• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DS is

• Dark Souls

Votes: 403 15.4%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 35 1.3%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 21 0.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 71 2.7%
  • Don't Starve

Votes: 4 0.2%
  • Nintendo DS

Votes: 2,057 78.4%
  • Dog Station

Votes: 32 1.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
CosmicRomancer
Oct 25, 2017
Technical paper or essay? If you're that lazy copy paste the name of one of them and just paste it each time. For the other name paste it then edit the letters.
Actually I was just talking about writing an essay on Era lol.

Yeah you could do that, but I've just remembered--you could first write it out as their acronyms and at the end, do Ctrl+f and replace all the instances you wrote the acronym with the full title.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
MV5BMTg2MzczMzgzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODg0MjMxNDM@._V1_.jpg

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Overall? Nintendo DS

Game Software wise? Dark Souls

Though if someone said "DS", then it would instantly be for Nintendo DS.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Bah. The poll is wrong. When people on the internet won't shut the fuck up about how great DS is, how much they love DS, or how DS changed their gaming habits it is not usually the Nintendo DS they are yammering on about.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Unquestionably it's the Nintendo DS in a vacuum, but I think it's wonky to put it in the poll with games because it's obvious when you are talking about a game or console even just by placing "the" in front of it. Example:

I love DS.

You are talking about a game. Not the console. Unless you talk like a caveman.

I love the DS.

You are talking about the Nintendo DS console.

So it's for that reason I personally disregarded it as a valid choice and went with Dark Souls.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Easy.

When someone is talking about "The DS", what comes to mind?

Thought so.

Edit: Beaten :/

OP
OP
CosmicRomancer
Oct 25, 2017
Unquestionably it's the Nintendo DS in a vacuum, but I think it's wonky to put it in the poll with games because it's obvious when you are talking about a game or console even just by placing "the" in front of it. Example:

I love DS.

You are talking about a game. Not the console. Unless you talk like a caveman.

I love the DS.

You are talking about the Nintendo DS console.

So it's for that reason I personally disregarded it as a valid choice and went with Dark Souls.
Easy.

When someone is talking about "The DS", what comes to mind?

Thought so.

Edit: Beaten :/
It could be the royal 'the', as in I completed The Dark Souls and it was fucking excellent.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo for now.

once Dark Souls gets a few more gens it'll transcend all DS.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Well, when I saw the thread title, the only thing that popped into my mind was the handheld, so... yeah.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Nintendo DS is never really confused with anything else considering the context a console is used in is always different to a game.

So in other words, Dark Souls.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Thought this thread was going to be about what DS stood for with the Nintendo DS (Dual Screen vs Developer System vs other).

So pretty obvious that I think of it as Nintendo DS anyway.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Not even close Nintendo DS no contest. Dor dark souls youd just say souls and no other game even gets a thought when seeing DS

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
literally the DS made an entire genre of games with names of games that had the DS acronym.

Dark Secret
Deadly Silence
Dawn of Sorrow
Dragon Song
Dual Strike
Drill Spirits

iconic.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even in the context of gaming software (e.g. in the sentence "DS was one of my favorite games") my brain jumps to the handheld and I have to correct myself internally. Even moreso if someone is talking about the Dualshock since that's an actual piece of hardware (e.g. "The ergonomics of the DS are soso").

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo DS is a 16 year old console that no one plays anymore. It never registers as a reference to that console when I see it.

First is Dark Souls, then second is Dual Shock (which isn't even on the poll).

Incidentally, Demon's Souls is never or rarely written as DS, it's commonly written as DeS.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I saw DS abbreviated I would think of Dark Souls because I've been playing that franchise for years. Haven't heard of anything related to the Nintendo DS in forever.