• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I began Devil May Cry V tonight. I was in a cutscene in the tutorial, and my girlfriend texted. I went to pause via the options button on PS4 so I could answer the text. It skipped the cutscene. Why. Why is this still an issue in 2019. Why. Developers please. PLEASE.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yup. Already have had to rewatch some scenes on youtube because I had to go do something else throughout the day. Haven't played a game in a loooong time that straight up skipped the scene without asking.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Luckily you can go to gallery and watch individual cinematics from there but it's stupid that it happens. Especially when RE2make let you pause and skip.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There should just be a pause button on the controllers at this point.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
My wife came home while I was in the middle of an RE2 cutscene. You should have seen me wince as I pressed hamburger and hoped for the best.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda weird we still have these problems in 2019. I expect:

- Pause/Menu/Start will pause the cutscene
- Tapping any other button will do nothing
- Holding some button for about 1 second or 2 seconds will skip the cutscene

OP
OP
Dartastic

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god the void sucks too. I just tried to do table hopper. It didn't set the enemy to attack for a defensive skill. It didn't give me an example. I don't even know if I did it. Capcom makes fighting games. What the hell?!?

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when people got mad that Ducktales Remastered made you press 2 buttons to skip a cutscene

How times have changed

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Pause -> Skip scene? Yes/No existed so many years ago already. The industry should have turned this into written law, but no. We still have unskippable cutscenes, cutscenes that run in background, and unpausable cutscenes that can only be skipped altogether. It's maddening.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I was actually not sure about this, and hesitated to hit start while playing last night. Sad to hear my fears were confirmed. Unfortunate.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Should a cutscene be auto-skipped if I press "Options" or "Start" or "Escape" or anything, really? No. Lots of games offer this, but it's still nerve-wrecking to press Start because you are never sure if it's going to pause or skip your scene.

But let's keep the year out of this. "It's current year" argument never brings anything. It's an annoyance. It has always been.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Easy Allies did a segment recently where they have to pick the worst feature of a videogame and make the shittiest game ever out of them. This was one of the choices, but I can't remember what it was up against lol.
Regardless, yeah it's garbage when you can't pause them, and even worse when the home button doesn't either,. It's one of the worst videogame "don'ts" ever.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 lets you pause the cutscenes too. More devs should do the same.
I'm grateful they did, but dear god, please also put a "are you sure" prompt when you accidentally click A after pausing a cutscene. I can't remember how many times I had to go to youtube to watch a cutscene I accidentally skipped.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree SO MUCH with OP. It is beyond ridiculous that I can't pause the cutscene when someone walks in the room (in some games). The number of times I've had to say, "sorry, I can't pause this...I'll be there in a few mins"...

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Developers, listen up: Start to pause a cutscene, then hold Square to skip it if you want.

Every fucking game should function like this. It's baffling how games STILL don't allow to you even pause scenes, let alone skip them (which should always be a feature imo)

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
skip-cutscene-kingdom-hearts-3.jpg

All it takes.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I began Devil May Cry V tonight. I was in a cutscene in the tutorial, and my girlfriend texted. I went to pause via the options button on PS4 so I could answer the text. It skipped the cutscene. Why. Why is this still an issue in 2019. Why. Developers please. PLEASE.
Urgh so many games do this. It's so fucking annoying.
I try to test it out as soon as I start a game so I don't accidentally skip something later on.

Is it a technical limitation or are devs just lacking common sense?

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Yup my husband and myself have had to watch multiple cutscenes on YouTube because of this. We are loving the game (dmc5) but it's crazy how this is still a problem.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Maybe I haven't been playing enough games, but I feel like these days most games DO allow you to pause cutscenes.

I knew this was gonna be about DMCV, though. Why it doesn't allow it is beyond me, considering REmake 2 did.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
MGS4 is honestly the only game I can think of that handles this the right way. No UI during cutscenes and Start simply pauses the cutscene and enters a menu where you can choose to skip.

I'm also slightly annoyed by the constant "HOLD TO SKIP" as soon as I nudge the joystick or whatever.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This happened to me when I had to answer the door while watching the beginning cutscene and I pressed start and it skipped the first cutscene.
I assumed since RE2 let me pause that DMC would let me pause cutscenes.
Also I'm not a fan of games that keep the skip cutscene button on the screen for so long.