• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested in re-purchasing games I already played years ago with better graphics

Also Switch really did have a terrible dry spell for about a full straight year (with the exception of Smash Bros), which is inexcusable for such a young console. But things are looking better now.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The majority of Switch owners aren't the same as hardcore Era users.
I'm sure many only own a Switch and not one of the other consoles/gaming PC's

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Because some people don't want to accept the Switch is not a PS4 portable and won't get their idealized third party support

However, for what it is its getting better and better.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison
-Third party doesn't release any game on Switch-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, at least port your old catalog."

-Third party releases an older game on Switch-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, at least release one of your new games."

-Third party releases a new game on Switch obviously not on par with more powerful consoles-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, why doesn't it look and run closer to the PS4 and PC?"

-Third party releases a new game on Switch on par with more powerful consoles at full price-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, this game is down to $1.99 on steam from $60. Not buying it."

-Third party releases a new game on Switch on par with more powerful consoles at reasonable price-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, release some exclusives because I already have this on steam."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy a Switch for 3rd party support (like many I'm sure) , but if Switch were my only console, I'd be sad about missing out on some stuff. I get large open world games, but stuff like RE2, Control etc...Bethesda is at least giving people options

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, saying the Switch has the best third party support of a Nintendo system since x console(usually SNES) is almost damning it with faint praise.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
"Games on Nintendo Systems Look Bad" has been a meme going back to what, 2006 with the Wii at least if not 2004 with the Nintendo DS.

Some of the more militant fanboys would probably try to argue that the Gamecube wasn't as good as the Playstation 2.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Games on Nintendo Systems Look Bad" has been a meme going back to what, 2006 with the Wii at least if not 2004 with the Nintendo DS.

Some of the more militant fanboys would probably try to argue that the Gamecube wasn't as good as the Playstation 2.

Don't forget 3DS is weaker than PSP.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mostly because the blockbuster AAA titles don't come to the Switch. Nobody will be happy until they can play all multiplats on their system. That goes for any console owner of any console brand.

And now that Witcher 3 is out on Switch it's going to cause even more chaos because you'll hear arguments like "If Witcher 3 can run on Switch, Assassin's Creed and Star Wars Fallen Order should be able to run on it too!".

-Third party doesn't release any game on Switch-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, at least port your old catalog."

-Third party releases an older game on Switch-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, at least release one of your new games."

-Third party releases a new game on Switch obviously not on par with more powerful consoles-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, why doesn't it look and run closer to the PS4 and PC?"

-Third party releases a new game on Switch on par with more powerful consoles at full price-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, this game is down to $1.99 on steam from $60. Not buying it."

-Third party releases a new game on Switch on par with more powerful consoles at reasonable price-
Fanboys/Incels: "Fuck you random company, release some exclusives because I already have this on steam."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reported

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
No, the graphics were better when I played on PS4 several years ago. So it would be silly to be happy about paying for the game a second time several years later just so I can play a shittier version of it.
ah ok i thought you meant otherwise.

Switch is alright for some games (,exclusives last gen ports and some indies) but in some AAA titles the compromises are simply too much i cant help but recommend any other system :^S

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Compared to droughts in the past and the rise of small 3rd party devs (indies) I have too many things to play on Switch.
I've already filled up a 400gb card and working on another 256gb one right now in addition to a good sized physical collection.

third party devs seem to be embracing the Switch as a back catalog machine (but with portable feature). Bethesda and CPBR with Witcher 3 both show the Switch can handle larger games with some visual compromising. It just takes the dev to want to port it.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The level of third-party support is still not on par with the sales level of the Switch, though admittedly it has gotten better. Third-party publishers are rightfully being called out for not putting money where their mouth is. Switch is the most successful console to not get any sort of CoD for example.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I think its solid, obviously way better than the low watermarks of the past few generations. Nintendo first party stuff already keeps me real busy to the level of third party games is pretty ideal for me. Love that I can have switch versions of games like Skyrim, Doom, Witcher, etc. There's a few more franchises I'd like to see ported, but so far it is satisfactory.

