• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like the 8bitdo adapter controller. I think at holidays or next year I will grab their newest controller, but I think it would be nicer if it could work on PS4 too.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think their best controller is the M30, and I like the SN30Pro+ I have now too, but other than that I think their controllers that I've used are pieces of shit with unacceptable d-pads (I'd only tried in the NES30 and the SN30 before).

Hopefully they're just better now, since the M30 and SN30Pro+ have great dpads and they say they're improving with each new one, but other than the older models "looking good," I had just written them off as "junk" until I saw many people say that the dpad on the M30 and SN30Pro+ were actually good.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought one of the dongles with the intention to use it on my Switch so I could use any controller I wanted but I found it works great if not better on my PC than my motherboards Bluetooth where controllers would constantly lose signal or I had to have software running to get them to work. With the dongle, I just attach whatever controller to it and it works every time I boot up my PC.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Their controllers are just as good as first party Nintendo controllers for the most part. Anyone who grew up in a madcatz era would love 8bitdo.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Great controllers and accesories.
Have the "dongle" that allows to use any controller on Switch and the other one were you can plug any wired Wii or GCN controller and turn it wireless on Switch.

Using the SNES classic controllers on Switch that way.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I keep hearing people mention them on podcasts and wario64's prime lighting deals on their controllers sell out quick, is there something about them I'm missing? I had no idea there was such a big market for third party controllers, what's their popularity all about??

Do you have any idea how hard is (was) to find a quality non-crazy third party controller?

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I like the 8bitdo adapter controller. I think at holidays or next year I will grab their newest controller, but I think it would be nicer if it could work on PS4 too.
Yeah, PS4 support would really sell it for me since that's my main console besides my Switch. It'd be nice to use one controller for everything. I assume that's more on Sony than 8BitDo though.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I bought one and I didn't like the D-Pad and it had some wireless input lag. :/

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
I guess I'll have to give this another try. I was an early adopter of the NES and SNES controllers and the DPads were garbage. Also the button mapping was terrible at the onset, but I know they fixed that after a backlash.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They make high quality, wireless versions of the classic controllers we grew up using. It's pretty obvious why they're popular.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I dont understand their popularity either. I bought their snes controller and while it looks pretty good, the dpad was not accurate at all. The diagonals were messed up. I had 2 and they both had the same issue. Apparently the pro plus does not fix it.

I heard good things about their genesis controller though. I have yet to try one.

I guess the appeal is mostly the wireless part. And most people who buy them dont use them for long enough to realize they are not that good. I tried to finish some games with mines and that's when I realized how shitty the dpads were. Espcially rpgs that use 8 way movement. I hope they fix it someday.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I can't imagine playing Switch without the SN30pro+. It's the SNES and Dualshock controllers beautiful love child with good battery life. D-pad is great on this model. I'm gonna have to start using it for Steam too instead of DS4.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen so many conflicting reports on the quality of the various 8BitDo controllers that I don't know what do believe anymore. Some say they're great, others say the dpad's are crap.
I could really use a good dpad for playing retro games but at this rate I'm thinking I might just go for the official SNES online controllers from Nintendo.
It really depends on what you want to play and which model interests you. I own a SN30 pro, a M30 and a FC30 pro. The quality of their dpads varies a lot.

A lot of their controllers before the M30 and the Pro+ used to have very imprecise diagonals, which were unnoticeable if you were playing, say a shmup, but would be very apparent if if was making inputs in a fighting game.

I don't know what you are looking for, but I can safely vouch for the M30's quality. It has the best dpad I've ever touched this generation and it's my fightpad of choice if I don't want to carry my stick around with me to locals.

Needham

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed they have a do it yourself Saturn kit up on the site now. Has anyone tried this out? Really curious what the button mapping for the Switch would be. Can't find any info about this on their site. There's no select button on the Saturn controller, and down + select has been their home button shortcut. I imagine it's the same as the M30, but with no select button.

