• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which price getting announced first?

• PS5

Votes: 831 54.4%
  • Xbox Series X/S

Votes: 697 45.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
People say since Sony are the leader they would be going first but looking at Sony console history of pricing announcements for PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4...they haven't actually gone first for any of them.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
I'm curious to where this notion that MS is waiting for Sony to announce the price so they can undercut them is coming from. Sony could very well pull an Apple and announce the price like a month or so before launch and be fine. MS still has to announce Series S and market it on top of Series X. This idea that MS is perched like a hawk waiting for Sony to announce their price so they can immediately undercut it is quite silly. It's becoming more and more apparent that Sony announcing the DE caught MS totally off guard.
Because at multiple times Team Xbox has said that they don't want a repeat of E3 2013, and that they are going to be more agile (IE willing to take a bigger upfront loss) this time around

What threw a wrench in all of this was twofold:
1) Xbox couldn't keep Series S a secret
2) Sony was able to keep PS5D a secret

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be Microsoft. They need to announce Lockhart sooner than later and that means announcing price. Sony doesn't have the same pressure because they don't need to justify the Digital Edition's existence via price (which is why they already revealed it). They can wait longer.

Garegga

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Sony. The hype for PS5 is real and their marketing is already in full force. They need to open those pre-orders.
MS isn't ready - they can even delay the release if Sony wants to play the waiting game to the max.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I didn't expect Microsoft to be this scared of Sony.

By this logic Sony are also scared of Microsoft.

I'm going to go with Sony blinking first. Sony have shown in the past that they are super reactive to Microsofts decisions with the 'this is how you share games on ps4' video that was shown at the launch of this gen. Microsoft won't want to be humaliated like that again.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Sony's just waiting for Insomniac to give them the OK on Miles Gold Status before pulling the trigger. That's pretty much their golden ticket for this fall.
Definitely feels like they have more of a plan with the way they keep drip feeding stuff so Ill vote for them.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I think they should live stream both Phil Spencer and mark derby or some other Sony guy

they should both walk out and a mediator does a count down ...

"On the count of 3 shout your price"
"3.... 2.....1...."

phil:"$399!!"
Mark:"$499!!"

mediator: "ok let's lock those prices in!"
(I guess the mediator is Kyle bowman...)

Oct 29, 2017
Since Microsoft said they won't be beaten on price, they could go first, and if PS5 Standard is cheaper, Microsoft could then announce an even lower price to undercut Sony.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
🙄 I don't think it's, necessarily, a game of chicken at all. I think Sony is taking their time to work out logistics with retailers on how to launch a system during a pandemic; official retailers might hand out PS5 masks n so forth if they're counting on big groups at brick n mortar locations, social distancing solutions, etc. And how Amazon would handle the influx with this launch when they already had problems with bigger games prior this year. This all has to be figured out before the price drops and you decide where to shop.

If MS made the decision to undercut Sony they could do so now by going $399 (if even possible for SX) but it's probably more of not wanting to get undercut rather than do the cutting.

I say MS is going first.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
I didn't expect Microsoft to be this scared of Sony.

By this logic Sony are also scared of Microsoft.

I see it more like they both respect their competition, they both messed up really bad the last time they didn't take the opposing team seriously and are giving their best shot at it this time around, no holding back.

There is a case to be made that for the first half of a generation most house holds will only have one of the two platforms. I would guess ~80 million or so homes are single platform for majority. That is a lot of money on the table from platforms fees, 30% digital distribution fees, monthly subscription, and PVOD charges.

Sony has publicly stated that each launch console is worth ~$1600 in revenue, and $700 overall average for every console sold.

On the Microsoft side of things, as much as they say they don't care about where you get your gamepass, that's complete bull, they care alot.
A PC gamepass sub is worth a lot less than a Series gamepass sub since the PC sub will most likely still be using another storefront for a large portion of their 3rd party purchases.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like MS needs to undercut Sony to have a chance this gen. I think they're willing to wait as long as necessary for Sony to go first.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony will announce first. They seem to have more of a marketing/launch plan.

Crazy to see where this all started with silent Sony and MS loud and proud. How the tables have turned.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft has got a trillion dollars in the bank and can afford to sell the Series X cheaply.

/s

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony.

They are arrogant and trying to sell a premium experience.

MS are in no rush and will happily wait for Sony to go first then undercut them.
Microsoft no longer plans to release a new console in the region of $500 in November?? The upcoming console that isn't the premium option hasn't been announced yet and MS is running out of time to do so and position it for launch. Sony on the other hand has been more transparent in putting both SKUs on the table at once, and letting consumers know what they'll be getting in advance. This in mind, what makes you think that MS is in no rush, but Sony is? Would the reverse of that situation not also be viable?

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
They should just have a shared event with kerney on one side and phill on the other.

count down from 10 and at one they both flip a board to show the price.

enough with this "no u first" thing they got going.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Is Sony really threatened by the Series X ?

All polls show that people really prefer the PS5.

But tbh that communication, and COVID has nothing to do with this (not speaking of games/delays) it was arrogant, stupidly trying to overhype for months...The thing is releasing in November, we still do not have important information like the launch line-up and the price...it's a joke.

Look at Nvidia Ampere reveal, the bloke is in his kitchen, he did one HELL of a presentation, clear, simple...price revealed (and it's a nice price !).

