• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was actually found a while back, but has been private till now:

Whole lot of neat stuff in here, including the rolling balls from GHZ, footage of Sonic's end of level animation, and a very sped up Robotnik boss music, UFOs in marble zone, spinning spikes in Spring Yard Zone, no drowning music, entirely different special stage layouts, etc.

Lots of other early Sega prototype footage, too, like Streets of Rage.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Note how the GHZ background is slightly different. Also note how they call Sonic "Sky blue" which he originally was, despite being cobalt by this build.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
My heart skipped a beat when I read that thread title, I thought the lost protos had finally been found and dumped for a second there!

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The streets of Rage changes, holy crap! Axel was called Hawk, Adam was called Wolf. Pine Pot was called Time Out!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I need a hack that re-injects sonic's victory animation while jumping at the end of acts.
Why was this removed in the final build?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need a hack that re-injects sonic's victory animation while jumping at the end of acts.
Why was this removed in the final build?

several hacks like that exist, you can get them very easily on Steam using Steam Workshop with the version of Sonic 1 on Steam.

It looks like the sideways spikes in marble zone after pushing the block are missing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there also appears to be a part in spring yard zone after the rotating spikes where there are 3 bumpers overlapping each other, don't think I ever saw that in the final version.

The shield in Labyrinth Zone is replaced by a ring monitor.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Whoa, nice find!

Those "Y. Signal"-type enemies look completely different in the prototype version of SOR.

Also, I love how they just slapped an arranged version of Golden Axe's "Wilderness" on SOR's opening crawl for this promo. I suppose Yuzo's track wasn't ready yet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, nice find!

Those "Y. Signal"-type enemies look completely different in the prototype version of SOR.

Also, I love how they just slapped an arranged version of Golden Axe's "Wilderness" on SOR's opening crawl for this promo. I suppose Yuzo's track wasn't ready yet.

That's from the SST band's live performance

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I actually bought Wrestle War because Mean Machines magazine gave it a pretty positive review. Talk about buyer's remorse!

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Beta Signal on BK1 and you can see that they need to fix some stuff like blaze changing sides or the camera with two players.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More:

Not sonic, but other games. First glance, the Game Gear Monster World II title screen is different.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
and a very sped up Robotnik boss music

I think this is just the tempo being increased globally from speed shoes since all the music, including Green Hill and the stage clear jingle in Act 3 are also faster. Maybe they hadn't yet implemented tempo being restored after the speed effect wears off.

Also interesting how the snare sample is pitched lower. Now you can actually hear the native pitch of the drum machine it was sourced from (Roland TR-626). Maybe the sample was sped up in the final game after an optimization pass to conserve space.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This pattern in the final version of Sonic 1 is not found in this beta footage:

VIch1jD.jpg

and the opposite:

raFwtTe.png

This pattern of titles in the beta is never seen in the final.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
This pattern in the final version of Sonic 1 is not found in this beta footage:

VIch1jD.jpg

and the opposite:

raFwtTe.png

This pattern of titles in the beta is never seen in the final.

The final version has a lot more obvious tiling seams in them. That makes it pretty easy to deduce that it was a late effort to cut down on the amount of unique tiles used. There's also those much earlier (earlier than this footage) screens of Marble Zone where you can see that the lava artwork is a lot more elaborate with edge graphics that match the layout patterns. It's pretty obvious that would have needed many more unique tiles than the more simplified style you see in the final game.

2ny7D0P.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The final version has a lot more obvious tiling seams in them. That makes it pretty easy to deduce that it was a late effort to cut down on the amount of unique tiles used.

They're actually the same patterns, I can spot every tile in the footage, just arranged differently. The entire background is rearranged, waterfalls where there weren't prior and such. The title screen in particular exhibits lots of changes because of this. The part I circled in the beta is just the same couple of tiles mirrored back to back, and you can see them in the same screenshot of the final footage I showed above on the far left, it's just that you never see them mirrored in that pattern in the final.

It was known for a long time that they had continously tweaked the background pattern table in GHZ, though.

There's also those much earlier (earlier than this footage) screens of Marble Zone where you can see that the lava artwork is a lot more elaborate with edge graphics that match the layout patterns. It's pretty obvious that would have needed many more unique tiles than the more simplified style you see in the final game.

2ny7D0P.jpg

This is almost certainly a mock up and was probably never part of the actual game.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the whole video in OP yet, but this is really cool!

It's so weird to me to see Sonic jump that way after the stage ends, lol. It's weird how you "switch sides" after a grab in Streets of Rage, too. It seems like you don't just like... "fulcrum" over them (I'm not sure if I'm using that word right, lol). Seems like Blaze is just cartwheeling behind them. Not sure which I think is cooler...

