually planning on replaying a 100+ hour game so soon after playing it the first time? I'm a big fan of the game, but I figure by the time I actually want to replay it, there'll be a PS5/Switch2 version that has great performance & all the content. Or failing that, the Switch version will be dirt cheap.

Like I'm a huge Persona fan, but I just finished P5 on PS4 recently so if there's a Switch enhanced port unless the enhancements are extensive (like FeMC or a FES-style sequel), I'll probably be waiting for a while before I want to jump back in.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's coming out a full year later, though. And Dragon Quest is always going to be focused first-and-foremost on the Japanese market, where the originals have been out for 18 months at this point.

Wouldn't it have been better to not have to wait over a year for DQXI in NA/EU? Of course it would have. If you want to be mad about something, be mad at that, not this "half a year" thing.

I swear people in this thread would lose their shit if they were more familiar with the Japanese games market. Yo-kai Watch games come out in July and then superior versions come out in December. Not even six months, the horror.

They did!
They are not announcing a new soundtrack a full year later.

This game is great from what I played and I dont mind the music but others really do.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
It's coming out a full year later, though. And Dragon Quest is always going to be focused first and foremost on the Japanese market, where the originals have been out for 18 months at this point.

None of that makes this okay for me. None of it.

If that's the case, is it not possible that Nintendo requested and/or paid for orchestral soundtrack as a feature for DQ XI S?
It is possible, and there's at least one confirmed case where that did happen in the past, as the Japanese VA track for the PC port of Bayonetta had to get signed off by Nintendo, as it did not exist until the Wii U port. I really wouldn't be terribly surprised if they did have a rather significant role to play in the creation of all of the new content the Switch version is receiving.

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if the opposite happened. If the Switch version came out last year (the exact same as the PS4 version), but now DQXI P is coming to PS4, with all these new features exclusive to it and the Switch version last year won't get them. Won't you be angry?

Only reason you yourself are not mad is because it's not happening to your platform of choice (not that i'm pointing directly at you).
Who needs to imagine that? That happens with the Nintendo version of a game all the time :P

Hell, often the Nintendo version will often be later, more expensive, and offer less content

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Other companies being shitty doesn't make something less shitty.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's not just a port. The 2D graphics, orchestrated music, speed-up, etc. It reminds me of FFXII:TZA. It's most likely going to be a far superior game, but this Definitive Edition doesn't have the benefit of releasing more than a decade after the original. Rather less than a year, so fans can feel like they got screwed by buying early.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lol every DIrect has at least 2 or 3 ports that aren't getting extra content and fans lose their minds over it anyway. The entire "point" of this version is that it's portable and on a platform a lot of fans prefer. Like Dragon's Dogma didn't even get into a direct and people shat their pants for it.

Do people lose their shit over Dragon's Dogma?
Maybe in this forum, but in general people don't care about Dragon's Dogma and definitely not vanilla port of a last gen title.
Late port without any additional contents don't sell great with few exceptions and publisher usually comes in with low expectation.

DQ XI S is, to Japanese, a re-release of 2 years old game.
DQ is a premier franchise for SE and if played right, the re-release can sell well as shown in the past.
Obviously SE will put some more effort in this version like they did with previous DQ ports.
While the gap seems too short for the western release, remember 80% of DQ market is still in Japan. Western sales is just a nice bonus.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This is anti consumer why wouldent people be mad? This further instills why there is hardly any incentive in buying a game day one or as a pre-order. Why buy a game to show support when the said company will gladly do this and jip you of the best content they can offer?

Ignoring the slur, you shouldn't ever buy a game to "show support" or whatever. You should buy a game because it's a game you want to play, and because it's a compelling value with the content it offers.

If the "MIDI shit" was a dealbreaker for anyone, they shouldn't have purchased the game.

"Anti-consumer"? I feel like we're stretching that term beyond all meaning, at this point. If coming out with a new version of something and selling it for money is anti-consumer, the entire software industry has been anti-consumer for decades. Again, they announced this new version was coming long before the original release. They actually didn't have to, but they did.

Also, don't say slurs.

None of that makes this okay for me. None of it.

I'm not saying you have to be okay with it. But you really shouldn't be surprised.

Square Enix was actually bizarrely forthcoming about a newer version coming.

Last edited:

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FROM Software had the Solaire amiibo available for Switch owners Of Dark Souls Remastered but they didn't conceal modes or extra content or different music as a make up as to why DS Remastered was last to be on the Switch.

But Squenix did, nice of them and not "anti-consumer" on the contrary.

Anyway, it is possible that Nintendo paid for the new VA and music and content.

If the "MIDI shit" was a deal-breaker for anyone, they shouldn't have purchased the game.

If the Switch version had the awful midi music I would not even think of playing this game, but now...

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Reminds me of RE4 when I first played it on gamecube. Found out there were exclusive items and a new ada mission on the ps2 coming out a year later and got it a few years later once it was 20 bucks. Honestly I would always play a game a year in advance even if I knew a more complete game was coming out later. These things happen a lot so you can eithet wait for the bestest collection or play it when it comes out.