What I'd really like to see though, and so far hasn't happened, is third parties investing in built from the ground up IP and franchise games for the Switch.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has the strongest library of any Nintendo console since the SNES, and people will still find stuff to complain about.
That's not saying much though. N64 and Wii U were both awful. Wii had an extensive library but the quality titles were pretty rare. GameCube had a great library but it wasn't really known for 3rd party support (though it did get a few good ones).

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
There are some salty people that think that games like Witcher 3, Diablo 3, Dark Souls, Wolfenstein...dont belong to Nintendo platform just to "core gamers" platforms like PS/XB/PC, and than they are being salty.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to take a guess that the people who want more third party games and those who complain about Witcher 3's graphics don't overlap much.

Redline23

Aug 18, 2019
Exclusive third party games don't make sense short of being Nintendo funded. The switch doesn't do anything special beyond being able to be undocked, and unless a game heavily uses touch screen controls as the main input method, there's no good reason for any switch third party game to be anything other than multiplatform.
My point is those games usually look and run much better than PS4/X1 games ported to Switch. I personally bought my Switch because its first and third party exclusives games that no other system gets.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If Switch is your only console or console of choice I could see why people are bitching about it, it's getting better obviously but not where it should be. Personally this doesn't bother me as I would never buy a 3rd party multi plat on my Switch anyway but again I completely see why it frustrates others.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe anyone who says they don't know what is meant. There's tons of games that come out every week on PS4/Xbox/PC (with maybe one of those missing) at the same time, and that's what people mean. So like this month it's Madden, Remnant, Control, Metal Wolf Chaos, Life is Strange, Dark Pictures, Blair Witch, etc and some of those for sure could run on Switch.

People want more than year(s} late ports. Third party support being BETTER than it was doesn't equate to it being good.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really interested in re-purchasing games I already played years ago with better graphics

Also Switch really did have a terrible dry spell for about a full straight year (with the exception of Smash Bros), which is inexcusable for such a young console. But things are looking better now.

I don't think it's inexcusable, its understandable and was intentional. They launched in their first 8 months with BOTW, MK8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario+Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc. and were still supporting the 3DS with stuff like Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Pokemon, Pikmin, and Metroid.

They could easily have delayed some of those Switch games and had a more balanced release of games into 2018, but I think loading up the system early with games helped make it a success and ensured the long-term future of the console and supporting the full lifecycle of the 3DS was the right thing to do. And ensuring a system's success long term leads to more 3rd party support lately.

Anyway, with SSB, Yoshi, MM2, FE3H, Astral Chain, Zelda LA, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon, etc. within a year I think the drought is over.

With the tremendous Indy support, 1st and 2nd party games, and getting a decent variety of 3rd party games (plus the unique portable feature) like CTR, Crash, Spyro, Doom:E, Marvel UA, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein, MK11......I just don't think the 'not enough games' label that has often been applied to Nintendo is applicable with the Switch.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's inexcusable, its understandable and was intentional. They launched in their first 8 months with BOTW, MK8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario+Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc. and were still supporting the 3DS with stuff like Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Pokemon, Pikmin, and Metroid.

They could easily have delayed some of those Switch games and had a more balanced release of games into 2018, but I think loading up the system early with games helped make it a success and ensured the long-term future of the console and supporting the full lifecycle of the 3DS was the right thing to do. And ensuring a system's success long term leads to more 3rd party support lately.

Anyway, with SSB, Yoshi, MM2, FE3H, Astral Chain, Zelda LA, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon, etc. within a year I think the drought is over.

With the tremendous Indy support, 1st and 2nd party games, and getting a decent variety of 3rd party games (plus the unique portable feature) like CTR, Crash, Spyro, Doom:E, Marvel UA, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein, MK11......I just don't think the 'not enough games' label that has often been applied to Nintendo is applicable with the Switch.
Switch definitely has enough games as long as you haven't played a ton of games before (for example people used to tell me that Switch had a great lineup because of all the Wii U ports... but I already played all those games, I'm not paying full price a second time for old games!), and I think even if you have played all those games things are kicking into full gear this fall and everyone is going to have something new to play.

