• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who will set the new benchmark?

• Halo Infinite -

Votes: 566 23.8%
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 957 40.2%
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales

Votes: 386 16.2%
  • Demon Souls Remake

Votes: 366 15.4%
  • Impressive game not in the poll

Votes: 541 22.7%

• Total voters

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
Nothing is free, but it's relatively light weight physics engine. Been around forever, first real showcase of its capabilities back in the day was Half-Life 2.

Edit: Free as 0USD? No, you license it.

Your first understanding of my question was the good one. Thanks for the reply. It was a rethoric question anyway.

Why has it to be light ?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you actually looked at the ground of the 2nd photo? Most of it is a flat texture with some low detail houses on top of it.
Flight sims were always like that. There are some "hero" buildings and locations, the rest is low res textures when you fly low to the ground. Once people play themselves and not just look at handpicked images and videos, they'll realize this too.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Console only? I don't think anything will.

RDR2 and Cyberpunk on PC looks better or at least in the same ballpark.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Dictator take it easy on us. You're like the architect in the Matrix so when you see Ellie ripping some dudes head off with the blood spraying perfectly against the walls and floor and his eyes slowly sink into the back of his head and the sun coming through the drapes I'm sure it all looks like - 111100101101010101101!!!![NOT EFFICIENT]11101001001010101

To the rest of us though we stop and think - "Did ND actually mo-cap killing a real dude for this?"

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say this is a step above TLOU2 is scope, but you are cheating, this is clearly PC footage?? No...
Sorry, I mean to quote someone that said he hadn't see RDR2 on PC so he can't compare. So I wanted to post examples, but I must have erased the quote from my post. Oh well.

Imagine thinking this when we have all these other amazing looking games out there... sigh.
Honestly, this. I don't really understand the point in constantly trying to crown a new graphical benchmark when so many games just look friggin amazing these days. And they all excel at different things.

I've seen some examples from TLOU2 that I haven't seen done better in other games. But I also feel the same way about RDR2, Control, Metro Exodus, Detroit.... etc etc.

OP
OP
Omnistalgic

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Imagine thinking this when we have all these other amazing looking games out there... sigh.
Uhhh no fun allowed gif?

this is a subjective thread. Many are saying RDR2 is their benchmark, or some other game besides TLOU2. This is the most impressive game I've witnessed in motion and it's fun to speculate on who will top it for me. Everyone who post you can essentially say are stating the same thing. Would you sigh at someone's top 5? Favorite rap album? Lol...

Feb 6, 2019
I want to see what Flight Simulator looks like when not connected to Bing Maps. What does the random/procedural ground look like?
It certainly helps it look realistic when the ground is literally real like Google Earth.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I jumped back on Red Dead Redemption 2 last month on the X and overall that still looks better than The Last of Us Part II on the Pro.

Only thing I'll say is TLOU2 has far better facial details, besides that I think RDR2 is ahead in most other aspects.

Insane that a 2018 multiplatform open world game looks better than a 2020 console exclusive.

If Rockstar remaster RDR2 for the PS5/XSX it will be scary how good it looks.

Oct 30, 2017
I jumped back on Red Dead Redemption 2 last month on the X and overall that still looks better than The Last of Us Part II on the Pro.

Only thing I'll say is TLOU2 has far better facial details, besides that I think RDR2 is ahead in most other aspects.

Insane that a 2018 multiplatform open world game looks better than a 2020 console exclusive.

The X1X is still some pretty powerful hardware. And RDR2 probably has the highest game budget of all time still.

I think it sounds about right that some people still regard it as king.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I can see it getting a Series X update for sure, just because it's on Game Pass. Getting it to 60 and upping the graphics settings will give me a reason to jump back in again.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I went back to rdr 2 yesterday to check if it still holds up compared to tlou 2. I think rdr2 looks better for me, just the sheer macro detail and dynamic open world with day and night cycle is just breathtaking. Also native 4k has such a sharp image. I really think think that tlou image quality /resolution brings down the visuals a lot. That and I noticed quite a bit of shadow pop in in near distance

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I feel Ghost of Tsushima will blow everything out of the water regarding visuals. It also helps the game's artistic direction is amazing.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
every game without film grain. looks horrible with hdr on

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I guess Cyberpunk has a good chance at that.

But really, I think the best looking game with a confirmed date of 2020 is Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any games are going to combo out do tlou2 in terms of art direction and tech. A game is a sum of its parts and what tlou2 presents on screen in terms of the whole package animating is peerless and it'll be a long time before anyone raises that bar imo.

