• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
My first 8BitDo Controller is their newest one, the Sn30 Pro+, and it's amazing, that's why.

It's a dream controller for 2D games on Switch and PC.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I'd get myself one of these, it's just that I've heard a lot of issues that crop up. My brother has one but refrains from using it because of d-pad, sync connectivity and lag issues.

Though, that SN30Pro+ looks mighty nice.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Their earliest controllers had D-pad issues, but the lastest SN30 Pro Plus controller has a perfect D-Pad as CesareNorrez mentioned. It's the best controller available for the Switch, IMO. Even better than Nintendo's official Pro controller

I have the Pro Plus. It's incredible. The best gamepad I've used, hands down.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love their products and never had any issues. It's kinda strange to see how much hate they get sometimes.

Probably the best 3rd party controller company since what? Logitech?

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I havent been paying attention to this at all, is the megadrive digital pad as good as the saturn one? Mine is in need of a replacement.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Never bought their controllers. Whenever I'm about to pull the trigger on one, something feels off about them.

Their adapters though are top notch. The retro receiver is an absolute must for the NES/SNES Classic. The GBros. adapter for Switch is just as good.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Their Switch Adapters are some of the best thing a switch owner can buy if they owned a wiiu or owns a ps4
ridiculously cheaper and you can use basically every controller after the ps2 era on the switch

The mayflash one is just as good (the main difference is the design of the adapter) but this is an 8bitdo thread so =P

Do any of the SNES-style 8bitdo controllers for Switch have a Capture button built in? I want to be able to take screenshots and videos with it as I play.

The SN Pro ones not only have screenshot but they have home, L2 behind L1 and motion controls so it is basically a cheap pro controller without amiibo reading and hd rumble (but with regular rumble)

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
My Sn30 Pro that I bought last year has a battery that just recently crapped out on me, but aside from that the overall quality of the controller felt fantastic. It pretty much felt as good as the original SNES controller if you slapped two thumb sticks and shoulder triggers on it. I'm pretty bummed that it died on me so quickly.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
While they aren't perfect, they look incredible are are an incredible value for the price of them. I feel like the buttons are a tad too stiff but it's not terrible. I use mine all the time.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sn30 Pro+ pre-order, looks like a great controller and I've heard great things (even aside from this thread). Price is much more reasonable than I was expecting.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
This is such a weird thing to be confounded by.

*Console maker produces questionable controllers*
*people buy higher quality alternatives*

"But WHYYYYYYYY?"

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I've been using the SN30 Pro+ for about a week now (the grey gameboy coloured one) and it's got a really nice D-pad which is a joy after using the reg pro controller for so long.

Only complaints are that the rumble feels super weak almost to the point that I forget it even has it at times and I also wish it could power on the console from sleep. Otherwise it's super solid and looks great.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My personal hot take: playing retro games with their native controlers (or facsimiles like the 8BitDo stuff) is HIGHLY overrated. I'll take the ergonomics and configurability of my Xbox Elite controller (which works amazing for 2D and 3D control alike) over something more "authentic" any day of the week. I give credit to those early controller designs where it is due for their innovations to the form, but they've been surpassed in every single way possible by modern controllers.
I'd agree if the d-pads were decent. That's all I want here.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I've been using the SN30 Pro+ for about a week now (the grey gameboy coloured one) and it's got a really nice D-pad which is a joy after using the reg pro controller for so long.

Only complaints are that the rumble feels super weak almost to the point that I forget it even has it at times and I also wish it could power on the console from sleep. Otherwise it's super solid and looks great.
How are the ridges on the d-pad on the gameboy one? I love the aesthetic of that controller, but I feel like they could be annoying if they're too pronounced. Can't decide between that and the SNES one.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
How are the ridges on the d-pad on the gameboy one? I love the aesthetic of that controller, but I feel like they could be annoying if they're too pronounced. Can't decide between that and the SNES one.

I was a little concerned about that too as I'd heard mixed things doing my research beforehand. But honestly I feel like it's less pronounced than I thought and it feels just fine to me. The arrow ridge indentations on the snes pads I have lying around feel more noticeable to me then the G Classic Pro.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
How's the compatibility for something like the SN30 pro+ on windows? Does it get picked up by steam/most modern games? I was thinking of buying a dualshock 4 to be my new controller on PC, i don't own a PS4 so it would be just for that purpose. Am wondering if the SN30 might be a better option.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My SF30 Pro (not-+) had issues with the d-pad when I got it, but I opened it up and did a tape mod and it's been perfect since. Been great for playing SNES games on Switch.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Also their Genesis controller is the only 6-button one that'll work with the Genesis/Mega Drive mini in the west

Is this confirmed? I've been asking around and nobody seems to know for sure that it'll work right out of the box. I've been hoping to have their wireless controller arrive with the Genesis Mini at the same day.

