• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not merely a word, it's a name. It's like if someone mispronounced NASA. They'd be wrong. No matter how many people mispronounced it, it would still be wrong because history is a thing and names are given not crowdsourced. If that's inconvenient for you, tough luck.
It is the same rule for those things too, literally. Names have been mispelled/mispronounced and changed over the years.

It's not like NASA, which is an actual active institution.

You're wrong.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's a soft G because it's a goddamn pun, you nerds. Arguably one of the longest running programmer-based puns at that.
Don't kill the pun because you're too stubborn to acknowledge your wrongness.
Do it for the puns of today, and the future generations of puns until the heat death of the universe.

What's the pun?

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
First, so we're clear, pun = a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings.

The .GIF pun stems from the motto used around CompuServe at the time: Choosy Programmers Choose GIF. They were intentionally referencing the peanut butter when they decided on the pronunciation back in the late '80s. Like... that was the point. So when folks say, "JIF is a peanut butter!" the response from the (correct) Soft-G advocates should be: "YES. EXACTLY."
Puns are delightful, because they're bad. Do it for the puns.

:)
oAO5wt5.gif

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the person who developed the format and name for it made it to be a soft g like in gin or giraffe. But someone on the internet mispronounced it in their head as people often do for Pokémon or such, and spread it around. This made it popular to say GIF with a hard g like gimmick.

Now, I know it's become a meme to say to originator of the name is wrong about his own chosen name. So now dictionaries say both are acceptable. But still, why did the one that isn't actually accurate to the name made by the inventor gain traction?

It's a name for a tech format, and as a name it has the pronunciation it's inventor gives it.

bits.blogs.nytimes.com

Battle Over 'GIF' Pronunciation Erupts

When the man who invented the GIF, the widely used Web graphic, said that people were pronouncing the term wrong, it started an unexpected debate.

You're not gonna go tell Dwyane Wade he says his name wrong. A name is pronounced the way the parent chooses. If one person says "Eesabelle" and the other person says "Izabelle" but their names are spelled the same, you pronounce it as they introduced it and as their parents chose.
OP, you freaking blew my mind I never noticed Dwyane Wade is spelled that way wtf!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
First, so we're clear, pun = a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words which sound alike but have different meanings.

The .GIF pun stems from the motto used around CompuServe at the time: Choosy Programmers Choose GIF. They were intentionally referencing the peanut butter when they decided on the pronunciation back in the late '80s. Like... that was the point. So when folks say, "JIF is a peanut butter!" the response from the (correct) Soft-G advocates should be: "YES. EXACTLY."
Puns are delightful, because they're bad. Do it for the puns.

:)
oAO5wt5.gif

Ah, I didn't think of that as a pun by itself, just part of a pun.

In which case I prefer "Beware geeks bearing GIFs." :)

This was popular joke on USENET around 1990 as far as I can remember. That link about that claims that everyone pronounced it with a soft G until later is just wrong. I was working in a multimedia-focused computer store in the late 80s, and at the University of Michigan (a pretty huge tech hub) in the early 90s, and hard-G was the way virtually everyone pronounced it. Whatever the author's intent, it hadn't spread along with the format itself, and seemingly most people took to hard G. Another poster above mentioned Austin was a soft-G town, so I imagine their were local norms. Based on the current usage and adoption of hard G, I would guess that tracks with how it shook out early on, as well.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
92! Nice find. The thread i found earlier was from 99.

Anyway... hard-G folks were just as obnoxious then as they are now. ;) Fun discussion, though.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After you invent a word, you don't own it any more. You can tell people what it's supposed to mean and how it's supposed to be pronounced and they have the right to abide by your intentions or to not.
He didn't invent a word, he invented a file type and named it, you can't take control away from his name. You can only say it wrong.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
He didn't invent a word, he invented a file type and named it, you can't take control away from his name. You can only say it wrong.
After he invented it, he no longer has any real say on how people use it or what people call it. If he didn't want people to mistakenly pronounce the name with a hard-G then he should have spelled it differently. If he didn't think about it beforehand, then it's his own damned fault.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
when you have to clarify "it is pronounced jif" then you know you messed up.

Gif. It is pronounced gif.

See also: JIMP

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
If the creator of the PIN said "PIN number", he would be a wrong idiot diaper baby. I hear the GIF creator also says "Juice Ex" and calls the Witcher "Jeralt".

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
when you have to clarify "it is pronounced jif" then you know you messed up.
Right on the money. When you have to intentionally misspell it in order to convey its supposed "true" pronunciation then you have no leg to stand on.

We pronounce 'scuba' as we do because of 'tuba', when confronted with new words and acronyms we look to other words of a similar nature as a guide(by 'jif' logic we should be saying the 'u' like 'underwater'). So 'gif' is 'gift' minus a 't' and anyone arguing otherwise is being moronic.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Right on the money. When you have to intentionally misspell it in order to convey its supposed "true" pronunciation then you have no leg to stand on.

We pronounce 'scuba' as we do because of 'tuba', when confronted with new words and acronyms we look to other words of a similar nature as a guide(by 'jif' logic we should be saying the 'u' like 'underwater'). So 'gif' is 'gift' minus a 't' and anyone arguing otherwise is being moronic.
So ROM is Rome for you, right?

