• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always found the effusive praise for this game to be unwarranted. It's a solid 2D platformer, but nothing about it really puts it ahead of any number of other solid 2D platformers out there (except maybe the music).

All the "GOAT" stuff is like an GAF/Era meme. I can't claim to have taken stock of every gaming forum on the internet, but it's really only here that I've seen people that head over heels in love with it.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I love Rayman Origins like there's no tomorrow, but absolutely not.
For me the WiiU version of DKTF left a sour taste. The loading times were really bad, like 30 seconds bad. The boss difficulty spikes drifted into not-fun-anymore territory for me too. I finished the Switch version and liked it much better. RO had perfect pacing and snappy load times from start to finish. DKTF has better music, but thats it. I prefer gameplay over music and visuals.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely brilliant level design, fantastic music, and just feels really good to play. Of course, it does have its flaws--co-op in the game isn't very well handled and I do think the boss fights are a bit long, but other than that it's wonderful.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Sounds like you almost already have a negative outlook on the game just because of the praise. In this case it's well deserved. It was my favorite gaming experience of 2014 and one of the very best platformers ever made. The level design, variety, difficulty, art design, and music are all perfect imo.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've talked about this before, but I don't like Tropical Freeze very much. Personal rating of 4/10. Great production values, but I don't find it fun to play at all.

NSMBU is super bland in comparison, but it's a lot more fun to play.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a phenomenal, the best dkc in fact. Good challenge, fantastic music, great level design.
Eh, I don't know if I'd agree it eclipsed Diddy's Kong Quest. That game had everything Tropical Freeze has going for it (great music, gameplay, level design, etc.) AND a really fucking awesome "theme". That's the one thing I find Tropical Freeze lacking, is a cool setting/theme. It's kind of just par-for-the-course Jungle.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
None of the Rayman games control as well as DKCTF. Simply as that.
It's not even just that. Rayman's stage theming and set pieces simply don't tell an environmental story like DK games do. The series excelled in this even back in the SNES days, but with the freedom to actually add a bunch of one-off background details and animations, the bar just got sent to the stratosphere.

A super memorable example of this in Tropical Freeze is the beginning of the Bright Savannah world: you start amid a full-blown animal carnival in Grassland Groove, then a tornado comes in Frantic Fields, and you finally get to witness the end result in Scorch 'n' Torch. It's genuinely heartbreaking, and with zero lines of dialogue.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I still have to play this game but when people talk about far superior ost compared to dk2 i really can't hold a laugh or two.
Different taste i guess.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's really damn good. I typically hate 2D platformers, and even dislike the original DKC games, but Tropical Freeze was so well crafted, so well designed, that even the most frustrating bits that killed me made me go "just one more try" every single time. It's just way too much fun.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I still have to play this game but when people talk about far superior ost compared to dk2 i really can't hold a laugh or two.
Different taste i guess.
Do they really say that, though? I've seen people say the game is better than DKC2 (I personally disagree), but as far as soundtrack, not so much.

DKC2 might have my favorite soundtrack of all time, bar none. It's just insane.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
One of the only games that kicked my ass but each time I knew it was my fault. What a wonderful game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's a fantastic platformer, but one of the only things that sets it apart from the other greats is how creative the level and world design are. Each area of the game doesn't just feel like a set of platforms, but a cohesive area that could actually exist. That's the genius and beauty of it. Everything else is A+ great from the controls to the music.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
In my opinion, Tropical Freeze is an excellent platformer; however,

1. Outside of technical prowess, it is not very ambitious and does nothing to push the genre forward in comparison with the 2D platformers of the SNES era
2. It wouldn't make Nintendo's all-time top five 2D platformers
3. Graphics aren't everything
4. The lack of online co-op is disgraceful.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I think the original reviews in 2014 undersold the game. It should have gotten strong GOTY consideration and was dismissed by many as a pretty 2D platformer.

But it was actually pretty innovative, with some of the best worlds/levels I've seen in a platfomer. On top of that its beautiful in terms of graphics and art direction and the music is beyond top notch.

The only knock on it for me in 2014 was that the challenge of the game may have locked some players out of experiencing a good part of the game. Nintendo remedied that though with the Switch release.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good. It's not the masterwork people make it out to be in part because the levels go on forever but it's worth checking out.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing Tropical Freeze on the WiiU. It's fun, but sometimes the difficulty is a little uneven.

