• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aloy

• Jin Sakai

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • Deacon St John

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • Abby

Votes: 254 26.1%
  • Aloy

Votes: 348 35.8%
  • Knack

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Astro Bot

Votes: 120 12.3%
  • Sir Galahad

Votes: 21 2.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I had to choose between Abby and Aloy...I don't like that decision making. I voted Abby, but Aloy and Abby are my joint favorites. Also where are Yuna and Lady Masako on this list?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This constant TLG shade in these best of polls... smh. It's Trico

HappyNearAfghanhound-size_restricted.gif

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
How could anyone not put Trico? I mean especially over the putrid shit that is Deacon St. John. I refuse to believe there are people that would rather spent 40 seconds in a room with Deacon vs. a blinking LED that I stuck a post-it note on that said "Astro bot."

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Let's put it this way, the nature of the character wouldn't feel out of place, if it was exchanged to a typical male one. Or alternatively, from the top of my head, don't you think a character like Chandler in Friends has more feminine qualities than Joey?

What I'd really like to see in games, and popular culture in general, is strong effeminate male (or MTF) characters, similar to the LBGT ones in Star Trek Discovery, but I guess we aren't there yet. In that sense, TLOU2 was a disappointment, as it once again reinforced the appeal of masculinity in leading characters, and I also wished the trans character would have been a strong MTF one for once.

Speaking of which, I just looked at the definitions for effeminate, and I think it speaks volumes.

Not to mention, that virile is a synonym to masculine, and its antonyms are effeminate, unmanly, impotent.

As for the strikingly opposite definitions of masculinity...

But we're going widely off-topic here.
All that and you still haven't explained why Abby isn't feminine.

All your doing is pushing some stupid ass gender essentialism bullshit.

Anyway, any vote that isn't for Abby is factually, objectively incorrect. Especially if that vote instead goes to Galahad.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Also where's Atreus?
Nobody likes Atreus

Are you seriously suggesting, that Abby doesn't have stereotypical masculine qualities, that go beyond her appearance? You can't be so blind, that you haven't seen how femininity is seen as a negative trait in the popular culture, and how masculinity is put on a pedestal. Feminine male characters are always either weak or freaks; comic reliefs at best, psychopaths at worst. Never heroes. From that perspective, TLOU2 doesn't break any new ground, but only follows the usual line of course.
Let's put it this way, the nature of the character wouldn't feel out of place, if it was exchanged to a typical male one. Or alternatively, from the top of my head, don't you think a character like Chandler in Friends has more feminine qualities than Joey?
...There's a couple of things wrong here.

You are right that (traditional) femininity is often seen as a negative trait and masculinity, a positive trait. But on the other hand, you're swinging too hard in the other direction, which is to reinforce gender roles (bad) and diminish gender-non-conforming people/characters (worse). You are basically projecting those gender-conforming attributes on the characters themselves, ironically.

Worse, by saying things such as that Abby could be replaced by a typical male character, you're basically erasing representation that is meaningful to a lot of women (including myself, who relate to Abby in many ways). Also, saying TLoU2 doesn't "break any new ground" is kind of shitty, considering the milestones the game reached for AAA gaming (openly gay protagonist, major trans character who isn't the butt of a joke, muscular female protagonist with a male love interest). Lots of women and LGBTQ players found meaningful representation in TLoU2, who are you as a cis-man to take that away from them?

I think you mean well, and wanting greater diversity of representation in terms of gender expression is a good thing, as is wanting to see femininity get represented across a broader spectrum. But wanting effeminate male characters or "traditionally" feminine characters (who aren't harmful stereotypes) doesn't mean there is no room for what you perceive to be "masculine" heroines, nor should it mean that it's accurate to even call those heroines as "masculine".
Frankly, saying you could replace Abby with a man is really insulting and reinforces harmful notions of what it means to be a woman or feminine. Especially since you struggle to explain how Abby is not feminine to begin with.

In other words:
All that and you still haven't explained why Abby isn't feminine.

All your doing is pushing some stupid ass gender essentialism bullshit.
Pretty much.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Aloy_%28Horizon_Zero_Dawn%29.png

Aloy is definitely number one. She's super dope.

show

Jin quickly became the second. He's a great character.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit surprised at the Jin love. I'm about halfway through the game and he still feels like a bore. Maybe he shows more depth down the road.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
You are right that (traditional) femininity is often seen as a negative trait and masculinity, a positive trait. But on the other hand, you're swinging too hard in the other direction, which is to reinforce gender roles (bad) and diminish gender-non-conforming people/characters (worse). You are basically projecting those gender-conforming attributes on the characters themselves, ironically.

Worse, by saying things such as that Abby could be replaced by a typical male character, you're basically erasing representation that is meaningful to a lot of women (including myself, who relate to Abby in many ways). Also, saying TLoU2 doesn't "break any new ground" is kind of shitty, considering the milestones the game reached (openly gay protagonist, major trans character who isn't the butt of a joke, muscular female protagonist with a male love interest). Lots of women and LGBTQ players found meaningful representation in TLoU2, who are you as a cis-man to take that away from them?

I think you mean well, and wanting greater diversity of representation in terms of gender expression is a good thing, as is wanting to see femininity get represented across a broader spectrum. But wanting effeminate male characters or "traditionally" feminine characters (who aren't harmful stereotypes) doesn't mean there is no room for what you perceive to be "masculine" heroines, nor should it mean that it's accurate to even call those heroines as "masculine".
Frankly, saying you could replace Abby with a man is really insulting and reinforces harmful notions of what it means to be a woman or feminine. Especially since you struggle to explain how Abby is not feminine to begin with.

Thanks so much for that!!!

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm a bit surprised at the Jin love. I'm about halfway through the game and he still feels like a bore. Maybe he shows more depth down the road.
He really grew on me, I felt they did a great job at developing him in subtle ways throughout the game, and by the end I was totally invested in his fight.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Voted for Aloy but Deacon was a great close second. I really felt for the guy and would have made similar choices or reacted the same as him given the circumstances.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Aloy! It's cool that we got a leading lady in such a big game, plus she also has one of my favorite new designs.

I also gotta give love to Abby! ND knows how to make likable characters, even when you expect to hate them

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, I'm just being facetious, I don't hate Atreus, but does he really have a big fandom/following? I kinda doubt it. (Probably more than the Order dude though lol)
He does among the God of War stans, but I think this poll is (wisely) just counting playable characters, so he can go kick rocks until he's old enough to be moved by a left thumbstick.