• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing people mention them on podcasts and wario64's prime lighting deals on their controllers sell out quick, is there something about them I'm missing? I had no idea there was such a big market for third party controllers, what's their popularity all about??

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
They're almost all of excellent quality and are compatible with a lot of major platforms.

The 8BitDo SN30 pro plus has become one of my favorite controllers ever.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They make excellent quality retro-inspired and sometimes clone controllers. The M30 (genesis 6 button controller with shoulder buttons) is my go-to for any 2D sidescrolling or otherwise type of game. Huge fan of their products.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Nintendo doesn't have a d-pad this gen.

And it's great value to buy a high quality controller that works on all platforms you own.

OP
OP
JoeyJungle

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
They're almost all of excellent quality and are compatible with a lot of major platforms.

The 8BitDo SN30 pro plus has become one of my favorite controllers ever.
Wireless SNES controllers bruh

Are they being used for modern games on xbox/ps4/pc? Or mostly emulators of 2D games? Or is the market for mfi controllers way bigger than i thought?

Nintendo doesn't have a d-pad this gen.

And it's great value to buy a high quality controller that works on all platforms you own.

Oh so people are buying a seperate controller for 2D games the way people do for fight sticks/fighting games and flight sticks/flight sims?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they make really great controllers

their sega genesis wireless controller is legitimately my favorite sega genesis controller now, even over sega's official controllers. it feels perfect in my hands.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Are they being used for modern games on xbox/ps4/pc? Or mostly emulators of 2D games? Or is the market for mfi controllers way bigger than i thought?

I use my current 8BitDo SF30 to just play retro games on Switch and PC, since the D-pad options on the Xbox and Switch pads don't really cut it

Once I get the SF30 Pro later this month with the handles though that's gonna become my defacto PC controller for all games.

Edit: Also their Genesis controller is the only 6-button one that'll work with the Genesis/Mega Drive mini in the west

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
The products I own and have used from them are excellent in build quality and kinda blow other third party and some first party controllers out of the water.
I've been using the SN30 Pro G as an all round pc controller and love it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you can use them on virtually everything, including the actual retro consoles. I use mine on a real sega genesis.

retrobit is awesome, too. I can't wait for that wireless Dreamcast controller.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
They make mediocre controllers with high compatibility. The latter part is what people love. The former part gives me a rash.

Yes. I've tried the one you love. I own like 15 of their controllers.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Is there a good, catch all controller by them? Something I could use on a PS4, Xbone, Switch, etc really easily?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
also, to add, I *love* their conversion kits. I've converted some real PSX and NES pads for use on actual retro consoles. When I got my Retro AVS, I couldn't find a wireless pad that felt just like an NES controller down to the details, so I used a conversion kit and it worked flawlessly.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017

Oh so people are buying a seperate controller for 2D games the way people do for fight sticks/fighting games and flight sticks/flight sims?

They're most popularly used with PC, mobile, and Switch. There are adapters to use them on older hardware also. My SN30 Pro+ has become my primary Switch controller because aside from the lack of HD rumble and NFC support, I 100% think it's better than the Nintendo Pro. The D-Pads on 8bitdo pads are absolutely perfect, and the size of the Pro+ is great for my large hands. Wonderful ergonomics on that one.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
My personal hot take: playing retro games with their native controlers (or facsimiles like the 8BitDo stuff) is HIGHLY overrated. I'll take the ergonomics and configurability of my Xbox Elite controller (which works amazing for 2D and 3D control alike) over something more "authentic" any day of the week. I give credit to those early controller designs where it is due for their innovations to the form, but they've been surpassed in every single way possible by modern controllers.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Also their Genesis controller is the only 6-button one that'll work with the Genesis/Mega Drive mini in the west

This part is incorrect, you're thinking of Retro-Bit on that one. The controllers they released recently are licensed by Sega and use original design materials.

Edit: beaten by Krejlooc :P

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about thier Nintendo style pads but the Sega style M30 controller is fantastic. Best dpad I've encountered since the Saturn. It's my go to for fighters and 2D action games now.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
They're beautifully designed, well-made, highly compatible, appeal to nostalgia, come in a lot of varieties and are cheap. There you go.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're just good controllers. I picked up an sf30 pro and it's become my main controller for pc games and 2d switch games.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

The ones with analog sticks are a bit cheaper than a Switch Pro controller, are fully compatible button-wise with the Switch and seem to have a much better dpad, so I guess that makes them good alternatives. Plus people may find symmetrical sticks more comfortable to use.

I have the discontinued sf30 pro (I feel like this product lasted for only a few months. Was it Nintendo ninjas that forced them to redesign?) and their Genesis styled m30 (which is more like a Saturn controller to me) and they work great for both emulation purposes and with the Switch. I don't think they are mfi certified though.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I love bitdo i use them for emulators, switch etc. I've seen some people who absolutely hate them but i have yet to come across an issue with the design or quality of them.

Oct 25, 2017
I own their NES and SNES controllers, and bought their Bluetooth adapters for my original NES and SNES. They work incredibly well, without any noticeable lag. The "Y" button on my SNES controller is a little bit sticky, but it hasn't affected my playthroughs so far.

8bitdo-nes30-gamepad-469749.8.jpg

41L2zOaVA-L._SX342_.jpg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do any of the SNES-style 8bitdo controllers for Switch have a Capture button built in? I want to be able to take screenshots and videos with it as I play.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I wish there was a way of using their controllers on PS4, but I still really want to get an SN30 Pro+. It's a super pretty controller and I've heard great things. The Switch Pro Controller is solid aside from the dpad, but the Pro+ is cheaper and seems a bit better, and works on other platforms as well.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
They make a decent product for an acceptable price. Also they cater heavily to nostalgia and have a line of controllers that work on original hardware making them one of the few ways to buy new controllers for old hardware from a reputable brand.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
They make mediocre controllers with high compatibility. The latter part is what people love. The former part gives me a rash.

Yes. I've tried the one you love. I own like 15 of their controllers.

Spawnwave did a tear down of the latest the Pro+, which just came out in August, and the d-pad's sensors are basically a copy of SNES ones. It's no longer mediocre, it's a legit great d-pad. The grips make the controller super comfortable (basically fat GameCube grips) and it has software where you can change button inputs (including analog sticks and trigger sensitivity). There's a reason this latest controller is getting a lot attention.

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
Now that the SNES is available on the Switch, I'm considering the SF30. It seems potentially better than the SNES controller Nintendo is releasing. I like the idea of analog sticks and home/screenshot buttons. I guess we don't know for sure since it isn't yet out. Any 8bit owners thinking of ditching theirs for the official one?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Spawnwave did a tear down of the latest the Pro+, which just came out in August, and the d-pad's sensors are basically a copy of SNES ones. It's no longer mediocre, it's a legit great d-pad. The grips make the controller super comfortable (basically fat GameCube grips) and it has software where you can change button inputs (including analog sticks and trigger sensitivity). There's a reason this latest controller is getting a lot attention.
ok. Fair. You have pointed out the one I have not yet tried. I'll very likely give it a shot.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
They made the first SNES controller clone I've ever used that seriously nailed the feel of the original. Not sure how they did it, but hats off to them.

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
Is the rumble on these bad? And loud?

What's up with analog stick rubber falling apart? Is this problem common or is it just an Amazon review bias from early builds?