• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering this myself. Most series have a main protagonist, even if they are not the most popular character (ex. Jin despite Kazuya/Heihachi being more iconic) or have been replaced (ex. Liu Kang being replaced from Deadly Alliance onwards). For Soulcalibur, I do wonder that myself. I have a few ideas, but I can't narrow it down to one character specifically:
  1. Siegfried
  2. Sophitia
I think are the most likely candidates, but Taki, Mitsurugi, etc. may also be counted as the main protagonist by others.

Oct 26, 2017
In Soul Edge, the protagonists were Sophitia, Taki and Siegfried.

In Soul Calibur 1-4(and 6), the protagonists were Kilik, Xianghua and Maxi.

In Soul Calibur 5, the protagonists were Patroklos and Pyrrha.

That's how I understood it, anyway.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
In Soul Edge/Blade I always thought Mitsurugi was the Ryu of the game

Calibur was definitely Kilik

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought it was Siegfried/Nightmare because of the relationship with the sword, but the story is so off the rails that I have no idea anymore.

At this point, If the producer said the main character was Voldo, I'd believe it.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The main character is Siegfried.

Yep. He pretty much is the reason a bad situation got even worse, and then made for his own worst enemy after Soul Edge opted to say it didn't even need HIM as a host, any more, and just copped his style on the same token.

Everything after that is basically just a repeating cycle of him seeking to atone for the shit he's done.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game

SoulEdge: Taki, Sophitia and Siegfried
SoulCalibur: Xianghua (Main Protag) Kilik and Maxi (Supporting Protags)
SoulCalibur 2: Raphael
SoulCalibur 3: Siegfried
SoulCalibur 4: Siegfried
SoulCalibur 5: Pyrrah and Patrokolas
SoulCalibur 6: Kilik (Main Protag) Xianghua and Maxi (Supporting Protags)

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It's a shared and fluid role, but I think Siegfried carries the greatest significance overall. In SoulCalibur and II as the villain, then in III and IV as the repentant hero. Then in V as the washed up dude who passes his evil sword onto some young schmuck who seemed like a dick.

That said...

I think when it comes to fighting games, people are too focused on singular main characters and main stories. The best part of these kinds of games are the varied ensembles and how each character has their own self-derived reasons for being present. Sometimes the side stories are more personal, resonating stronger than the main 'save the world fight the biggest anime explosion laser battle with the power of trite rhetoric' plots. SoulCalibur is usually better about that than other series, especially in VI where every character has an individual Soul Chronicle (story mode) with only the loosest through-lines between them. I like to see the smaller plots and characters being given close to equal attention as those of the 'main' characters.

Heishiro Mitsurugi, hands down.

He's the series poster boy, but has an extremely minimal impact on the plot.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
I consider Mitsurugi to be the series mascot even if he's not important to the story, kinda like Overwatch w/ Tracer (or heck, even Ryu). The characters that the story revolves around varies by game but it's most commonly Siegfried/Nightmare.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game

SoulEdge: Taki, Sophitia and Siegfried
SoulCalibur: Xianghua (Main Protag) Kilik and Maxi (Supporting Protags)
SoulCalibur 2: Raphael
SoulCalibur 3: Siegfried
SoulCalibur 4: Siegfried
SoulCalibur 5: Pyrrah and Patrokolas
SoulCalibur 6: Kilik (Main Protag) Xianghua and Maxi (Supporting Protags)

Yeah this is kinda how I saw it. But mechanically, it seems like Namco treats Mitsurugi as the "Ryu" of the game -- the base against which a lot else is balanced.

I consider Mitsurugi to be the series mascot even if he's not important to the story, kinda like Overwatch w/ Tracer (or heck, even Ryu). The characters that the story revolves around varies by game but it's most commonly Siegfried/Nightmare.

This too.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It's Mitsurugi

he is the last vestige of sword combat in the dawn of the firearm

His sword is his soul and his soul is his sword

yeah

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why people see Mitsurugi as the mascot but really if we're talking mascots its definitely Nightmare, I mean the guy is the mascot for Project Soul even.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I always though Servantes was big part of the story..
He is, but as the antagonist. He was the main antagonist of Soul Blade, after all. After that though, he has been demoted to a secondary antagonist, mostly for Ivy's subplot. In that sense, he has a similar role to Asteroth.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mitsurugi is a generic samurai and doesnt deserve to be protagonist, even if he was relevant at all.

Maxi, Kilik, Xiaghua, and Siegfried are the real protags imo with Kilik even "passing the torch" to Xiba, who should have been 5's protagonist.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
It's either Kilik or Siegfried. They've been the mains of the most games if I'm not mistaken.

Nightmare and Mitsu are the icons of the series tho.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soul Edge it's Sophitia and Taki
Soul Calibur it's Xianghua, Killik and Maxi
Soul Calibur 2 didn't really have one
Soul Calibur 3 it's Siegfried
Soul Calibur 4 it's Siegfried
Soul Calibur 5 it's Patroklos
Soul Calibur 6 it's Xianghua, Killik and Maxi

Anyone who says Mitsurugi probably thinks Scorpion is the main protagonist of Mortal Kombat

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Siegfried/Nightmare is the main character of the series, nearly all of the key plot is focused on him.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Siegfried always felt like the centralizing character, with Kilik and Xianghau orbiting.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Mitsurugi since he's like the Ryu of the franchise (in terms of gameplay at least). I can see Kilik and co. being considered and Siegfried/Nightmare for 3 & 4. This is also making me think, does a fighting game franchise need a good character rivalry e.g. Street Fighter?