• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dat anglocentrism.

Mao.

Yeah this thread is hella anglocentric lol. No fucking way will 99.9999999% of Presidents be remembered by the average person 1000 years from now, America won't even be around then. Nobody will give a fuck about JFK or Obama except historians.

Mao is a good one, I considered mentioning him before. I think only Lenin comes close to the influence he had as a communist figurehead. People mention Stalin but Stalin was simply the heir of a state who presided over it during historic moments, his actual legacy will be forgotten. Mao will likely be still studied as long as China exists as a nation-state.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, most of these are misses - at least, William and Godwinson weren't already born, and Aethelred was already dead.
1020 is a shitty lull. Abnormally unimportant decade, honestly.
1000 years exactly is a bit of an arbitrary yardstick, to be honest. I'm sure tons of critical stuff was happening exactly 1000 years ago, but the records are sparse enough that we only get glimpses of things every few decades or so.

In 1000 years, assuming we haven't regressed to the pre-information age, people will have access to an archive of all the shitposts and hot takes we put up here on a daily basis and it won't even be hard to look up. I bet AI translation tech will even read out our posts in whatever future language the researcher speaks and give every user here a customised voice based on our vocabulary, word usage and basic demographic information.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I hate to say it, probably Trump. At least, he'll be remembered in the same way as Nero is today, in his capacity as being largely responsible for the fall of America. (Assuming anyone's around to remember anyone, as has been said ad nauseum already.)

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I feel like the question will be more manageable if we talk about in terms of specific circles/communities as opposed to a universal, super-sweeping lens.

- Shakespeare and Sappho may still be names to the poets.
- Maybe Marx and Freud for the Western academia, because it's so easy to consolidate their mantras to other schools of thought.
- If novels will still be a thing, then Murasaki Shikibu will range from being a trivia answer to a Biblical name for the critics studying them.
- I feel like the Ramayana will endure, but I don't know which name associated with it will be invoked the most.
- Confucius will still be a name.
- Superheroes are such a young conception that I can see them sticking around for at least another century. Superman and Batman still appear to be the most likely candidates to endure. 1000 years, though? I'm not sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, who cares? (this should be the answer) Let's hope humanity is still around to look back 1,000 years from now.

To that end, we should all be acting selflessly in the service of future generations and be putting our collective effort and resources together to reconfigure energy production, industry, and infrastructure to net a sustainable yet high-quality standard of living for the population at large.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
- Superheroes are such a young conception that I can see them sticking around for at least another century. Superman and Batman still appear to be the most likely candidates to endure. 1000 years, though? I'm not sure.
We remember Hercules in his various incarnations, along with the characters from the Iliad (Achilles, Cassandra, Hector and Odysseus). It's basically the same thing and those stories are much older.

Same goes for King Arthur (Arthur, Merlin, Lancelot, Guinevere, Gawain et al) and Robin Hood (Robin, Maid Marian, Little John, Friar Tuckman, the Sheriff of Nottingham etc.) or The three musketeers (D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, Aramis, Milady de Winter, Cardinal Richelieu). Every age needs its larger than life hero mythology. It just so happens that in our age those heroes wear capes.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Hitler, Mao, Lenin, Neil Armstrong, Gandhi. Elvis, and Einstein seem likely to endure.

Maybe Michael Jackson, Queen Elizabeth II, Osama Bin Ladin, Steve Jobs, Marylyn Monroe, Michael Jordon, Stalin, and Trump.

It's hard to say. So much could change and happen between now and a 1,000 years later.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
An absolute ton of people.

People still remember Dante Alighieri for writing sick burns about Popes in his Bible fanfiction. The bar to be remembered in a thousand years is way lower than you're thinking it is in a world where information is easily created, spread, and stored in reasonably non-fragile formats.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
We remember Hercules in his various incarnations, along with the characters from the Iliad (Achilles, Cassandra, Hector and Odysseus). It's basically the same thing and those stories are much older.

Same goes for King Arthur (Arthur, Merlin, Lancelot, Guinevere, Gawain et al) and Robin Hood (Robin, Maid Marian, Little John, Friar Tuckman, the Sheriff of Nottingham etc.) or The three musketeers (D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, Aramis, Milady de Winter, Cardinal Richelieu). Every age needs its larger than life hero mythology. It just so happens that in our age those heroes wear capes.

