• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Let's say Sakurai/Nintendo personally contacted you after announcing FP2 to offer you the opportunity to decide which characters would be in the all-women FP2. Let's also say Min-Min was already decided on by Nintendo so you have 5 more to decide on, of which at least 2 must be first party characters. For third-parties, you can have more than one character from the same company, but not from the same series (also applies for first-party series). Who would you have picked?

For me...

1. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
latest

Planned as a tie-in to promote XCDE, even if she isn't in that game. She fights with dual guns and katanas as well as her special attacks Shadowstrike and Ghost Factory.

2. Impa (Legend of Zelda)

Planned as a tie-in to Age of Calamity, her moveset is largely inspired by that game. She has alt costumes based on her other appearances in the series.

3. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
images

Chosen as a Capcom rep, she fights with different firearms modified to fit Smash's family friendly aesthetic like Snake's, as well as flash grenades, throwing knives, and a taser/stunner. She has outfits based on her other appearances.

4. Tracer (Overwatch)
Tracer_Overwatch_2_portrait.png

I will admit I've never played nor seen someone play Overwatch and I'm an old timer who nevertheless is including her for the youngins. I'd like to say she can have alts of other Overwatch women but I'll need to get someone's professional opinion on whether that's doable.

5. Carmen freakin' Sandiego (needs no introduction)
latest

Yup, you heard me. Sakurai and Nintendo let me have whoever I wanted, and I want a Latina, and there's probably no one more famous than this iconic lady. I'm not even the first one who thought of this crazy idea, and she seems like someone Sakurai would have a ton of fun designing a moveset for.

Impress me!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
-2B/A2
-Jill Valentine
-Lady (DMC)
-Lady Maria (Bloodborne)
-Coco Bandicoot

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Urbosa is way better than Wimpa. Urbosa is the BotW character we need. C'mon, folks.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
5. Carmen freakin' Sandiego (needs no introduction)
latest

Yup, you heard me. Sakurai and Nintendo let me have whoever I wanted, and I want a Latina, and there's probably no one more famous than this iconic lady. I'm not even the first one who thought of this crazy idea, and she seems like someone Sakurai would have a ton of fun designing a moveset for.

Impress me!
Holy shit, I've never seen her suggested before but that is BRILLIANT. I would love to see Carmen get in. And if she did, we 1000% would need the Rockapella song in too.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rhea - Fire Emblem
Kos-MOS/T-elos Xenosaga
Edelgard - Fire Emblem
Claire Redfeild - Resident Evil
Sister Friede - Dark Souls
Trish -Devil May Cry

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I think Jill is the most boring RE main protag, so I'd definitely swap her out for Claire.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Min Min (ARMS)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
Shantae (Shantae)

Personally, I want an all-female pass that fills out the rest of the slots after FP2 that highlights Nintendo's own female characters.

Cl6QKGh.png

OP
OP
Tochtli79

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Joanna Dark (using her design from PD64 remaster)
jodark_pd_08_big.jpg

Impa (Hyrule Warriors Pt. 1)
49_IMPA_SWORD_charchap_opt.jpeg

Dixie Kong
35-353228_dixiedkc2-dixie-kong-donkey-kong-country-2.png

Twintelle
20170526115812005175A9E8354E328724729A6641D0F22F.jpg

Nessa (using the Galar starters)
tumblr_psy0kgspqQ1tmibr6_1280.jpg

Urbosa
latest

Goddamn, now I'm sad.

Joanna Dark is a bold pick, I'd love to see her. Love the idea of Nessa too, I feel like Pokemon trainers deserve more representation.

Edelgard
Celica
Lyn
Erika
Caeda

Save this for the all-FE FP3 clearly. 🙌

Min Min (ARMS)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
Shantae (Shantae)

Personally, I want an all-female pass that fills out the rest of the slots after FP2 that highlights Nintendo's own female characters.

Cl6QKGh.png

I really hoped Medusa would get in as a newcomer in the base game, actually. Also love the idea of Captain Syrup.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Just want to say I really respect the Carmen Sandiego shout out.

