• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worst Star Trek Dad

• James T. Kirk

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Worf

Votes: 85 42.5%
  • Gul Dukat

Votes: 79 39.5%
  • Enabran Tain

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Tom Paris

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Magnus Hansen

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
OMG dead

Regular cast? Worf by far. The man dumps his kid on his parents more than once, is oppressively conservative, overcompensates by proselytizing and fetishizing Klingon culture, is often bigoted toward other races, and is Starfleet's premier jobber... I still have no idea why he has such a fan following.

Non-regular cast? Hard to top a space Nazi like Dukat.

You're right, clearly fans should be excited for notable good guy and rule follower Harry Kim.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Why no Sarek option? He didn't speak to Spock for years just because Spock wanted to join Starfleet. Sarek also had a difficult relationship with his adopted daughter Michael.
Don't forget him growing estranged from Spock between TOS and TNG because of political differences. I don't think they ever reconcile either lol

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's a close race between Worf and Dukat but the thing is: Worf has viable excuses, Dukat doesn't. If you have doubts please consider that Ziyal isn't his only kid and imagine what the Dominion did to his wife and children while he was fucking Nurse Ratched. Even if they weren't speficially ordered to be killed like Damar's family, they still very likely got killed when the Dominion went scorched earth on Cardassia.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Because he's an interesting character.
The preoccupation with being more Klingon than actual Klingons can be interesting, sure... but then it often just makes Worf's platitudes about what a Klingon should do or believe feel affected and annoyingly preachy.
You're right, clearly fans should be excited for notable good guy and rule follower Harry Kim.
16445667.jpg

Sadly, Kim isn't even the most annoying or boring character on Voyager.
That would be Chakotay.
I think it's because Michael Dorn's performance if the role was superb. He knew whether to play Worf for laughs, when to play him as a badass, and when to portray him as an obstinate stick in the mud, and he was on point every time. Masterclass level, IMO
I agree, Dorn is great. It's the writing for Worf that feels often all over the place, to the point of making him an unlikable, annoying asshole a lot of the time. That said, I do very much appreciate his funny and truly badass moments.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People out here saying Sisko had a choice. He was totally kidnapped and couldn't get out without some training. Best you can say is, if he's a good student, he can probably get home fastest. For all the meaning 'fast' has to those creatures.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Worf being such a terrible father felt ironic to me considering how obsessed he was with honor.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Those Worf votes are ridiculous. He tried to be a good father but found himself wanting, and for Alexander's own sake let him be raised by his parents. As Picard said, you can do everything right and still fail. That is life.

Worf never tried to actually murder Alexander, so that puts him leagues above Dukat. Tain let his own son take the fall for something he knew he wasn't responsible for and then refused to acknowledge that he was his child at all. Both of them are far worse than Worf.

It might have been worse for Alexander if he stayed with Worf, who had an active career in Starfleet. They didn't get on all that well, even going through counselling to try and understand each other better, and to better live with one another. It just didn't work. Would it have been fair to Alexander for him to stay with his father, when it wasn't working for either of them? Maybe as fair as thinking his own parents could provide a better, more stable environment and relationships for him.

All these Worf votes are ridiculous when put up against Dukat intending to murder his child and almost doing it.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, you didn't list Sisko. It's Sisko if his stupid ass stays with the Prophets for decades or whatever the fuck. Hey asshole, you have a wife and children stop fucking around with the prophets and their "time has no meaning" place.

Sisko knew there would be a cost for asking for the Prophets help.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Sarek is a pretty shitty father (and husband) In Star Trek Discovery. I rather liked how they fleshed out his character versus how he was in the original films and Tng.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Worf being such a terrible father felt ironic to me considering how obsessed he was with honor.

Plot twist: Klingons don't care about honor.

However let's be real, Worf only became a "bad" father because the writers didn't want Alexander on the Enterprise every episode or someone constantly having to ask Work what's Alexander doing? So he got shipped off to his grandparents. Then DS9 came around and decided to bring back Alexander since they were focusing on Worf more and Alexander could be recast as an adult. After which, they could deal with his past "bad" fathering and make him a good father again and then ship Alexander off on some ship so Worf could just always say, "oh, he's serving on whatever doing a good job."

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Don't forget him growing estranged from Spock between TOS and TNG because of political differences. I don't think they ever reconcile either lol

They didn't. In Unification, Spock told Picard and he and Sarek never mind melded. When he was suffering Vulcan Alzheimer's and mind melded with Picard, Picard realized how much Sarek loved Spock, but he could never say it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Worf may admit that he's no good at being a dad, but at least he tried. My vote's definitely for Dukat.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Dukat for sure, though I am sure Tain wasn't much better. I wouldn't be surprised if Tain didn't also seriously consider killing Garak at some point.

For people who aren't you know literally Space Trump or a cold blooded spymaster, I vote Worf. That man straight up abandoned his son because his son didn't want to be just like him. Not that it would have mattered because even if Alexander had a hard on for all things Klingon like his dad it would have all been taken from him when Worf caused the destruction of his house.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's Tain. Garek was nothing but a weapon to him, something he could use for his own purposes and thrown away when he was no longer useful. Dukat sucks as well but he at least cared for his daughter before he had a mental break.