I remember simpler times when those companies did not think they were king of the internet and acted a little more humbly.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is one thing I do think about. Playstation is Sony's Golden goose. It is now their largest part of their business. It earns them the most money and it is their biggest cash cow. They need the PS5 to launch with a serious bang!

Microsoft on the other hand, they make more in one quarter from their cloud than the Xbox division could dream of. Microsoft has also moved to a more service based company, and they sell games on steam (extremely well, consistently top ten for multiple games) as well as building their cloud services and game pass subscriptions.

I feel MS are in a stronger position to delay the release of the Series S...If they feel they have to, and focus on services.

Sony need to sell boxes this year, and a lot of them. They are the company that have stated that they want double the PS4 sales in the first 6 months and to increase purchases of the box over 2013. I don't know how they do this, if they don't open pre orders soon.

I think Sony have to go first.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
They won't give the prices. You'll just buy the damn thing at some price. Maybe online, maybe from the store. There are no prices on display. The staff won't tell you. So you go to the checkout and pay. Still no price. Afterwards you try to check from your bank account and the amount is just blurry or pixelated or missing. But money has been taken from you.

It'll be years from now scientists find out the prices. And it'll always have been 599 for both.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Sony delay launch till Feb 2021
Microsoft already confirmed Series X will drop regardless of any actual 1P games in November.
Microsoft release Series S in February undercutting PS5.

So it will be MS -> Sony -> MS on price announcements

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Neither, you'll walk into the store on launch day and have to play a Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland style guessing game over the price. Offer too much and you'll never know but you get the console, offer too little and the clerk will take your money, mock you and throw you out of the store.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think the S gets announced until after the X so I think Sony goes first and MS goes second. But whatever, if Sony are cheaper, I would bet good money that MS will just match them.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
If Miles Morales is a launch game, I would say Sony, because they have yet to show much on that game, and they could take that opportunity to talk about HW again.

If Series S comes out this holiday, I would say Microsoft, because they have another console coming out this holiday and they have yet to talk about it.

If both scenarios are true, who knows xD

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
No one. Prices will never be announced even well into next-gen. Whoever buys one of them needs to sign an NDA regarding the price and accept it no matter what

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
The only thing that requires pricing > a week before release are pre-orders. And yet even a pre-order price can be subject to change (payment isn't taken until the goods are dispatched).

My guess is that Sony will announce an estimated pre-order price early, but maybe revise the price after MS announces the XSS.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony will go first, maybe even this week.

He said they will not be out of position on power or price, referring back to how the Xbox One was one hundred dollars more expensive than PS4 and less powerful. I interpret that as XSX will be priced accordingly with its performance, relative to the competition. In other words, it could be the same price or even just a tad more expensive since it is a tad more powerful.

I think the whole reason MS is waiting is because if Sony goes high then MS will go high as well and minimize/reduce loss, but they are prepared to take a loss to make sure they're not undercut significantly.
Agree.

Not being out of position on price or power can mean a few things. I think ppl need to stop thinking it means Series X under cutting PS5 and be open to other interpretations.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how many think it will be Sony when they clearly shown they're ready to wait till the last minute by starting ad campaign without price and release date.
MS on the other hand HAS to reveal price and date in the coming 2 weeks because they have a console to reveal that the only appeal of it is price.

It's not even a question, MS will go first. Sony is gonna do their event in the last week of September, book this.

That's a good point about the ad campaign with no price. That does show some confidence tho...arrogance or?
Sony.

They are arrogant and trying to sell a premium experience.

MS are in no rush and will happily wait for Sony to go first then undercut them.

No longer arrogant, violent.
Or maybe MS is hoping Sony goes high so they can go high as well and reduce/minimize loss on each unit sold.

I feel both are pulling hairs out over this.
Because at multiple times Team Xbox has said that they don't want a repeat of E3 2013, and that they are going to be more agile (IE willing to take a bigger upfront loss) this time around

What threw a wrench in all of this was twofold:
1) Xbox couldn't keep Series S a secret
2) Sony was able to keep PS5D a secret

Agree. The worst and best kept secrets.
I think Sony will announce first. They seem to have more of a marketing/launch plan.

Crazy to see where this all started with silent Sony and MS loud and proud. How the tables have turned.

Yup, I keep saying so much has changed for both since last year.
Sony delay launch till Feb 2021
Microsoft already confirmed Series X will drop regardless of any actual 1P games in November.
Microsoft release Series S in February undercutting PS5.

So it will be MS -> Sony -> MS on price announcements
Omg, lol. This has to be one of the wildest scenarios I've seen posted.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Plot twist: we won't know the prices at all. It will be revealed when you pick up the console and agree to pay.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I think it will be Microsoft, all things point to them releasing the console first right?
So in the extreme, Sony could wait until MS actually start selling it and by that time it should have a price lol

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I think one these companies will do it first, its just a matter of which one goes first tbh.

I'm thinking Microsoft first cuz Sony has never announced their price first. but honestly I'm tired of waiting. just someone please announce a release date and price goddamn!

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think sony had planned to go last.
They were never meant to be at E3, and surely believed that MS would announce a price at E3.

I'm not sure if there is a game of chicken, it just is some marketing strategy to go last, having the last word.
Now i think sony will go first, they changed the marketing in germany from "That is new on PS5" to "PS5 - coming soon".

Status
Not open for further replies.