• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

When the pandemic began last March, grocery stores across the country were pressured into giving their workers, who were classified as essential, some better protections. There was extra "hazard pay," as well as paid sick leave and other benefits extended to part-time workers. But that all died around July, even as the COVID-19 pandemic continued (and continues) at record rates. Now, Amazon-owned Whole Foods — a chain that's continually shown its disregard for workers — is allegedly making things even worse by limiting paid breaks from 15 minutes to ten.

What an awful company. Seems they've gotten worse after Amazon bought them.

The reduction in break hours is the latest frustration for Whole Foods workers. Earlier this year they called for a "sick out" to demand better treatment and protection in the face of the pandemic after CEO John Mackey said workers should "donate" sick days to each other. A new dress code made some feel like the company was cracking down on "overall enjoyment." Amazon Prime shoppers are making it even harder for them to do their jobs. And of course Mackey recently said that if everyone ate more fruit we wouldn't need healthcare.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their HQ is here in Austin and I haven't heard a single promising thing about even the corporate/software/analyst end of that org. They cut back on significant benefits two years back IIRC.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder the CEO is a 10/10 capitalist clown and says outrageous shit all the time. Perfect sociopath partner for Bezos.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder the CEO is a 10/10 capitalist clown and says outrageous shit all the time. Perfect sociopath partner for Bezos.

Despite his garbage views, I believe Whole Foods had pretty good benefits back in the day (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Things started turning for the worse pretty quickly after Bezos bought them.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck? Might be enough to push me to drive the extra 10 mins to Wegmans instead.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
"Amazon Prime shoppers are making it even harder for them to do their jobs."

What's the story here? I know you can scan a code to get Prime sales prices, but is there something more?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

What's the story here? I know you can scan a code to get Prime sales prices, but is there something more?
I think it's the delivery service? Those are stocked by Whole Foods Team Members. So they're personal shoppers, in a sense.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Used to work for Whole Foods. An awful place that overworks its staff just like Amazon.

I quit a month into work lol

They actually wanted me to work after I got into a car crash. I had to tell them I had back pain lol

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's the delivery service? Those are stocked by Whole Foods Team Members. So they're personal shoppers, in a sense.

Ah. I remember working retail, and when "buy online, pick up in store" was growing and becoming a thing they wanted to push more, they actually made a small team of people whose only job would be to pick the items. I guess Whole Foods just uses whoever is available, then :/

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Corporate garbage can get fucked. There are people who put food on our tables like grocery store workers and there are people trying to take advantage and squeeze every drop of energy out of them to benefit nobody but themselves and their fucking investors, who can also get fucked for leaching out of other people's productivity. They can all get fucked as far as I'm concerned.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
WTF is a ten minute break? lmao

Guess I'll buy this cup of soup, wait in line... ... ... oh fuck, time to clock back in! I would barely be able to get to my car, listen to two songs, and return.

Absolute GARBAGE. One of the richest companies in this history of all mankind and god-forbid people get 15 minutes.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on your shift length. Federal Law requires a 30 minute break after 6 hours. Many places get around that by making shifts under 6 hours.

I worked at Burger King back in ~2004-2008, and yep, you got a 20(!) minute break if you worked six hours or more. Guess what? 90% of my shifts were 5.5 hours. Best part? I often closed, which meant we were scheduled for midnight (30 minutes after the 11:30 close), but almost ALWAYS worked till 12:30/12:40am to get everything cleaned up and ready for the morning crew. But then it was conveniently too late. When I brought it up, I was told I should just be faster shutting things down... which of course was impossible.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but this is the lowest common denominator only a morale killer. Management is really dumb.

No doubt but I imagine WF's upper management still believes that they are a top merchant to work for and this won't deter employees. Alternatively, maybe they are looking to shed some of the their more senior/longtime employees in hopes of bringing in some fresh blood at a lower starting salary.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
10 minutes is barely enough time to use the bathroom and get back to your station especially given the extra levels of covid prevention/hand washing etc that need to go on.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being a major proponent of organic food and plant-based diets while also rejecting the scientific consensus around climate change. John Mackey is a very stupid man.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
10 minutes is barely enough time to use the bathroom and get back to your station especially given the extra levels of covid prevention/hand washing etc that need to go on.
Their CEO basically told his employees to donate sick days to each others during the pandemic early days. Dude is godawful.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Whole Foods is without a doubt the worst job I've had. Sounds like it's gotten even worse since I left in 2016.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Part of this is just labor demands from the Prime stuff. All the grocery business is having to deal with the new, high intensive labor demands that come from shopping for their customers. They need to hire more staff, but hiring and retaining people is hard because the job is legit hard, even in places where the pay is decent. So they cut breaks to get more hours in for the talent they have.

Amazon's Whole Foods online/delivery grocery pickup experience is light years ahead of everyone else. It's super successful too-the Whole Foods where I get my pickup has changed dramatically over the last year, with huge parts of the storefront being dedicated to staging delievery and pickup orders.

Amazon/Whole Foods needs more automation so these workers can do more in the same amount of time and be more productive. Cutting hours is just going to drive down employee retention and their business requires more and more training than it did in the past, so that attrition is costly.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
remember, their CEO john mackey once compared unions to herpes. he's extremely anti-labor.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being a major proponent of organic food and plant-based diets while also rejecting the scientific consensus around climate change. John Mackey is a very stupid man.
He's a wacky guy. He's a Venn diagram of extreme nutritionism (a view that diet cures all health ills) and libertarian ideals.

