• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which price getting announced first?

• PS5

Votes: 831 54.4%
  • Xbox Series X/S

Votes: 697 45.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I hope it's Sony, since that's the console I want to buy, but Microsoft launching first makes sense with them revealing the price first.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Journalists in the know will get bored, someone like Jason Schreier will leak the price of the PS5. Microsoft will then announce their prices, which undercut the PS5's leaked prices by $50. Sony will then announce their actual prices which will either match Microsoft or undercut by $50.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Voted PS5. Have to say the level of discourse in ascribing human emotions to these marketing plans is pretty cringe. The companies have marketing strategies and aren't arrogant, scared or confident or lacking confidence because they aren't following whatever head cannon of a strategy you have devised is the perfect one. Also timing of announcement has nothing to do with how high or low the price will be.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
MS seems to be willing and hell bent on getting the last bullet point. Sony will eventually go first. And MS will undercut them by at least $50.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
I believe there will be a streamed rock-paper-scissors event with Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer to decide that.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking Sony right now but the longer this wait last the more I think it could go either way.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I suspect Sony will announce an event soon to drop price and launch lineup.

MS I presume will go first though because they have the XSS unannounced and they absolutely need to get on top of the messaging for that, so can't afford the details leaking and the public narrative poisoning the well before they've had the chance to try to control the narrative (like what happened with the XB1). They need to get out ahead of it.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft will have to take the hit because it seems Sony will literally do everything they can to not say $599 first again.

Can't blame them, what with the stigma the price carries for them after the PS3

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think Sony has more to lose since they have arguably the weaker console if they price it higher than Microsoft as then their only argument is they feel their selection of exclusives and services is worth more than Microsofts value. Which I would get the ps5 regardless but it turns into an eh argument.

In other words it doesn't really matter. Sony showed they can even be competitive when they are $200 more.

Sony is the market leader, they'll sell more consoles than MS almost regardless of price, they'll go first.

Microsoft are playing catch up and need all the advantages they can get, undercutting on price is one such advantage, they'll go second.

I am going to be disappointed in Microsoft if they buckle and announce first. I say let it keep on riding because the more Sony announces new events without pricing the PS5 the more obvious it is they want Microsoft to go first.

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft will have to take the hit because it seems Sony will literally do everything they can to not say $599 first again.

Can't blame them, what with the stigma the price carries for them after the PS3
I don't see why they would double their production forecasts if they are also afraid of meaningful price backlash.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft's whole launch strategy is a mess. PR is all over the place, Halo is delayed, they don't really have any next gen titles coming any time soon, they haven't even announced Series S yet. I anticipate that it will continue to be a mess. So they will probably delay the price announcement. Honestly, I feel like there's a non-zero chance they even delay the launch of the system (yes I know they said they won't, but it's not like they've walked back a bunch of stuff recently or just say empty PR stuff). I figure they're hell bent on undercutting Sony. If Sony are smart and confident in their supply chain they could really mess with Xbox.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Microsoft's whole launch strategy is a mess. PR is all over the place, Halo is delayed, they don't really have any next gen titles coming any time soon, they haven't even announced Series S yet. I anticipate that it will continue to be a mess. So they will probably delay the price announcement. Honestly, I feel like there's a non-zero chance they even delay the launch of the system (yes I know they said they won't, but it's not like they've walked back a bunch of stuff recently or just say empty PR stuff). I figure they're hell bent on undercutting Sony. If Sony are smart and confident in their supply chain they could really mess with Xbox.

$299 is a pretty great strategy.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The leak will definitely push Microsoft to make this official very soon. Will they announce the Series X price at the same time though?

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Microsoft will announce the Series X, but keep S price in their pocket until the PS5 is priced, so they can undercut if needed.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my idea that MS will go first because they have the cheapest console with Series S turned it to be right... kinda.

Sony seemed to be staying mum this week with the PSVR stuff which leaves the for open for MS.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
MS waits for Sony...

Sony announces PSVR Week...

MS: Forget this shit, we're going first!

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
What? (Looking at the result)
I'm 100% certain that Microsoft will go first.
Microsoft is trying hard to be consumer friendly and got the most powerful consol, they also got series s who will be cheaper.

They will announce series x for 599 and s for 299 and if PlayStation would surprise the world with a cheaper consol they will lower the price.

Cheaper then I predicted, altho it's very much in my line of reasoning. Just that they probably wanted to wait for ps5 before they cut down the price to 499

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
$299(xbox) and $399(PS5 speculation).

Going full digital only is looking good every day...

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Is any of this confirmed, looks like just another fake render & price guess to me.
Sources other than windowscentral?

Status
Not open for further replies.