Oct 25, 2017
How's the compatibility for something like the SN30 pro+ on windows? Does it get picked up by steam/most modern games? I was thinking of buying a dualshock 4 to be my new controller on PC, i don't own a PS4 so it would be just for that purpose. Am wondering if the SN30 might be a better option.

The SN30 pro+ just acts like an Xbox controller because it's using Xinput, it works perfectly.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
SN30 Pro+ is my new favorite controller, only behind the Xbone Elite. It's miles ahead of PS4 and Switch Pro controllers.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I own their NES and SNES controllers, and bought their Bluetooth adapters for my original NES and SNES. They work incredibly well, without any noticeable lag. The "Y" button on my SNES controller is a little bit sticky, but it hasn't affected my playthroughs so far.

8bitdo-nes30-gamepad-469749.8.jpg

41L2zOaVA-L._SX342_.jpg

I have the same ones and I play my classic consoles x10 more because no more stupid cords. Zero input lag and the dpads are PERFECT.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
We live in an era where Sony's split d-pad design on the PS4, a massive step down from the Vita d-pad itself, is the best d-pad on current hardware. The fact that Nintendo is complicit with this is what I can only describe as an ethical black mark on them as a company.

And this is why someone who delivers a solid d-pad option that is compatible with basically everything has found more than just a small niche in the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Or is the market for mfi controllers way bigger than i thought?

Actually, 8bitdo controllers are not mfi compatible unfortunately.

I got into them because I love the SNES pad form factor and they made a quality one that works with pretty much everything (except iOS). Since I am a bit of a controller aficionado I've since picked up like six more of their products.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I've seen so many conflicting reports on the quality of the various 8BitDo controllers that I don't know what do believe anymore. Some say they're great, others say the dpad's are crap.
I could really use a good dpad for playing retro games but at this rate I'm thinking I might just go for the official SNES online controllers from Nintendo.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Spawnwave did a tear down of the latest the Pro+, which just came out in August, and the d-pad's sensors are basically a copy of SNES ones. It's no longer mediocre, it's a legit great d-pad. The grips make the controller super comfortable (basically fat GameCube grips) and it has software where you can change button inputs (including analog sticks and trigger sensitivity). There's a reason this latest controller is getting a lot attention.
I hear this every time a new 8bitdo comes out and I'm skeptical.

Looking at the video, the PCB looks like the same flawed design with simple circles as my NES30 and my SN30. NOT like the SNES dpad.

I've been disappointed by both of my 8bitdos. Modding the dpad with non-conductive tape got it a lot better, but not perfect.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I have the same ones and I play my classic consoles x10 more because no more stupid cords. Zero input lag and the dpads are PERFECT.
I don't see how anyone can say this. The NES30 and SN30 dpad are both terrible about false positive inputs on diagonals. Try some Contra and switching between ducking and diagonal-down shooting. It is like fucking impossible. Performance on other games varies widely depending on how much a stray down-diag or up-diag will affect the game, but it matters.

And "zero input lag" is sheer nonsense. All BT implementations have lag. Even raw 2.4ghz (without the protocol weaknesses of BT) has *some* lag.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how anyone can say this. The NES30 and SN30 dpad are both terrible about false positive inputs on diagonals. Try some Contra and switching between ducking and diagonal-down shooting. It is like fucking impossible. Performance on other games varies widely depending on how much a stray down-diag or up-diag will affect the game, but it matters.

And "zero input lag" is sheer nonsense. All BT implementations have lag. Even raw 2.4ghz (without the protocol weaknesses of BT) has *some* lag.

I grew up on NES and Contra is my favourite NES game. You can be sure that I've played many many hours of contra. :) Works perfectly fine with the NES30, even switching between the two, wired originals and the NES30.

I am extremely sensitive to input lag and the very FIRST game I tested with the SN30 was Street Fighter 2 Turbo, seeing if I could do a dragon punch. Absolutely perfect. I loved it so much I bought the NES30.

I obviously can't speak to your specific set up, but perhaps you have some wireless interference around there?

As for the diagonals, I will admit I bought the first generation SN30 years ago went it first came out and took it back after only a day as the diagonals were clearly defective. The one I bought this year has been nothing short of perfection.

