• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
lol, had you not said something I wouldn't have know that image was special! I had to zoom in and then I think I see what is different. When I zoom back out it looks normal.
I wonder if CA affects people depending on how good their vision is....the thought just occured to me. How good is your eyesight if you don't mind me asking?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I like Chromatic Aberration. :D

Bloodborne and A Plague Tale look beautiful to me.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
qjCl7Ke.jpg
its fucking offensive

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I started plague tale yesterday and didn't know why it looked so bad, so I finally went through settings and realized it had a toggle for that. Looks a million times better now

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Inaccurate. More like you'll have to go into the notepad settings (if PC) to turn it off. More RECENT games might've STARTED to allow this to be toggled, but trust me when I say it hasnt always been something you CAN turn off or on without some outside tampering. And SOME games it only works for menus
Can't speak for PC games, but trust me when I say most console game have the option to turn it off since a while. I'm currently replaying the evil within 2, which is couple of years old now and even that has a simple toggle in the option to turn it off.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
The sad thing is someone had to prepare a mod just to disable it for NFS Heat. Damn shame

This is what it looks like with off:
EBSWP.png

And with it on:
EBTpI.png

Its easier to tell if you look at the streets and the HUD

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is someone had to prepare a mod just to disable it for NFS Heat. Damn shame

EBSWP.png

And with it on:
EBTpI.png

I generally like CA when it is applied tastefully and in this case it makes an otherwise flat looking game have little more character, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
From my perspective those two pics look the same (outside of one has railing in it, the shadows are different etc). Had you swapped them and lied I probably would have believed you.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
It's weird to me that game developers even want this stuff in their game. Take A Plague Tale: Innocence for example. On PC you can use .ini edits to remove the chromatic aberration, vignette, film grain, lens distortion, lens flare, and lens dirt. Underneath all that is a really good-looking video game. What's the point of piling all that slop on top? I find it hard to believe that the game's artists want their work to be viewed through a dirty distorted lens.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, it's terrible. It ruins the art direction and some games it makes my eyes hurt if the effect is strong enough. I couldn't play Bloodborne for extended periods because of it.

Oct 25, 2017

EBSWP.png

And with it on:
EBTpI.png

I think certain people are just really sensitive to it, because I honestly can't tell the difference, other than the bottom picture looking a little darker.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
It's weird to me that game developers even want this stuff in their game. Take A Plague Tale: Innocence for example. On PC you can use .ini edits to remove the chromatic aberration, vignette, film grain, lens distortion, lens flare, and lens dirt. Underneath all that is a really good-looking video game. What's the point of piling all that slop on top? I find it hard to believe that the game's artists want their work to be viewed through a dirty, distorted lens.
I mean, being somewhat of an artist myself I can understand why someone wants things the way they want them....but MY issue is for something that is to be consumed by a lot of people like a video game, and you utilizing visual filters to create a desired effect...you don't HAVE to NOT have them if you feel it will compromise your vision of the game, but give us the OPTION to turn all that off so we can customize OUR experience with it

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Chromatic aberration hurts my eyes. Really wish people wouldn't use it, or at least have it turn off-able

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it works, but most of the time it's not great. Honestly, let's just stop simulating camera lens imperfections entirely. The Witcher 3 is one of the worst offenders of this, when you look at the sun and the screen is suddenly COVERED in dirt.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Liked it in Bloodborne. Added to the game's dreamlike aesthetic.
Like others mentioned, certain people must be sensitive to it. Loved Bloodborne so much I platinum'd it and the DLC, but goddamn it felt like my eyes had ran a marathon after I finished playing it for a few hours each time

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Chromatic aberration is often used as a shortcut for dirtying up and realisming CG imagery, which tend to look clean and artificial on account of being artificial.

It can be effective for basically three things.
Conveying a certain state, be it taking damage, the player character being under the influence, a robot, or a robot under the influence.
Applied to specific elements within a scene, such as monitors, to make them appear more monitory.
Or if applied very carefully as to where it's barely noticeable. If you notice the color distortion, the game's just instantly more artificial and gross looking.

If dialed up above 3/10, applied full-screen and/or constantly always on, it always looks some degree of terrible, possibly causing mild eyestrain, headache or nausea. It is the worst post-processing effect ever by a landslide. There should always be a toggle and if there is I always turn it off.

The first time I noticed it was in Payday 2, where I thought I'd accidentally turned on some kind of 3D mode and was confused as to why it looked like ancient 3D without the red/blue glasses. It's probably still the worst implementation. It was kind of like how low quality ambient occlusion used to create weird black shadow halos around objects, only in Payday 2 it's color distortion that makes the game look like god awful Satan hell.
PS4_000.bmp

Another thing about it is that while it tends to be most noticeable around edges of objects, chromatic aberration is often applied across the whole screen, changing the look of everything, making all textures have this lowkey horrible blue-red filter. It shifting colors around and arranging them into these sort of overlapping semitransparent lines is what causes games to look like blurry, fuzzy, smeary unfocused messes. Looking at images of games with CA enabled often creates a feeling of it being physically unpleasant, at least for me, because it does make it harder to focus your eyes, or some such. It's almost always actively irritating and ugly. At best.

I don't like it.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Chromatic aberration is often used as a shortcut for dirtying up and realisming CG imagery, which tend to look clean and artificial on account of being artificial.