I opted to omit mythological figures because I feel like they're a given. Orpheus, Oedipus, and Icarus will still be remembered. Semi-legendary figures like Yoshitsune, Cleopatra, Macbeth, and Joan of Arc? Sure. I'm curious to see how superheroes will continue to coexist with these characters. I don't doubt that they can, but it's hard to ascertain how many of them will be remembered, whereas even the most minor of myths have amassed a substantial scholarship.

I feel like superheroes are closer to Dracula and Frankenstein than they are to mythology. Outside of Poe, Dracula is still the Bible for Gothic literature, while outside of Wells, Frankenstein is still the Bible for science fiction, and both of them still have massive pop culture potency. Superman and Batman will be the same. They'll be heavily dissected by the scholars and the hardcore fans but also super enjoyed by the general audience.

Just to broaden this further, it's interesting to see which characters from pop culture and nerd culture will last, from Harry Potter, Sherlock, Goku, Mickey Mouse, Mario, Elsa, Cinderella, Hello Kitty, Winnie the Pooh, etc.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Challenge: name someone who you're 100% sure was alive in 1020.

Like...... I have a pretty good grasp of history and historical figures, I can name lots of people who existed at some point between like 500 and 1200........ But I'm not sure I could confidently name a person who I'm *sure* was alive exactly 1000 years ago in 1020. If I go through the names of every person born between 1000-1020, I know very few of them. Like Pope Leo but... Throw a rock and you hit 15 pope Leo's.
William the conqueror

Close enough

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Only someone directly responsible for the colonization of mars or Armageddon will be remembered in 1000 years. I mean, there will be records of important people most likely but they won't really be remembered.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
1591784.main_image.jpg

Zinedine Zidane will be remembered for eternity for headbutting piece of shit materazzi

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Einstein primarily. Many of the classical artists that have been remembered and celebrated in the past 1,000 years. Maybe Musk or Bezos for setting up colonization projects off world. More than likely the person who either builds the tech to solve global warming or helps invent the next stage in energy generation.

Or humanity will kill itself off, either through war or global warming, or some other means and no one in the universe would even know we existed.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I hate to say it, probably Trump. At least, he'll be remembered in the same way as Nero is today, in his capacity as being largely responsible for the fall of America. (Assuming anyone's around to remember anyone, as has been said ad nauseum already.)

If Trump is the "death" of America, is a country that survived less than 300 years really that important on the world scale? It's barely a blimp. History classes in America barely (if at all) touch on the Ottoman Empire, and that listed significantly longer.

I have it on good authority that good ol' Greg was.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
The only person I could think of from the 1000s was Hildegard of Bingen, and she was born at the very end of that century.

I wonder if anyone in 1,000 years will still be listening to music composed today.

edit: After looking at Wikipedia for the year 1020: I can't believe I didn't think of Leif Erikson! He died in 1020, and probably gets talked about more in US schools than anyone else from a few centuries before or after.

Last edited:

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean you aren't looking for people specifically from exactly 1,000 years ago, you're looking for anyone you remember from 1,000 years ago or more.

The fact that 1020 was a shit year full of shit people doesn't mean you're somehow unable to remember people from a thousand years ago who didn't suck.

So, you know, if you've ever played a Civilization game you can probably just go ahead and rattle off enough ancient dudes to keep us here all night.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We remember King Tut as more than just some failed loser king because we happened to find his body. We remember Richard the Lionheart because we named a sword after him in FFVIII. And Emperor Barbarossa makes an appearance in Suikoden.

It's going to boil down to just happenstance for who gets remembered.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I bet there are musicians, writers, film makers, scientists and philosophers living out of tiny apartments barely making ends meet who as we speak are just quietly plugging away at their careers in obscurity, fame and success eluding them. Then in thirty years' time, their work gets discovered by others and becomes the foundation of a movement that utterly changes the course of history.

I bet their mothers berate them about their much more successful siblings every time they speak on the phone too.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Neil Armstrong... like without a doubt.

Depends. I mean if we are colonizing other planets by then I doubt anyone will care about who first landed on the home planet's moon.
1000 years, at the rate that technology is progressing, I doubt the AI's that take over will care about much of our history at all.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Specifically 1020 AD is difficult, but from English history relating to the Norman Conquest I can name:

William the Conqueror
Harold Godwinson
Harold Hardradr (sp?)
Edward the Confessor
Aethelred the Unready (May have died just prior I forget)
Cnut the Great

So that's seven people involved in one event that would later turn out to be a turning point in world history thanks to the UK being the nexus of the later industrial revolution.