I am now waiting for the SN30 Pro + to get back in stock to pick one of those up.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
They make excellent quality retro-inspired and sometimes clone controllers. The M30 (genesis 6 button controller with shoulder buttons) is my go-to for any 2D sidescrolling or otherwise type of game. Huge fan of their products.

The dpad is terrible on mine. Really disappointed. I think it cost 30 or 40 dollars, and my 15 dollar wired iBuffalo pad pulls of street fighter moves with ease while the Do can't do it (heh, pun)

in my opinion it's a broken product and noone should purchase.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
They make arguably the best Switch controller. You can also take their controllers and use them on a PS4 with a special adapter. In essence, they deserve more credibility than anyone here would give them.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Hmmm, it doesn't seem like the pro+ has made it to Brazil yet. I can find the regular sn30 pro very easily on secondhand market sites and online hardware stores for about the same price as a dualshock 4, but the only pro+ I found in our equivalent of ebay is likely imported, because it's ridiculously overpriced (like 4 times the price of what the regular pro goes for). It's a shame but I will keep an eye out.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
They had it on stock at amazon.ca twice. I'm not sure if I wanna pick it up or not and always end up going out of stock twice, the stock being sent to amazon ware house are probably not a lot since they go out of stock in a few hours to like a day or so.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Switch Pro controller owner here. I own the original SF30 Pro which I don't really like all that much. I mean without the longer handles it can be cumbersome to use the analogs. I mainly got the SF30 Pro for my SNES Classic. Picking up the SN30 Pro+ was a revelation. It is by far superior to the original SN/SF30 Pro.

I think the SN30 Pro+ is more comfortable to hold as it's not as chunky/thick as the Switch Pro controller. The back is much narrower and thin, much like how the SNES controller is also thinner. The D-Pad on the SN30 Pro+ one of the best I've ever used, especially compared to the Switch Pro Controller (I play input sensitive games like STGs (Gradius, R-Type), and Fighting games (SNK Archives, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle)

In fact the last time I've ever used a D-PAD this good is either USB modded Saturn 6 button controllers, or the asciiPad SG-6, which was my go-to for Street Fighter II on the Genesis.

Also for platformers like Gunlord X, Blazing Chrome, Bloodstained COTM, Oniken, The Messenger, and Odallus, I find the SN30 Pro+ to be much more precise.

I am very sensitive to input lag. As I said, STGs / Shmups are one of the main genres I play. Especially Mushihimesama, Crimzon Clover, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label on Steam, as well as Mame stuff. I've gotten FAR better runs using my SN30 Pro+ over any other controller I've used on my PC for Steam.

In fact I find the controller so good, I'm considering getting a second one just for player two when my friends want to play co-op in Streets of Rage Remake and other co-op stuff, like the Capcom Beat'em Up bundle.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I grew up on NES and Contra is my favourite NES game. You can be sure that I've played many many hours of contra. :) Works perfectly fine with the NES30, even switching between the two, wired originals and the NES30.

I am extremely sensitive to input lag and the very FIRST game I tested with the SN30 was Street Fighter 2 Turbo, seeing if I could do a dragon punch. Absolutely perfect. I loved it so much I bought the NES30.

I obviously can't speak to your specific set up, but perhaps you have some wireless interference around there?

As for the diagonals, I will admit I bought the first generation SN30 years ago went it first came out and took it back after only a day as the diagonals were clearly defective. The one I bought this year has been nothing short of perfection.

I am now waiting for the SN30 Pro + to get back in stock to pick one of those up.

"I don't notice the lag" is not the same as "zero lag". BT has lag. Period. Even raw 2.4ghz has lag - less, because it lacks the error correction and two-way communication of BT, but it still has a little. BT controllers all have some, and, including 8bitdo controllers, have had it measured by people with the equipment to do so.

Don't say they are lag free when that is literally impossible.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I hear this every time a new 8bitdo comes out and I'm skeptical.

Looking at the video, the PCB looks like the same flawed design with simple circles as my NES30 and my SN30. NOT like the SNES dpad.

I've been disappointed by both of my 8bitdos. Modding the dpad with non-conductive tape got it a lot better, but not perfect.

No they are not the same design. They may be a circle, but the have a straight line across them. The old 8BitDo controller d-pad contacts have two curved lines and resemble stitching on a baseball. The SNES controller uses an oblong shape, but it is in fact circles with the extra bits on the sides giving them that oval shape. But they have the straight lines across the the circle part, which is what the new 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ controllers are copying.

I've been going back and forth between the SNES classic controller and my 8BitDo Pro+. They feel the same. No unintentional hits.