Also I love Worf being completely unequipped to be a father. It's so bold that they made him suck so much. Most of the time the son is the punishment for a monstrous person, their flaws made manifest in someone they can't use their usual brutal tactics but Worf is otherwise a moral upstanding person.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
Quark and Rom's father went for space cigarettes and never came back.

Those Worf votes are ridiculous. He tried to be a good father but found himself wanting, and for Alexander's own sake let him be raised by his parents. As Picard said, you can do everything right and still fail. That is life.

Worf never tried to actually murder Alexander, so that puts him leagues above Dukat. Tain let his own son take the fall for something he knew he wasn't responsible for and then refused to acknowledge that he was his child at all. Both of them are far worse than Worf.

It might have been worse for Alexander if he stayed with Worf, who had an active career in Starfleet. They didn't get on all that well, even going through counselling to try and understand each other better, and to better live with one another. It just didn't work. Would it have been fair to Alexander for him to stay with his father, when it wasn't working for either of them? Maybe as fair as thinking his own parents could provide a better, more stable environment and relationships for him.

All these Worf votes are ridiculous when put up against Dukat intending to murder his child and almost doing it.

You should rewatch Sons and Daughters. Worf goes years without even speaking to Alexander for no other reason than working on their relationship was too much effort and it was easier to just not and let it slide rather than confront the issue. Should have picked up a subspace phone once in a while.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely Worf. I don't think it's fair to say Worf tried. How many episodes was Alexander even in? As a viewer I only saw him try like 3 episodes or something and give up. You can try and explain how a lot of shit happens in their world we don't see, that the time between episodes represents weeks or years, but as a viewer I just get those few interactions and then he's gone.

And Worf also did that stupid rite to take that other kid as a brother and we never see that kid again either.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Tain pretend Garak wasn't his son so as to protect him?/both of them? Only their maid knew the truth.

Tain was pretty bad otherwise. He did help make Garak the master spy/agent he was though.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I voted Kirk and Hansen (and Dukat although he had moments where you think he isn't bad until you realize he's insane, he's playing mind games even on the audience and no amount of love for his children/wife/child with his mistress can help him).

Kirk likely pushed Carol Marcus and her son David away and made her feel that it was just her and David alone. Although they make up in the end.

Magnus Hansen had the dumb idea to risk his family and Annika just to study the Borg and caused her to get assimilated. Seven basically spends most of her time on Voyager just trying to rebuild her life.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Kirk likely pushed Carol Marcus and her son David away and made her feel that it was just her and David alone. Although they make up in the end.

But she pushed Kirk away. She was afraid if David knew who is father was, he'd follow in his footsteps, instead of hers.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
It's definitely Worf. I don't think it's fair to say Worf tried. How many episodes was Alexander even in? As a viewer I only saw him try like 3 episodes or something and give up. You can try and explain how a lot of shit happens in their world we don't see, that the time between episodes represents weeks or years, but as a viewer I just get those few interactions and then he's gone.

And Worf also did that stupid rite to take that other kid as a brother and we never see that kid again either.

Worf went to counselling to try and have a better working relationship with his son. If he was a human, he'd be the type of man to not want to talk about his feelings. As a Klingon who is constantly surrounded by 24th century humans and their open willingness to talk about their feelings and everything else he finds embarrassing about them and all of humanity, that had to be hard for him. Yet he was more than reasonable about trying to work things through fairly for both of them. There are human men who would never even try. I know from experience. My father point blank refused to go to any type of counselling because he knew he'd be told he was wrong. Decades later he's paid for that decision.

That Worf tried at all tells me he really did love his son and wanted things to work out between them. Also, we really shouldn't look on that rite as a measure of Worf as a parent just because the writers were never interested enough to revisit what that meant, nor the studio willing enough to pay the original writers for the use of their character.

You should rewatch Sons and Daughters. Worf goes years without even speaking to Alexander for no other reason than working on their relationship was too much effort and it was easier to just not and let it slide rather than confront the issue. Should have picked up a subspace phone once in a while.

It's been a while since I watched either TNG or DS9, true. But I still find people voting for Worf ridiculous. Dukat planned on murdering his daughter himself because her existence was politically damaging to him. Worf trying and failing as a father, yet still loving his son and wanting the best for him does not at all compare. It's utterly absurd to me that people are viewing Worf - as an imperfect man and a self-admitted failure of a parent - as worse than Dukat, Tain or Hansen who thought bringing his young child with him on a study of the most deadly adversary in the galaxy was a good idea, or any other horrible parent we may find in Star Trek.

It's absolutely perfect ResetEra though, I'll give you that.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Plot twist: Klingons don't care about honor.

However let's be real, Worf only became a "bad" father because the writers didn't want Alexander on the Enterprise every episode or someone constantly having to ask Work what's Alexander doing? So he got shipped off to his grandparents. Then DS9 came around and decided to bring back Alexander since they were focusing on Worf more and Alexander could be recast as an adult. After which, they could deal with his past "bad" fathering and make him a good father again and then ship Alexander off on some ship so Worf could just always say, "oh, he's serving on whatever doing a good job."
Every time I see Alexander, it makes me wish that K'Ehleyr stuck around for a few more episodes before they offed her.