Cyberpunk 2077 getting a lot of votes, seems odd to me. Being first person gives it a free pass in terms of all kinds of tech solutions ND had to come up with that makes cp far easier to create, but these problems this game doesn't have to solve are therefore a missed opportunity to impress on the same level. Just being in the genre it is also makes all of this highly unlikely, massive multiplat open worlds make compromises by necessity. If they do manage to pull this off then bravo, we'll all eat, but a game struggling to reach market doesn't seem like a prime candidate to me.

Go back to sleep, a game made on an engine released next year is not releasing this year ;-)
Strange you mention that when comparing a linear game with open world games. Open world games have to deal with way more stuff that a linear game, so i guess we could say TLOU2 gets a free pass, right?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
TBH Flight Simulator is basically glorified google maps with impressive clouds and dynamic lighting. Clouds look amazing, but there is not much there.
You can travel the whole world and the detail on the ground is much better than a glorified google maps would get you. I think it's hard to compare to other games, since the ground detail isn't their main focus and the scale is way different. But it's a incredible looking game.
Facts, I feel like I'm spamming this pic but. I feel like this screen isn't even doing it justice.
Gameplay pic btw, not photomode.

thelastofuspartii_202b3kbd.png
This looks insane. Naughty Dog did it again and developed the best looking current gen game.
Wrong, AI is calculated by Azure, not your CPU, it's a cost you don't have to be worry no more for your drawcalls as a dev. So more ressources freed for other things.
You still need AI to calculate animals, plane, ... .
SOurce ? Since it's just about speed, altitude, and wind ? Simple maths.
Imagine saying it's simple math when developers of sim games have dedicated physic nerds to develop the flying or driving model of their games, while making it efficient.
No interaction with the world means less to calculate. No explosion to simulate, no soft body, no water to splash, no colision, etc...
Sure, a game like flight simulator, Asseto Corsa, Gran Turismo have less physics calculations than games with explosions. You do know most of the big destructive set pieces in games like Uncharted are precalculated?

Flight Simulator has to simulate wind and how it affects the plane. That alone should take up a lot of CPU power and then there are the different weather calculations as basically everything is dynamic iirc.
To be honest, I think it will take a while until a better looking game will be released.
It will take until PS5 and Series X launch. The first The last of us on PS3 looked incredible and people said the same. Then Killzone, Ryse, ... released and TLoU wasn't the best looking game anymore.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see Cyberpunk running with all the bells and whistles enabled. That and Miles Morales are the two games I'm dying to play this fall, both will be smokers, for sure.

TLOUII is going to be hard to top because the overall art direction is astounding. They've got a ludicrous amount of HQ art assets on display and everything is cohesive. Nothing stands out as being subpar, which is so impressive. Polished beyond the reach of many studios.
Jkw8WX5.jpg

KmuVzBX.jpg

jQPTtWy.jpg

Jan 21, 2019
Different games do different things great but the level that TLoU2 is on is just insane. So much polish, so much detail and when talking about animations, there is no other. Halfway through the game I noticed the characters nostrils move during cutscenes or the way Ellie plays with her fingers when she is nervous. I don't think I have played a game that has shocked me so often graphically. Every new location made my jaw drop.

I mean. how many games can pull of a convincing kiss, or clothing being taken off or put on, or the light piercing the iris at an angle? My wife who watches me play most AAA games always kept pointing out how crazy good the eyes look. She didn't do that during Red Dead, or God of War or any other big game.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's not what i saw in the gif you posted, in fact, only one of the leaves move.
To be fair more leaves moved due to ellie, even thought more subtle. But it wasn't perfectly simulated like his post suggests to me imo and there was clipping. I guess we'll get much more accurate physics when we moved past Jaguars. Won't be perfect either, but presumably much more accurate.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel Ghost of Tsushima will blow everything out of the water regarding visuals. It also helps the game's artistic direction is amazing.
It looked ok. Sometimes good, sometimes kinda bad. Certainly won't be blowing anything out of the water. In fact, nothing blows anything out of the water these days. The bar is too high for that. At best, you can do 1-2 things better than othre games.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, ND are wizards when it comes to graphics. I'd even say we'll be well into the PS5's life cycle before we see anything that matches TLOU2.

And it'll probably be from Naughty Dog again lmao

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Man I have a rather different impression after the last state of play. I don't think GoT is blowing out a dang thing.
I feel you are too harsh. The artistic direction alone is worth 60$. When have we played a game with so much beauty (both in art/music) and such a large scope? At least the particle effects deserve a mention.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you are too harsh. The artistic direction alone is worth 60$. When have we played a game with so much beauty (both in art/music) and such a large scope? At least the particle effects deserve a mention.
RDR2 friend. And just now TLOU2 as well. TLOU2 might be linear, but it's a massive linear game with a absurd amount of environmental detail and variety.

