• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's The Best Not-Sherlock Holmes, But Totally Inspired By Sherlock Holmes?

• Dr. Gregory House

Votes: 356 45.2%
  • Bruce Wayne/Batman

Votes: 186 23.6%
  • Grand Admiral Thrawn

Votes: 30 3.8%
  • Adrian Monk

Votes: 103 13.1%
  • Spock

Votes: 38 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 71 9.0%
  • Columbo

Votes: 122 15.5%

• Total voters

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
There have been a lot of great Sherlock Holmes clones throughout the years. Some are blatant copies, others are a bit more subtle. I imagine that "other" vote will get used a lot.

These were a few of my favorites off the top of my head.

Dr. House (probably the most blatant copy, but still quite entertaining)
PxtQh2w.jpg

Bruce Wayne/Batman (when they actually let him be a detective)
f6Vpo7i.jpg

Grand Admiral Thrawn
lyztwgM.jpg

Adrian Monk
XYgPlXJ.jpg

Spock
XiHfDOK.jpg

Columbo
MFDIYDw.jpg

Last edited:

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Columbo has sussed the suspect just by smelling the murder scene and then spends the rest of the runtime watching all players scatter like rats, so I'm going for him. Even though you don't see his Watson, you know she's still at home ironing his sandwiches or in pieces in his freezer depending on what kind of person you think Columbo is.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Columbo has sussed the suspect just by smelling the murder scene and then spends the rest of the runtime watching all players scatter like rats, so I'm going for him. Even though you don't see his Watson, you know she's still at home ironing his sandwiches or in pieces in his freezer depending on what kind of person you think Columbo is.

Columbo instantly sprang to mind reading the title.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly feel silly for completely forgetting about Columbo, and added him to the poll since there was room.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

That is also how half the Holmes stories I've read go, so without having ever seen Columbo, I'm gonna go ahead and agree.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shawn Spencer and Burton Guster - Psych

Best modern relationship and dynamic between the eccentric detective and his more practical partner.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Imma go with Monk on this one. It's a shame we've never got a TV movie or something like Psych.

I still want the cross-over dammit.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between being a medical professional and just loving the show/character, I gotta go with House.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
house is such a weird flawed take on holmes, like the show is crap in so many ways and i probably am just being hypnotized by the magic of hugh laurie's otherworldliness but i fuckin love it

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Monk has most of the right elements there. The sidekick, the searching for clues and asking questions, he doesn't get along with people in a normal way. The stakes are kinda low in monk, but that tracks with the original stories.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
house is such a weird flawed take on holmes, like the show is crap in so many ways and i probably am just being hypnotized by the magic of hugh laurie's otherworldliness but i fuckin love it

I don't see how House is anymore a flawed take on the character than just about any other modern take on the character where they turn up the tactlessness to 11. He's honestly not that big of an asshole in the original novels, and that's something that's really bothered me about modern takes on the character. I need to watch Enola Holmes, because the trailers make it look like Cavill's take was much more subdued than we usually see.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
I don't see how House is anymore a flawed take on the character than just about any other modern take on the character where they turn up the tactlessness to 11. He's honestly not that big of an asshole in the original novels, and that's something that's really bothered me about modern takes on the character. I need to watch Enola Holmes, because the trailers make it look like Cavill's take was much more subdued than we usually see.
tbh i havent actually watched like any other holmes adaptations other than the downey jr. one so i dont have anything to compare it to

also i hadnt even read any sherlock holmes till just recently

but house is just straight up wrong most of the time, there are very few episodes where he actually obtains the omniscient foresight ive seen in holmes stories

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
tbh i havent actually watched like any other holmes adaptations other than the downey jr. one so i dont have anything to compare it to

also i hadnt even read any sherlock holmes till just recently

but house is just straight up wrong most of the time, there are very few episodes where he actually obtains the omniscient foresight ive seen in holmes stories

If you have any interest in the novels, Audible has a complete collection version read by Stephen Fry.

www.audible.com

Sherlock Holmes

Check out this great listen on Audible.com. "Fry's Holmes is crisp and high-handed, his Watson enthusiastic and bemused, and the rest of the narration colorful without being mannered. Have fun. Winner of AudioFile Earphones Award." (AudioFile magazine) "...it was reading the Sherloc...

And it still only costs 1 credit for 60+ hours.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Add Shinichi Kudo from Detective Conan to the list

5a35ccdfa3108bc89ada02c3.jpeg

Edit: Nice someone beat me to it!

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
71FfKejKDsL._SX402_.jpg

ENDEAVOUR_FILM1_-31-f535745.jpg

Detective Constable Morse. Watched six seasons of him on Amazon Prime and looking forward to more.

Megadragon15

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Sherlock Holmes a copy of C. Auguste Dupin? I feel reluctant to give Holmes credit as a model for anything.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Psych is the best. Shawn is certainly the best at noticing detail as compared to Holmes (even Batman needs a Bat-Computer to do it). His intelligence and physical fitness aren't the best, admittedly, but he's the most fun to watch solve crimes.

Batman's probably the closest to Holmes in terms of intelligence/physical skill though. Thrawn is probably the smartest person there though, he's fun because he's so above everything else most of the time. He's a villain who only loses if the hero's throw something utterly insane at him (and evil Sherlock Holmes is just a great concept, because he's clearly Holmes, not just Moriarty). Though I guess he died in Legends due to that age old plagued called hubris.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I've just started watching columbo for the first time lately (it's on imdb tv/amazon prime) and it really holds up. So he gets my vote. Oh and by the way, I love the structure of his show, where the viewer always knows who did it and the drama is all about how he'll solve the case.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

You kinda have a point, it's a middling TV drama with an incredible main character.