I was mad as hell when that happened. Now RE4 and all that content has been ported to everything. It all worked out in the end.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Got it on PC and I am not mad and I own a Switch and have no plans to double dip.This shitbhas never bothered me.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Cause its on Switch and they already bought PS4 version. Idk why people start trippin today when we knew for months that the S version would be different.
I think people thought that the additions would be smaller then they were in the end lol. Don't know why they did since the DQ team has had a few years to work on the Switch version.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
It only makes sense for the Switch to get a retro mode because the 3DS version of the game was never localized outside Japan.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Who here who bought the PC or PS4 version is actually planning on replaying a 100+ hour game so soon after playing it the first time? I'm a big fan of the game, but I figure by the time I actually want to replay it, there'll be a PS5/Switch2 version that has great performance & all the content. Or failing that, the Switch version will be dirt cheap.

Like I'm a huge Persona fan, but I just finished P5 on PS4 recently so if there's a Switch enhanced port unless the enhancements are extensive (like FeMC or a FES-style sequel), I'll probably be waiting for a while before I want to jump back in.

The portability would make it pretty easy for me to play it personally. I am authorized to play games during my downtime at work, but I can't haul my PS4 into work. It would be too easy to just make it a work-only game and probably be able to clear it within a month.

I'm looking forward to DQXI Switch as a big fan of the original PS4 release myself. It's a game I wouldn't mind replaying under the circumstances I just explained above, though I agree with you -- if I didn't have a good amount of time during my personal week to play a portable version of the game, I'd probably be wondering if I was the intended audience for the game based on how long a commitment it is.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe anyone thinks fucking Gamecube games are good examples. It either shows bad faith or just bad critical thinking.

At least use like Civilization 6 Switch or something's lack of Xpac for something relevant.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Middle finger for people who bought the game day one on PS4 (at least on PC, you could mod in orchestral OST). It's a form of punishment to your loyal fans who were there day one for you to get an inferior version of the game when they could have waited just a few months later to get the definitive version.

My guess.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Ignoring the slur, you shouldn't ever buy a game to "show support" or whatever. You should buy a game because it's a game you want to play, and it because it's a compelling value with the content it offers.

If the "MIDI shit" was a deal-breaker for anyone, they shouldn't have purchased the game.

I'm not saying you have to be okay with it. But you really shouldn't be surprised.
Of course that goes without saying that you buy a game to play it no kidding but to buy it full priced vs waiting for it to hit sale? You are showing support and want to be in on playing it sooner in excitement. Between early bugs in games that are released(Last of Us for instance) and this, there's not much going in pre-ordering or playing games Day one. That's all, it sucks for developers who try to put out quality for their game day one to have something like this hover over but alas.

Not everyone is in the loop about the news of what is exclusive and what isn't for a future edition on another console. And expecting people to know what is and isn't and telling them they should have waited is cruel IMO.

It's more about avoiding a trend as far as the MIDI point goes. Seems silly especially when there was a buzz about this heading into the games release.and early impressions but I doubt SE cares.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
"launch exclusive" implied this is coming out in some form on other platforms so im not that bothered really

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
It's literally the music for me. Patch it in and I'm happy. It's fucking awful.

OT, but what's with the "Nintendo users" and "Sony fans" stuff? Are there really that many people that only buy systems from one company generation after generation? I guess that would explain a lot.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
- Exclusive story, fine.
- 2D mode...... okay?

- Exclusive orchestral OST? Fck this shit.
It's literally the music for me. Patch it in and I'm happy. It's fucking awful.

OT, but what's with the "Nintendo users" and "Sony fans" stuff? Are there really that many people that only buy systems from one company generation after generation? I guess that would explain a lot.

Basically, SE set a low bar releasing a product in 2018 with such low quality music.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017

They did!

Ha oh yeah. I was mainly just joking around, dunno why it seems people are upset, it's normal for games to be out out with extras eventually.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm under the impression that Nintendo likely either fronted the money for the new content and music, or secured its exclusivity in exchange for publishing it in the West, in which case any and all of this seems perfectly acceptable.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
"launch exclusive" implied this is coming out in some form on other platforms so im not that bothered really

This is what I came to say. I have a feeling it'll come to other platforms later. Either way, I'm glad I waited on getting this. I can wait until Fall. I have plenty of other games to keep me busy until then.

Oct 25, 2017

So people want to buy the same game over again?

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I remember not so long ago when people were annoyed with Switch fans complaining that they weren't getting the game when others were, and they said it wasn't right to complain because they'd get the extras. So now I'm gonna turn that right around and say it's not right to complain about those extras since Switch had to wait for it.

It's the trade off that some were happy with at the time, getting it earlier.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ecstatic. I traded in the PS4 version today and will get this day 1.

Some of the features, such as the orchestra soundtrack is a up straight slap in the face to people who have already bought the game. At the very least that feature should be a free update to every version.

Nope. It was well known there was no orchestra music before the game launched. Buy a game for what it is, not what you hope it one day might be.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you're getting more content and worse graphics but on a later date, seems like a fine trade off for me so don't get why people would get angry. How about not buy day 1 instead? It's not that SE did a bait-and-switch, all the content that was promised for PS4/PC are there.

I platinumed my PS4 copy and can't wait to double dip for that 2d mode. I was hoping for the hd 3ds version but I'm happy with the extras