But you're right maybe I'm being too harsh. I just came away unimpressed after that presentation.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
RDR2 friend. And just now TLOU2 as well. TLOU2 might be linear, but it's a massive linear game with a absurd amount of environmental detail and variety.

But you're right maybe I'm being too harsh. I just came away unimpressed after that presentation.
I have finished RDR2 and it looks amazing but I guess it's all about preferences. I favor samurai cinema to westerns so that may be it.
Funny enough, that presentation got me on board. Goes to show how much opinions vary.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Facts, I feel like I'm spamming this pic but. I feel like this screen isn't even doing it justice.
Gameplay pic btw, not photomode.

thelastofuspartii_202b3kbd.png

My only issue with this area (as gorgeous as it is) is that I instantly went to photomode to capture it and once you can free spin the camera around you can see all the gaps in the foliage that just have flat textured rocks and stuff behind them and it's just a narrow corrider. You can't explore off of this one, admittedly deeply detailed, pathway. Like, what's there is gorgeous, but it's a themepark ride. I wanna explore this lush forest, but it's just got invisible walls six feet to either side of me.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohh when was the PS5 upgrade announced?
What new features are coming because if its just a resbump and fpsbump it isnt going to change the world.

RT is GOD!

Which one Cyberpunk or the TLOU2?
Because ive seen alot of TLOU2 once the embargo got lifted, hell even the DF video covers it in detail and from there im still saying its not beyond RDR2 and doesnt look like some benchmark title that a bunch of games cant meet.

I read your post and dont understand what you are trying to say.
Are you basically saying everyone is entitled to their opinion or what?

In race of graphics you cant say they dont compete, they are both games wit graphics....if one was textbased or FMV the whole way through sure you could say we cant compare graphics, but they are both rasterized so we can discuss them in a graphics discussion.....and Flight Sim 2020 looks better than TLOU2.

I'm sorry but playing TLOU II on an HDR 4k TV using a PS4 Pro is a World away from watching a terrible bitrate YouTube video of it and this applies to all games.

The DF guys will tell you the games look nothing like as detailed even in YouTube's "4k" mode.

Also TLOU II gets more and more visually insane the further you get into the story. I'm guessing the DF tech analysis shows clips from maybe the first five hours. A lot of the truly insane visuals happen after hour ten.

There's nothing that comes close to TLOU II this gen from a visual, enviromental, micro detail and character detail / animation perspective imo. It's an utterly ridiculous technical accomplishment in so many different ways.

Jan 21, 2019
My only issue with this area (as gorgeous as it is) is that I instantly went to photomode to capture it and once you can free spin the camera around you can see all the gaps in the foliage that just have flat textured rocks and stuff behind them and it's just a narrow corrider. You can't explore off of this one, admittedly deeply detailed, pathway. Like, what's there is gorgeous, but it's a themepark ride. I wanna explore this lush forest, but it's just got invisible walls six feet to either side of me.
That's the power of a cinematic angle. Many times cutscenes look much better because someone is controlling your view, the second you can use the camera yourself all the brilliance breaks down. It's like the same scene being pictures by an amateur and a pro fotographer.

Also TLOU II gets more and more visually insane the further you get into the story. I'm guessing the DF tech analysis shows clips from maybe the first five hours. A lot of the truly insane visuals happen after hour ten.

There's nothing that comes close to TLOU II this gen from a visual, enviromental, micro detail and character detail / animation perspective imo. It's an utterly ridiculous technical accomplishment in so many different ways.

That is so true, the middle and end parts are much more impressive than the beginning areas.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It'll look better than 2077 as they're both current gen games and Part II has the advantage of smaller scope.

I think Spider-Man will take the crown though as it's built exclusively for next gen.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I dont expect anything to come out this year that will top TLOU2.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Yeah I dont quite get the praise for The Last of Us 2.

Dont get me wrong, the game looks great, but the only aspect where the game really stands out are the faces. I think in all other aspects, there are already games out there that look better than TLOU2, like RDR2.

I also think with the advent of ray-tracing and the new consoles, TLOU2´s visuals will age very quickly.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I dont quite get the praise for The Last of Us 2.

Dont get me wrong, the game looks great, but the only aspect where the game really stands out are the faces. I think in all other aspects, there are already games out there that look better than TLOU2, like RDR2.

I also think with the advent of ray-tracing and the new consoles, TLOU2´s visuals will age very quickly.
Yeah i said it earlier in the thread i believe. RDR2 from a world perspective and "sharpness" looks better. Faces and animations wise by far TLOU2.
In the end its difficult to say "who sets a benchmark" as there is no overall thing.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I started playing TloU2 yesterday. Even from the little that I've played my jaw was on the floor.
I play on a 110" screen. The game is so immersive and the graphics are insanely impressive.
Can't see other game toping it so soon.