• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I don't get it. People are complaining when Switch lacks third party support but when it does have some big graphic heavy 3rd party games (most recently Witcher 3) people are complaining that it looks bad...

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Because some gamers are never satisfied and just like to bitch.

The Switch has the strongest library of any Nintendo console since the SNES, and people will still find stuff to complain about.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some folks want the same support the other platforms get, whether it's feasible or not.

I get it, but I personally couldn't be happier with Switch's current position.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because some gamers are never satisfied and just like to bitch.

The Switch has the strongest library of any Nintendo console since the SNES, and people will still find stuff to complain about.
Yep.

Not to mention I'll gladly forego the odd Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed for the stuff that's only on Switch. This August-December alone is fucking stacked with exclusive games and they all look bomb af (to me, anyway). Not to mention Doom 2 (maybe the most hyped third-party game this fall) is coming to Switch.

It's doing just fine.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Everything looks bad for people used to 4k
This forum does not mean the general gaming population

but it is a FACT that Microsoft published more games released this gen on the switch than EA and Capcom (maybe konami too? I don't remember)
Micro fucking Soft
You know like nintendo's direct competitor ?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how many third party games it's getting (both new and late ports) it's still being treated as the red-headed step child by the majority of big publishers when it comes to the big AAA games. Now, I personally don't really care all that much about those and I really couldn't be happier about the Switch's currently library (as my enormous backlog will attest to) but that's the main reason.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Because the Switch still lacks the biggest third party games. Overwatch, Red Dead, Call of Duty, Destiny 2, etc.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how many third party games it's getting (both new and late ports) it's still being treated as the red-headed step child by the majority of big publishers when it comes to the big AAA games. Now, I personally don't really care all that much about those and I really couldn't be happier about the Switch's currently library (as my enormous backlog will attest to) but that's the main reason.

This, but it's not necessarily restricted to AAA/western games. Support from Japanese publishers is still very hit or miss.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I jump in the store every week, and there's rarely ever anything I'm interested in. I'll grab the occasional 2D game just so I have something to use my Switch for.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
People on the internet and here like to complain.

The vast majority of ordinary players are not complaining. They're enjoying their games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This, but it's not necessarily restricted to AAA/western games. Support from Japanese publishers is still very hit or miss.

I never said it was just Western, yeah. But outside of the AAA space it's still getting the majority of multiplats I'd say, Western or Japanese.

I am not saying it does but if some of these would get ported people would be complaining that it looks bad. That's my ponit.

The people complaining about lack of support aren't necessarily the same people complaining about games looking bad.

Chub717

Alt account
Banned
Jul 11, 2019
PSP and 3DS got exclusive games designed for their hardware, that's 3rd parties putting forth real effort. I would have rather had a scaled down, unique story in The Witcher 3 world that runs at native 720p in handheld/1080p docked than to have a blurry conversion of the original game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never said it was just Western, yeah. But outside of the AAA space it's still getting the majority of multiplats I'd say, Western or Japanese.

The people complaining about lack of support aren't necessarily the same people complaining about games looking bad.

That was more of a general point that people seem to think first of games like COD and Assassin's Creed when I'd say most complaints are about stuff like Persona and Tales which skip the system.

Apr 21, 2018
Are people really complaining? Because it seems the last few months and weeks and days have been mostly people complaining about there being TOO many games.

If anyone bought a Switch hoping for RDR2 and Madden and COD, well, they probably bought the wrong console.

But there are enough exclusively-developed 3rd party games, ports from dedicated studios, and indie games to keep anyone busy.

As far as exclusive 3rd party support and indie's go, I'd even say the Switch has better support than Xbox One and PS4.

If we look at the 3rd parties outside the big North American publishers, the Switch has pretty damn good 3rd party support!

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I am not saying it does but if some of these would get ported people would be complaining that it looks bad. That's my ponit.

Some people complain that games look bad on every console though. Not just switch.

And if someone buys a switch feel like third party support isn't up to scratch then for them it's a valid argument. Let's be honest, Nintendo consoles aren't great when it comes to TPS.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's really just with the big publishers in Japan too, everyone else in terms of mid size, small and indie pubs is largely onboard. It's almost exactly the issue Switch has in the west with 3rd parties, the handful of largest traditional publishers.

I'd say the big pubs in Japan are mostly better than the western ones on this though.

Oct 29, 2017
Third party support can be had even if it isn't their AAA. Like with Microsoft, people are asking for the games like Ori, not Gears 5.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty good, def better than the last few Nintendo consoles

I hope they keep complaining though to keep third parties aware, don't want to lose them again for people that care about them

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it. People are complaining when Switch lacks third party support but when it does have some big graphic heavy 3rd party games (most recently Witcher 3) people are complaining that it looks bad...
Some of it might be legit complaints (Witcher 3 does indeed look bad), but sometimes it's just console war trolling. Like that poster who said Ori doesn't run well on the Switch, and when the dev came in to confirm 1080p and steady 60fps the poster suddenly switched to HDR not being in the game (it isn't for any version).

