• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duty

Oct 25, 2017

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Well seeing as Tactics is the only one I've played to completion (multiple times at that) it's Ramza.

Delita fans probably root for Griffith in Berserk as well.

Last edited:

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Cecil- from Dark Knight to Paladin- always badass. And to me, always the purest FF game that I can always go back and play.

4hero_-_cecil.png

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's Cloud, unquestionably. He's not just my favorite FF lead, he's my favorite fictional character. Snarky attitude, yet caring and empathetic (though he'd want you to believe otherwise), strong as heck, and a story of self discovery that beats any other I've read. I adore Cloud.

Tidus is a very close second, and Cecil and Noctis are up there too. Terra would probably round out my top five.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Noctis. I used to say it was Locke, but as I got older I realized he's really only the protagonist of Act I and is one of the most inconsequential characters in Act II, so it's hard to really call him a protag anymore.

But Noct is just great. One of the only protagonists in the entire series who feels like a person. The scene that finally sold me on him was actually one of the optional camp scenes - Ignis wakes Noctis up and starts freaking the hell out over the fact that a chocobo stole his glasses and Noct's reaction is just dead silence for half a second and then a burst of utterly exasperated laughter. It's exactly how I would've responded in that situation and it resonated so damn well.

Dude needs to say "what can I say?" a little less, though. It's like his catch phrase.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I'll go with Zidane. Guy is just genuine and can be pretty funny. I usually don't like upbeat characters but I've always greatly enjoyed him.

I really have a hard time considering anyone from FF6 as the main protagonist but I know Terra is usually seen as the default. They're all great though and a case can be made for several of them being FF's best. Locke and Celes were my favorites in that game though.

Ramza's great too, just wish we saw a little more of his personality.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I don't really know why but I loved everything about this goofy guy and I think I just like him more over time.
HTuFcOz.jpg

Laguna from FF8.

I feel like he has some charm, some capabilities, is good natured and caring but also at times incredibly unlucky and maybe also incredibly lucky (for surviving some bull shit and ending up where he is and with his current job). His story is both fun and somewhat tragic. His contrast to Squall is also quite amusing to watch.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
8618719e29e95187d55958e9f14b1250.gif

Noctis, easily. His character growth through the story is so amazing. All his little personality quirks are so endearing and cute too. Like how he dresses and tries to act tough, but he's also that spoiled kid picking the tomatoes off his hamburgers.

And I love that in spite of his appearance he's pretty much the anti-squall. He's so open in sharing his emotions and telling his friends and lover how much he loves them. That final campfire scene...

Izanu

Nov 6, 2017
United Kingdom
Haven't played many FF titles but probably Zack. He just tried his best to be a hero.

I'm surprised no one said ultima tier Luso from FFTA2 lol

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Freaking Celes Chere. She is a delight from start to end. Story, personality, design. She is perfect.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I have always loved Squall. Out of all the main characters in the series, I have always felt like he had the most genuine and heartwarming development. His insecurities feel very human, which stem from his abandonment issues, and he puts up a wall to protect himself from being hurt again. Most people just think he is an asshole. But he is actually a deeply caring person that doesn't want to be left alone again so he doesn't let anyone close. Watching him go from that to the leader of Balamb Garden, opening up and finding love and trusting his friends, is inspiring and I think really well told and isn't given the props he deserves for it.

Other than him? Some of my other favorites are Terra and Noctis.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
We're all gonna be Cloud fanboys if they do him right in the remake.

Ramza #1
Zidane
Balthier

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Either tidus for the whole "i dont know your culture so im gonna obnoxiously insert myself into a lot of hoky situations" or ramza for the whole "i dont jive w ur sense of morality and ur constant manipulation but im here so i might as well be involved"

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Lightning, actually.

Wow. I didn't expect that to be the answer when I saw this thread title but thinking back on it... 100%

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I Will defend squall and i hate cd 3 and 4 of ff8 with passion.

There's no emo MC in the main line final Fantasy games. You can say that to advent Children Cloud and i understand.

But squall Just likes to be alone, he's stoic, and doesnt express himself Very good. He doesnt go to the corner and cry, he does stuff he Must do and don't want to get involved with people

My hot take is if squall is emo, Kratos in the last game is emo too since they share those characteristics.

Cloud is not emo in ff7 who says that, only watched AC, the only part cloud is emo, IS when Sephiroth says he's a fake and during his recovery, and even then It has a reason why for that part. After this cloud returns to normal Very quickly.

Cloud should be way more emo btw like:
- Sephiroth impaled the girl he liked in front of him
-he beated the shit out of aeris by mind Control
- his Village and mom burned in front of him
- his best friend in the army sacrificied for him
- he got tortured by bio experiments
- he couldnt stop a genocide in front of him

I would be extremely emo in cloud place, but he isnt, he's a dorky normal Guy from most of the game.

Zidane is not emo, tidus is not emo, vaan is not emo, noctis is not emo besides the look.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Celes and Cecil for similar reasons. The conflicted general archetype appeals to me, I guess. (Probably why Beatrix is one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters...)

Zidane's amazing as well! FFIX is just so heartwarming and emotionally affecting in general.

Honorable mention would be Kaim from Lost Odyssey Final Fantasy XIII, who's a fantastic character, and an example of the endangered Competent JRPG MC.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Old Noctis is the best that I've played. Too bad...

he doesn't stick around long.

Also, I enjoyed Lighting as a protagonist, especially in the second and third game of XIII.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Zidane, because he's the only one that wouldn't be insufferable to spend time with. I hope we get more protagonists like him in the future, instead of more popstar wannabies and edgelords.

(Although FFXV's cast is pretty great too, despite looking like a boy band.)

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I love Sabin. I really don't know why, but he's my favorite. Vivi is probably my runner up. I also hate-love Noctus, so he can have an honorable mention.

064.gif

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Tidus. Yeah yeah he got daddy issues. But his dad is an ass hole, so it's no surprise. Tidus the goat.
543228-dissidiatidus.jpg

Noctis comes in second place for me, loved his dorky personality and how he ends up having to mature to take on his responsibilities.
tenor.gif

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_m9jfoqsYQD1r8gaaho1_250.gif

Claire Farron (Lightning)

Strong, fierce...yet it's all a cover for an insecure orphaned girl. It was good to see her guard come down through XIII. It was amazing to see her develop as she felt sister instincts towards Hope. It was great to see her make mends with Snow and focus on saving Serah.
A wonderful character and an even better character design.