Diet is definitely important, but he misses systemic things like poverty (many can't even afford his shit), food insecurity, and medical conditions that have nothing to do with diet. I'm a big fan of St. Jude and they're one of my fav charities, but diet isn't the reason those poor kids have terminal illnesses.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this illegal? Most jobs I've had made us take the two 15 minute paid breaks and 30 minute unpaid lunch. I didn't think a company could take that away.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017

i used to work as a shopper. we were in store walking around like grocery shoppers except we were required to do everything we could to get the right items without making any substitutions. the thing is, stock can vary wildly per day. if we couldn't find an item, we had to ask and get confirmation that the item was not in stock from a whole foods employee. that could prevent them from doing what they were in the middle of.
there were so many ways the entire system could bottleneck preventing orders from going out on time and annoying just about everyone in store, customers and employees

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
i used to work as a shopper. we were in store walking around like grocery shoppers except we were required to do everything we could to get the right items without making any substitutions. the thing is, stock can vary wildly per day. if we couldn't find an item, we had to ask and get confirmation that the item was not in stock from a whole foods employee. that could prevent them from doing what they were in the middle of.
there were so many ways the entire system could bottleneck preventing orders from going out on time and annoying just about everyone in store, customers and employees

Sounds like the system didn't work too well :/ I've ordered Costco orders via Instacart through the year, and as a partnered 3rd party service, normally if something wasn't in stock, they would just cancel and refund you. The site lets you make a substitute if they don't have it in before the picking starts, but to make it easy they just cancel+refund if it's not there. Sounds like they worked it out smoother.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Part of this is just labor demands from the Prime stuff. All the grocery business is having to deal with the new, high intensive labor demands that come from shopping for their customers. They need to hire more staff, but hiring and retaining people is hard because the job is legit hard, even in places where the pay is decent. So they cut breaks to get more hours in for the talent they have.
No, you've got it wrong. They don't want to hire and they've been doing everything they can to get margins higher since the buyout. One of the Amazon corporate mottos is "frugality" and they've been trying to impart this on Whole Foods leadership for a couple years now. Cutting benefits, cutting wage increases (both in per cent and frequency), cutting labor budgets every few months, it's all on purpose to make Whole Foods more profitable. They also switched the company from manual scheduling to using an app that would generate schedules and frequently leave large gaps in coverage. They tasked their customer service teams, with no extra money toward labor, to do the Amazon shopping and prioritize it over whatever is happening in the store.

The store I worked at was literally not allowed to hire for nearly a calendar year because regional kept telling us that we were over labor budget, even as the team I was on kept dwindling to the point where we couldn't comfortably staff normal business hours.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used to work in a grocery store, even 15 minutes wasn't nearly enough.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We bought some meat there over Christmas and the woman at the help desk said there were over one hundred and fifty primer shoppers in the market.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
As someone who used to work in a grocery store, even 15 minutes wasn't nearly enough.
Yup, I worked 3 months as a register clerk in a tourist town that was under staffed and had me working courtesy clerk double duty, working nights when I had tried to request otherwise due to my health issues, and had me do closing shift as senior clerk my second week on the job with the other guy who was newer than me. I said I left for health reasons but a week before I quit I had a full emotional breakdown on my day off while I was dealing with a medical appointment the town over. Oh and it was technically only part time of course.
(Still better than my next job which was full time and had me a week away from a nervous breakdown when I resigned)

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
What a shitty thing to do. I worked for whole foods in 2005 and loved it, almost exclusively cause there was a diverse staff and everyone had "fun". It was a neat place to work.

Reading the way warehouse/fulfillment center workers are treated is gross. They don't even have enough time to make it to the bathroom on their breaks and piss in Gatorade bottles.

Whole paycheck is never gonna get my business again. Haven't been in years but this seals it for me. How fucking petty to reduce breaks by 5 minutes

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I worked 3 months as a register clerk in a tourist town that was under staffed and had me working courtesy clerk double duty, working nights when I had tried to request otherwise due to my health issues, and had me do closing shift as senior clerk my second week on the job with the other guy who was newer than me. I said I left for health reasons but a week before I quit I had a full emotional breakdown on my day off while I was dealing with a medical appointment the town over. Oh and it was technically only part time of course.
(Still better than my next job which was full time and had me a week away from a nervous breakdown when I resigned)

Yeah being understaffed and busy is just a nightmare. Just insane what they expect of you all while paying you practically pennies (at least that place I worked at was cheap with pay).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah being understaffed and busy is just a nightmare. Just insane what they expect of you all while paying you practically pennies (at least that place I worked at was cheap with pay).
Yup plus I've discovered that while I seem friendly and can handle people I don't have the stamina for front facing people jobs unless it's balanced with remote alone time, like my first job out of college, Ski Lift operator... I really need a quiet office job and my first bachelors has been useless, hopefully accounting pans out

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yup plus I've discovered that while I seem friendly and can handle people I don't have the stamina for front facing people jobs unless it's balanced with remote alone time, like my first job out of college, Ski Lift operator... I really need a quiet office job and my first bachelors has been useless, hopefully accounting pans out

Wish you the best! Hope you find success in that field, accounting seems like a good gig from people I knew who went into it.