• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I have been thinking about it for a while now. I work in a creative medium, and all my colleagues are always excited about new aesthetics, new approaches to things. And if something comes up that they don't enjoy, they simply just move on. I don't know what it is about video games that causes such wild anger towards things.
It's something I've thought about too. It's an in-group, out-group identity thing that humans do and the "gamers" here on Era are no different. If you're posting on this forum, you're mostly likely an enthusiast or "hardcore," and in the context of video games and Era's community, that usually means you probably fall more in line with the "traditional" view of games as a $60 full experience, with heavy emphasis on console gaming.

Anytime there is some sort of industry shake up or shock to the system, the culture here almost always has some overblown response because it challenges their traditional views of what "gaming" should be. You can see in the current trend towards cloud streaming games, the rise of mobile games, free-to-play, etc.

For whatever reason, "gamers" on here are think that a change in how we play games somehow invalidates what they like about games. Which is obviously absurd considering gaming is bigger than ever and has options for everyone.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
OP just got done arguing with a friend about games through texts and didn't know how else to vent.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I train endlessly by raging at strangers online so that I, the great Ashlette, can be chosen to pass off my prime gamer DNA.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
23327.jpg

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Here I was thinking there was a game just titled Revenge. Now I'm dissapointed.

I swear i'll have my Vengeance. (Oh neat. That exists on Steam.)

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about revenge, but personally I'm still waiting for [insert game] to get a gritty, dark, mature reboot.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I love games and talking about them but can't say I've ever held onto negative feelings about any game I disliked ever, but seriously someone needs to answer for Knack. /s

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty solid TV show, even if later season episodes went a bit over the top. Especially the one where Emily banged Captain America despite the fact that he was only really interested in her grandmother.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the plot to 90% of AAA games is revenge based, so gamers are just sticking with what they know

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Because people like being on teams and bonking other things. By having exclusives, and things that are similar yet different (Battlefield and Call of Duty, or consoles in general), it's easy to cause fights. Especially if one keeps seeing something pop up in their feed over and over.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
In a more honest response, it achieves two things (this goes for fans of anything, really):

1) Justification of their own tastes by shunning others and bringing as many people into your own "in group" as possible. This makes them feel better about themselves.

2) In a bid to get more of what they like and less of what they don't. If you like something, you want more of it, and the more people you can convince what you like is good, there is a higher chance of it becoming popular. If it's popular, more will likely be made. There is also an assumption that you need to defend what you like from what you don't like, so you hate on things in the hope that they won't become more popular than what you like and take over the market. The further you can drive it into the ground, the better.

I'm not saying these are rational or even conscious thoughts most of the time. I've certainly done it myself. But I've also done my best to understand why I hate on things and those are the conclusions I've come to. It's easy to forget the idea that certain things can totally co-exist.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I agree with your sentiment, OP, but I feel as if you aiming this somewhere pretty specific and no one else knows what you're talking about lol

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Because the hobby is about competition.

I'm not into sports and competitive gaming but to me Microsofts buying spree is like if your favorite sports team have to compete against a team with expensive drafted players.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Gonna need some quotes to know what you're talking about, OP.

You've never noticed how certain people will show up in any threads about a particular game just to shit on it? I'm not talking about LTTP or review threads, I'm talking about threads about a DLC or mod months or years after the game released where they show up and post a couple paragraphs about how much they disliked it. A decent amount of effort to make sure everyone knows the game's flaws in their eyes again?

I have.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
When an enemy kills me in a game and I have a chance for revenge I take it.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think i'm still more focused on discussing stuff i like, but sometimes there's something inside me that needs to say how that specific game sucks. I wouldn't call that hate, or actively search for discussions about the game tho.

More of a Burnout 3 man myself

Lmao I got so fast to the thread just to make this joke.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I'll speak personally and honestly. It's not about revenge, I don't want to see my favorite studios suffer. I'd like to see them improve. When I buy a game and critique the experience on an internet message board, I'm not rubbing my hands together hoping to make a dev cry. It's an enthusiast message board out of like many. I paid for an experience, and there were things about that experience I didn't like or maybe thought deeply about for iteration and want to give voice to. I work in an industry where I talk directly to users about products. It's no different there, it's never personal, they're not out for revenge, they just are giving honest feedback about a thing they're experiencing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've never noticed how certain people will show up in any threads about a particular game just to shit on it? I'm not talking about LTTP or review threads, I'm talking about threads about a DLC or mod months or years after the game released where they show up and post a couple paragraphs about how much they disliked it. A decent amount of effort to make sure everyone knows the game's flaws in their eyes again?

