• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
john marston is great but cant match the motherfucking gravitas of arthur morgan.

one of the videogame greats, no doubt.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
John is great, but Arthur is just the best protagonist in any video game ever.
He just seems a pretty standard, regretful gunslinger who has a wonderfully tragic last arc. I don't think he's one of the best characters ever, maybe you could argue he's the most well acted in a game and I could see that. Some great voice acting in chapter 5.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
Johns great but what hes doing is realy because hes forced into that position. Arthur comes to terms with himself for who he is, what hes done and whats happening around him. Arthur is an all time great.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
The first Red Dead is one of my favourite games of all time - I was skeptical that the second could top it. Ultimately I think it does in almost every regard. But most of all is in narrative depth, and Arthur is front and center of that. One of the most layered and compelling protagonists I've ever seen in a video game.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Arthur interaction with the old dude with the prosthetic leg was one of the most wholesome thing I ever saw in anything. He had so much respect for him and how it ended. Arthur is cool man.

Jan 10, 2018
Arthur by far. One of my favorite side quest of this gen was when he met that widow in the forest. Such a well written character moment.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
On the whole I think RDR2 gives you a better journey with Arthur, but I have not personally experienced anything in a game that I thought was more earned than the climax of John's story in RDR.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I loved John but it's easily Arthur. Arthur really reaped benefits of hindsight throughout his development. I don't think Rockstar expected to make a RDR2 when they created John. I could see it being a lot closer if the games released chronologically.

Jul 24, 2018
Arthur
tumblr_pl02i1z07y1xwdxvfo1_r2_540.gifv

Last edited:

Themindkillah

Oct 30, 2017
Montreal
I've never cared more about a video game character than Arthur Morgan. The whole experience made me appreciate John even more too. The quality of the writing was simply on another level for RDR2. I'll never forget my time with the game.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I went in with the "John's my dude. Fuck this new guy" mentality but he really grew on me. I loved Arthur as a character. He was the perfect balance of being a piece of shit and also having some good inside him. It's hard to portrait a character that does bad things because he was dealt a shitty hand in life but they did a good job with that. I felt for the guy, and that's more than I can say for most video game protags

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Arthur by a long shot. He is very likable character who shows significant amount of development over the course of the game. I also like his sassy attitude especially towards the gang members. John was kinda plain. He was not entertaining.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Arthur Morgan by a huge margin, especially if you play him with high honor.
He's one of the few protagonists which really made a huge impressions on me.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Arthur and it's not close.

His death genuinely bummed me out in a way I possibly haven't felt for another game character.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Arthur. John is cool in concept but holy shit did he feel and act like a errand boy at times. Arthur at least protested to some things.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Arthur. I like John a lot too but I was fully invested in Arthur from the start.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
Compared to the rest of video game protagonists, Arthur is Daniel Day-Lewis in a sea of Channing Tatums and Josh Hartnetts.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Arthur. John is pretty charismatic in RDR, but Arthur is on another level. And Arthur's actor sells his posturing and dishonorable actions way better than John's. Arthur is just more funny, more intimidating, more ranged... more everything. And I loved John in RDR. Gonna echo many others ITT in declaring him my favorite video game protagonist (sorry Niko, we had a good run).

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when the narrative from RDR 2 trailers was that Artur was boring as fuck?

That didn't age well.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Any scenes someone can share that showcase Arthur's acting? Got the game for Christmas but can't be arsed to start it yet, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Arthur is incredible. Really just the scene near the end with the Nun cemented him as the best character I've seen in a long, long time

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I still remember the first screens of Arthur and we all thought he was just some generic corn fed white dude lmao

It's Arthur dude. He's possibly a top 3 all time video games.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arthur was amazing. Arthur is among the best written characters in gaming and amazing even by movie standards. I think many people played Red Dead 2 saying "I hope I can eventually play as John" but by the end many didnt necessarily want to stop being Arthur.