• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

This footage is mind blowing, considering how precious-little footage there is of Chicago Summer CES each year. Sure, there's some, but not enough.

I just felt that 'Neo Geo Envy' that I felt in early 1991 when I knew the AES would soon be available for $500-$600 ($649).

Oh maaaaaaaaaaan.....

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I always wanted a Neo Geo back then. I used to play a Neo Geo MVS at a local video store and the idea of having something that powerful at home seemed so futuristic.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Always wanted one as well. I still think about getting one or a CDZ.

chespace

Hearthstone Esports Global Franchise Lead
Oct 27, 2017
This video is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This is great! Neo Geo was impressive as straight-up arcade hardware, but to think that you could have that at home (for a price) was amazing as well. I wouldn't get one until around 1997 or 1998, and I didn't keep it for long. LOL

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Pit me into the group of kids dreaming to have a Neo Geo, which I in the end got. The size of those cassettes I'll never forget! And man did that video showing glimpses of different games that I remember of both having and wanted, trigger my nostalgia. For some reason I never forget standing in a shop watching a demo of Nam-1975 and just dreaming of that damn machine.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if there's one thing that hasn't changed it's that AES collecting still seems prohibitively expensive! /s

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The NeoGeo was all first party titles right? Was there any reason why 3rd party developers never developed for it?

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The NeoGeo was all first party titles right? Was there any reason why 3rd party developers never developed for it?
I think a few other developers supported it but it wasn't much. Data East and Yumekobo are a few that come to mind.

I think the long support run (ended in 2004?) for the HW also probably attracted a few third party developers over time.

I'm probably wrong on lots of this because my knowledge is admittedly not that deep.

This site has a detailed master release list, but you'll have to click it yourself on the left side navigation bar.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
7zyQ9de.gif

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my Neo-Geo AES and MVSes, and love em. Amazing devices, especially for their time

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Weird channel - the person sure does love 90s trade shows and fireworks...

Anyone check out the Sega VR presentation they have on video? Pretty amazing just how tangible this was. $200 too.

youtu.be

Sega VR

Alan Hunter (of MTV fame) introduces the Sega VR headset at the 1993 Summer Consumer Electronics show. The headset was discontinued prior to release.

SEGA getting hip with MTV and Alan Hunter.

Edit: Pronouns

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never had the OG Neo Geo but I traded both my Super NES + megadrive + money for a Neo Geo CD+KOF94 in the mid90s
It was great

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome video.

Man, I *still* want a damn Neo Geo, lol. All I have is a Neo-Geo mini and the NGPC. To this day I don't think a console has released that was more "you aren't rich enough to have this" than the original Neo Geo...

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Man I still have Neo-Geo envy looking at that footage, even today. The AES is one of the coolest home consoles ever made, IMO.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I was lucky enough to attend the 1992 CES in Chicago with my father. It was practically magical, being able to play so many games well before release. Cybernator and Out of this World were my favorites.

While this video is from the previous years' show, it still brings back some great memories. Kinda overwhelmed with nostalgia right now.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What's up with the casual Star Trek TNG business outfit at 4:51?

I can't remember, was that actually a thing back then? Or was this basically business cosplay?

Awesome video - really puts in perspective how advanced SNK was at one point. But you also have to take into account how much more expensive they were back then.

Deleted member 4874

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember going to either the 92 or 93 show when I was 8 or 9. All I remember was seeing this ring thing you stepped into that mapped your movements like an early version of Kinect which blew my mind and waiting in line for like a half hour to play a WWF video game only to lose in under a minute. There was a lot going on.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
FM Towns cameo @ 4:47 🤩

Man, the 90s were such a magical time for gaming hardware. It was the wild west for the market, rapid tech advancements and all those companies going at it, trying out all kinds of stuff to make a breakthrough and get a piece of the pie. There was always something new and exciting coming around the corner.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Just around TNG Season 3 or 4 was hitting TVs? At a videogame convention? Can't be a coincidence.
But it's pretty cool that it works. Can't see anyone pulling this off with modern ST uniforms :P
Ha, let's see what others think with this pic.

I see she's wearing a belt and necklace too I think. There's no Starfleet badge that I can see.

tBZIS5n.png

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The Neo Geo was truly a mythical console. I always wanted one, and still to this day I personally don't know anyone who ever had one.

It didn't even fell within the category of "I know an uncle of a cousin of a friend who has one". Not even they owned it.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The Neo Geo was truly a mythical console. I always wanted one, and still to this day I personally don't know anyone who ever had one.

It didn't even fell within the category of "I know an uncle of a cousin of a friend who has one". Not even they owned it.

I got mine in 1999. I sold a copy of Dragon Ball GT Final Bout on PSOne prior to the reprint, bought a Neo-Geo AES w/ Samsho 1 and 2 and still had money left over.

Oct 26, 2017
Buying a Neo-Geo AES wasn't too bad in the early 2000's. No idea what they go for now, but I should probably sell mine at some point. Besides the novelty factor of THE BEST LOOKING CONSOLE EVER TO EXIST, I can obviously play all of those games in better ways now.