There are other people whose names I'd recognise if I saw them and others still from earlier and later centuries who made a splash in European history (Duns Scotus, Bede, Charlemagne, El Cid, Occam, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Averroes, Al Ghazirm, Alexios the Great etc) plus others from the Middle East and China who at least get name recognition even if I'm shaky on the timeline.

I think a thousand years is enough time that the average person won't remember much, but historians will still be arguing about people like LBJ, Deng Xiaoping and Mikhail Gorbachev 1000 years from today and anyone who takes an interest in history will at least recognise the names.

Pretty sure William the Conquerer wasn't born yet, but his father had to have been, and on a historical trivia level was supposedly known as "Robert the Magnificent," which is a way cooler thing to be remembered as than "the Conquerer."

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. I mean if we are colonizing other planets by then I doubt anyone will care about who first landed on the home planet's moon.
1000 years, at the rate that technology is progressing, I doubt the AI's that take over will care about much of our history at all.

For some reason I feel like if we are colonizing other planets that would only further cement Armstrong as a name remembered in the history books. Like to this point the moon landings are peak human accomplishment, I just can't see him being forgotten.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Bill Gates. The foundation is saving millions of lives. Once it can make those self sustaining toilets billions of lives. Maybe not in America but definitely in Africa.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Never underestimate the power of the First Post.

Diogenes died over two thousand years ago and we still remember him for being the first crazy homeless dude.
And for his gigantic brass balls. When Alexander the Great rolled through, he specifically went to meet with Diogenes, asking him "What can I, Alexander, give you?"

Diogenes, who had been sunbaking, responded irritably to the undisputed master of the Greek world "Get out of my sunlight."

Alexander laughed and remarked "If I weren't Alexander, I should like to be Diogenes."

Without missing a beat, Diogenes shot back "If I weren't Diogenes, I should also like to be Diogenes."

But to your point, it all depends on how much future societies can relate to our time and place now. How consequential does our time period right now feel to them? We clamber over ourselves to compare our times with the Roman Republic or the Roman Empire of Antiquity, but don't generally think about the Roman Empire of the Medieval period except to point out that the Byzantines did some stuff too.

For all we know, the future population of Earth and its planetary colonies will identify with China much more than the Anglosphere and Europe. We'd be seen as an interesting but exotic sideshow, the way the Medieval Arab world plays second fiddle to the Latin West in our own histories, forgetting or ignoring that it formed the centre of wealth and power in Western Eurasia for hundreds of years.

It may go like this: Oh yeah, these periphery powers made some furtive moves to put people into space, but things didn't really get moving until Hong Li and his crew of adventurers founded the first permanent colony on Titan.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Scientists that have their name on stuff, like Boltzmann, Planck, Einstein, Hawking, Turing, etc. Also some evil dudes like Hitler and maybe Stalin. Some good dudes too I think, like Gandhi

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Newton because calculus will still be kicking everyone's ass

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Carey. His face emerging from a Rhinocerous Anus will be the only video image to survive the 20th century

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Like...... I have a pretty good grasp of history and historical figures, I can name lots of people who existed at some point between like 500 and 1200........ But I'm not sure I could confidently name a person who I'm *sure* was alive exactly 1000 years ago in 1020. If I go through the names of every person born between 1000-1020, I know very few of them. Like Pope Leo but... Throw a rock and you hit 15 pope Leo's.

my mind immediately jumped to william the conqueror but turned out he was born in 1028 looking it up

Hitmeneer

Oct 30, 2017
An absolute ton of people.

People still remember Dante Alighieri for writing sick burns about Popes in his Bible fanfiction. The bar to be remembered in a thousand years is way lower than you're thinking it is in a world where information is easily created, spread, and stored in reasonably non-fragile formats.

Well... He is considered to be the father of modern Italian language and his fan fiction has been quite influential for centuries.

I vote for Einstein, Hitler and Musk if he makes it to Mars.

No way that athletes or Steve Jobs will be remembered.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
1000 years? Household names? From the last 100 or so years?

Hitler and Einstein. Nobody else.

Somebody alive today might end up on that short list. But they haven't done the thing that will get them remembered yet.