It can be effective for basically three things.
Conveying a certain state, be it taking damage, the player character being under the influence, a robot, or a robot under the influence.
Applied to specific elements within a scene, such as monitors, to make them appear more monitory.
Or if applied very carefully as to where it's barely noticeable. If you notice the color distortion, the game's just instantly more artificial and gross looking.

If dialed up above 3/10, applied full-screen and/or constantly always on, it always looks some degree of terrible, possibly causing mild eyestrain, headache or nausea. It is the worst post-processing effect ever by a landslide. There should always be a toggle and if there is I always turn it off.

The first time I noticed it was in Payday 2, where I thought I'd accidentally turned on some kind of 3D mode and was confused as to why it looked like ancient 3D without the red/blue glasses. It's probably still the worst implementation. It was kind of like how low quality ambient occlusion used to create weird black shadow halos around objects, only in Payday 2 it's color distortion that makes the game look like god awful Satan hell.
PS4_000.bmp

Another thing about it is that while it tends to be most noticeable around edges of objects, chromatic aberration is often applied across the whole screen, changing the look of everything, making all textures have this lowkey horrible blue-red filter. It shifting colors around and arranging them into these sort of overlapping semitransparent lines is what causes games to look like blurry, fuzzy, smeary unfocused messes. Looking at images of games with CA enabled often creates a feeling of it being physically unpleasant, at least for me, because it does make it harder to focus your eyes, or some such. It's almost always actively irritating and ugly. At best.

I don't like it.
Well said and totally agree. Also, this image is cancer

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
It works in some games when they use it for atmosphere (like Bloodborne), but generally yes, I prefer it to be very minimal if used and an option to turn it off should always be there

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Like others mentioned, certain people must be sensitive to it. Loved Bloodborne so much I platinum'd it and the DLC, but goddamn it felt like my eyes had ran a marathon after I finished playing it for a few hours

Personally, the frame pacing/infrequent stutter bothered me way more than the CA. An option to disable those sort effects would be nice though.

Like how some games let you disable the screen run shake. Now that travesty is the worst thing ever created in games and I'm not even someone who gets FPS sickness.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to tell the difference in the screenshots or what is wrong with the Payday 2 one so I guess I'm lucky.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's enhanced some games for me this gen,Bloodborne and Dying Light come to mind.It doesn't need to be in every game though and you should have the option to turn it off.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone what tell people who don't know what chromatic whatever is what it is?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think certain people are just really sensitive to it, because I honestly can't tell the difference, other than the bottom picture looking a little darker.
As someone who can clearly tell what CA is, yeah that's a bad comparison pic that doesn't really highlight it at all imo

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes it works, but most of the time it's not great. Honestly, let's just stop simulating camera lens imperfections entirely. The Witcher 3 is one of the worst offenders of this, when you look at the sun and the screen is suddenly COVERED in dirt.
Witcher universe is so filthy that even the sun throws dirt in your face

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I once bought some glasses for about £300 like a fool. They came with built-in chromatic aberration.

I had to explain it to the manager for about half an hour before they agreed to put in some good quality lenses. They didn't think I should be able to notice and were highly suspicious for some reason.

What the actual fuck, specsavers.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
People on here: Difficulty should be left up to game developers. If they want to make their games as difficult and inaccessible to everyone as Sekiro they should be allowed to!

Counterpoint: give us easy option

Era: No.

Also people on here: (about the same concept of creative freedom) Whatever game developers choose to want to include chromatic aberration should be taken out back and shot. Give us option to disable it.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I once bought some glasses for about £300 like a fool. They came with built-in chromatic aberration.

I had to explain it to the manager for about half an hour before they agreed to put in some good quality lenses. They didn't think I should be able to notice and were highly suspicious for some reason.

What the actual fuck, specsavers.
Wait....what??

I haven't worn glasses since the 10th grade but...they actually make this??

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Signed.

Chromatic Aberration is what it is, a fucking aberration to the eye. It just ruins any picture it touches. It adds absolutely nothing, nothing, except some fucking noise on the screen. It's just some anti-IQ garbage that should ALWAYS be a removable option.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
People on here: Difficulty should be left up to game developers. If they want to make their games as difficult and inaccessible to everyone as Sekiro they should be allowed to!

Also people on here: (about the same concept of creative freedom) Whatever game developers choose to want to include chromatic aberration should be taken out back and shot.
There's a difference though. CA can negatively affect a person's HEALTH if the effect is strong enough/the person is sensitive enough to it. Difficulty is well, difficulty.

Just like how they give warning about epilepsy and such and have stuff in games to tone it down...all I'm asking for is for CA to be toggle-able cause I don't want headaches. Sucks for people that experience harsher symptoms like nausea...but something like this really should be considered. Artistic freedom or not, this can affect the health of people that are consuming your product

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Wait....what??

I haven't worn glasses since the 10th grade but...they actually make this??

I didn't mean that it was an intended feature, sorry haha. But the lenses were cheap plasticky ones that resulted in chromatic abberation, despite the high cost.

I see quite well already but wanted a pair for perfect vision, as a backup when driving or sight seeing. So they were to appreciate the finer details in things like tree leaves etc. But that's where the CA showed up. Drove me mad.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Chromatic Aberration is the modern gaming equivalent of the excessive bloom of last gen.

Just as with bloom, the effect it's necessarily bad, but over using it, or using it poorly is an eyesore and will be looked back on as such in the future.

I don't think bloom causes physical discomfort to nearly the same degree so it's not really comparable.