As for general 8bitdo quality. I've tried plenty of their SNES controllers, and I've always had issues with my controls getting stuck pushing diagonals when sliding my thumb from down to right. Made playing shmups a real terror. The do it yourself SNES Classic Controller kit doesn't give me this problem and has been generally pretty good. I haven't tried out the new SN30Pro that has supposedly fixed this issue.

The M30 on the other hand is a fantastic controller. Not as comfortable to me as a Saturn controller, but still great. I hate the Switch button mapping on it though, so unless the game has complete button remapping I don't like using it. I wish ABXY were on the CBZY buttons and ZL and ZR were on A and X, but there's no button mapping for that. Perfectly fine on PC though since I can remap everything.

EDIT
Oh, about the Saturn DIY kit. Looks like down + start is the home menu now, and up + start is select. I guess, good luck if you need to push start and select at the same time.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine playing Switch without the SN30pro+. It's the SNES and Dualshock controllers beautiful love child with good battery life. D-pad is great on this model. I'm gonna have to start using it for Steam too instead of DS4.
Yep, I feel the same. The only thing I wish is that the Select/Start buttons were a little spread apart so that I could reach them better with my thumbs.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I was never happy with the dpad and wireless lag on the SF30, so it was a big disappointment. I hope some day they revisit this.

The M30 meanwhile is amazing, without lag or dpad problems, and fantastic support for Switch. It even has some clever joypad reconfiguration stuff.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

Yeah I was wondering too. Would also see the name come up but never bothered looking into it.

Guess I'll be getting a Sn30 Pro+ once I get a Switch. :)

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I really wish it were possible to remotely power up the Switch with the 8bitdo M30.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Their wireless retro receiver for the SNES is excellent, I think. But until talk about their D-pads with bad diagonals ends (wich seems to happen at random, some controllers have the issue, some of the same model dont), I would never buy a controller from them.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
They make pretty good stuff, the m30 is sublime.

That said the SF30/SN30 was terribly overrated as it had a rubbish d-pad. I used their DIY kit to convert an SNES classic controller and it was much better.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The dpads on the 8bitdo SN30s are garbage. 8bitdo present their controllers as high-end boutique products for more dedicated players, which probably attracts a lot of people, and I get the sense a lot of people will just put up with bad dpads. I've tried the SN30 Pro and SN30 Pro Plus controllers and returned them both. I won't try a third time.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
How exactly is this pronounced because just looking at the name makes my head hurt
Look at their original logo

8bitdo.png

It's a straight riff on 'Nintendo', racetrack and all. So it's pronounced to rhyme with Nin-ten-do. All their original products were Nintendo based too.

This has changed now, as have their complete Nintendo ripoff designs (their SNES controller has been visually redesigned) no doubt once they got big enough Nintendo sent them a couple of lawyer letters.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I bought one of their SNES controllers (with the Famicom colors) with the tiny analog sticks about 3 or 4 years ago and I was pretty let down by it.

Buttons felt bad, sticks were on-par with the Vita's (not great, but functional), and the Bluetooth connection was laggy with my Android phone at the time (may be partially the phones fault, but I'm pretty sure I tried a nicer Steelseries Bluetooth controller and it had much less lag.

I can only hope their quality has improved since I cotinue to hear good things about them, but they haven't made anything I particularly want to try.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to purchase a SN30 Pro +, but I 98.9% play Handheld. I would want a Switch clip for the controller before jumping in. It's super tempting though! I want a "universal" gaming controller that isn't my DS4.

Has anyone used the SN30 Pro + w/ DS4 emulation for Remote Play?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Look at their original logo

8bitdo.png

It's a straight riff on 'Nintendo', racetrack and all. So it's pronounced to rhyme with Nin-ten-do. All their original products were Nintendo based too.

This has changed now, as have their complete Nintendo ripoff designs (their SNES controller has been visually redesigned) no doubt once they got big enough Nintendo sent them a couple of lawyer letters.
This is how and why I say it and I refuse to say it "the other way," lol.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Realt great controllers and adapters. Except for their new N30 controller. Had to return it because the sharp edges on the d-pad actually hurt to use after a while.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just ordered an snes pro+.

