• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in Saudi Arabia once and saw an ad for this monstrosity.

e5dacf64e461f542f93635387e075459.jpg
iu

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
English and American
This.

Especially the US as it blessed the world with chemically engineered fast food, turning its people into blobs. I'm not saying other countries couldn't and wouldn't have done it eventually but the US was first and is still the leader in the field.

Hope you're not a native speaker. I'm not and even I know "whose" is perfectly fine here and even preferable to "which".

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Off the top of my head, I think of US, Italy, England. Not sure what exactly counts as "Mexican" for the purposes of this discussion.
There's not a whole lot of food in Germany that gets fried, outside of Fries and Schnitzel. And fried stuff outweighs sausages, potato salad, potato dumplings etc. by far.

Actually it's a tricky question. Here is a list of top 10 most obese countries for reference:

1. Nauru (Average BMI: 32.5)
  2. Tonga (Average BMI: 31.9)
  3. Samoa (Average BMI: 31.7)
  4. Kuwait (Average BMI: 30)
  5. Saint Kitts and Nevis (Average BMI: 29.7)
  6. Saint Lucia (Average BMI: 29.6)
  7. Kiribati (Average BMI: 29.6)
  8. Palau (Average BMI: 29.4)
  9. Micronesia (Average BMI: 29.4)
  10. Tuvalu (Average BMI: 29.3)
All these polynesian islands are obese because their traditional cuisine got replaced with imported high calorie junk.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Why are y'all saying Mexican? Yes, it can be bad but if you're having a basic burrito that's like protein, beans and rice, some dairy in the form of cheese and some veggies. That's... not bad? Portion sizes can be a lot but that's America for ya.

The rice and the tortilla are a carb bomb. A Chipotle burrito can be up to 1000 calories.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The rice and the tortilla are a carb bomb. A Chipotle burrito can be up to 1000 calories.
Carbs are just a minor factor in the equation (but obviously contributing to the problem when a diet is centered around them). From what I gathered getting people addicted to chemically engineered flavors, sugars and feeding them large doses of corn syrup in various forms has a much bigger impact.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder about the factors that go into this. Food from the southern US is often remarked as both tasting good and being horrible for you, but I've also seen claim that it was actually more nutritious until the quality of ingredients plummeted due to the greater presence of vegetables and seasonings.

Similarly, when people mention Mexican food, I wonder if the food as it would be in Mexico or interpreted through the ingredients, eating habits, and alterations of another culture.

Jun 10, 2018
369188d2a29745ee11978f5b4e86bffe.png

You don't need to be fat to have high cholesterol.
Low cholesterol is actually the bigger issue since cholesterol is what coats your arteries and prevents it from being exposed (and eventually damaged) by AGEs. Not to mention the human body produces more cholesterol than what we intake.

We've been on a low-fat crusade since the 60s and ever since then every metabolic related disease has skyrocketed in prevalence among the population. This isn't at all a coincidence.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Is Mediterranean the healthiest?
Nope. African.

qz.com

West Africans have some of the healthiest diets in the world

It's comprised of lean meats, vegetables, legumes, and staple starches, with less processed foods.
This confused me until I realized that "the Mediterranean Diet" that is touted as the healthiest is just a western diet plan with a fancy name and not the actual food that people from those countries eat.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Off the top of my head, I think of US, Italy, England. Not sure what exactly counts as "Mexican" for the purposes of this discussion.

All these polynesian islands are obese because their traditional cuisine got replaced with imported high calorie junk.

Yeah. And i think i've read somewhere than polynesian and micronesian people tend to have genes that favor higher than average fat storage with an excessive consumption of sugar. So that with the same meal and in the same quantities, they'd create more fat than a random white american. Wich is quite unfortunate.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. African.

qz.com

West Africans have some of the healthiest diets in the world

It's comprised of lean meats, vegetables, legumes, and staple starches, with less processed foods.
Oh nice.
This confused me until I realized that "the Mediterranean Diet" that is touted as the healthiest is just a western diet plan with a fancy name and not the actual food that people from those countries eat.
Lol

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
American, because it's filled with corn syrup and then deep fried, severed with a side of carbs, more carbs, carbs they tell you are vegetables, and then a mountain of corn syrup for desert. All served with a corn syrup beverage.

