• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
22 and I do like edgelords but I meant they seem to be more divisive in the west
All those characters you named are very popular in the west. You're just on forums where you can hear the vocal minority.
The fact that these 'edgelord' characters seem more divisive in the West is probably because you're basing your perception of a character's popularity in the West on forums and other internet sources, whereas your perception of these characters popularity in Japan is based entirely upon popularity polls. Take MHA for example, as much as people online like to clown on Bakugo he dominates the US popularity polls as much as he does the Japanese polls.

Yup yup yup. OP just gets to hear the vocal minority and put too much stock in it.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Somebody here ages ago posted a collage of loads of usernames of people who play as Reaper in Overwatch and it was hilarious. Just a collection of 14 year old edginess.

I remember too, yeah.
HQzHEAP.jpg

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
It's easy to understand why anyone would like them really.

They just call them cool or badass instead. I'm sure the things you like have their own demeaning terms people use.

Feb 15, 2019
So that got me thinking and with edgelords do people mean the full package or like potentially only either looks or personality.

Because else I don't think there's an edgelord among the main characters in the best selling and most popular manga in Japan, One Piece.

Unless you count Trafalgar Law as one since he does have DEATH spelled on his fingers. But personality wise I wouldn't say Law's an edgelord at all.
He's actually pretty chill most of the time, openly cares a lot about his friends and sacrifices his own wellbeing quite frequently to save his friends.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
So that got me thinking and with edgelords do people mean the full package or like potentially only either looks or personality.

Because else I don't think there's an edgelord among the main characters in the best selling and most popular manga in Japan, One Piece.

Unless you count Trafalgar Law as one since he does have DEATH spelled on his fingers. But personality wise I wouldn't say Law's an edgelord at all.
He's actually pretty chill most of the time, openly cares a lot about his friends and sacrifices his own wellbeing quite frequently to save his friends.

Zoro is an edgelord

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
As others have said, edgelords are popular in any culture because deep inside, we are all emo. Still, if you want Japanese culture-specific reasons, I can think of a few:

- Expression of Japanese postwar sentiments: Rehabilitation and reconciliation are two things Japan has sought since the end of World War 2, and central to that pursuit is trauma. These edgelord characters tend to have tragic backstories (sometimes too tragic) that inform not only their personalities but also their very agency. Who can the edgelord be outside of being a descendant of his clan or member of his community, even if that community is literally extinct because the entire village was burned and everyone slaughtered? Who can he be when his identity was forcefully taken away from him?

- Dark mirror of the dumb/aimless/everyman protagonist: For all their ideological clashes, the protag and the edgelord are not so different, you and I. A crucial thing they usually share is one of these two: both of them may not be properly integrated into society or both of them have not realized their potentials. That's why the edgelord is usually just the antihero and not the main antagonist. Thematically, he can even be looked at as a second protagonist. Since you're really into Persona 5 right now, look no further than Joker-Akechi as an example of this.

- The lonely audience can vicariously live through them: Related to the previous point, the edgelord, being an angst-filled rebel, can act as a vehicle for the Japanese everyman. He can be cathartical for someone who suppresses his ego for the sake of embodying salaryman cultural ideals of loyalty, commitment, and sacrifice. And even if you're not a salaryman, there's that modern Japanese ennui and isolation that can be gleaned from Akutagawa to Murakami to Takako Takahashi. The edgelord embodies this modern phenomenon, leading the audience to sympathize with or even relate to him.

- Dark mirror of Cool Japan: One of the ways Japan has pursued to reinvent itself is through kawaii culture. That's why waifus and moe and Rei Ayanami are everlasting. That's why isekai protags and hero's journeys and darlings in the Franxx/EVA/Gundam/whatever are eternal. Japan is cute, Japan is cool. Japan wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants, and hangs out with the hottest senpais.

But Japan exists outside of anime, which means it exists within time. And because it exists within time, it changes. What does it mean for anime to still sell you waifus while Japanese female novelists explore the ? Who can the Japanese woman be outside of being a mother and wife, especially when modernity has supposedly opened ? This kind of dissonance is found in the edgelord thanks once again to his Most Tragic Backstory Ever.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
TBF, after playing P5R, I could be convinced that Atlus made Goro Akechi a parody of edgelords. His mannerisms and voice acting are so over top, at least in English, that it made me laugh every single time he spoke in the last act of the game.

I mean, come on. That's hilarious, and very endearing just because of how ridiculous he is. Although I would love if someone knew whether his Japanese audience was perceived as being deadly serious.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, are antiheroes and "edgelords" the same thing now? I would think that a character like Batman or Vegeta would be an antihero and characters like Joker or Rick Sanchez would be edgelords, no?

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is a maturity thing.

The older you get, the more you realize that the world needs more Supermen and less Batmen.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
TBF, after playing P5R, I could be convinced that Atlus made Goro Akechi a parody of edgelords. His mannerisms and voice acting are so over top, at least in English, that it made me laugh every single time he spoke in the last act of the game.

I mean, come on. That's hilarious, and very endearing just because of how ridiculous he is. Although I would love if someone knew whether his Japanese audience was perceived as being deadly serious.

Yeah he is so fun and having the time of his laugh
I love it

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
On the topic of Batman, he's not really an edgelord and the world could use folks like this:

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Compared to the West? On what grounds? As far as Im aware Americans fucking love their edgelords, -xxxSephiroth69xxx- and all

Ironic that you posted a Japanese edgelord as an example for American edgelord - but your point still stands. Edgelords are everywhere. And it's not new to our generation, not new to gaming as a medium.

Holden Caufield was an edgelord - being counter-cultural is extremely important in upbringings, it allows for diversity of thought before reality beats people into a mindless 9-5 submission.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ironic that you posted a Japanese edgelord as an example for American edgelord - but your point still stands. Edgelords are everywhere. And it's not new to our generation, not new to gaming as a medium.

Holden Caufield was an edgelord - being counter-cultural is extremely important in upbringings, it allows for diversity of thought before reality beats people into a mindless 9-5 submission.

Its not interesting, the original FF VII took place in New York, that was Japanese people trying to come up with characters and scenarios that would resonate with Americans since FF VI didnt sell all that well

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's just an anime thing. Edgelord characters are cool to people at a certain age, but as demographics get older, they lose their appeal because the edgelord archetype is only interesting the first few times you see it.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
On the topic of Batman, he's not really an edgelord and the world could use folks like this:

Batman is fighting crime because of the trauma of his parents' death. He fights in the dark because he believes that evil men can only be controlled through fear. He is very reticent to allow team members. He is cynical of everyone else's motivation. He is very sad. Also, very rich. And he spends way too much time underground.

Dude is super edgelord, especially when viewed from Frank Miller's 1980s take.

Brokofiev

Jun 20, 2019
They're popular everywhere, as others are pointing out. Adolescents want to be able to exercise control, so rebellious, edgy characters appeal to them.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Just Japan? They're pretty popular outside of Japan too lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Having watched Battle Royale for the first time recently (amazing lol), the Edgelord character(s) are definitely the best. I dunno how the general Japanese populace stack-ranks them all, though.