Sometimes I forget about this character despite it being one of my staple PC games when I was a kid.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
1) Dixie Kong, who is to me the most glaring absence in Smash regardless of gender
2) Impa (perhaps a unique amalgamation of the ninja-like Impas; not necessarily super sold on the Age of Calamity design), alongside
3) Tetra, as a Zelda one-two punch. Tetra has had a surprisingly long life as a supporting character and I'm definitely a fan.
4) Chun-Li, one of the most iconic women in gaming
5) Xianghua, who is secretly the protagonist of Soulcalibur even if they don't use her in marketing materials, and a way more interesting choice than Siegfried or Nightmare

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
  • Chun-Li
  • Coco Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot and her would play the same)
  • Impa (I don't know where she originates from, I only know she comes from TLoZ)
  • Ring Fit avatar (Woman and Man, and like Wii Fit make the female version the default)
  • Wild pick: Lara Croft, Monster Hunter, Jill Valentine, anyone else you can think of, as long as it's not yet another FE character
Edit: Oh fuck I forgot Urbosa, yeah, replace Impa with Urbosa please.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
- Twintelle / ARMS
- Urbosa / The Legend of Zelda
- Pandora / Kid Icarus (Medusa cool too)
- Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
- Edelgard (Fire Emblem)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that Sega deserves the third-party inclusions most. They were Nintendo's console rival for so many years. I know these aren't realistic picks but let a Gen X'er dream.

Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)

Alis-landale-alt-profile.png

She's the protagonist of the first game in an epic series. I know there are a lot of sword slashers already but she's more important.

Piranha (Jet Set Radio)

e2cf16083789cf6eacdcc503a2959aa7.png

Super stylish and awesome.

Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)

bl.jpg

Just bad ass.

Some other Sega runners up:

Grace (Fighting Vipers)

gr.jpg

One of the forgotten icons of early 3d fighters.

Mary (Quartet)

doubletarget.jpg

For first-party:

Twintelle (Arms)

Ayumi Stewart (Wave Race)

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
  • Chun-li (Street Fighter)
  • Edelgard (FE3H)
  • Eiko Carol (FFIX)
  • H'aanit (Octopath)
  • Impa (BOTW)

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Birdo
Amaterasu
Kuon (Utawarerumono)
Kaine (Nier)

There aren't enough female characters I like that would be suited to a fighting game (i.e. they are pacifist characters in the games they come from, e.g. Madeleine from Celeste)

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I feel that Sega deserves the third-party inclusions most. They were Nintendo's console rival for so many years. I know these aren't realistic picks but let a Gen X'er dream.

Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)

Alis-landale-alt-profile.png

She's the protagonist of the first game in an epic series. I know there are a lot of sword slashers already but she's more important.

Piranha (Jet Set Radio)

e2cf16083789cf6eacdcc503a2959aa7.png

Super stylish and awesome.

Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)

bl.jpg

Just bad ass.

Some other Sega runners up:

Grace (Fighting Vipers)

gr.jpg

One of the forgotten icons of early 3d fighters.

Mary (Quartet)

doubletarget.jpg

For first-party:

Twintelle (Arms)

Ayumi Stewart (Wave Race)
Biased opinion, but Sega has the most awesome roster of female characters. Maybe Square Enix beats them though just by sheer volume of RPGs each with at least one good female character in it.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Arle Nadja (Madou Monogatari / Puyo), Impa (Zelda), Terra Branford (Final Fantasy), any Atelier female main character (would like Iris or Ayesha), Ashley (Wario Ware) and Shanoa (Castlevania).

OP
OP
Tochtli79

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Arle Nadja (Madou Monogatari / Puyo), Impa (Zelda), Terra Branford (Final Fantasy), any Atelier female main character (would like Iris or Ayesha), Ashley (Wario Ware) and Shanoa (Castlevania).

I really want this now. Also Terra though since I've been playing FF7R I was considering putting Aerith on my list.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
1. Elma Rhea
2. Urbosa
3. Tsubasa Oribe
4. Arle
5. Terra Branford

I think this is what I'd go with, but I'm tempted to sub out Min Min since I don't think she actually looks fun in Smash Bros. I think they leaned too far into the series mechanics, which is honestly a problem I have with a number of the recent fighters, but even more for Min Min than others. If I subbed out the Arms character, I'd probably sub in a Xenoblade character. Elma's a good pick, even if I'd personally want to rep XB2 (but that makes more sense to do with Rex involved).