Take Mountain Mania (2-2) for example. One of the checkpoints has DK destroying a statue that spits hot lava everywhere, which he then has to run away from.
It felt like a really odd difficulty spike. I'd be going along, thinking that I'm doing okay, but then suddenly I'd get sniped in the back by a flying rock. Also there aren't any sidekick barrels in that section, so if I take a hit and lose the rhino, I can't use the Kong Roll to recover.

I lost more lives on that section than the entirety of world 1.

It's good. It's not the masterwork people make it out to be in part because the levels go on forever but it's worth checking out.
Yeah this is annoying too.

Oh and way too many collectibles.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I don't know if I'd agree it eclipsed Diddy's Kong Quest. That game had everything Tropical Freeze has going for it (great music, gameplay, level design, etc.) AND a really fucking awesome "theme". That's the one thing I find Tropical Freeze lacking, is a cool setting/theme. It's kind of just par-for-the-course Jungle.
I mean, the ice/wintery theme is the theme.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the ice/wintery theme is the theme.
But
A) It only actually gets wintery in the last world or two and
B) That's just not nearly as cool as the stuff in Diddy's Kong Quest

I would love to see Retro make another entry where they get weird with the settings. Kong Quest had the pirate world, the carnival, the ice caves, etc. It was just awesomesauce.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
DKTF has really astounding level and sound design. The presentation is top notch and it's overflowing with clever, well-executed ideas. At the same time, it is so imprecise I have not been able to enjoy it. Hit detection is all sorts of whack. Sometimes you're struck by objects 20 pixels away from your character model. For that alone it feels horrifically overrated as a platformer. It's got a great sense of humor and it's enjoyable to watch. I've played about half the game now and just can't feel it. Celeste, N++, Meat Boy—these indie games absolutely nail precision in a way that DKTF can't. I love them. I find myself pulled toward them whenever I want to play a platformer. DKTF looks so good, and yet I find it so unfun to play.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Do they really say that, though? I've seen people say the game is better than DKC2 (I personally disagree), but as far as soundtrack, not so much.

DKC2 might have my favorite soundtrack of all time, bar none. It's just insane.
If i remember correctly there was even a poll in here (or gaf).
Something about the snes audio chip incapable of something...
I still think that the ost in dk2 is far superior to anything inside tropic freeze, but it's just me.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It has one of my favorite levels of all time... ever!

Donkey-Kong-Country-Tropical-Freeze-Review-16-960x540.jpg

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The music first of all is simply amazing and easily one of the best game soundtracks of all time.

The art and graphics are also both really nice looking.

The level design is super inspired and the game controls very well.

That about covers it.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this makes me want to get it again on Switch. I wonder if Funky Kong will make it easy enough for my kids to play. I remember the base Wii-U game being tough even for me.

I think it should. If you play in Funky Mode with Funky its much easier. There is still no protection from falls, but you get more health and Funky can land on spikes and hang in the air longer.

If you play Funky Mode with Donkey Kong, I think that pretty much replicates what would be a 'Normal' mode on most platformers (essentially just a bit more health but all the same challenges and feel).

My recommendation is let your kids play with Funky and you play with Donkey Kong in Funky mode if you were frustrated by the challenge of the first.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The new Dkc games bother me for the movement. Feels far too weighty and heavy compared to the originals.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
So in the days leading up to NSMB and and in the review threads I kept on reading all this praise for DKTF.

You guys even claim it has good water levels!?

Is it really that good? I mean yeah the reviews are good, but the reviews for any Nintendo game are usually good, it doesn't make the game amazing.
But the the way everyone is talking about it sounds like it's legit one of the if not the GOAT platformers.

So what's so good?

It is a pretty damn good game, with an stellar soundtrack. The praise is more than deserved.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

Psh. This is the only platformer where I'm disappointed to reach the end. Every level is a delightful, gorgeous splendor that feels as fun to play as it is beautiful to look at and listen to.

It's more than earned its place as one of the best platformers ever made.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason the phrase "GOAT" gets thrown around with it. For me it rivals/competes with Mario 3 and Mario World. It's in the conversation.

^^^regarding the post above I have to agree. The levels are maybe a bit longer than other platformers but because everything is so well done you don't really want them to end.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's one of the best 2D platformers of all time, I guess is the main thrust of the praise

GOAT-tier controls. the weight and heft of controlling DK is so satisfying. the roll jump may be one of the most satisfying moves in any platformer. it actually plays better with the analog stick, which is wild. it actually has satisfying underwater controls, thanks to the analog stick, which is also wild. you go from feeling like you're controlling a big block of concrete to feeling like you're controlling Sonic once you've built momentum.

