• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, that proves that false pronunciations often gain some footing, like it has with anyone who is going round saying Jif

You got any examples, out of curiosity?

Re reading your OP and your argument seems to be that his is allowed to give the thing a name, like a parent? Is that really what's happened when its an acronym?
Already examples in this thread... How about AWOL? (Absent without leave)

It's Ey-Wall instead of following absent's pronunciation.

Last edited:

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
This will forever be my favorite fight on the internet. Harmless. No Nazis. Sets a thread on fire every time.

May both sides never know peace.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
This will forever be my favorite fight on the internet. Harmless. No Nazis. Sets a thread on fire every time.

May both sides never know peace.
there are three holy perfect threads that cause division and are hilarious:

1. gif pronunciation
2. tipping
3. whether or not it's okay to brake-check people who tailgate

and a fourth optional one:
is a hot dog a sandwich?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Do you hard G people pronounce Laser with a soft S.
The S is for Stimulated, not Ztimulated.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, that proves that false pronunciations often gain some footing, like it has with anyone who is going round saying Jif

You got any examples, out of curiosity?

Re reading your OP and your argument seems to be that his is allowed to give the thing a name, like a parent? Is that really what's happened when its an acronym?
There's a few already posted here in the thread in which the first or later letters of the acronym do not follow the pronunciation of the words they're derived from. It's common for a company or format inventor to make the acronym sound different than the words that inspired them to make the acronym.

IMAX or AWOL or ASCII

There's many and they are often decided by the company or inventors.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
1*NXBMEgwOfIvDAuCqdy2hhg.gif
If it's meme'd it must be true right?

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Dywane Wade spells his name wrong and I would say that to his face.

Abcde is an idiotic name and why her parents saddled her with it is a mystery to me.

Hard g all the way. Usually I'm all for the inventor making up the name but that boat has sailed decades ago.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Language rules for the words behind acronyms have little to do with how the acronym itself gets pronounced. If anything, acronyms prove that they are able to have their own pronunciation that doesn't hint at the pronunciation of the words inspiring it.
yea if you came to me and said hey want to see this cool jif you found i would ask you why i would care about seeing your peanut butter.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Do you hard G people also pronounce IMAX as Ihmax.
The I is for Image, not Eyemage.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Using AWOL as any kind of example is weak nonsense considering the alternative is a very apprehensive wrong sounding tongue trippy approach. Ah-woll. Often an acronym's pronunciation is simply decided by how easy it is to say. Gif is one of those examples as jif is the choice of wrong-brains.

Its a hard G. Escape into space if you think otherwise.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Using AWOL as any kind of example is weak nonsense considering the alternative is a very apprehensive wrong sounding tongue trippy approach. Ah-woll. Often an acronym's pronunciation is simply decided by how easy it is to say. Gif is one of those examples as jif is the choice of wrong-brains.

Its a hard G. Escape into space if you think otherwise.
Ok, what about ROM, IMAX, Laser, etc.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This passage from the Bible and repeated in the Bayeux Tapestry settled it in the 14th century at the Council of Dos. Let us move away from this nonsense path.

The battle's won before it began.
The creator is himself deluded.
A Graphic format was the plan
The word has been of Jay denuded

To think th' other sound is madness
A nonsense word 'tis just a lark
We live in god's light not in sadness
And never in Jiraffic Park

lf9qmGO.gif

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Graphics Interchange Format. He's a computer programmer not a linguistics expert. Just because you invent something doesn't give you the right to claim rights over how it's pronounced. Words belong to the people and the collective have decided how graphics is pronounced.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
This right here.

It's GIF (jif) deal with it you appropriating name changers. The man named it, y'all didn't like it, so you pretended everyone cared what you think. :P
It's not that we didn't like it. We pronounce it the way that seems most appropriate. The way doesn't require you to put (jif) in parentheses to get the average person to pronounce it how you want us to.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that when people type out jif they'll often use a j to let you know which pronunciation they mean tells you all you need to know about why thats the wrong one.
Only because we know how many degens say it incorrectly.

Good folk spell out acronyms at first. When you first encountered "GIF" you said "G-I-F" because you're not a rube. "G" is pronounced "jee." When you eventually move to the phonetic shorthand it then became "jif."

If you followed any other progresion you're a bad person and should feel bad.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Do you hard G people also pronounce IMAX as Ihmax.
The I is for Image, not Eyemage.

This isn't equivalent to pronouncing GIF as jif.

In IMAX, the letter is pronounced first before the rest of the word(acronym?), if we pronounced GIF in a similar way, it would be "Jee If".

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I see. So we're trying to subvert the hard G by trying to go with middle vowel pronunciations as if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Soft G for softbrains.