• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
So, purely out of curiosity I've looked for some Resident Evil-related comics and found out that alongside with "from meh to pure trash" comics series by WildStorm and one promo one-shot by (who could thought) Marvel, a Hong Kong-based company Tinhangse Publishing released four manhua series based on Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (two series), Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil Code: Veronica by Lee Chung Hing and Hui King Sum somewhere around 2000s, and more of that the latter one was even translated and published by WildStorm in 2002. In short, this particular manhua is a "somewhat loose, somewhat word-to-word" game adaptation, so I'm not going to retell it completely here, just list some of the most weird moments.

Let's begin with front cover art. For some weird reason WildStorm's edition are using off-putting and confusing 3D artwork…
image.jpg

… while the original Hong Kong release had pretty cool looking artwork.

As for overall visuals quality, the manhua uses weirdly unique semi-anime semi-realistic art. And if some characters including Claire, Steve, Alfred and Alexia more or less recongnizable…

… Chris on the other hand looks weirdly long-faced. Who said that "Redfield" from Resident Evil 7 looks like asian?

Sometimes the artstyle changes into even more photorealistic drawing, mostly for extra dramatic effect.

And of course I couldn't resist and include this. Also, it's just me, or their mouths looks misplaced or uncanny distorted? Also, "PHAM PHAM PHAM"!

Since it's an adaptation, some iconic moments from the original game were recreated in the manhua almost frame-by-frame…

… and some of them (like in-game backtracking) were recreated too literally.

As for action sequences, characters are now able to demonstrate the wonder of acrobatics and some other unintentionally hiarious and dumb stuff. Complete with cheesy one-liners.

But even this can't be over-the-top than close quarter combat action sequences. And if you think that Claire and Steve kicking monster's ass is absurd…

… then how about Chris beating the seven shades out of monsters in berserk mode?

As for other changes, there's also a weird moment with zombie Claire, that comes from nowhere and leads to nothing.

Also, after getting to Antarctic base, Claire gets poisoned by a moth, so Steve heads off in a search of blue herb to save her.

And unlike in the original game, Steve not only gets infected by T-Veronica in front of Claire, but also manages to resist the changes for a moment and even try to kill Alexia by himself.

And that's it, I guess? The rest of this manhua more or less loosely follows the original plot in it's usual over-the-top way, so let's stop there. Overall, this manhua was quite amusing to read, it has nice visuals and it's overall silliness can give you a lot of chuckles. And in the end I say one thing: you won't believe me, but if this particular manhua is somewhat "sane", then the other ones (especially "based" on Resident Evil Zero) totally lost their marbles.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf I remember my highschool library carrying these. Still confused by the superhuman red-eyed Chris to this day.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Wow those one liners are so cringey. The fighting and kicking is surprisingly over the top, they really went all out.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
My favourite is RE2 and RE3 manhua.

RE3 literally had a senior Umbrella executive who's just called "Boss" who is like a super badass who's completely unfazed in front of Nemesis and William Birkin fighting.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That backtracking with the item puzzle cracked me up

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My favourite is RE2 and RE3 manhua.

RE3 literally had a senior Umbrella executive who's just called "Boss" who is like a super badass who's completely unfazed in front of Nemesis and William Birkin fighting.

I remember there's even a crossover with Street Fighter, where M Bison purchase the T virus and experiment on Barlog, Vega and Sagat

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Wtf I remember my highschool library carrying these. Still confused by the superhuman red-eyed Chris to this day.

Basically within the story of these 'adaptions', there are a few moments where characters like Chris and Leon get infected by the virus for a short while, and instead of only turning them into a time-bomb of 'shit if I don't cure this I become a zombie', during that time they also gain (even) more superhuman powers that allow them to basically fight Mr.X-class enemies in a fist fight.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
So, head up. If you want more Kungfu vs. Zombies shennanigan, there is a series on Netflix right now, called Kingdom.

Set in Korea's medieval Joseon period, it tells the story of a prince who embarks upon a dangerous mission to investigate a mysterious plague spreading across his country. The truth threatens the kingdom when he discovers that it is an atrocious epidemic in the form of zombies

Aug 26, 2018
日本
So, purely out of curiosity I've looked for some Resident Evil-related comics and found out that alongside with "from meh to pure trash" comics series by WildStorm and one promo one-shot by (who could thought) Marvel, a Hong Kong-based company Tinhangse Publishing released four manhua series based on Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (two series), Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil Code: Veronica by Lee Chung Hing and Hui King Sum somewhere around 2000s, and more of that the latter one was even translated and published by WildStorm in 2002. In short, this particular manhua is a "somewhat loose, somewhat word-to-word" game adaptation, so I'm not going to retell it completely here, just list some of the most weird moments.

Let's begin with front cover art. For some weird reason WildStorm's edition are using off-putting and confusing 3D artwork…

… while the original Hong Kong release had pretty cool looking artwork.

As for overall visuals quality, the manhua uses weirdly unique semi-anime semi-realistic art. And if some characters including Claire, Steve, Alfred and Alexia more or less recongnizable…

… Chris on the other hand looks weirdly long-faced. Who said that "Redfield" from Resident Evil 7 looks like asian?