EDIT: Removed Min Min anyway because I actually read OP this time.

yessss

Last edited:

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club
Jill Valentine based on her MvC appearance
Female Monster Hunter
Jill from Drill dozer
Lara Croft

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword Impa
Hyrule Warriors Impa
Age of Calamity Impa
Fat Impa
Old Impa

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. Elma Rhea
2. Urbosa
3. Tsubasa Oribe
4. Arle
5. Terra Branford

I think this is what I'd go with, but I'm tempted to sub out Min Min since I don't think she actually looks fun in Smash Bros. I think they leaned too far into the series mechanics, which is honestly a problem I have with a number of the recent fighters, but even more for Min Min than others. If I subbed out the Arms character, I'd probably sub in a Xenoblade character. Elma's a good pick, even if I'd personally want to rep XB2 (but that makes more sense to do with Rex involved).

EDIT: Removed Min Min anyway because I actually read OP this time.

yessss
Another person that chosen Rhea?! Hell yes!

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
- Lara Croft from Tomb Raider. Easily one of the most influential female video game characters (and one of the most well known video game characters as well) and is an icon of gaming as a whole. Additionally, she would have an incredibly varied moveset from all of her games.

-2B/A2 from NieR: Automata. Mostly here because I am a very big fan of the series and those two are very recognizable characters and I also feel like the moveset for them would be varied and fun as all hell.

- Carmen Sandiego. I just really like the suggestion from OP and she would be a great character to have be included in Smash.

- Shantae. Very large history with Nintendo and a cult classic character

- Tracer. Very big character and would likely be fun to play as

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Min-Min (obviously per the thread rule, but I'd have chosen her for ARMs anyway)

Dixie Kong
latest

This still remains not only the one character left that I really want in smash, but still sticks out me as an odd omission from the roster after all this time and accumulation of characters.
Acrobatics and surprising hair range would be the order of the day, add a bouncing bubblegum popgun that would "paralyse" akin to ZSS blaster, throw Rambi in the final smash so he can finally get his due as well.

Elma
WeujhXI.png

I'm honestly pretty indifferent to Elma and Xenoblade X,to the point that I heavily considered Melia, Morag or Lora here.
But XBX has a great world that I'd love to see as a stage, Elma might lose representation points due to her true form or whatever but still, her standard look stands out from the rest of Smash. On top of that dual swords and guns makes for a dynamic moveset that's like the usual JRPG swordie on crack.

Realistically Marina comes in a double whammy character with Pearl but sue me, I like my Octos way more.
Plenty of other Splatoon weapons yet to be touched upon that could be tackled here as well as specifically using Octo variations of standard stuff seen in Inkling's kit.

Captain Syrup
1200px-WLSSyrup.png

I'm quite a mark for Wario Land, which remains kinda glossed over in smash compared to Ware, no more I say.
That said this would have to be one heck of a outta thin air moveset, boss character or not, Syrup mostly just threw bombs from a little mech as I recall.
But then I recall her dinky henchman, the black sugar gang mooks that are like little spear men goombas and I'm thinking that here we have the mook ordering character, expanding greatly upon Dedede's old side special.
I think GGXRD had a character like this.

Brittany
Brittany.png

I like Pikmin but Olimar is SO BORING
So just let me squeeze lemon wedges at people, bowl some rock pikmin and I dunno.

I could easily swap out these last two for third party picks as you shake your fists at this first party "boy we're reaching now" list.
A grab bag of say Joanna Dark, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Tracer would be fine by me
My love for old school Rare definitely has me thinking Joanna could be great fun, any James Bond for melee ideas Sakurai may have thought of when the never gonna happen was floated by him could live on through Jo.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Ashley Mizuki Robbins (Another Code)
Juliet Starling (Lollipop Chainsaw)
MacKenzie (Touch Detective)
Sachiko Shinozaki (Corpse Party)
Shantae (Shantae)

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Shinobu (No More Heroes), Urbosa (Zelda), Twintelle (ARMS), Shantae (Shantae), Stella (Spiritfarer), Chell (Portal)

HPSauce

Jan 10, 2018
U.K.
Saber (Fate series)
Edelgard (Fire Emblem)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Urbosa (Zelda)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)