• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Probably the best 2D platformer ever made

I'm convinced that the only reason it did not get better reviews was because of angry Metroid Prime fans.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I got it on switch, but it's very overhyped imho. My daughter and her friends love it though.
I think I played 2 islands before stopping.

The SNES donkey kong country is the real gem! :)

Edit: it's not a bad game by any means but it hold nothing on the original

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its much, much better than returns

The music is godly the graphics look crisp and detsiled and the level design is creative
However i will never like how DK feels so floaty, i don't think it fits Donkey Kong at all if he feels light and weak as a feather

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Because it's an absolutely fantastic platformer that is well designed and challenging with a phenomenal ost to boot. The control, flow and movement of Donkey Kong is perfection.

H4zeVentura

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2018
It's one of the best Jump'n Runs of the last few years, almost everything is on Point, just the Boss battles suck

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority that actually prefers Returns, but regardless, these are my two favorite 2D platformers of all time. They are challenging and fun, with excellent world themes and level design, and fabulous music (especially in the case of Tropical Freeze).

Nov 13, 2017
Tbh Era hyped this game up so much. I regret purchasing it. It isn't that much fun to me. Too many death traps and the boss battles are way too long.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Best 2D platformer ever, hands down. It's so good that it makes a good chunk of the platformers I've player feel static and lifeless in comparison. Each level tells a story, and they environments are brimming with dynamic platforms and memorable setpiece moments The roll jump is a delicious, weighty dodge offset-esque mechanic to separate novice players from those which are more experienced. And the OST is maybe just the best ever. Only issue is that the bosses really aren't great, and there's an over abundance of optional (though still bland) bonus rooms, but you gotta take the good with the bad.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Music, gameplay, level design, challenge, controls.

The game is perfect.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing it and returns, i didnt like either of them and think they are not as good as any of the Donkey Kong country games.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
'Cause it's fucking good mate. Like really, really fucking good. The visuals, OST and sound design are instant classics. The tightness of the mechanics and the absolute mastery of momentum and flow in level design.

I played the shit out of this on Wii U and I really gotta get it for Switch eventually. But for someone who got the game for 45 euros at launch on the Wii U, the game's current digital price is tough to swallow.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if I can pick between TF and DKC2. DKC2 is a great game and a lot of what it does appeals to me a lot in a way neither of the Returns games do (I like the unique playable Kongs and the animal buddies).

So they're both really good, and can coexist as such in my mind. No need to rank 'em.

I love Tim Rogers

You lose

He's come a long way since the olden days. I quite enjoy his new content, especially the FFVII stuff.

video games forever

Deleted member 29354

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Accessibility, music *variety*--not just quality, re-playability, and awesome level designs. Seriously, it a tightly tuned platformer with plenty to offer in terms of challenge and secrets. The water levels rank among the best here owing to the tight control scheme and sense of weight between all the characters' movesets. Mine cart and rocket riding levels have never been more hectic and fun!

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Amazing game. The only problems that it had were the lack of humor and bad enemies design. The enemies are great to play against but their drawings are so forgetable.

The simple fact people kept asking for kaptin k rol on Smash is a proof that no one remembers the enemies from Tropical Freeze.

Another problem with the game that older players point out is the fact that you can`t normally play with diddy and the other characters. Just after finishing the game you can play with them but they only have 1 heart. This used to bother me but I have come to accpet this was a design choice by the developers. It`s not the same gameplay as SNES games.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Because it's amazing. Go play it. You owe it to yourself. Best 2D platformer of the past decade, easily.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
So in the days leading up to NSMB and and in the review threads I kept on reading all this praise for DKTF.

You guys even claim it has good water levels!?

Is it really that good? I mean yeah the reviews are good, but the reviews for any Nintendo game are usually good, it doesn't make the game amazing.
But the the way everyone is talking about it sounds like it's legit one of the if not the GOAT platformers.

So what's so good?
It's a $20-30 game to me. The WiiU version had bad load times and huge difficulty spikes that the Switch version remedied.

It's a good platformer because it has:
-Good music
-Tight controls
-Great level design. Each level is totally distinct, with several unique platforming ideas per level. The levels also tell a story as you progress through them.

NSMB games feel very samey level to level with average music and art direction. If you are looking for a platformer, DKTF is by far the best one to get. Kirby is junk. NSMB is a kids game. I still wouldn't pay more than $30 for any of these. DKTF can be finished in 4-6 hours with not much incentive to find all the secrets. Gamefly is your friend.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I thought it was fine. Kinda forgettable. I vaguely remember the music being okay and the bosses (the final one in particular) being bullshit.

This is coming from someone who general doesn't care for 2D platformers anyway, so grain of salt and all that. One of the few games I consider perfect (Super Meat Boy) wouldn't even come close to cracking my "favorite games of all time list" because it's part of a genre that I find unfulfilling.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every single platform in the game is placed to make it entirely possible to play any level as efficiently as possible. Nothing feels unfair or cheap.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's simple, the platforming and level design is just excellent.

the feel of platforming here is just so good, it's super precise, great weight to the characters, it's just a joy to control. and level design is just fantastic. the game never gets comfortable with itself to reuse ideas, it constantly throws new ideas at you.

oh and the soundtrack is 10/10.

No that would be Rayman Origins.
i'm a huge fan of the 2D rayman games, but DKTF is on another level. both should be played by every fan of the genre tho.

Oct 26, 2017
I think it sets out what it wants to do perfectly but this consists of decisions i dont look for in a "perfect 2d platformer". Since it launched I've wanted to love this so much but it remains my least favorite platformer from a big name developer.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
It's good but overpraised around here. You really have to appreciate the forced run&jump design and levels designed around linear set-pieces. I'm not a fan of this formula, there's basically only one main way to complete each level.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yes, it is good, I finished it and sold it because Nintendo games retain value and I have no intention of building a collection of games on the Switch, but it is 100% a solid platformer, one of the best I've ever played.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
It's funny to see it now considering how awful and embarrassing reception of the announcement that Retro was working on it.
I rank DKC2 among my all-time favorites, and that was my first E3 as a Wii U owner, so I was supremely stoked when they revealed Tropical Freeze. I then went to the Nintendo Life forums to share my excitement... and yeah, all of the vitriol seemed to come out of nowhere. I just couldn't get it.

And by that time the WiiU was already shaping up to be an immense failure, so suffice it to say that those were depressing times.

Game turned out to be one of the best platformers of all time, however, so the joke was on them.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Don't play it as a 2 player game. It's broken.

As a one player game, it's fantastic. But I still put Rayman Origins/Legends ahead of it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not as into the game as a lot of other people, mainly because of Donkey Kong's movement and controls, but there's a lot to love about the game, from the visuals to the music to the level design. It's all really really good. Try checking out some reviews or gameplay videos on YouTube to see how it is, at least