Not saying sugar is bad, but we have sugar or corn syrup in everything. Like, I think it was mentioned in another thread on here, but it was someone from another country being surprised that our bread was actually sweet. It is because everything manufactured here has corn syrup or starch in it.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Believe it or not, traditional Mexican cuisine is actually very healthy and balanced. We used to eat lots of vegetables, seeds, legumens and small amounts of meat and poultry until 50 years ago. Even most of our "Popular food", while greasy, didn't really affect the overall health of the populace (unless you had poor self control, or bad genetaics).

The advent of American fast food restaurants, sugar high soda, processed food and candy, combined with aggressive marketing from the companies behind these foods, a snubbing of traditional foods (making the populace believe that traditional food was for poor people only) and a genetic predisposition in the populace for grease accumulation and diabetes, has lead MĆ©xico to its current situation, which is bad.

If any traditional/regional cuisine is bad, it is the American's with its high portion/high sugar/high fat diet.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
I'm pretty sure Mexican food takes this crown.

Not if you're talking about authentic Mexican food from actual Mexico.

I don't think I have any family that's actually heavy-set over there.

The only reason I'd gain weight any time I went to Mexico is because I ate a ton of freshly made tortillas that were hard to resist.

Believe it or not, traditional Mexican cuisine is actually very healthy and balanced. We used to eat lots of vegetables, seeds, legumens and small amounts of meat and poultry until 50 years ago. Even most of our "Popular food", while greasy, didn't really affect the overall health of the populace (unless you had poor self control, or bad genetaics).

The advent of American fast food, sugar high soda and processed food and candy, combined with a genetic predisposition for grease accumulation and diabetes, has lead MĆ©xico to its current situation, which is bad.

If any traditional/regional cuisine is bad, it is the American's with its high portion/high sugar/ high fat diet.

This right here.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Not if you're talking about authentic Mexican food from actual Mexico.

I don't think I have any family that's actually heavy-set over there.

The only reason I'd gain weight any time I went to Mexico is because I ate a ton of freshly made tortillas that were hard to resist.

This right here.

Yeah. The perception of traditional Mexican food as unhealthy comes from American chain restaurants USAnizing mexican food to include enormous amounts of grease, carbs and processed sugar.

For example. One of my fevourite dishes. The Pozole.
This dish is made by cooking cacahuazintle corn grains (not the popcorn kind, actual soft corn grains) alongside meat (Usually pork, but it's not uncommon to use beef or chicken), laurel leaves, and other spices. This broth also may include grinded and boiled chilli and other ingredients (depending on the kind of Pozole you want to eat).

Once the broth is ready, you can add as many additional ingredients as you like. Usually lettuce, raddishes, onion, lemon, oregano, avocado and as much sauce as you like. Truly a complete, delicious and balanced meal.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
lol yeah "just eat tomatoes and add olive oil, nothing else"
It's kinda fucked up when you think about it cause now we have to deal with this disclaimer when you go to Wikipedia to read about this stuff:
This article is about the dietary recommendation that became popular in the 1990s. For food of the areas around the Mediterranean Sea, see Mediterranean cuisine.
I don't even care about cultural appropriation all that much, but they really took the name of an entire ocean and just slapped it on the idea of "eat more olive oil and legumes".

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Canadian cuisine is pretty close to American but with more gravy and cheese curds. Also halifax donairs/donair pizza are definitely #1 on my list of 'this is probably going to kill me but oh my god it's good'

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also people bringing up American Mexican is ironic for two reasons.

1) I think Taco Bell, in the late 20th century, was generally less carb/sodium heavy than its more purely American competitors i.e. McDonalds and KFC.

2) The current trend of "healthy" American Mexican, aka Cal-mex, is much more nutritionally balanced than Tex-mex.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I think that if we talk unhealthy traditional cuisine, then USA is on top. Both their original products (???) and the greasy, artificial reflections of other traditional cuisines.

If we talk general population dietary practices, then other countries also rank up in unhealthyness, including Mexico (But America is still at the top).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
Yeah. The perception of traditional Mexican food as unhealthy comes from American chain restaurants USAnizing mexican food to include enormous amounts of grease, carbs and processed sugar.

This dish is made by cooking cacahuazintle corn grains (not the popcorn kind, actual soft corn grains) alongside meat (Usually pork, but it's not uncommon to use beef or chicken), laurel leaves, and other spices. This broth also may include grinded and boiled chilli and other ingredients (depending on the kind of Pozole you want to eat).

Once the broth is ready, you can add as many additional ingredients as you like. Usually lettuce, raddishes, onion, lemon, oregano, avocado and as much sauce as you like. Truly a complete, delicious and balanced meal.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes! Pozole is exactly what I was thinking about and a great example.