Throws are a lot shorter too. Doesn't look like you can "recover" from those like you can in the final game with UP+Jump.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome - I remember seeing 'Time Out' from Sega Visions back in the day

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Toejam and Earl build from the second video looks pretty final, I couldn't notice any differences off the top of my head.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So was the rolling ball originally meant to be a subtle teaching moment like the first Mario Goomba to teach you ball physics on slopes? Possibly removed since people jumped over it in testing or something? Also it was not just the boss music that was speed up it was the victory theme as well and boss music did not cut on defeat maybe just a glitch in the build?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Not to derail, but that video reminded me that Wrestle War never appeared in the U.S.

Was it ever released elsewhere? And if so why the hell has it never been put on the billion Genesis Collections that have been released?!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to derail, but that video reminded me that Wrestle War never appeared in the U.S.

Was it ever released elsewhere? And if so why the hell has it never been put on the billion Genesis Collections that have been released?!
Aside from Japan, it had a PAL release on MD, and showed up later in the DC Sega Smash Pack compilation.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Came for Sonic, but stayed for the Streets of Rage footage. It's really cool seeing how different the enemy types could have been.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also interesting how the snare sample is pitched lower. Now you can actually hear the native pitch of the drum machine it was sourced from (Roland TR-626). Maybe the sample was sped up in the final game after an optimization pass to conserve space.

Clownacy explains:

Sonic 1's drums are also used in Golden Axe II. In fact, they share the same sound engine - the one we know as 'SMPS 68k Type 1b' (though, Golden Axe II might use Type 1a - I'm not sure). Sega just liked reusing stuff, I guess.

I suppose, while I'm here, I should reiterate why all this prototype footage has lower-pitched drums: as I already said, the sound engine isn't specific to Sonic 1 - it's used by a whole range of Mega Drive/Genesis games, and even some Game Gear, Master System, Mega CD, 32X, Sega Pico, and arcade games.

Sonic 1 features a heavily-modified version of this sound engine, whereas Golden Axe II presumably does not - this is why its drums match Sonic 1's prototypes, which date back to before Sonic Team made the modification that changed their pitch.

What was this change? Well, it was the addition of the 'Say-gaa' chant: to implement it, the part of the engine that handled sample playback was rewritten, and, in the process, they made it faster. By making the code faster, they made the sample playback faster too. Either the devs forgot to adjust each sample's delay value to make them play at their original speed with the newer code, or they figured they just liked the drums better this way.

What's interesting is that this footage, despite showing a very late version of the game, shows that the modification (and thus the addition of the 'Say-gaa' chant) had not been made yet. This supports an old bit of info I heard a while ago that I can't find a source for, which claims that the chant was indeed a last-minute addition to the game, and intended to fill up the unused space on the cartridge that was meant for planned features which ultimately didn't get implemented (I believe what I read was that this cartridge space was originally meant for a fancy sound test menu involving Sonic and his band, but this is all just hearsay so don't quote me on it. Remember to cite your sources, kids!).

forums.sonicretro.org

That new prototype footage of Sonic 1 going around...

The MUCH shorter drowning time would also go a long way to explaining why Labyrinth has so many air bubble generators in close proximity to each other,...

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Map of the beta special stage has been pieced together using this footage, plus earlier screenshots from magazines:

wyjc1g6.png

Example of how this map was pieced together:

vuXOYiX.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More videos:

Lots of good stuff here. The Jewel Master footage has lots and lots of small differences, but the star of the show is the footage of the never-released Genesis version of Ninja Gaiden (arcade port). The beta floating around is much, much earlier than the footage shown.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The streets of Rage changes, holy crap! Axel was called Hawk, Adam was called Wolf. Pine Pot was called Time Out!
fightingforce.fandom.com

Hawk Manson

Hawk Manson is one of the 4 main characters from Fighting Force and is the main character in Fighting Force 2. A vigilante now, Hawk Manson was once a freedom fighter for all the social wrongs in the world. Hawk learned the lesson that nice guys finish last. He has ran into Mace several times...
;)

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fightingforce.fandom.com

Hawk Manson

Hawk Manson is one of the 4 main characters from Fighting Force and is the main character in Fighting Force 2. A vigilante now, Hawk Manson was once a freedom fighter for all the social wrongs in the world. Hawk learned the lesson that nice guys finish last. He has ran into Mace several times...
;)

Hawk is also the protagonist of Riot City, a sega arcade game whose main character looks very, very much like Axel.

n56yKXb.jpg

Riot City predates Bare Knuckle.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hawk is also the protagonist of Riot City, a sega arcade game whose main character looks very, very much like Axel.

n56yKXb.jpg
Yup, it's kinda funny how "not axel" has a history of being named hawk. I wonder what the dudes name in fighting force would have been if they kept it hawk in SoR