I'll never say a drought like that is excusable though. I know that Nintendo did it because they wanted to save money, but I don't care if Nintendo has money, I'm a customer because I buy products that are supposed to be enjoyable to me. Thankfully that seems to be behind us though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
From another perspective though I'd say Switch is arguably on track to have a better overall 3rd party lineup than any previous handheld. Even than GBA, DS or PSP really.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Regardless of how many third party games it's getting (both new and late ports) it's still being treated as the red-headed step child by the majority of big publishers when it comes to the big AAA games. Now, I personally don't really care all that much about those and I really couldn't be happier about the Switch's currently library (as my enormous backlog will attest to) but that's the main reason.
But those expectations are not realistic to be honest.
It never was intended to receive all AAA titles in the market, and was not made for this purpose.

It is getting an amazing support for what it is. Some people will keep downplaying it no matter what.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Switch definitely has enough games as long as you haven't played a ton of games before (for example people used to tell me that Switch had a great lineup because of all the Wii U ports... but I already played all those games, I'm not paying full price a second time for old games!), and I think even if you have played all those games things are kicking into full gear this fall and everyone is going to have something new to play.

I'll never say a drought like that is excusable though. I know that Nintendo did it because they wanted to save money, but I don't care if Nintendo has money, I'm a customer because I buy products that are supposed to be enjoyable to me. Thankfully that seems to be behind us though.

I don't think they wanted to save money, they just have a capacity for game development and were stretched between 2 systems. They chose to overload the front end of the first 2 years in order to move units and make the console a success and the strategy paid off. 3rd parties early on were skeptical about the Switch, so convincing them early had an important impact.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, anyone expecting the Switch to perform on par with much bigger, more power hungry, and/or expensive hardware either is clueless about technology or is being disingenuous.

That said, we should always expect more. No Call of Duty is a headscratcher, for instance.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Because the games it does get are typically a lot worse than the other console versions .
It still misses a ton of 3rd party games.

Portability isn't a selling point for everyone .

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Regardless of how many third party games it's getting (both new and late ports) it's still being treated as the red-headed step child by the majority of big publishers when it comes to the big AAA games. Now, I personally don't really care all that much about those and I really couldn't be happier about the Switch's currently library (as my enormous backlog will attest to) but that's the main reason.
This is true. I am in agreement.

Capcom- Resident Evil VII, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry 5... Basically all the latest versions of their main series
Bamco- Ace Combat 7, Soul Caliber, Tekken 7... while there's better support than capcom it's still baffling that these games aren't on switch considering the relationship Nintendo has with Bandai Namco
SEGA- Yakuza, Shenmu, Numerous releases... none on switch

So japanese support is spotty at best
Western support is almost non existent in some cases but spotty as well

EA- Basically nothing
Activision- Call of Duty, Sekiro
Ubisoft- Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, FarCry
Rockstar- GTAV, Red Dead
WB- Mordor, Injustice, Arkham Games

I understand that not every game needs to come to switch ... In fact I'm not even suggesting that. The fact is many of these developers/publishers could bring their franchises to the little machine in other ways like Spin offs, exclusives, ports, and others. Ace combat 7 too much to port over for ya? ... well it's UE4 game so rearrange some stuff and make a Switch game reusing some assets. Don't feel like getting Red Dead 2 orunning on the hardware? ... Throw the first one on there... There's a lot more they could do.

But I'm also in the camp that thinks things are continually improving even if slowly. And there's already so much to play as it is. More games would not be a problem however.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Witcher 3 on switch looks amazing. If there's anything to complain about, it's that it took 2 and a half year for people to realize that close to any modern game could exist on the system without significantly altering the experience.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of "not real Nintendo gamers" in this thread is GAMEFAQs level drivel.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
The only thing about Switch games that I have a problem with, is the trend of only providing what is essentially a launcher on a game card. If I can't buy a game, put it in my Switch and just start playing then I'm 99% certain I won't be buying that game. Being forced to buy an SD card and download 50%+ of a game before I can play it is, quite frankly, bullshit.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like people generally know what they are signing up for when they get a switch. 3rd party support is a bonus and considering the past couple gens it seems to be pretty decent this time around.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I don't get it. People are complaining when Switch lacks third party support but when it does have some big graphic heavy 3rd party games (most recently Witcher 3) people are complaining that it looks bad...
Yeah people loved old ass games releasing on the Wii u too. Remember batman and mass effect? Technically it's 3rd party support but it's not relevant 3rd party support. Let's see if cyberpunk comes to switch.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The Switch has the strongest library of any Nintendo console since the SNES, and people will still find stuff to complain about.

