• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Up until last year, pretty much all games were released on Tuesdays. But since then, more and more games have been releasing on Fridays. Monster Hunter World, Resident Evil 2, Nintendo's lineup, Ace Combat 7, Tales of Vesperia, Red Dead Redemption 2, Burnout Paradise Remastered, and more have, or will be released on Friday.

So what initiated this change? I'm very curious.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because you don't have to ship digital games on a Monday, and digital is big enough now. And Friday is the weekend.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have no idea why it's so common lately, but I'm glad. Especially with digital purchases, playing a bit on Thursday into Friday, getting home from work and having the weekend to dig into a game feels so much better.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Kingdom Hearts was releasing on a Friday. That way I can play it over the long weekend.

I prefer Friday releases now (well, mostly Thursday releases in Australia but we also have our dates mostly set to when it releases in the US) since I can sit back on that weekend and play the game I'm excited for rather than having to wait a few days until the weekend.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I like it since it's the weekends, but I remember when the DS era Pokemon games released on a Sunday, which was weird in hindsight unless N wanted Monday sales headlines

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So that I actually have time to play them when they release.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Question seems like it answers itself. Release on Friday and you can go straight to the store after work/school and have the whole weekend to play!

Jul 18, 2018
Social Media hyping a game during start of the weekend when majority of people will be off from work and school = big revenue push while spending less on marketing for the entire week

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I remember trying to find Nintendo's games in stores back when they launched on Sundays. Employees always told me "games don't come out on Sundays!"

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I usually have Wed and Thu off so I'm disappointed that NMH is releasing this Fri. But that's just my selfish reasoning for not liking Fri releases.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has been doing it for years. I'm glad more games are doing this, it lets me enjoy them over the weekend.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer it. While not everybody (including me) works M-F, a lot of people do and it makes a lot of sense to release it on a day that tons of people actually get to play it.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
PAL releases used to be Fridays before international release dates became more common. I'm kind of happy with them coming back. It's nice to have a completely new game for the weekend.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
All games should be released on the eve of my day off & vacation. Cancel all releases not on this schedule please.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Back when I still bought physical I fucking hated Friday releases because you were screwed if the delivery failed. At least with Tuesday there was a lot of buffer before the weekend.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
How else can they pretend you've paid for early access on a Tuesday.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I typically bought my new games on a Friday anyway, since I was a kid (we're talking Intellivision days). Awesome to have my parents take me to the mall or TRU after school on Friday, stop and get some dinner and have the rest of the evening learning how to master the latest game.

Good times.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fridays are better. And if you've had any Nintendo console then Friday releases have been happening far longer than "in the last year". People in the US typically get paid on Fridays, they have the weekend to play the games, and with the prevalence of digital there is not as much incentive to get a game out on a Tuesday. People can just buy the game on each console's dedicated shop, where they all get a bigger cut.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Games use to all launch on fridays not too long ago then they moved to Tuesdays.

Also I am having deja vu with the same topic and op Yoshi.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Didn't Nintendo have big releases on Saturday until a few years ago? Or am I misremembering?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It was usually Friday in the UK when I still lived there. Then everything went global and it was Tuesday. Personally I prefer Friday's yeah, so you have the weekend.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it because games normally get released in some regions on Fridays so if every region is Fridays, wouldn't the game get a worldwide release on the same day?

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017