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
To sum it up, he's not a linguist. So he needs to STFU and leave enunciations to professionals.
It's Gif, Gift, Give

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
So ROM is Rome for you, right?
No, 'ROM' is 'Tom'. Nice try, though.
If you were trying for a gotcha you should've went with 'NASA' and 'Nasal'.

Languages may have all sorts of rules, even a mess of a language like modern English, but new words can get in any way, shape, or form and you can't police them after the fact. And 'Gif(t)' has always been 'Gif(t)' until the dunderheaded creator of it tried to pass off his stupidity as gospel, arguing otherwise is revisionist bullshit.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The English speaking world overwhelmingly decided it was a hard g, so the creator can go pound sand. People can keep calling it JIF if they want, but I feel like the majority of people who insist on it do it so they can feel superior for pronouncing it the "right" way.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
No, 'ROM' is 'Tom'. Nice try, though.
If you were trying for a gotcha you should've went with 'NASA' and 'Nasal'.

Languages may have all sorts of rules, even a mess of a language like modern English, but new words can get in any way, shape, or form and you can't police them after the fact. And 'Gif(t)' has always been 'Gif(t)' until the dunderheaded creator of it tried to pass off his stupidity as gospel, arguing otherwise is revisionist bullshit.
If ROM is Tom, why is gif not gin.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Some people in this thread seem to be confused.

A hard "G" is the one that sounds like a "J", like in giraffe. A soft "G" is like gift, or like gif.

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics
Interchange
Format

Of course it's a hard G- it's not jraphics.

This is a nice backfill of an explanation, but it's not really consistent at all with plenty of other intialisms.

Really, the answer is "it's English, there's no ultimate arbiters, and people just love fighting about inconsiquential stuff on the internet."

I like the hard G, myself, especially as it avoids any confusion as to what I'm talking about.
Reposting this helpful guide for the NA morning crowd. ;)

http://fizzystack.web.fc2.com/ghif.html

I bothered reading it, and it bothered me.

This passage is absolutely bonkers:

Not quite. Dictionaries sometimes intentionally add wrong words or pronunciations to reflect the current state of the English language as it's widely spoken. Take "supposably" or "irregardless", for example. Or the second definition of "literally", which is its misused sense meaning "figuratively".

Just because it's in a dictionary, doesn't mean it's right.

It's the goddamn English language. If it's in dictionaries, that means it's common usage and it absolutely is right. They don't intentionally add wrong words, they add words, pronunciations, and additional meanings as they surface in English through use. Yes, we can be pedantic and I've certainly got a bone to pick with people who use literally instead of figuratively, but at some point you're arguing against a lost cause. Language is fluid, and (again) there are no ultimate arbiters of the English language.

Oct 28, 2017
Society collectively decided the meaning and pronunciations of words. And i think it's pretty clear that a hard G is accepted by a significant portion of people, if not the majority

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I learned the "JIF" pronunciation back in the day from my older brother who was no doubt familiar with its admirably nerdy origins.

But I have since given up the jhost. Language Is fluid, and just as "literally" morphed to encompass its exact opposite meaning, things change once the masses have their unwashed way with them.

That said, you don't have to like it.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Hard g "gihf" just sounds wet and noodly. We pronounce it "gin" for a reason," "gihn" would just sound terrible.

For people with good taste in linguistics, there's only one option.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
My biggest annoyance is that web development has used gifs as a crutch since nearly its inception, and, having started web development in the late 90s, I've been using the term gif (and pronouncing it correctly for the time) for 20 freaking years. More recently as gifs exploded in popularity to use not as a technical tool but as a way to post dumb memes the unwashed masses are trying to force a pronunciation change to make themselves feel correct. I still pronounce it the correct way in my head but almost go out of my way to say it out loud because of you dummies.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The English speaking world overwhelmingly decided it was a hard g, so the creator can go pound sand. People can keep calling it JIF if they want, but I feel like the majority of people who insist on it do it so they can feel superior for pronouncing it the "right" way.

Using this logic it's me-me or may-may and not meme.

Also I'm sure it's mainly Americans using hard G and America has no say over proper English.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
After he invented it, he no longer has any real say on how people use it or what people call it. If he didn't want people to mistakenly pronounce the name with a hard-G then he should have spelled it differently. If he didn't think about it beforehand, then it's his own damned fault.

The G is for Graphics and he chose to pronounce it like the peanut butter to make a reference.

Scuba is not a reference to another previously existing product. The creator was making a reference. You can ignore the original intent, that's fine. But you'd be wrong based on historic fact

I spell it out. G I F.
spell this out G Y M

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reposting this helpful guide for the NA morning crowd. ;)

http://fizzystack.web.fc2.com/ghif.html

That website claims to be dismantling all the arguments, but it doesn't dismantle a very common argument, and IMO the most convincing one, which is that there are no words in the English language that start with a G followed by a vowel and an F that are pronounced with a soft G. It's not like "gift" is the only one, there's words like gaffe or guffaw. Imagine if Geoff was written Geff. Instinctively, you'd pronounce that with a hard G, would you not?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
As always when mispronunciations of English words become commonplace, I blame Americans. That in this case the inventor of the format and word in question was also American is just sweet irony.