Sometimes the artstyle changes into even more photorealistic drawing, mostly for extra dramatic effect.

And of course I couldn't resist and include this. Also, it's just me, or their mouths looks misplaced or uncanny distorted? Also, "PHAM PHAM PHAM"!

Since it's an adaptation, some iconic moments from the original game were recreated in the manhua almost frame-by-frame…

… and some of them (like in-game backtracking) were recreated too literally.

As for action sequences, characters are now able to demonstrate the wonder of acrobatics and some other unintentionally hiarious and dumb stuff. Complete with cheesy one-liners.

But even this can't be over-the-top than close quarter combat action sequences. And if you think that Claire and Steve kicking monster's ass is absurd…

… then how about Chris beating the seven shades out of monsters in berserk mode?

As for other changes, there's also a weird moment with zombie Claire, that comes from nowhere and leads to nothing.

Also, after getting to Antarctic base, Claire gets poisoned by a moth, so Steve heads off in a search of blue herb to save her.

And unlike in the original game, Steve not only gets infected by T-Veronica in front of Claire, but also manages to resist the changes for a moment and even try to kill Alexia by himself.

And that's it, I guess? The rest of this manhua more or less loosely follows the original plot in it's usual over-the-top way, so let's stop there. Overall, this manhua was quite amusing to read, it has nice visuals and it's overall silliness can give you a lot of chuckles. And in the end I say one thing: you won't believe me, but if this particular manhua is somewhat "sane", then the other ones (especially "based" on Resident Evil Zero) totally lost their marbles.
Rare shocking image of Super Saiyan Leon punching through Tofu.
latest
Where has this been all my life? lol

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they really capture everything about resident evil, right down to clairvoyantly preparing all for future action, zombie punching fuckery like Resident Evil 6.

Nothing tops backtracking key item puzzles in comic form.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing scans of these in Resident Evil fan sites nearly 20 years ago. It's been so long..........

I think there was a decently drawn short Resident Evil 1 adaptation, but I don't remember where it was from. Probably by Wildstorm too?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait what? How have I never heard of this

they injected a lot of bs back

They also did Leon vs Chris before RE6

10070437_468737.jpg

Also Licker vs Dinosaur
4b7945ca35c3f.jpg

And Chris Redfield in a shady organisation to take down Umbrella
10070434_588703.jpg

This organisation includes the surviving STARS teams and Leon and some original characters
fjax-5iJbdK2cfXbuFs2VfBrCEO.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember those. Also the Tekken 3 manhua where Heihachi apparently knew hadouken and used them against Ogre.

OP
OP
AVtechNICK

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
Seeing a lack of Wesker dude was basically a anime character in game unsure how mad he been in these books
Sadly, Wesker's appearance in this comic is seriously underwhelming. His first meeting and fight with Chris takes a lot much time than in the game, but there's nothing special about it, just grabs and punches with unimaginative lines like "What's wrong, Chris, did I make you bleed? I'm faster and stronger, now die!".

I think there was a decently drawn short Resident Evil 1 adaptation, but I don't remember where it was from. Probably by Wildstorm too?
There was a prologue one-shot by Marvel Comics that casually spoiled the one of the key story points and one issue of Resident Evil Official Magazine by WildStorm that briefly retelled the events of RE1 and RE2 before jumping to random non-canon stories.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now I never read these Street fighter or King of Fighters manhua but I bet they get way wackier than these RE comics.

I mean, look at this!

DdCh7PWVMAAi1rS.jpg

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Looks like Steve was injecting some steroids alongside the T-Veronica serum.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Sadly, Wesker's appearance in this comic is seriously underwhelming. His first meeting and fight with Chris takes a lot much time than in the game, but there's nothing special about it, just grabs and punches with unimaginative lines like "What's wrong, Chris, did I make you bleed? I'm faster and stronger, now die!".

That's pretty weak no crazy fight in artic or fighting alexia at the staircase

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I remember RE3 manhua Nemesis have a sad backstory, and unlike the game, in final battle scene Nemesis just slowly climb to the rail cannon(=asking Jill just kill him).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"One shot, many kills: the domino theory at work" may be the best worst thing ever. :D

Besides that, the literal adaptation of every single of the game's details and mechanics, and the constant monologuing (because in the games you're mostly alone) is what makes it feel so amateur, I think. Imagine this author adapting a Metroid game, it would make Other M Samus feel like a mute.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with these manhuas is they usually started out well, but start to diverge into nonsensical around quarter of the series.

I bought the first issue of Resident Evil because they included a Raccoon City PD patch that I ironed on a cap.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Ah, the Biohazard manhuas. Some of them get super weird.

They also get... uncomfortable.
dLKOUYU.png

WiMImNH.png

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with these manhuas is they usually started out well, but start to diverge into nonsensical around quarter of the series.

I bought the first issue of Resident Evil because they included a Raccoon City PD patch that I ironed on a cap.
Well yeah, I remember RE2 end up completely BS lol.
But I pretty like RE3, it actually balanced the original game and "creative" part.