GOAT-tier OST. David Wise unshackled from the restraints of a sound chip. quantity. quality. many different genres. varied instrumentation to match each world. great individual performances. great compositions that subtly build during their run time. happy. sad. industrial. somber. funky. rollicking. all the adjectives. all of them.

GOAT-tier world design. World 2 and 5 are among the best platformer worlds of all time. the progression is amazing, each level plays a part in the overall narrative of the world. the way you ascend the mountain in World 2, the way that's conveyed in the levels and on the world map, the way each level picks up where the previous left off. same with World 5 though instead of ascending a mountain you're going through a factory that's whole purpose is to make popsicles for a polar bear. just great stuff.

GOAT-tier level design. so many great levels (legitimately almost every single one of them), so many great gimmicks, so many instances where those gimmicks blend together in a level creating some really nice and varied platforming segments, the way those gimmicks tie into the theme of the level and world making them easy to understand, and also how each level is perfectly tuned for slow paced exploration heavy playthroughs as well as speed runs.

the game feels like it was made in an alternate timeline where AAA gaming never moved away from 2D platformers

it's simply masterful

so yeah, I think that's about where the praise comes from

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I think it should. If you play in Funky Mode with Funky its much easier. There is still no protection from falls, but you get more health and Funky can land on spikes and hang in the air longer.

If you play Funky Mode with Donkey Kong, I think that pretty much replicates what would be a 'Normal' mode on most platformers (essentially just a bit more health but all the same challenges and feel).

My recommendation is let your kids play with Funky and you play with Donkey Kong in Funky mode if you were frustrated by the challenge of the first.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't really frustrated by the first. I think a boss fight and rocket section got me pissed but overall I loved every minute of the game. I think I'll pick it up.

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a good, solid game.

Personally, I don't like worlds 4 and 5 nor the boss battles.

I don't understand how Retro fucked up the bonus rooms so much in the Returns games. In DKC2, they were unique and related to the level you were playing AND they unlocked a cool new world, now they are generic (even repeating sometimes) and just unlock artwork.

Rayman Legends and NSMBU were better platformers last-gen.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It has some of the most smoothest controls in a 2D platformer and the underwater levels are very fluid and forgiving. You can make some right turns underwater.

Add in the great aquatic ambience music that plays in the background and that enhances the water levels.

The game is a marriage of good level design, fun bosses and great music in a colorful art style.

And the game stays fresh by having different abilities based on your partners.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its the best 2D platformer ever, that was overlooked on the WiiU and are overly praised by people who actually played it.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like either of the DKCR games as much as the DKC games on SNES. Both felt very boring and plain and at times frustrating. The original DKC games were way more fun to play and explore. I guess the DKCR games are just missing something that Rare had with the originals.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game with amazing music. People on here do overhype it abit though.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Clever mechanics that are used in genius combinations and contextualized brilliantly. It's the GOAT 2D platformer.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
So in the days leading up to NSMB and and in the review threads I kept on reading all this praise for DKTF.

You guys even claim it has good water levels!?

Is it really that good? I mean yeah the reviews are good, but the reviews for any Nintendo game are usually good, it doesn't make the game amazing.
But the the way everyone is talking about it sounds like it's legit one of the if not the GOAT platformers.

So what's so good?
Just play it...

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the best 2D platformer.

And I actively dislike most 2D platformers.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
It is a bummer that every island is standalone. I wish more games would take the DKC2 / Sonic 3&K approach of making the whole game feel like one big adventure.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's come a long way since the olden days. I quite enjoy his new content, especially the FFVII stuff.

video games forever

Even though I loved his work on Action Button dot net i agree that he has come a long way.

He is a much better writer now that he has embraced the fact that he is a professional games writer rather than a mere hobbyist writer. Some of his reviews, like the ones for the recent musous, show a strong desire for him to understand and appreciate the appeal of genres he previously only ever derided. His criticisms always feel valid to me and often touch on things other reviewers don't, at least in a way that is easier to comprehend. I appreciate his angle on game design as a reviewer who has actually worked on a lot of games, especially stuff like how games grant feedback, impart information and the psychology of UI.

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
The lesson I'm learning with this thread is that one should make the least effort possible when making a thread to encourage the most discussion. Thanks, ERA! Will do!

(Read some reviews or play the game....)