Same with tacos, with all the veggies and stuff. And the meat is fresh, too. An uncle has his own taco stand and he'd kill the goat the same day he was going to cook the meat.

People also forget sea food. A cousin in Mexico had (has?) his own restaurant that sold shrimp cocktail.

Also, portions are smaller in Mexico.

I remember asking my Mom to buy me an extra torta or more enchiladas because everything was smaller/less in Mexico.

That includes fast food chain restaurants. I was so bummed when I ordered large fries and they were the size of medium fries (smaller maybe?).

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe it's not American food.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Yes! Pozole is exactly what I was thinking about and a great example.

Same with tacos, with all the veggies and stuff. And the meat is fresh, too. An uncle had his own taco stand and he'd kill the goat the same day he was going to cook the meat.

People also forget sea food. A cousin in Mexico had (has?) his own restaurant that sold shrimp cocktail.

Also, portions are smaller in Mexico.

I remember asking my Mom to buy me an extra torta or more enchiladas because everything was smaller/less.

That includes fast food chain restaurants. I was so bummed when I ordered large friends and they were the size of medium fries (smaller maybe?).

Portions and a balanced diet are a part of it. Yet MĆ©xico is still fairly unhealthy.

I think MĆ©xico's biggest problem on this regard is lack of proper education and a complete dominance by the companies behind the processed foods and sodas. I can tell you from experience. 80's and 90's kids were fucked over by the marketing of sugary treats, cookies, fast food restaurants and soda and a general lack of good information on alternatives. I'm starting to recover from almost two decades of overweight (thankfully not obesity). We are in the top of child obesity rankings for a reason.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Besides the most obvious (US food), I hear your typical Hungarian table isn't exactly piled with the healthiest of foods.
This site actually answers the question:

Here's the top 10 list of the healthiest cuisines around the world: 1. Tunisia 2. Barbados 3. Republic of Cape Verde 4. Mauritius 5. Israel 6. Quatar 7. Ciprus 8. Seychelles Islands 9. Mali 10. Grenada

Top 10 countries with the least healthy cuisines: 1. Azerbaijan 2. Slovakia 3. Czech Republic 4. Belgium 5. Heilongjiang (a Chinese province) 6. Iceland 7. Belorussia 8. Latvia 9. USA 10. Russia

So mostly Eastern Europe/Central Asia.

Sep 14, 2019
Portions and a balanced diet are a part of it. Yet MĆ©xico is still fairly unhealthy.

I think MĆ©xico's biggest problem on this regard is lack of proper education and a complete dominance by the companies behind the processed foods and sodas. I can tell you from experience. 80's and 90's kids were fucked over by the marketing of sugar treats, cookies, fast food restaurants and soda. I'm starting to recover from almost two decades of overweight (thankfully not obesity). We are in the top of child obesity rankings for a reason.

That's a good point.

I remember we'd always buy a 2 liter soda for dinner.

And it didn't help that a US dollar could buy me 3 bags of "Sabritas." The 20 bucks I'd take with me every time I went to Mexico served me pretty well in that regard LOL.

I ate a bag of Lays every day, maybe more than that.

My parents have mentioned this issue before. How things were healthier when they were younger.

But that's less to do with traditional Mexican food and more to do with processed foods and sugary treats from big companies, like you said.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, but look at the amount of Coke Cola they drink? My extended family goes through that shit by the gallons. Water is nearly non-existent, used for cleaning and cooking.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, but look at the amount of Coke Cola they drink? My extended family goes through that shit by the gallons. Water is nearly non-existent, used for cleaning and cooking.

Yeah. As I already said above. The problem is not the traditionsl cuisine. The problem is the new eating habits (diet and portions) that the country has adopted over the last 50 years. The sugar and chemical intake has skyrocketed thanks to a lack of education and aggressive marketing. Please, read what I've already said before coming up with gotchas.

Also, sorry about your extended family. Hopefully none of them have serious health conditions product of this shit diet the Mexican populace has.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there is a name for this besides "White American".

(It looks good ngl, I'd eat, I've seen much worse recipes than this one but can't find the truly horrific creations)

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I wonder if there is a name for this besides "White American".

(It looks good ngl, I'd eat, I've seen much worse recipes than this one)

Honestly, it looks good until they add the chesse (But the egg is good). Maybe with less hashbrown and an overall smaller portions, it would be alright.