Personally I'm happy with it outside of Capcoms legit troll moves and asshattery.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
maybe it's because they want those large third parties on the go. I know it would be awesome to play portable destiny and monster Hunter world personally even if it means much lower fidelity

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, at this point it feels like Nintendo's decision force 3rd party devs to downgrade their triple a titles and specially optimize them if they want them to run switch is the problem. I agree there are plenty of great games out there on the platform from most publishers. Just the Switch platform seems hard to push live service bullshit and pretty graphics. Meh. At the end of the day it's a great platform with loads of great exclusive content.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's a very odd third party library. Not great, but not lacking either. It feels like games that shouldn't even be touching a portable system are being ported (but I'm glad they are, obviously), but some obvious choices (i.e. Madden, remasters, and JP support in the form of anime games) are being omitted for strange reasons. It'll be interesting to see how the third party situation turns out when next gen really hits, which honestly might still be a couple of years after the actual launch ala this generation.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the switch is doing as well as it is, just imagine how well it would sell if it had better specs, so that is was also capable of playing all the latest 3rd party games.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Don't really buy any of those types of games on my Switch. Rather play them on my PC or Pro. Switch only gets use for First party stuff and uncompromised games like indies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's really just with the big publishers in Japan too, everyone else in terms of mid size, small and indie pubs is largely onboard. It's almost exactly the issue Switch has in the west with 3rd parties, the handful of largest traditional publishers.

I'd say the big pubs in Japan are mostly better than the western ones on this though.

Oh for sure, but even the higher tiers of Japanese IPs from the biggest publishers are not nearly as technically ambitious as AAA western games, and most of them align very well with the Switch audience. It is less "justified", apart from the handful of bleeding edge franchises like Final Fantasy.

Oddly SE giving Switch a mainline FF seems more realistic than some of the smaller IPs from other JP publishers hitting Switch

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
There are some really big holes still, namely very sparse support from big Western publishers and marginally less support from Japanese publishers than you'd expect for a handheld. And the AAA games that do make it over are definitely downgraded significantly.

But I think a lot of it is just console warring and people looking for reasons to complain, as if Switch needs to satisfy them to carve out a successful place in the market.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think people who are complaining about The Witcher 3 port's looks are PC guys. They have super high standards, anything looks even a little less than the best possible is no deal for them. And I'm guessing they can't comprehend the gratitude the handheld fans have for any game in any form.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every game needs to be on switch and if it isn't then the developers must hate nintendo.

And if it isnt a perfect port it's the developers fault because look how good BOTW looks!!!!1!

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Switch has had the best third-party support for a Nintendo platform in decades, so I too don't get the complaints. If anything I see more complaints because Switch is getting so many good games.

"Switch? Why even bother, who's interested in playing (performance heavy AAA game) portably?"

"Switch version is DOA."

"Switch lulz enjoy your halved frames and dynamic resolution."

I see more of those comments than complaints of Switch not getting enough games.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think people who are complaining about The Witcher 3 port's looks are PC guys. They have super high standards, anything looks even a little less than the best possible is no deal for them. And I'm guessing they can't comprehend the gratitude the handheld fans have for any game in any form.
I think you've got kind of an inaccurate perception of what the PC gaming audience is actually like, in general. You know that most PC gamers don't have high spec machines, right? Did you notice that most of the people who mentioned the PC version of Witcher 3 in these recent Witcher threads were doing so in defense of the Switch version?

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Because people on internet forums like to complain because they have too much free time. Nintendo isn't doing themselves any favors though...

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
When people complain about third party support they mean AAA third party support and they ain't wrong, switch even lacks 1st AAA party support.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I personally didn't buy Switch for those type of games, I honestly much more interested exclusive third party games on my Switch.

Exclusive third party games don't make sense short of being Nintendo funded. The switch doesn't do anything special beyond being able to be undocked, and unless a game heavily uses touch screen controls as the main input method, there's no good reason for any switch third party game to be anything other than multiplatform.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think you've got kind of an inaccurate perception of what the PC gaming audience is actually like, in general. You know that most PC gamers don't have high spec machines, right? Did you notice that most of the people who mentioned the PC version of Witcher 3 in these recent Witcher threads were doing so in defense of the Switch version?

I was talking about that part of PC gaming scene, hardcore spec maniacs. In the gameplay reveal thread we had people saying they have monster PC's in their house to play The Witcher and they didn't understand who would want The Witcher 3 on Switch running so "bad". They don't understand who big of a "victory" for us Switch/handheld fans getting such game on a portable system.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people just feel insulted by third parties when the Nintendo console they own does not get the same support as other platformes, despite the sales.

They failed to see all the reasons behind this and keep blaming third parties.