Pshaw, the SNES had maybe a handful of decent action games, and almost none of them had a halfway-decent print run. Beat Saber? Ninja Warriors? Hagane? All that shit has always been crazy hard to find.

Switch is like mana from fuckin' heaven in comparison

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't mind late ports, then the Switch has a great library. I don't even think late ports are a bad thing, All are welcome. See, the Switch user base has a large group of people that buys a lot of games but never had the chance to finish them on other consolesbecause of various reasons. The Switch is a good middle ground of convenience and performance so even though people own a game elsewhere they might still end up getting it for Switch. That's pretty much the case for me. I have Witcher 3 on PS4, but I will finish it on Switch.

By the way, I also think that momentum on third party announcements is increasing. We're seeing more publishers taking the platform more seriously after good sales results of late ports.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I would like more third party support by way of original games built for the hardware as opposed to years old ports of games I already have. The two positions being presented in the OP aren't mutually exclusive, and threads based around "people say this or that" are generally pointless tbh.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not seeing a lot of complaints there (side note, any one who complains about a lack of content on any modern gaming platform is fucking nuts), but I reckon if people are complaining it's because the term "third-party support" has become secondhand for "mega-budget games from western third parties" in enthusiast circles such as this one.

As of July, Switch had over 2,000 games. Nintendo has published about 50 of those. Third-party support is fine.

Aug 12, 2019
The Switch's third party situation informs us more about how publishers are approaching games these days rather than an actual reflection of Nintendo. Publishers just have no desire to put resources towards more products when they can just treat "games as a service" as a near infinite cash cow. The number of games releasing are dramatically lower than in the past from the big publishers and they refuse to take a chance on almost anything. Big fancy graphically intensive games are almost all some of these companies have, and those sorts of things aren't going to look as good on Switch and people are going to notice that a lot of these games are well, a bit shit mechanically or gameplay wise. The AAA gaming market is honestly a disgusting and increasingly homogenized sector that has no room for "unique titles built around one console." Hell, when they do port their games, a great deal of them won't even put any effort behind them to begin with.

I think people forget how long it took for the PS4 and Xbox One to not be basically cross-gen and port based machines. It wasn't until 2015 that the heavy hitters finally started to trickle out, both from a first party and a third party perspective. Many games were older ports too with stuff like Dishonored Definitive, Diablo III, Borderlands The Handsome Collection, The Last of Us Remastered, etc. Which, again, reflects more poorly on where we're at with AAA gaming. These companies are going to often do the bare minimum and the "safest" route forward. Only in the past 3 years have things really started to go towards "proper" AAA support on the main systems. So, yeah, Nintendo doesn't get a ton day and date with other systems because it takes effort to port them and investment on a publisher/developer's part, and it often takes away some of the more redeeming elements of these games (Graphics, sound design, etc.) and reveals how bare other experiences can be.

The Switch's support has been about as good as you can hope for from an unambitious and stagnant industry that refuses to break out of the current mold. Ports of existing games because these publishers often have trouble developing their own major releases at the best of times, and people's confidence in third parties on Nintendo has dropped progressively as the third party's put out inferior, overpriced, and problematic versions. Some of them turn out pretty well like DOOM, Skyrim, and presumably The Witcher III, but a lot more turn out like WWE2K18 or Fifa in which the versions are downright broken or are missing massive chunks of content and support from the parent company.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because there's an obvious reluctancy from AAA publishers to support it despite clear evidences and successful stories confirming it's a worthy investiment. It feels like it's personal and there's an agenda against Nintendo.

After how well The Witcher 3 is performing on the Switch hardware (and other AAA efforts beforehand), despite it's limitation, we can question most of the AAA excuses to ignore it. If Switch can handle MK11, there's no valid excuse to say Tekken 7, DOA 6 and Soul Calibur 6 can't. Same goes for many other AAA titles. The money is there, the hardware can handle their games, but they simply don't care about it.