• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So the person who developed the format and name for it made it to be a soft g like in gin or giraffe. But someone on the internet mispronounced it in their head as people often do for Pokémon or such, and spread it around. This made it popular to say GIF with a hard g like gimmick.

Now, I know it's become a meme to say to originator of the name is wrong about his own chosen name. So now dictionaries say both are acceptable. But still, why did the one that isn't actually accurate to the name made by the inventor gain traction?

It's a name for a tech format, and as a name it has the pronunciation it's inventor gives it.

bits.blogs.nytimes.com

Battle Over 'GIF' Pronunciation Erupts

When the man who invented the GIF, the widely used Web graphic, said that people were pronouncing the term wrong, it started an unexpected debate.

You're not gonna go tell Dwyane Wade he says his name wrong. A name is pronounced the way the parent chooses. If one person says "Eesabelle" and the other person says "Izabelle" but their names are spelled the same, you pronounce it as they introduced it and as their parents chose.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely nothing anyone can say or do that will get me to start pronouncing it as "jif".

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The masses made it a hard G. Make peace with it. We are never going back.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
you can't fix stupid, op. we just have to live in a world where people somehow think "gif" has a hard g.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be way more pointing to it being a hard G, I honestly don't know how the soft g spread so widely.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he wanted it to be called a jif he should have named it jif.

I'd say that to his face as well

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the first 3 letters of the word Gift and, also, the first word of the acronym is pronounced with a hard G, so it's only natural that people would pronounce it that way.

Also, pronunciation is ultimately dictated by usage, and usage has clearly determined that a hard G pronunciation is the preferred way. Suck it, JIFF nerds.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Language is malleable, the way the masses pronounce it is the way it's pronounced. One person's intent doesn't change that.

Oct 25, 2017
Words aren't children. They aren't born and given "names".

The creator coined a term for his file type. The term entered common usage. It's outside of his control how it's used or pronounced.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, man. I've always pronounced it like a "J". I thought the creator had said that was incorrect, but I hadn't let it stop me.

I feel vindicated.

Nov 14, 2017
The creator, if I recall correctly, tried establishing the pronunciation after people had already started using a hard G. Plus, as mentioned, the G in the acronym stands for 'graphics', with a hard G.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure we've already done this before but I think we need a poll

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
People who pronounce it with a soft G are likely very proud of the fact and are probably also very pretentious about other things too

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pronouncing it with a J-sound because that's how you thought it was pronounced, that's one thing. That's fine. That's normal. It's just someone's thought on how to say a word! Cool.

Pronouncing it with a J-sound, despite knowing the world pronounces it as a hard G and then citing the inventor and other reasons why its actually correct, reeks of contrarian superiority complex nerd bullshit.

EDIT: what the person above me said, too.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in my life I met someone that actually pronounced it jif. But then again he also says says "me-me" for meme.

Nov 17, 2017
Graphics
Interchange
Format

Of course it's a hard G- it's not jraphics.
Ah so it's pronounced "Griff"

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Graphics
Interchange
Format

Of course it's a hard G- it's not jraphics.
That's what brought about the letters, but the name of the format was with a soft g and pronunciation of acronyms is often not based on the separate words. IMAX, AWOL, SWAT, LASER, CD ROM, etc. Acronyms often change the pronunciation from their original words.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
You're not gonna go tell Dwyane Wade he says his name wrong. A name is pronounced the way the parent chooses. If one person says "Eesabelle" and the other person says "Izabelle" but their names are spelled the same, you pronounce it as they introduced it and as their parents chose.

This right here.

It's GIF (jif) deal with it you appropriating name changers. The man named it, y'all didn't like it, so you pretended everyone cared what you think. :P

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that when people type out jif they'll often use a j to let you know which pronunciation they mean tells you all you need to know about why thats the wrong one.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who pronounces it as Jif is not to be associated with and I've already reported you to the authorities.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
People who pronounce it with a soft G are likely very proud of the fact and are probably also very pretentious about other things too
just because we enjoy cinema, fine dining, and a glass of chianti doesn't mean we are pretentious

it's the fact that we think we're better than you plebs who pronounce gif with a hard g that makes us pretentious

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Jif" sounds way too derpy OP. It sounds like the name of a character reject from a 90s cartoon.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone knows how to pronounce JIF (PB), because this spelling is GIF it's assumed to have a soft G (guh) sound. Because JIF is already taken.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where did this rule come from where an acronym has to inherit the pronunciation of its components?

Also, lol @ English having rules, esp. in regards to pronunciation. Shits all over the place.