Specifically the Gameboy themed one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i love their dongle for switch. i don't play on the TV often to want to get a pro controller, and when i do i just connect my DS4 now using the dongle.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They make good stuff. I own their adapter and it's flawless. I can plug it in between my PC, Switch and Pi and use a Wii Remote(any controller attached works), Wii U Pro or a DS4 depending on the games I play.

I sound like a review but I'm just saying they make quality useful stuff which is why they're popular.

I also want that new controller as it looks perfect for me, but I just can't justify it with all the other controllers I own lol.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
i have the m30 and sn30 pro+ and i've been blown away at how great these pads are, especially the dpad. looking forward to a potential m30 pro+ down the line as that'd be the perfect retro controller

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I carry a pair of M30s with my Switch for everywhere vs fighting. Great d-pad. Would like a sn30 pro + but the bigger form factor doesn't suit my lifestyle. Wish they'd revise their previous models with their new improved d-pad.

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
Now that the SNES is available on the Switch, I'm considering the SF30. It seems potentially better than the SNES controller Nintendo is releasing. I like the idea of analog sticks and home/screenshot buttons. I guess we don't know for sure since it isn't yet out. Any 8bit owners thinking of ditching theirs for the official one?
Is the rumble on these bad? And loud?

What's up with analog stick rubber falling apart? Is this problem common or is it just an Amazon review bias from early builds?
Requoting for help. Additionally, any idea what the "Coming soon" controllers could be?

Also, for how popular these things are, 8bitdo's website is really, really bad. It's embarrassing.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
My SF30 Pro (not-+) had issues with the d-pad when I got it, but I opened it up and did a tape mod and it's been perfect since. Been great for playing SNES games on Switch.
Tape mod?

I have two of the older ones and I dig the design but the roads are too stiff. I wish I could loosen them up.

Also, for the adapters, I'm assuming you need one for each controller you want to use rather than using one adapter and having it work for multiple controllers at the same time?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Basically, to alleviate the accidental-diagonals issue a few people have mentioned in this thread, you can put non-conductive tape on the PCB's d-pad sensors to prevent them from getting activated by mistake. there's a few different ways to arrange the tape and i honestly forget what method i landed on as working the best, i just remember doing a lot of hadokens in snes SFII until i felt comfortable it was registering diagonals reliably and precisely haha

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I have two and love them.

Love my old SNES30 even more because I found out they did a firmware update to make it work with switch.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I bought a NES30 Pro controller a couple years ago because of all the praise and it's okay. Nothing amazing. Maybe they've improved with their newer products.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I like my SF30 pro, but the Input lag is really weird and inconsistent.
There have been Firmware updates that say that they fix it but the lag still persists.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Is the SN30 Pro Plus generally considered better than the Pro controller? These joycons aren't cutting it and the Pro controller has a shaky rep.

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
So, the consensus would be that the M30 is better than the SF30 pro / SN30 pro for playing platformers/retro games in the Switch? I'm looking for an extra controller and the price is really tempting.

Jignx

Apr 6, 2018
Does anyone have any experience using the new SN30 pro plus on modern games like FPS shooters?
I want to get one but if it could handle well on games like that I'll buy it ASAP for PC gaming.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any experience using the new SN30 pro plus on modern games like FPS shooters?
I want to get one but if it could handle well on games like that I'll buy it ASAP for PC gaming.
Daemon X Machina was fine for me on Switch, and it's been working great for FFXIV on PC for me even if that isn't quite the kind of game you're thinking of. The travel distance for the sticks doesn't feel as good as the Pro Controller but it's still a damn sigh better than the Joy Cons.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Is the SF30 Pro that bad? I was thinking about getting one just to have something with Nintendo-formatted buttons that isn't $70. I don't don't really care about the grips or other extra stuff that comes with the Pro+.