I have.

I think this is true, but here's my take.

I hate The Last Of Us. I think it is a no good terrible bad bad game, and then I say as much at some point (hopefully in a thread where this isn't flagrantly just picking a fight).

After dropping my sizzling hot take, I get up and go have breakfast as I get ready for work. I walk my dog, have a shower, and the commute is boring. I put in the time in an office with not much to do and chat here and there with these coworkers who seem really nice and I'd like to get to know.

I come home and return to ERA, and someone has taken me up on what I posted all those hours ago. In response, I say "The Last of Us more like The Past of Us, because Naughty Dog is past its prime" and give myself a high five for my amazing capacity for zingers.

What I'm getting at is that some guy's hot take on a video game is a single instance of them filtered through online anonymity in a system that actively rewards the loudest, most outrageous attempts at getting attention, over a hobby that doesn't actually have any significant meaning to our lives. There are always exceptions (lord, there are always exceptions) but I stringently feel most people exaggerate their feelings in these cases because that's how we've been taught to talk to each other about pop culture on the internet for the past 25 years.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I never really got why that was a bad thing.

Guy does something horrible and then escapes the consequences, usually through power and affluence. That's usually how it goes. The revenge narrative only happens when the villain escapes justice.

I wanna see a movie where the hero kills the villain in revenge and then goes 'damn that felt great I'm perfectly content with things now."

Kill Bill?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a good movie but it's also like, deliberate in its hyperviolence. It ends fine but given the amorality of most of its characters I question whether it's applying that just to them or as a blanket message.

I mean like, stories where the hero has the villain dead to rights and a support cast member goes "No! Killing him will make you just like him! You have to be better than that!" and then the villain trips off a cliff or something to make sure they die with the hero's hands clean. I see this crop up sometimes in scenarios where it just seems to come right the hell out of nowhere and without meaningful impact on its cast, as if it happens because it's just supposed to be that way when the hero is about to kill the villain.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
That's a good movie but it's also like, deliberate in its hyperviolence. It ends fine but given the amorality of most of its characters I question whether it's applying that just to them or as a blanket message.

I mean like, stories where the hero has the villain dead to rights and a support cast member goes "No! Killing him will make you just like him! You have to be better than that!" and then the villain trips off a cliff or something to make sure they die with the hero's hands clean. I see this crop up sometimes in scenarios where it just seems to come right the hell out of nowhere and without meaningful impact on its cast, as if it happens because it's just supposed to be that way when the hero is about to kill the villain.

I mean, Batman in Batman Begins basically kills the bad guy and goes "dang, I even broke my own rule and I still feel great about it."

I also have a feeling that there's tons of B-movies that have the hero outright kill the villain and it's played as justice. I have a feeling the "Good guy relents in the end to not become the Nietzsche of his Nietzsche" was a plot point specifically created to "subvert expectations" and then somewhere along the line it became the cliche. I specifically remember a number of horror movies in the early 00s that subverted that subversion by having the hero look like they were going to relent and then went full bore killing the villain because it was clearly obvious that was the only way the nightmare would end.

I think it'll have it's time in the sun again; people are starting to turn on the "bad guy who did 1 million bad things does 1 good thing and now he's the coolest good guy", so i expect to see a lot of subversion of that trope where the bad guy does one good thing and the orchestra swells and deep looks are exchanged between the good guy and bad guy and then the good guy puts a bullet in the bad guy and goes "Did you think saving a puppy makes up for years of enslaving people?"

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020

I have.
People like this are insufferable and can't let go. It's true, OP is right if they mean these people. These people can't let go of a personal grudge against something.
Just sad to be honest.

Oct 29, 2017
You are experiencing negativity bias I suppose. You mostly remember the meanies and forget the other people who like what you like.

edit: except if it is Assassins' Creed. Those people heave to chill.

And here I was readying a post about how stories of revenge are one of the narratives that that are used justify a main character escalating acts of violence, and how that meshes well with a medium where you have to explain why someone kills two dozen people every level. Then it turns out this is not even about revenge, but about people being too vocal about what they dislike.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I never really got why that was a bad thing.

Guy does something horrible and then escapes the consequences, usually through power and affluence. That's usually how it goes. The revenge narrative only happens when the villain escapes justice.

I wanna see a movie where the hero kills the villain in revenge and then goes 'damn that felt great I'm perfectly content with things now."
There's plenty of popular media that ends that way. The reason that more acclaimed media takes the opposite approach is that it's more honest. The idea of revenge is far more appealing than the reality.